Champ makes other corners Suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ makes other corners Suck

With Champ playing a different coverage style than most corners more corners have tried using his style. Those corners that have tried have sucked very badly this season. Here are a few Walt Harris, Jason David, and even Dre Bly.

I'm not saying Dre sucks but I think he would play better using whatever style he did in St. Louis. No one is Champ so other corners need to quit trying to be.

i think that champ makes the corner opposite him look bad since champ is so good alot of balls go towards the other side of the field. You could say that gives the other corner more chances to make plays but it also makes it more likely for them to get burned. But i would argue that corners dont get enough credit for defending passes while they do get all the blame if they give up the big play.
    sigpic

Comment

And what style would that be? Please elaborate.
      Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

Michael Jordan made the rest of his team look overrated because he won so much.

Your point? I would hardly say that Dre Bly is playing like Champ Bailey. And as a matter of fact, Dre has had some very dominant plays against high profile receivers. He has just been overshadowed by others on defense.

No one ever notices when a corner does great, because the ball never gets there, people only notice when they do bad because the receivers catch the ball. Sadly, there is no statistic for corners who eliminate a receiver from getting a second thought from the qb when the qb is making his reads.

Dre has been dominant with what he has been given. Should we get more coverage out of our Safeties and LB's it would give Bly and Bailey a chance to really shine. Ohh, and can getting pressure from the interior of the defensive line be added to the wish list?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DancingHorsey View Post
          And what style would that be? Please elaborate.
          I'm guessing your being sarcastic but just in case your not. I'm not sure what it's called but he looks in the backfield and plays the quarterback and not the receiver.

I'm not saying Champ is making Dre look bad but I don't think Dre should try and play the same way Champ plays because I don't think Dre's instincts are quite up to par with Champ.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
            I'm guessing your being sarcastic but just in case your not. I'm not sure what it's called but he looks in the backfield and plays the quarterback and not the receiver.

I'm not saying Champ is making Dre look bad but I don't think Dre should try and play the same way Champ plays because I don't think Dre's instincts are quite up to par with Champ.
            I may be wrong or i may be just plain stupid....

BUT....

Isn't that the most fundamental and most important thing a corner is taught from high school on up? The reason touchdowns are scored more often than not is if the corner runs around following the receiver and never follows the qb's read to throw progression. Once the ball leaves the hand of the QB, the corner is supposed to know where it's headed and be on their way there.

So, if thats your definition of Champs' style, then EVERY corner who wants to be decent should imitate him.

What makes Champ so much different is that rather than waiting for the ball to leave the QB's hands, he jumps the gun and anticipates where the QB has decided it should go. Risky to be sure. But that was ALWAYS the way he played, and he has become very good at analyzing this and knowing the specific QB's tendencies so that he is right more often than not. By the way, Dre Bly has always been a gambler in his coverage, not as great as Champ? Sure, but then again, no one in the NFL is as good as Champ either.
            sigpic

Comment

No most corners are taught to play the receiver and if the receiver starts looking for the ball then you look for the ball. Champ never turns his back to the QB unless the receiver runs right by him. The corner looks at the QB as long as he can but if the receiver gets to the inside, outside, or runs by him they then follow the receiver. I was assuming you would know that I meant he watches the QB the whole play but I guess I should never assume anything.

Comment

Yeah I was being sarcastic. I just don't know how you know what style most corners are playing play to play considering they only show what a CB is doing when the ball is thrown in his direction. Do you have game tape that you can study of all the corners you mentioned that proves they are in fact playing the same style as Champ? Otherwise, all this conjecture seems somewhat baseless.

Team Tebow #108

Comment

No most corners are taught to play the receiver and if the receiver starts looking for the ball then you look for the ball. Champ never turns his back to the QB unless the receiver runs right by him. The corner looks at the QB as long as he can but if the receiver gets to the inside, outside, or runs by him they then follow the receiver. I was assuming you would know that I meant he watches the QB the whole play but I guess I should never assume anything.
                  So..... How exactly is Champs' style different than any other corners?

Like I said... If "Champ's style" is to read the QB. Then EVERY corner is trying to copy him! And if that's your argument, then i think more than the three names you put up there belong on that "Can't play Champ's style list".

