Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shanahan The GM is Broncos' big problem (Sporting News Article)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by richardthebronco View Post
    The article hit the nail on the head, when is pb going to wake up and make changes to turn this around ?

So much for your moratorium on bashing Shanahan....You lasted about as long as I did the first time I saw Fast Times at Ridgemont High....

Comment

Originally posted by Rds5532 View Post
      http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=302275

Shanahan The GM hasn't fared much better in the trade department. A second-round pick was sent to Green Bay for receiver Javon Walker, who was solid in '06 after tearing up his knee the prior year but now is having more trouble with the old injury. This year, cornerback Dre' Bly was obtained in exchange for two guys (running back Tatum Bell, offensive tackle George Foster) no longer in the team's plans, but Shanahan then paid too much money to lock up Bly beyond this season.

31 out of 32 GM's in the league would make that trade!
      sigpic
      AMPIPE

Comment

Cugel wins the thread. Everyone go home.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Two current examples

This article could have been re-written and only the names and dates changed. What am I referring too? Mike Holmgren and Andy Reed. Here are two examples of coaches who were in the same position as Mike Shanahan. Within at least two years of being removed from the GM role in their repspective franchises they both were in the Super Bowl. I think maybe Denver should take these two coaches as an example of what they need to do in order to improve the franchise.

SIG BY Snk 16

I adopted #50 Ben Hamilton. GO O-LINE.

Comment

I cant say I have been thrilled by alot of the drafts and free agents the Broncos have brought in and lost over the years.

But It never ceases to amaze me how writers write things so 1 sided.

This writer.
            Mike Florio
            Points out The Broncos' turnaround was immediate. With a roster aided by multiple salary-cap violations.

Humpbobby
            How many of these violations can he really name but yet he writes like he is an expert on the subject.
            If you was to ask him to name one he would say I will have to get back to you on that one.

Mike Florio
            Free agency, for example, has been a nightmare for Shanahan The GM. Defensive back Dale Carter, signed in 1999 while in the substance-abuse program, was suspended for a full year in 2000. Shanahan signed defensive tackle Daryl Gardener in 2003, giving him a big-money deal for which he never provided anything in return. Running back Travis Henry, who came to Denver one whiff of a doobie away from a one-year suspension, was Shanahan's prize offseason acquisition this year but has tested positive for marijuana and is awaiting an appeal hearing before a suspension kicks in.

Humpbobby
            He fails to point out very key and great free angents like
            Ed McCaffrey,Howard Griffith,Mark Schlereth,Bill Romanowski,John Lynch and the list could go's on but why does he not tell you about these free agents cause they go against his story.

Mike Florio.
            Then there's the draft. Shanahan The GM's high-profile mistakes include burning a first-round pick on wide receiver Marcus Nash in 1998, a first-rounder on cornerback Deltha O'Neal in 2000, a first-rounder on cornerback Willie Middlebrooks in 2001, a second-rounder on defensive end Paul Toviessi in 2001, a first-rounder on receiver Ashley Lelie in 2002, a first-rounder on Foster in 2003, a second-rounder on linebacker Terry Pierce in 2003, a second-rounder on receiver Darius Watts in 2004 and (drum roll, please) a third-rounder on running back Maurice Clarett in 2005.

Humpbobby.
            Like I said at the top im not completely happy with the way the Broncos have drafted over the years.

But for one bad draft pick he points out anyone of us could name you 2 good ones that the Broncos have drafted under Mike Shanahan.But hey cant point them out either why cause that goes against his story

Mike Florio
            So, in this era of heightened accountability, how can Shanahan continue to escape scrutiny from above? Owner Pat Bowlen should be paying closer attention. Still, if it took eight years of mediocrity to get Bowlen to notice, how many more will it take to get him to care and make a change?

For the sake of Broncos' fans, that number is hopefully less than eight.

Humpbobby
            I was done with this aritle after the first paragraph but after reading this crap Im sorry I read on.I dont know what problem Mike Florio is having in his life.I dont know maybe he needs a new job and he is learning he has zero job skills.

But his last line should read
            For the sake of Bronco's fans I will stop writing such onesided utter crap about the team and stop acting like I care cause you know I dont. go Patriots.
            :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

Stop criticizing the guy

IMO the OP was on spot with everything except the jay vs jake comments. Even if Denver made it to the playoffs last year we would have been ousted in the first round. Is that worth it for all of us to see? I'd rather get Cutler some playing time and miss the playoffs than watch Plummer get us there and get destroyed again. That to me is wose in my opinion. It's about time for shanahan to give up is GM power and hire someone that can recognize some real talent. Anyone could see that Cutler has the talent but out side of Cutler, Shanahan's GM decision making is suspect.

Comment

Overstayed Welcome?

So....

With the poor history of picks and terrible judgement can we make Shanny just the Coach? If Sundquist is happy letting Shanny do his job, shouldn't we get rid of him and bring in someone with some damn motivation!!! *** Bowlen?!!!!! Even after 3 SB appearances, Bowlen wouldn't even let Reeves call the plays, but he lets shanny run the team?!! I don't get it... I just don't get it .....

