Around the Horn...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Around the Horn...

I dont know if any of you caught Around the Horn yesterday afternoon but there was a topic about Shanahan using the lie detector technique for his players. All of the guys on the panel (Woody wasnt on the show yesterday)dogged Mike saying it was an unnecessary measure and that he should leave those things up to the league. Mariotti took a cheap shot at the end saying something like "Give it a rest and go fix your team" It's funny that they chose that topic without Woody being on the panel. I'm sure he would have defended Shanahan. Just wanted to share that with ya fellas.
    http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/w...equenceyh5.jpg

sigpic

Did any of the panelists mention the fact that had Travis not taken and passed a lie detector test (which he volunteered for), he would have been cut and may have gone the way of the infamous Clarett?

What ever happened to that other kid that passed a lie detector? He isnt with the team anymore?
    Kyle: Dude! I almost thought those Afghani kids talked you into not liking America.
    Stan: No, dude. America may have some problems, but it's our home. Our team. And if you don't wanna root for your team, then you should get the hell out of the stadium.
    Kyle: Yeah.
    Stan:<salutes the American flag> Go America.
    Kyle:<salutes> Go America...

Kyle: Go Broncos.
    Stan: Yeah, go Broncos.
    Cartman: Yeah.

Comment

David Kircus was the other player who passed the lie test. He was cut during the pre-season.

Every coach handles this situation in different manors. Right after Around the Horn, on PTI, Mike Wilbon and Dan Lebatard both agreed that it is a good thing because the NFL's drug testing method is "wacky".

Shanahan holds his players to a high level then other coaches in the NFL. So what if he uses a lie detector and hair sample, he has done it for years, yet no one has a problem with it until now.

Mariotti is an idiot and Woody is the only sign of hope for that show!
      sigpic
      :salute!:

Comment

I saw that too. I also emailed Woody and told him to put some love for our defense against KC on his chalk board.

----------------------------------------------
        I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

What they don't realize, or ignore, is that both players volunteered. This was not something that Shanahan asked them to do. He just went along with it because they wanted to prove they were telling the truth.

Comment

Count me in as one that finds the whole lie detector testing of players kind of creepy.

I think Shanahan would be better off leaving these things to league officials, and react to what the league does rather than trust a flawed machine. I understand they're difficult to fake, but they can be manipulated, which is why they're not admissible in court.
            Last edited by mojo0730; 11-14-2007, 09:55 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
              Count me in as one that finds the whole lie detector testing of players kind of creepy.

I think Shanahan would be better off leaving these things to league officials, and react to what the league does rather than trust a flawed machine. I understand they're difficult to fake, but they can be manipulated, which is why they're not admissable in court.
              Yea, they are about as effective as breathalizer tests.

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Comment

I don't get the negative backlash on this, the same as I didn't get it last time either. Under the new personal conduct policy the TEAM can now also be held accountable. Henry passed the hair test and the lie detector. I feel better about Shanny backing him with this out in the open versus just someones words.

Comment

Originally posted by 91bronco View Post
                  I don't get the negative backlash on this, the same as I didn't get it last time either. Under the new personal conduct policy the TEAM can now also be held accountable. Henry passed the hair test and the lie detector. I feel better about Shanny backing him with this out in the open versus just someones words.
                  Because like I said, a lie detector test can be manipulated.

Also, it's just...wrong. It's like your job making you do a lie detector test to prove you didn't steal something or leave early or whatever.

You have a positive UA. To me, with his history, that should be enough to simply allow the league to do it's thing and react accordingly - not by hooking a guy up to a flawed machine and backing those results.
                  sigpic

Comment

^^^ yes it can be manipulated but not to the extent everyone thinks. The average person of the street can't beat one but both Kircus and Henry can? A lie detector test is a tool- it's not the end all be all, but a useful tool that can help in situations like this. Also, Shannahan did not and cannot require anyone to take a lie detector test- it has to be a mutual thing.

Comment

Also, it's just...wrong. It's like your job making you do a lie detector test to prove you didn't steal something or leave early or whatever.
                      Which in almost any circumstance would be illegal.

However, I've had many employees who were suspected of possible theft VOLUNTEER to take one to prove their innocence. I've never personally done it, because I don't really trust them.

*shrug*
                      Thanks, Reid!
                      sigpic
                      Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by 91bronco View Post
                        ^^^ yes it can be manipulated but not to the extent everyone thinks. The average person of the street can't beat one but both Kircus and Henry can? A lie detector test is a tool- it's not the end all be all, but a useful tool that can help in situations like this. Also, Shannahan did not and cannot require anyone to take a lie detector test- it has to be a mutual thing.
                        Like I said...I trust something that is scientifically tested and proven time and time again (UA testing) over something that our own legal system deems untrustworthy (lie detector).

Also, I'm bothered by the fact that Shanahan would publicly announce this a week before his scheduled hearing. It reeks (even if untrue) of Shanahan trying to manipulate the hearing results by releasing this and in a way where the arbitrator is likely to hear it.
                        sigpic

Comment

Like I said...I trust something that is scientifically tested and proven time and time again (UA testing) over something that our own legal system deems untrustworthy (lie detector).

Also, I'm bothered by the fact that Shanahan would publicly announce this a week before his scheduled hearing. It reeks (even if untrue) of Shanahan trying to manipulate the hearing results by releasing this and in a way where the arbitrator is likely to hear it.
                          I agree about the lie detector... but what about the hair sample test he also supposedly passed?
                          Thanks, Reid!
                          sigpic
                          Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                            Which in almost any circumstance would be illegal.

However, I've had many employees who were suspected of possible theft VOLUNTEER to take one to prove their innocence. I've never personally done it, because I don't really trust them.

*shrug*
                            I would never do it, innocent or not. And I would never trust it 100%.

The guy is a two-time offender. What are you more likely to believe - a UA test that came back positive a third time, or a machine that is flawed in such a way that our own legal system - with all the things they allow into evidence - declares they're not trustworthy enough?

Like I said, I just feel Shanahan would have been better off letting the league handle this like they're supposed to. His intervention just comes off as totally wrong, in my opinion.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                              I agree about the lie detector... but what about the hair sample test he also supposedly passed?
                              I'd have to hear more about the hair sample. According to Shanahan, that's what Henry told him - not something the Broncos as an organization did.

I know this much - you CANNOT get a positive THC test on a UA from 2nd hand smoke. You just can't. What I think is the likely scenario is that he took a hit off a bong or a joint at a party or whatever, got tested the very next day (or possibly even the same day), and it showed up on a UA. It's unlikely a hair follicle test would show up positive that long after the UA if he only took one hit.

That's just speculation on my part, except the part of the 2nd hand smoke. I know that that is impossible, and I'm somewhat of an expert with this stuff.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X