Graham A Major Dissapointment IMO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graham A Major Dissapointment IMO

So when people bash Graham for dropping/not catching passes and that we overpaid BIG time on him, it seems to me like most of you say that its okay because we brought him in as the best blocking TE in the league, not for receiving.

If that was the case, why not save about half of the money spent on Graham and just sign an even better blocking tackle to fill in the TE position?

If he is struggling to catch and get involved in the passing game, and he is only being used to block, then the team might as well put a pure-blocking lineman in there who would be dropping the same passes Graham is.

It would save millions for the numerous needs the Broncos have.

Before you say I'm an idiot, think about my logic, it makes sense.

P.S. - Even a lineman can catch 5 yard passes when they are wide open, which has been the highlight of Graham's receiving career in Denver.
    Go Selvin!
    Shake and Bake All Day Long!

sigpic

Waisting money

I totally agree with you about Graham. IMO Denver seems to waist money left and right case in point "Rice". Denver needs to do a better job controlling the cap. We constantly have cap issues and we seem to overpay players. It would be nice to find another Sharpe late in the draft but that's a dime a dozen. Maybe the Broncos need to hire someone else who better at judging talent.

Comment

Originally posted by erics2001 View Post
      I totally agree with you about Graham. IMO Denver seems to waist money left and right case in point "Rice". Denver needs to do a better job controlling the cap. We constantly have cap issues and we seem to overpay players. It would be nice to find another Sharpe late in the draft but that's a dime a dozen. Maybe the Broncos need to hire someone else who better at judging talent.

if our o line could block and was healthy, we wouldnt have to use grahm on double teams all game long and could send him out to catch, why you think we start with 2 tight end sets.....grahm is the one guy really left protecting cutler they use him to help bolster the weaker side of the line when it comes to blocking, if we had a strong line we wouldnt have to use him for double teams, he would then be able to run routes and show us why we got him in FA however he is doing what he has been asked by the coaches, and doing it well, so....we may have payed him more than we should have but his lack of production does not fall soley on his shoulders but on the coaches for asking him to block everydown, this is why schef gets most of the catches whenever we have 2 tightends in because schef cant block like grahm, give the guy sometime...the we will see, if he was thrown to more than 2-3 times a game and still couldnt get it done then i would have a serious problem, but despite a couple drops he doesnt get oppurtunites from the play calling because of his blocking skills

oh and we are lucky to have a tight end like grahm and schef because we can use 1 for blocking well and 1 for spreading the field which is what we do! schef is almost soon to be a #1 tight end as far as stats are concerned
      elevation INC
      GO BIG OR GO HOME
      Last edited by elevation INC; 11-10-2007, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by erics2001 View Post
        Rice doesn't affect our cap at all next year.

I think Graham has been a great addition his blocking ability has really saved Cutler's ass a number of times.

Get a better blocking tackle for half the price? You find me that tackle LOL.

Comment

I like how you guys talk about wasting money like it belongs to you.

I have no problem with anyone's opinion.

But so far this season has had a lot of disappointment in it.

If you are going to harp about players and free agents that the Broncos have brought in this season.

Get in line and write a bigger thread using more then one player and put that logic to better use.
          :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

Originally posted by humpbobby View Post
            I like how you guys talk about wasting money like it belongs to you.

I have no problem with anyone's opinion.

But so far this season has had a lot of disappointment in it.

If you are going to harp about players and free agents that the Broncos have brought in this season.

Get in line and write a bigger thread using more then one player and put that logic to better use.

specify you guys next time not all of us talked about wasting cap money

Comment

Yea I will be sure to do that thanks for the 101.
              :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Comment

Originally posted by dodgehunter13 View Post
                So when people bash Graham for dropping/not catching passes and that we overpaid BIG time on him, it seems to me like most of you say that its okay because we brought him in as the best blocking TE in the league, not for receiving.

If that was the case, why not save about half of the money spent on Graham and just sign an even better blocking tackle to fill in the TE position?

If he is struggling to catch and get involved in the passing game, and he is only being used to block, then the team might as well put a pure-blocking lineman in there who would be dropping the same passes Graham is.

P.S. - Even a lineman can catch 5 yard passes when they are wide open, which has been the highlight of Graham's receiving career in Denver.
                They aren't going to move the chains like Graham has shown the ability to in the past.

He might be a disappointment this year, but so is Dre Bly and Champ Bailey.

Comment

Its hard to say that Graham hasn't been a big 'receiving' threat, when our OL has needed the help so much this season. If you guys thought he was brought in to be a TG or Antonio Gates... then you just expected too much from him, and didn't understand the role he was brought here for.

