Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selvin is good, but I don't know if he can handle the load by himself.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Selvin is good, but I don't know if he can handle the load by himself.

    He has great vision and alot of speed, but when he is put in backfield situations or has a big player on him, he goes down like a sack of rice. He doesn't have the power to push through defenders like Marion Barber or even Travis Henry, but he does make up for it in speed. This can definitely work (see Tiki Barber), but not with our line as broken as it is right now. We need a punisher to soften that d-line up a bit, then we can put in Selvin get some big gains.


    I could just be jumping the gun, but as great as he is, I don't think he will be an every down back, atleast not for awhile. What are your thoughts?

  • #2
    Something I was thinking the whole game was that people always say "Broncos RBs are a product of the system", "my Grandmother can run for a 1000 yards behind that line.". However everyone who is following the Broncos this years knows that their grandmother can start on that line. So, as the game wore on I noticed that almost all of Selvin Young's yard were personal desire, and speed. I think he is the first back to have in awhile that was not a product of the system.

    I was pleased.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Uglybass View Post
      He has great vision and alot of speed, but when he is put in backfield situations or has a big player on him, he goes down like a sack of rice. He doesn't have the power to push through defenders like Marion Barber or even Travis Henry, but he does make up for it in speed. This can definitely work (see Tiki Barber), but not with our line as broken as it is right now. We need a punisher to soften that d-line up a bit, then we can put in Selvin get some big gains.


      I could just be jumping the gun, but as great as he is, I don't think he will be an every down back, atleast not for awhile. What are your thoughts?
      Well, he is just a rookie. Give him an offseason with professional trainers and see how he does next year. I'm not saying he will become an every down back but it's still possible.

      That being said, I wouldn't mind us going after a bruiser like Marion Barber or even Michael Turner. This is assuming Henry does indeed get suspended.
      "You can't take the sky from me..."
      ------
      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

      Comment


      • #4
        If *any* back can succeed, tell me why Henry has been, for the most part, a failure this year? Trust me, I've got him on my Fantasy team and he's cost me games w/ 3,4,5,6 point games the last month, I had already benched him before I heard he was out today, in favor of Chatman. Yes I know he's had some injuries but still...

        Young looks better back there than Henry for some reason...It doesn't seem logical, but his #'s are better.

        Comment


        • #5
          He is not alone.

          Others will answer the call of the orange and blue.

          Comment


          • #6
            A poor mans version of Reggie Bush.

            I agree that he may not be able to carry the load, but he does everything Bush does. Set me straight if I'm completely on crack here.

            He's not as fast or flashy, but he's just as versatile.

            He reminded me of Clinton Poorti$ a few times pass blocking today......

            Comment


            • #7
              Well Selvin ran pretty hard between the tackles and he has great vision. I agree about him being able to carry the load as a rookie if Henry gets suspended will be difficult. An offseason program should build him up to be an every down back next season if Henry isn't here.

              Comment


              • #8
                Selvin isn't a power back, but he hardly runs without being physical (like Tatum bell for instance). Watching him today with Priest Holmes on the other side, I started noticing some similarities there. Holmes never ran with a lot of power, and I don't see any reason Selvin Young needs to either. What Selvin does do is hit the hole hard, he almost always falls forward for extra yards, and he has that special gift for making people miss. From what he's brought us so far, I'm fine with the way he runs. He doesn't need to be a power back to be good.
                Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

                Team Tebow #108

                Yards, without points, mean nothing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Nbot View Post
                  If *any* back can succeed, tell me why Henry has been, for the most part, a failure this year? Trust me, I've got him on my Fantasy team and he's cost me games w/ 3,4,5,6 point games the last month, I had already benched him before I heard he was out today, in favor of Chatman. Yes I know he's had some injuries but still...

                  Young looks better back there than Henry for some reason...It doesn't seem logical, but his #'s are better.
                  Not putting up big fantasy numbers doen't mean Henry was a failure this year. I believe he was leading the league in rushing after about 5 weeks, before getting sidelined by injuries.

                  No, he didn't put up the TDs but you can look at our offensive line for a lot of that.

                  Henry is still a good fit for our offense. But of course that might not matter if he gets suspended.
                  "You can't take the sky from me..."
                  ------
                  "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                    I agree that he may not be able to carry the load, but he does everything Bush does. Set me straight if I'm completely on crack here.

                    He's not as fast or flashy, but he's just as versatile.

                    He reminded me of Clinton Poorti$ a few times pass blocking today......
                    Reggie Bush is already the poor man's Reggie Bush. Sorry but the guy is not that good. He's never shown that he can actually carry a rushing attack on his own. Selvin Young has already done that with just a couple starts.
                    Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

                    Team Tebow #108

                    Yards, without points, mean nothing.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DancingHorsey View Post
                      Reggie Bush is already the poor man's Reggie Bush. Sorry but the guy is not that good. He's never shown that he can actually carry a rushing attack on his own. Selvin Young has already done that with just a couple starts.

                      ..................

                      Touche!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Javalon View Post
                        Not putting up big fantasy numbers doen't mean Henry was a failure this year. I believe he was leading the league in rushing after about 5 weeks, before getting sidelined by injuries.

                        No, he didn't put up the TDs but you can look at our offensive line for a lot of that.

                        Henry is still a good fit for our offense. But of course that might not matter if he gets suspended.
                        Behind our oline when it was healthy he was a good fit. Now that he has poor blocking in front of him, not so much. Selvin Young is the better back for us right now as he's more able to elude unblocked defenders.
                        Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

                        Team Tebow #108

                        Yards, without points, mean nothing.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by DancingHorsey View Post
                          Behind our oline when it was healthy he was a good fit. Now that he has poor blocking in front of him, not so much. Selvin Young is the better back for us right now as he's more able to elude unblocked defenders.
                          I think people are quick to forget how many tackles Henry shrugs off. Young might have a better chance at breaking a long one but I still think Henry will more consistently pick up the yards.
                          "You can't take the sky from me..."
                          ------
                          "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                            ..................

                            Touche!
                            you stole my word
                            sigpic
                            -------

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Javalon View Post
                              I think people are quick to forget how many tackles Henry shrugs off. Young might have a better chance at breaking a long one but I still think Henry will more consistently pick up the yards.
                              May be a bad comparison.... but do you remember the Philadelphia Eagles with Deuce Staley and a young Brian Westbrook?
                              My 2011 adopted poster.........and and



                              Adopted by: and

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X