• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gator Broncos
    replied
    Originally posted by AlWilsonizKING View Post
    You didn't answer my question......

When we DO throw it long, it would seem that a lot of the time the receivers have to wait, sometimes stop, for Cutlers throw to get to them.....he throws it too high it would seem.....

Remember Elways long bombs to Rod back in the day? Rod would run under them.

I used to say "Rod long down the middle!!!" >>Flash to Superbowl XXXIII and Rod's long TD catch and run!!!!

It may be something the Bronc's need to think about.

PEACE!!!
    I agree with most of the posters that he hasn't had a lot of time and has been run out of the pocket a lot. Not to mention that we only have one deep threat right now in Marshall who is usually double covered to prevent the long ball. When Walker return, you'll see more of the long ball. Also Cutler has been playing hurt most of the season, it was his ankle early on and now his leg, which has been preventing him from stepping into his passes like he normally does. I saw him in college, he's got a cannon and can throw 60 yards + no problem with great accuracy. He need to be healthy and have protection to do it consistantly though.

Leave a comment:

• kcarr26
    replied
    I would consider the circumstances.

Someone already pointed it out that he's not getting enough time to step into his throws for the deep ball.

With that deep ball against Arizona last year... just look at all the time Cutler had to square up that pass and launch it.

The way marshall is playing--- when we get Javon back... I expect this to be a scary offense.

Especially with the ever so dangerous slot man Stokley.

Leave a comment:

• gobroncsnv
    replied
    Originally posted by ScrubNation View Post
    One reason, maybe the biggest, for the lack of a deep ball is Javon Walker. He's the deep threat, and he hasn't been in there.
    Yeah, Cutler can't throw far, and Marshall can't run fast...

Leave a comment:

• showtime24
    replied
    Originally posted by BRONCOS_OWN_U16 View Post
    cutler doesnt have the arm to throw the ball past 40 yards.
    LOL I really hope you are kidding!

Leave a comment:

• LordTrychon
    replied
    Originally posted by Bronco_Hyde View Post
    That's definitely a weakness of message boards. You can't detect inflection or tone.
    I'm thinking that all sarcasm should be italicized to make detection foolproof.
    I think that's a wonderful plan.

Leave a comment:

• Javalon
    replied
    Originally posted by Zealander View Post
    Jay Cutler is such a little girl, he throws like my sister.

Good lord.
    Better be careful, many people can't sense sarcasm in a text post and will start flaming you for that one.

Leave a comment:

• ScrubNation
    replied
    One reason, maybe the biggest, for the lack of a deep ball is Javon Walker. He's the deep threat, and he hasn't been in there.

Leave a comment:

• Zealander
    replied
    Jay Cutler is such a little girl, he throws like my sister.

Good lord.

Leave a comment:

• Hoserman117
    replied
    Originally posted by AlWilsonizKING View Post
    I did a quick search and found nothing, but if I am reposting, I am open to any and all lashings (from the females I will enjoy...)

So I was watching the John Lynch show and as they were showing a replay of Cutlers pass to Marshell when they were down by thier own goalline it got me thinking.......and boy did that hurt, hahahahahahahah

Seriously though, I have noticed on many a play where Marshell has beaten his man and the only thing holding him and the Broncos from 6 points is a Cutler pass.

He seems to put way to much air under the ball, when on some throws he needs to get it there faster.

As was the case on the play they were showing. They didn't mention it but I noticed it during the slow mo. That made me think of all the other times this had happened.

That's one of the reasons Marshell has to do his little juke move after the catch....the defender has had time to recover and he has to make him miss.

Just some food for thought......

PEACE!!!
    Didn't you see the safety in front of him? Had he thrown it longer that safety was in position to lay out marshall or make a play on the ball.

And whoever said Cutler can't throw the ball more than 40 yards... wow.

Leave a comment:

• AlWilsonizKING
    replied
    I was never implying that I thought he couldn't throw it far.......