If you want to think that Graham was 'yet another bad signing'.... fine. That seems to be the theme of EVERYONE's thoughts lately. You know what happens when you throw shat against the wall. It slides down, and thats what happened to these boards. A few want to start making big rukus about signings and such... and continue to post the same thing.. and EVERYONE down the line wants to jump on that..... just NEEDING a reason and a person to blame.

Comment

I don't think Graham is playing to his potential... but what did you really expect from the guy?

Lots of catches and yards? I didn't...

I at least expected him to be a factor in the RZ, but he hasn't been.

Comment

Originally posted by dodgehunter13 View Post

I understand what you are saying, but I'd like to point out a little counter side to your statement. I live in Jacksonville, so I'll compare Kyle Brady.

The Jags used him ONLY to run the ball, and he was one of the best blocking TE's (in my opinion) and didn't do too well when he was in passing routes.

The Jags let him go in the off-season and signed Tony Pashos.

The results in Jacksonville are pretty obvious.

Brady is now with New England and the Jags running game is not nearly as effective as last year.

Now the money they spent to sign Graham...not so sure they had to spend that much....
                      My 2011 adopted poster.........and and

Adopted by: and

Comment

Graham's asset is that he is a good blocker. That's why the Broncos brought him in. Still kind of an over-priced one if you ask me.

He has good hands, but not a burner. Still he's dropped a couple of passes that hit him in the numbers.

Scheffler is a receiver first, and a blocker second.

I am still baffled as to why Shanahan hasn't figured out how to use TE's since Sharpe left.

Schef shows glimpses and I think Graham could do more, maybe these guys just don't have the ability anywhere near what Sharpe had.

I suspect with so many injuries and adjustments to the OL, Graham's role as being a pure blocker rather than a receiving TE has completely changed his role for now and the Broncos plans with how to implement him into the offense.

There's always the "What-ifs" in the NFL. Makes you wonder how he would be utitlized minus all the key injuries.
                        sigpic

In this picture, Rivers explains why he thinks he is so good.

Is that Y=LT?

Comment

Graham is a waste. He's highly overpaid, I wouldn't mind if he was paid normally. Yes, he can't catch perfect passes - his gloves should help his stone hands.

He isn't really a good blocker too - I've seen him miss some blocks that resulted in Cutler sacks or QB hurries.

Comment

I like Graham, myself. If the rest of the offensive line could block like him, it might free him up to make a few more catches. Given some improvement in that department, I think he'll wind up being a clutch catcher for us.

Comment

These are the kind of threads that make me want to throw my computer screen against a kitten.

First of all, why the Hell did any of you ever believe that Graham would be an option here in the passing game? It was all TALK. That was to get him to come here.

With Scheffler healthy (a much faster, and better receiver) at tight end - and with Marshall and Stokley getting balls, (also consider when Javon Walker was healthy) and the occasional tosses to #4 receivers and check-down options for backs, where does Daniel Graham fit into this? How often is he one of the key options on plays called?

Face it. With Denver using more screens to receivers and running backs, along with getting two receivers and Tony Scheffler involved in the passing game - Graham isn't going to get a lot of balls. More often than not, the plays aren't calling his number.

Let's look at a break-down of our passing game.
                              • Marshall has 45 receptions for over 600 yards.
                              • Stokley has 26 grabs for over 350 yards.
                              • Javon Walker (injured) had 19 grabs for over 230 yards.
                              • Selvin Young, Travis Henry, Cecil Sapp and Mike Bell (as backs) have 33 catches combined for over 260 yards.
                              • Glenn Martinez has 11 catches for over 125 yards.
                              • Jackson and Clark combined for 7 catches for 50 yards.

That's ten different receivers catching balls, and a good share of them getting balls on a regular basis.

That's why Graham only has 16 catches for a buck fifty. In addition to that, he's a blocking tight end (and yes - one of the best, despite what Nick is saying) and does exceptionally well in that category. For a block or two he misses, he seals off about 10 great ones. He's fantastic in that sense, and he has been a huge plus in the running game, and has been training wheels for the new lineman playing on the field.

Was Graham overpaid? Yep. He had to be if we wanted him on the team. Everyone in free agency is overpaid, so people can really stop whining about it. Whoever we get next year will be overpaid considering their probably performance. When you have all those receivers catching balls and your role in the offense is defined, you're not going to catch a lot of passes.

If Graham ends the year with 30-40 balls and 300-400 yards. So be it. That means that our receivers like Marshall and Scheffler are stepping up and playing a more prominent role in our offense. That's a good thing. Denver's on pace to have about 80 catches from tight ends this year, that's exceptional. We have some balance there and that's what we should be highlighting, not whether or not the guy is living up to his salary because obviously he's not. Nobody really is or ever does.

Comment

Working...
                              X