Comment

Originally posted by tcron1971 View Post
                  This article could have been re-written and only the names and dates changed. What am I referring too? Mike Holmgren and Andy Reed. Here are two examples of coaches who were in the same position as Mike Shanahan. Within at least two years of being removed from the GM role in their repspective franchises they both were in the Super Bowl. I think maybe Denver should take these two coaches as an example of what they need to do in order to improve the franchise.
                  That would have been an unbeatable argument in early February 2005! At that point, Shanahan's drafting had sucked horribly for 5 years (the article points out all the failures, with the exception of Clarett who wasn't much of a failure because he was an unimportant draft pick).

Unfortunately for the "Shanahan sucks as a GM" argument -- which I made at the time --- is that the last 3 drafts have been better and better, culminating in one of his best ever in 2007.

2005 yielded Darrent Williams in the 2nd round, starting CB until his tragic death, Foxworth, a good nickel CB, Paymah, who may just be beginning to pay some dividends -- we'll see, and Chris Myers in the 6th round who is now starting at C in place of Tom Nalen on IR. Not a bad draft considering they didn't even have a 1st round pick!

2006 is shaping up as a great draft, with two valuable starters taken as late as the 4th round:

1st round - Cutler himself - Great pick. Traded up to get a franchise QB who is already proving himself in his first full season. When he gets some experience in this league and learns not to throw so many picks and the offensive line gets better, then I'm fully convinced he will be the by far the best QB since Elway and a pro-bowl caliber QB (behind Manning and Brady maybe but one of the best).

2nd round - Tony Sheffler -- He's been inconsistent but is a good pass-receiver with decent hands and good speed. Jury still out on whether he'll develop into a top pass-catching TE, but still a valuable weapon already in his second year.

4th round - Brandon Marshall -- now the starting WR and the best offensive weapon Cutler has with Javon out of the lineup and Henry hurt.

4th round - Elvis Dumervil -- 8 sacks, three forced fumbles - who is hands down playing the best on the Broncos defense this year (nobody much is throwing at Champ, but he's been beaten at least twice so far this year, once for a TD, and Dre Bly has been playing very well, but he also has been beaten for a couple big TDs).

6th round - G Cris Kuper, who is now starting at LG in place of Ben Hamilton.

2007 added 4th rounder DT Marcus Thomas who is already starting, 2nd rounder DE Tim Crowder who is already starting, 3rd round G Ryan Harris who has now moved into the OL rotation, and Jarvis Moss, who was proving valuable in pass-rush situations before his injury and who will need to develop next year to justify his first round selection. But, he has talent and speed, which you can't teach.

That's three very good drafts in a row and significant proof that Shanahan has turned the corner on his failures at GM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel View Post
                    That's three very good drafts in a row and significant proof that Shanahan has turned the corner on his failures at GM. [/COLOR][/B]
                    I've noticed that as well... and noone has said anything bout him but for as badly as DJ played in the preseason he has lately really played well. I remember reading some stuff from FO that basically said he has played very well as of late but has little help around him (this was a couple weeks ago)

I know that was a 1st and SHOULD pan out... but still...

I for one have been VERY happy with our last three drafts. I just wish Shanny would trust the draft more now since he has really improved in that area.....

but either way I hope he doesn't go I don't think letting him go would leave us in a position to find anyone better.... at least for our club right now.
                    Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                    Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                    Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

I'm a proponent of making a change from Shanahan, but this guy is pretty over the top. Some of his criticisms have a basis mind you, but much of what he says is just disingenuous. I'm not a big Shanny fan, but I'm not going to endorse this guy's mindless bashing.
                      Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by tcron1971 View Post
                        OH?? Are you sure you want to use them as your examples??? How are both these teams doing NOW just a few years after their SB appearances?? Have they proven to win as consistently as Shanahan has?

Comment

Originally posted by richardthebronco View Post
                          The article hit the nail on the head, when is pb going to wake up and make changes to turn this around ?
                          Honestly.... I've read a lot of bashing on these boards about shanahan... and most of those arguments were MUCH better than what the writer of this article used.

He wasn't even close to being accurate on most of his comments. I was pretty disappointed in an article put out by a reputable rag..... this guy is an idiot. The fact that you actually backed him up on THIS article, doesn't speak volumes or you either.

Comment

Not many succeed at both.

Comment

Originally posted by JoRo View Post
                              I've noticed that as well... and noone has said anything bout him but for as badly as DJ played in the preseason he has lately really played well. I remember reading some stuff from FO that basically said he has played very well as of late but has little help around him (this was a couple weeks ago)

I know that was a 1st and SHOULD pan out... but still...

I for one have been VERY happy with our last three drafts. I just wish Shanny would trust the draft more now since he has really improved in that area.....

but either way I hope he doesn't go I don't think letting him go would leave us in a position to find anyone better.... at least for our club right now.
                              I don't know if you noticed, but Ian Gold played well in the KC game. He had 6 tackles and a sack, second on the team to Abdullah's 8.

That was because the lousy KC offensive line was being blocked effectively by the front four, enabling Gold to move laterally to the ball.

That is exactly what the defense is designed to do, but the crappy D-line play has allowed blockers to penetrate to the second level and Gold has been taking on blockers weighing about 100 lbs. more than he does most of the season. Result? He hasn't done too well until last game. (He's also missed some tackles which hasn't helped).

If the Broncos want to win, they have to have the same kind of effort from the front 4 that they had against KC. The problem is that most OLs are better than the Chiefs, which makes it tougher for Denver to block them consistently.
                              sigpic

Comment

Well, the writer sure as hell doesn't know football.

Wait 1 year.

See what the clown has to say then.

Comment

Working...
                                X