Please explain yourself. You have yet to say what Champ's style is, as well as say why other corners are failing. Could it be that only champ can play the way champ can? And just how are these other guys trying to be like him? Isn't it conventional wisdom to pattern your play off of another player who is better? You should go into more detail and explain exactly what your trying to say. Evidently we can't read your mind, or know what your trying to say unless you say it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hardcorebronco View Post
                    So..... How exactly is Champs' style different than any other corners?

Like I said... If "Champ's style" is to read the QB. Then EVERY corner is trying to copy him! And if that's your argument, then i think more than the three names you put up there belong on that "Can't play Champ's style list".

Please explain yourself. You have yet to say what Champ's style is, as well as say why other corners are failing. Could it be that only champ can play the way champ can? And just how are these other guys trying to be like him? Isn't it conventional wisdom to pattern your play off of another player who is better? You should go into more detail and explain exactly what your trying to say. Evidently we can't read your mind, or know what your trying to say unless you say it.
                    Champ can look at the QB, and feel which route the WR is running at the same time, which allows him to break on short flats to his side, and also allows him to get better reads on the ball since he see's them coming out the QB's hand.

Most CB, look at the WR because otherwise they have no clue where the WR is. Most CB's dont look at the QB, they play the WR until they feel they have good position on the WR then they will tunr around and try to find the ball. You ever seen fade routes thrown to success becasue the CB isnt looking? Same thing, Champ never gets beat on a fade route no way, he lookin at the QB the whole time. Thats why he plays so far off, so he can watch everything, notice how he also is so good in run support, he sees everything and allows him to make more plays. Also notice how he breaks off his responsibility to defend another guys man. If he wasnt looking he'd never see that in time to stop it, but he's looking the whole time. Thats Champs style. MOst CB's cant play that style they lose focus on their #1 priority, the WR.
                    dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Champ doesn't stop looking at the quarterback unless he is sure the receiver is running a streak route and he doesn't have safety help. Jason David repeatedly gets burned because he doesn't if it's the receiver behind him or another defensive player. Champ somehow knows which is the receiver.

Dre was better in St. Louis rather than Detroit even if the system didn't fit him. He switched styles after Champ's 8 pick year.

Comment

I can't believe you guys don't know what he's talking about...

Fundamental coaching teaches a corner to back pedal with the receiver and then twist his hips and run stride for stride with him looking back when the receiver looks back.

If you see Champ he almost NEVER back pedals. He does this side step almost. With the side step it allows him to have his eye on the QB while having the WR in his peripheral vision. The reason why other corners can't do it is because if you try, its very hard to do that side stepping quickly enough to keep up with someone running straight.

Check out this video: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d803bdc88
                        At the 41 second mark watch the bottom of the screen and see how Champ starts side stepping after the ball is snapped. At the top Dre is using the same technique. Compare it with other corners and you'll see the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Theonlymember View Post
                          I can't believe you guys don't know what he's talking about...

Fundamental coaching teaches a corner to back pedal with the receiver and then twist his hips and run stride for stride with him looking back when the receiver looks back.

If you see Champ he almost NEVER back pedals. He does this side step almost. With the side step it allows him to have his eye on the QB while having the WR in his peripheral vision. The reason why other corners can't do it is because if you try, its very hard to do that side stepping quickly enough to keep up with someone running straight.

Check out this video: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d803bdc88
                          At the 41 second mark watch the bottom of the screen and see how Champ starts side stepping after the ball is snapped. At the top Dre is using the same technique. Compare it with other corners and you'll see the difference.
                          I know what he's talking about. I'm simply questioning how he knows that others are emulating him, or for that matter whether or not the CBs he's listed haven't used the same technique before.

Team Tebow #108

Comment

Jason David played more cover 2 defense in Indianapolis than man to man. Now he's struggling period with more man to man that new orleans plays. That doesn't necessarily mean he's struggling because he's trying to imitate champ's style of coverage, he just can't play man to man period.

Thanks Snk

Comment

Champ Bailey plays the football and nothing else.

Comment

Working...
                              X