Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selvin is good, but I don't know if he can handle the load by himself.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Javalon View Post
    I think people are quick to forget how many tackles Henry shrugs off. Young might have a better chance at breaking a long one but I still think Henry will more consistently pick up the yards.
    I haven't forgotten his ability to break tackles. The point is he doesn't elude people, he overpowers people. The problem with that right now is that opposing defensive linemen and linebackers are straight up beating our blocking up front and against those bigger, stronger guys elusiveness is better than power.
    Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by DancingHorsey View Post
      I haven't forgotten his ability to break tackles. The point is he doesn't elude people, he overpowers people. The problem with that right now is that opposing defensive linemen and linebackers are straight up beating our blocking up front and against those bigger, stronger guys elusiveness is better than power.
      I'll respectfully disagree. Elusiveness is flashier but less reliable. Today it worked well for Young but in the long run (so to speak) it's easier to shut down when the defense is getting good penetration (unless you've got Barry Sanders in the backfield ).

That's okay, we're allowed to disagree. I like Young and hope he'll keep looking good, especially if Henry takes a year off.
      "You can't take the sky from me..."
      ------
      "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Bold prediction here; The Broncos finally hold onto a runningback.

Shanahan models the Broncos after the colts; dominant passing game, big offensive line and a runningback that can catch a defense off guard (think of Addai for the Colts who has the same playstyle as Young)

Then for defense we dominate the passing game and force them to run it just like we did today against the chiefs. Look at the colts superbowl team: dominant passing game a running game that primarily runs draws then a defense that prevents comebacks, IE good passrush and secondary.

Basically our philosophy will be get an early lead with a good passing game, limit the other team's offense to runs and short passes, keep building the lead and force the other team to pass. I know most coaches think run the ball and stop the run but last year the colts won a superbowl saying 'OK, run the ball, eventually we'll stop you and then our offense will score."

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon View Post
          I'll respectfully disagree. Elusiveness is flashier but less reliable. Today it worked well for Young but in the long run (so to speak) it's easier to shut down when the defense is getting good penetration (unless you've got Barry Sanders in the backfield ).

That's okay, we're allowed to disagree. I like Young and hope he'll keep looking good, especially if Henry takes a year off.
          yeah. I'm excited about Young, but at the same time I'm not willing to anoint him anything yet until we see some more games. I remember a lot of people jumping on the Q bandwagon pretty early.

The GOOD thing though.. was at least this game wasn't the same as when people rush against us. EVERY RB and team can run against us. The Chiefs defense is pretty good, and seeing him have a good game against them is pretty good.

Comment

no need to worry. When shanahan decides to trade all of the broncos picks this year to move up and get mcfadden. Selvin can coast around while d mac smashes into folks...............is anyone else glad that the broncs didn't sell the farm to move up and get CJ last year?
            Let's draft her....

Comment

If we trade up to get McFadden, which I doubt we'll be able to do, I think I'll puke. We need to stop trading away all our picks as a general principle
              Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by jumpslash View Post
                no need to worry. When shanahan decides to trade all of the broncos picks this year to move up and get mcfadden. Selvin can coast around while d mac smashes into folks...............is anyone else glad that the broncs didn't sell the farm to move up and get CJ last year?
                No. Right now we NEED a WR, and will probably be drafting a WR next season. Would have been worth it to sell everything and get a young RB that is playing in Minnesota right now though

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                  No. Right now we NEED a WR, and will probably be drafting a WR next season. Would have been worth it to sell everything and get a young RB that is playing in Minnesota right now though
                  need a wr...sure, i'll agree.........but one that's worth selling the farm for?? you'd rather have CJ in here than, moss, thomas, crowder and harris?........i dunno if i'd want to see that. CJ is pretty solid, but he can't sack the other team's qb, make a tackle in the open field, or block a dlineman....haha.....okay, maybe the last one.....maybe
                  Let's draft her....

Comment

Let's get someone to complement him, or at least split carries...

Travis Henry would actually be the perfect complement in my eyes, but he's a major question mark right now. Two completely different styles (one's a big play threat, one doesn't know the meaning of "big play"), somewhat durable, can handle a full load if need be. Too bad.

I'm not completey on board with spending a high pick on a back, especially if Selvin continues to be a solid player down the stretch. I'm not sure if you absolutely have to get someone who's a different type of runner, or a change-up...just someone who can be an effective ball carrier to keep the pressure applied. Somewhere between Tashard Choice and Chauncey Washington...guys like that. Bring them in and plug-and-play.

Can you imagine the possibilities???? Each guy carries 30 times....that's like an entire game's worth of time-of-possesion! WE WOULD DOMINATE EVEN TEH COLTS AND [email protected][email protected]!!

And speaking of Selvin's toughness...he may not run through a lot of tackles, but he sure steps out of 'em. He can get that extra yard too...I think he's proven that.

Comment

Originally posted by WABronco View Post
                      Let's get someone to complement him, or at least split carries...

Travis Henry would actually be the perfect complement in my eyes, but he's a major question mark right now. Two completely different styles (one's a big play threat, one doesn't know the meaning of "big play"), somewhat durable, can handle a full load if need be. Too bad.

I'm not completey on board with spending a high pick on a back, especially if Selvin continues to be a solid player down the stretch. I'm not sure if you absolutely have to get someone who's a different type of runner, or a change-up...just someone who can be an effective ball carrier to keep the pressure applied. Somewhere between Tashard Choice and Chauncey Washington...guys like that. Bring them in and plug-and-play.

Can you imagine the possibilities???? Each guy carries 30 times....that's like an entire game's worth of time-of-possesion! WE WOULD DOMINATE EVEN TEH COLTS AND [email protected][email protected]!!

And speaking of Selvin's toughness...he may not run through a lot of tackles, but he sure steps out of 'em. He can get that extra yard too...I think he's proven that.
                      Today I was thinking Mike Bell was the answer to that. I've been pretty disappointed in the lack of Bell we've been seeing this year. Hopefully his concussion finishes up well and he can stay healthy for us. Last year he was a great addition to the team. I think a tough runner like him is a great threat to have in end zone and short yardage situations.

I also like Hall in the rotation, he'll be a good call when we need a back up with some speed. I'd like to see Young with the starting position regardless and have Henry worked out of the equation, if this system gets going it would be more then worth it while in the long run.

But as far as trading or drafting someone to help out... I think that's what we need to stop doing, bringing new personnel into the run game, we need to let somebody get comfortable here. Travis isn't the answer unless maybe he gets off on a long shot victory in his battle with the NFL, I sort of hope it doesn't happen. As long as Selvin plays up to the level he is now, I could see our current run game get comfortable enough here to settle for a few years, as I think it should.
                      Last edited by Zealander; 11-12-2007, 12:10 AM.

Comment

i have been saying since day one that i like selvin better than henry. i like his speed . i would like selvin as starter and trade henry for a good safety or lb. also i love the way habdulla is playing.
                        sigpicSAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND

Comment

I hope Mike Bell or someone else can split time with him. He might get injured (like Tatum) if he is the main workhorse.

He's looking GREAT, looking like Priest Holmes and Marshall Faulk and Mike Anderson of old. Great explosion, speed, and desire. His attitude is the best I've seen.

Comment

Working...
                          X