• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have Selvin's 40 time???

Just wondering what the kids 40 was. Please post if you know it. Thanks
    sigpic:rockon:

EEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEE:rockon:

4.57 is what I found. He plays faster though.

Comment

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings....php?pyid=8838

His pro day 40 time was 4.58

His lowest 40 ever recorded is 4.52.

Comment

The kid is more agile and has a faster "playing speed" which is what is important.
        MMA News
        MMA News 247

Comment

Originally posted by champbronc2 View Post
          The kid is more agile and has a faster "playing speed" which is what is important.
          Yup. Big difference between speed, and game speed.

Comment

Originally posted by cadencesdad View Post
            Yup. Big difference between speed, and game speed.
            He outran KC while at the LOS to get plenty of yards so many times.
            MMA News
            MMA News 247

Comment

Isn't that about the sames as TD's?

Comment

He has good speed, not great, but the difference between 4.4 and 4.5 is a tenth of a second. A tenth. That is less than the time it takes for your brain to think about blinking.....

What is more compelling is the ability to know when to cut, when to zig or zag, when to pound into someone, when to dart around, etc. Those are the sorts of thing that cannot be taught. Young has those instincts that are augmented by good vision.

Speed is somewhat overrated when you are talking about one tenth of a second.....

Comment

Originally posted by Gulbrand View Post
                  He has good speed, not great, but the difference between 4.4 and 4.5 is a tenth of a second. A tenth. That is less than the time it takes for your brain to think about blinking.....

What is more compelling is the ability to know when to cut, when to zig or zag, when to pound into someone, when to dart around, etc. Those are the sorts of thing that cannot be taught. Young has those instincts that are augmented by good vision.

Speed is somewhat overrated when you are talking about one tenth of a second.....
                  The 40 time is overrated and a tenth of a second is extremely small, but a 4.4 guy will always out run a 4.5 guy.

Comment

Originally posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
                    The 40 time is overrated and a tenth of a second is extremely small, but a 4.4 guy will always out run a 4.5 guy.
                    Except for when they're running backwards. That's a whole new ballgame. Not all 4.4 guys are as good running backwards as 4.5 guys.

On a more serious note, I would bet that SY (I'm gonna call him that for the remainder of the post) has better time to the ten yard post than some of the 4.4 guys. He has great acceleration. He may never take one 70 yards, but I'll take the 30 yard runs in a heart beat.

Acceleration is more important many times than top speed. If I'm not mistaken, when we drafted Williams/Foxworth/Paymah, they were 1/2/3 in their speed in the first ten yards of the 40.
                    Thanks, Reid!
                    sigpic
                    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Just like TD .........
                      Could you imagine?!! From Elway and Davis to Cutler and Young

Comment

Originally posted by kdayZn View Post
                        Just like TD .........
                        Could you imagine?!! From Elway and Davis to Cutler and Young
                        Whoah whoah whoah...slow down a little bit the kid's started one game and has one career touchdown. Lets give it a little bit more time before we make that comparison

Thanks Snk

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                          Except for when they're running backwards. That's a whole new ballgame. Not all 4.4 guys are as good running backwards as 4.5 guys.

On a more serious note, I would bet that SY (I'm gonna call him that for the remainder of the post) has better time to the ten yard post than some of the 4.4 guys. He has great acceleration. He may never take one 70 yards, but I'll take the 30 yard runs in a heart beat.

Acceleration is more important many times than top speed. If I'm not mistaken, when we drafted Williams/Foxworth/Paymah, they were 1/2/3 in their speed in the first ten yards of the 40.
                          Adrian Peterson ran 4.40 and had a 1.53 10 yard time
                          Antonio Pittman ran 4.40 and had a 1.52 10 yard time
                          Chris Henry ran 4.40 and had a 1.56 10 yard time
                          Marshawn Lynch ran 4.46 and had a 1.53 10 yard time

Our own Selvin Young ran a 4.58 and had a 1.56 10 yard time.

So he is a little slower on the last 30 yards, but very similar on the first 10 to the top of the crop.

At the combine last year about half the runningbacks had faster 40 yard times than Selvin Young.

If we go back

Carnell Williams ran a 4.43 but had a 1.58 10 yard time

Selvin is neither better nor worse than what can best be described as the cream of the crop.

Obviously his agility, vision and speed is no problem. The questions that need to be answered is his longevity, his ball protection and stamina. He will have all the chances in the world to show those things as Travis Henry is still battling injury and suspension.

I hope he can be the long lost piece to the puzzle, there is no doubt we have a healthy supply of young talent at the skill positions on offense and having that young RB would really solidify the team.

I do like what I have seen from Selvin so far, but I also liked what I saw from Mike Bell last year most of the time. It all comes down to stablity, if he can keep up his average per carry we are sitting pretty.

Comment

That is why I have sounded like a broken record lately, and wish Shanny would draft his partner in crime from Texas, Jammal Charles, who is a Big 12 sprint champion, and an even better back then Young, he has been avr. close to 200 yards per game for the last 4 games, and is almost certain to come out in the draft after this yr. as a Jr.

Those two together, would be SCARY good, defensive cord. woulnt know which one to key on, and they both can catch and block well. It would be a whole new dimension for the running game in the NFL, thats for sure. Just something to think about is all.

Comment

Faster than anyone on the Chefs defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X