I'm just saying maybe instead of putting so much under the ball, throw it a little lower and those catches go for TD's and not just a long gain.

It's like a punter kicking it 50 yards in the air but only 30 yards downfield.

And I'm not panicing on his abilities of whatever, I just think it's something to think about and for him to work on........

PEACE!!!

Leave a comment:

• DancingHorsey
    replied
    Originally posted by vandyman53 View Post
    Being a former quarterback I can tell you if a man is open the quarterback does let up just a tad for he sure doesn't want to overthrow. You guys discussing Cutler's "inability" to throw the bomb is laughable anyway.
    I don't think most of us are saying he has an inability to throw the bomb. We're simply discussing the fact that he's underthrown a fair number of deep passes. It isn't about ability or inability, so much as on-field performance. Personally, I'm not worried too much about it, but others may feel differently.

Leave a comment:

• 91bronco
    replied
    The problems with the O-line are a major contributing factor but I have to put a little bit of this on Jay too. When he is getting rushed or flushed out of the pocket it leads to less accurate throws because Jay needs to do a better job of setting his feet. I know this isn't possible on all plays but if you watch his footwork he tends to throw off his back foot even when he has time. He had Marshall on the sideline COMPLETELY open but threw off his back foot and floated the ball over a leaping Marshall. A little more protection on the line and some more experience from the QB and these problems should work themselves out. It would be nice to have Walker back as well.

Leave a comment:

• vandyman53
    replied
    Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I've noticed this as well.. and am pretty surprised about this. However, another thing I have noticed is Jay DOES try to put touch on some passes, and it seems as if those are the ones that are nearly picked off.

So I'm guessing (and purely just guessing)... that Jay doesn't want to OVER THROW the deep ball when he has someone so wide open. Thus, as many QBs do when they have a guy REALLY open, he tries to "point the ball" instead of just throwing it like he normally would.... thus putting too much touch on the ball.

thats the only thing that makes sense considering Jay's arm strength.
    Being a former quarterback I can tell you if a man is open the quarterback does let up just a tad for he sure doesn't want to overthrow. You guys discussing Cutler's "inability" to throw the bomb is laughable anyway.

Leave a comment:

• vandyman53
    replied
    Originally posted by Cugel View Post
    There's a very good reason why the Broncos haven't been looking to throw very many long passes this season, the O-line has been terrible and you need time to wait for the receiver to get deep downfield.

If Cutler tries a pass-play that needs 3 seconds for the WR to get 30 yards downfield, and the pocket collapses in 2 seconds and he has to get rid of the ball, it's not going to work.

And that pretty much sums up the Broncos season.

Hopefully, next year the Broncos O-line will be more solid and they will be able to risk more long throws.

In addition, Shanahan has to be very conservative on offense because his defense hasn't been able to get off the field (until they played the Chiefs who have the worst offense in football in 2007). So, if he uses a low percentage play and the offense goes three and out, that puts even more pressure on the defense.

He's trying to keep the offense on the field for long drives to give his defense time to rest. And they've needed it in most games.

To do that he needs high percentage plays to get a first down, not long pass-plays that have a low completion percentage, but a big payoff. Shanahan is trying to have a methodical offense that marches down the field and takes time off the clock to keep the opposing offense off the field.

Considering the play of his defensive line, it's about the only thing he CAN do.
    Exactly correct. The Broncos just have not thrown "the bomb" very much this year. Whomever is implying that Cutler can't throw it or whatever tells me a little more football watching would be needed.

Anyway, if one actually ran a percentage on how many "bombs" were completed anyway I would say the range is probably 25%?

Leave a comment:

• Bronco_Hyde
    replied
    Originally posted by PatrickdaDookie View Post
    The inability of some people to detect sarcasm will never cease to amaze me.

That's definitely a weakness of message boards. You can't detect inflection or tone.
    I'm thinking that all sarcasm should be italicized to make detection foolproof.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X