The Long Ball?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Long Ball?

I did a quick search and found nothing, but if I am reposting, I am open to any and all lashings (from the females I will enjoy...)

So I was watching the John Lynch show and as they were showing a replay of Cutlers pass to Marshell when they were down by thier own goalline it got me thinking.......and boy did that hurt, hahahahahahahah

Seriously though, I have noticed on many a play where Marshell has beaten his man and the only thing holding him and the Broncos from 6 points is a Cutler pass.

He seems to put way to much air under the ball, when on some throws he needs to get it there faster.

As was the case on the play they were showing. They didn't mention it but I noticed it during the slow mo. That made me think of all the other times this had happened.

That's one of the reasons Marshell has to do his little juke move after the catch....the defender has had time to recover and he has to make him miss.

Just some food for thought......

PEACE!!!

cutler doesnt have the arm to throw the ball past 40 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by BRONCOS_OWN_U16 View Post
      you feeling ok? you might wanna get that checked out.
      Pro McD

Comment

Are you serious? Of course he has the arm to throw it 40 yards. Take a look at this bomb: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8015c30a

Making team signature bars, just drop me a PM. :salute:

Comment

Originally posted by Stand Ablaze View Post
          Are you serious? Of course he has the arm to throw it 40 yards. Take a look at this bomb: http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8015c30a
          That is a godly pass...

Man he was at what.. his own 36 into the end zone?

That is crazy.

Comment

There's a very good reason why the Broncos haven't been looking to throw very many long passes this season, the O-line has been terrible and you need time to wait for the receiver to get deep downfield.

If Cutler tries a pass-play that needs 3 seconds for the WR to get 30 yards downfield, and the pocket collapses in 2 seconds and he has to get rid of the ball, it's not going to work.

And that pretty much sums up the Broncos season.

Hopefully, next year the Broncos O-line will be more solid and they will be able to risk more long throws.

In addition, Shanahan has to be very conservative on offense because his defense hasn't been able to get off the field (until they played the Chiefs who have the worst offense in football in 2007). So, if he uses a low percentage play and the offense goes three and out, that puts even more pressure on the defense.

He's trying to keep the offense on the field for long drives to give his defense time to rest. And they've needed it in most games.

To do that he needs high percentage plays to get a first down, not long pass-plays that have a low completion percentage, but a big payoff. Shanahan is trying to have a methodical offense that marches down the field and takes time off the clock to keep the opposing offense off the field.

Considering the play of his defensive line, it's about the only thing he CAN do.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel View Post

You didn't answer my question......

When we DO throw it long, it would seem that a lot of the time the receivers have to wait, sometimes stop, for Cutlers throw to get to them.....he throws it too high it would seem.....

Remember Elways long bombs to Rod back in the day? Rod would run under them.

I used to say "Rod long down the middle!!!" >>Flash to Superbowl XXXIII and Rod's long TD catch and run!!!!

It may be something the Bronc's need to think about.

PEACE!!!

Comment

just something Cutler needs to work on and will come with time. also it helps to not have defenders in his face

Comment

Originally posted by AlWilsonizKING View Post
                  You didn't answer my question......

When we DO throw it long, it would seem that a lot of the time the receivers have to wait, sometimes stop, for Cutlers throw to get to them.....he throws it too high it would seem.....

Remember Elways long bombs to Rod back in the day? Rod would run under them.

I used to say "Rod long down the middle!!!" >>Flash to Superbowl XXXIII and Rod's long TD catch and run!!!!

It may be something the Bronc's need to think about.

PEACE!!!
                  There could be several factors.

He could have a mental clock ticking on the pass plays, due to the shaky protection, and the longer he waits to throw it the more he's likely to rush it. Deep routes take longer so he's going to get antsy waiting. Hopefully experience and a little more faith in his pass protection will get him back on track.

Also, a typical problem with the gunslinger type QB is that they tend to throw the deep passes too flat... because they can. Unfortunately, that requires a higher level of precision and makes what are already low percentage plays even lower percentage. If he can learn to take a little (not all) of the zing off his deep pass it will give his receivers more opportunity to adjust to the ball in the air; put a little more air under the ball. The cannon for an arm is great but sometimes can be a hindrance.

And it could be he just needs more experience and better timing with his receivers. The fact that we don't have more opportunites in games for these plays means Jay isn't getting game experience doing it. It's not the same as doing it practice when you know nobody is going to pop you and there's no real consequence for giving up a pick.

Any or all of those things could be affecting the deep pass plays. The fact is that the Broncos might not find the deep ball until their offensive line improves. That might mean new players or it might mean just giving this unit time to improve (they're a new line with mostly young, inexperienced guys). But however it happens we need improved pass protection.
                  "You can't take the sky from me..."
                  ------
                  "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Im still trying to wonder where the heck this guy has been saying Cutler doesnt have the arm to throw the ball 40 yards. Havent you seen any games ? I mean if he throws a bullet 15 yards dont you think with air under it he can get it to 40 yards? Lol what a Bronco fan you are his arm has only been compared to Favre's lol

Comment

Originally posted by Dezperado24 View Post
                      Im still trying to wonder where the heck this guy has been saying Cutler doesnt have the arm to throw the ball 40 yards. Havent you seen any games ? I mean if he throws a bullet 15 yards dont you think with air under it he can get it to 40 yards? Lol what a Bronco fan you are his arm has only been compared to Favre's lol
                      you guys are retards. you do realize he's just messin around right? goodness

Comment

The inability of some people to detect sarcasm will never cease to amaze me.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Just a question but was he getting pressure because he was all game, also remember he has a bad ankle so he might be hesitant to step into each pass.

Comment

In the case of the Marshall pass, it appeared intentional to me. The coverage was pretty good actually, but by underthrowing the pass it let his receiver come back to the ball which threw off the DB. On other occasions I would say it's often been that he's throwing off his back foot or can't completely step into the throw because of pressure. On top of that, the fact that he gets chances to air it out so rarely probably makes it a little more difficult to do. If he got more chances to get the feel of it, he'd probably have more success.
                            Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

Chad Pennington has a stronger arm

Comment

Working...
                              X