Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DENVER BRONCOS one of the best 4-5 teams ever... Here's why!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• selyoink
    replied
    Broncos have lost 41-3 and 44-7. Also beaten badly by the Colts. Therefore they cannot possibly qualify has the greatest 4-5 team ever.

Leave a comment:

• Cugel
    replied
    Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
    ON ESPN Radio last night they were reviewing mid-season grades that had recently been given out to all the NFL teams. The analyst was asked about teams he thought were tough to grade. He said the Redskins and Saints were two teams. This got me thinking...

If you look at the NFL landscape... at all the teams... And take a fair, objective look at everything (YES, even though I'm a die hard Broncos fan, I still think I'm capable of doing this)... TO ME... The Denver Broncos epitomize that definition of being the one, singular team that is almost impossible to grade at this point.

That is why I have to give the Denver Broncos an INCOMPLETE in my evaluation!
    I might even say they deserve a solid "B" when you consider this:

(1) You cannot ignore what happened in the off season with the two tragedies, the deaths of Williams and Nash. As if what happened to Nash wasn't terrible enough, but the circumstances of D-Willy's death confounds and it's toll on some players (Walker, Marshall) cannot be ignored.

Right away... the 2007 campaign got off to a rocky start...

(2) Denver lost the heart-n-soul in both huddles, on both sides of the ball in Rod Smith and Al Wilson. This leaves a hole in the locker room that is already suffering from the foggy hangover of those off season tragedies!

(3) Denver implements a brand new system on defense and hands the ball to a young whipper-snapper with a grand total of four starts under his belt... handing the offense to this second year kid. Changes galore all over the place.

(4) Denver loses two All-Pros for the year... Its left tackle and center. That would hurt any team in the NFL... THEN... it's left tackle is injured. Before you know it... they have a brand new offensive line. And the injuries do not stop there: They lose their number one play maker in Javon Walker, then their RB goes down... a big free agent signing in Henry, one of Cutler's favorite targets breaks his foot (Scheffler) which sets him back... On defense they lose their free safety... The NFL's top defensive player gets banged up in Champ Bailey... They lose their starting DT in Ekuban. Suffice to say... Denver lost about 30% of their players on both sides of the ball, all players in key position... So bad that today they have about like 1 starter in 22 that was starting this time last year...

SO... injuries and new systems means CHANGES-CHANGES-CHANGES... Getting to know you.

(5) Now let's look at their actual performance... the record. The wins: At Buffalo, which at that time looked weak but after further review... Being that the Bills are now wild card players and two FGs away from being 7-2, well that win looks good now. They also beat Pittsburgh, who some say are now the second best team in football... Another quality win. They took care of business at home against a division foe (Raiders) and then won in KC, which is never an easy task. Three of those wins are solid!

The losses: WELL, who did they lose to? ALL PLAYOFF -BOUND caliber teams? Name one let down loss or one loss to a bad team? They lost to JAGS, who are pretty good. They lost to Indy, who are the champs... They lost to GB, they are 8-1! They lost to Detroit, on the road, and the Lions are only one of two teams undefeated at home (Pats are the other), and then they lost to SD. The SD loss was bad but at least that team has talent!

In Conclusion... Had Graham not dropped that ball on that final drive against JAX... maybe Broncos win. IF DENVER would have scored a TD on the last drive against GB, instead of settling for the FG... DENVER would be 5-4 instead of 4-5 and would really look good right now...

THE POINT IS: Despite the poor play and how bad this team has looked this season, given everything... you have to admit this team has held it's own. I'm proud of them!

They are 4-5... sure... but they've played a tough schedule and were dealt a bad hand. This is why I say the grade is incomplete... Their final seven games are: TENN, @ CHI, @ OAK, KC, @ HOU, @ SD, Minny.

If DEN can go 4-1 in the next 5... They'll be 8-6 heading into that Xmas eve showdown, probably battling for the AFC West crown... NO matter what happens in that game... IF they win against Minny... Broncos will be either 9-7 or 10-6. 10-6 and division crown would be remarkable given everything that has happened... Even 9-7 would show me something... that this team has guts. Let's see what this team does from here on in...
    Most of these excuses are valid (except that Ekuban is a LDE not a DT -- that would have been a major blow).

I could add a bunch more.

1. None of the DTs they brought in could handle the Bates system: Kennedy sucked and was cut, Warren refused to learn and forced a trade, Gordon was named starter and sucked so bad he was cut, Burton sucked so bad he was cut also in mid-season, Adams can only play about 10 snaps a game and hasn't done great even when he's in. Marcus Thomas is a rookie.

Overall DT has been a disaster and none of the players they were counting on to carry them through the season has come through.

2. The loss of Al Wilson and moving D.J. Williams to the middle meant two new starters at LBs. Combined with the terrible play on the DL Denver's front seven have sucked bad for most of the season. Now D.J. has straightened out his play and leads the Broncos in tackles with 75 (according to the official NFL site -- he's credited with 97 according to the Broncos site, which would lead the league, but I imagine that the other players would increase their totals if they used the team kept statistics).

In any case, he's 7th in tackles in the league right now which is not bad - only 9 off the league lead. If he keeps that pace up he'd have close to 150 for the year which would be about a pro-bowl level. (100-120 is average, 120-150 is good, 150+ is pro-bowl quality for LBs).

But all this is academic! It doesn't matter how many injuries you suffer or what your excuses are. The truth remains that this is a rebuilding year for the Broncos. End of story.

There's no such thing as a "great" 4-5 team.

It's like a Monty Python joke: "He's a bitter, yet zany, disillusioned, Marxist-Tycoon!"

Leave a comment:

• fraguela09
    replied
    The title is definitely misleading... That's why I'm not paid the big bucks to write headlines... BUT... the point is still valid.

Basically, if there's one team in the NFL that's tough to grade right now... name one tougher than the Broncos. Denver gets a bad rap in the media... Look at how they are playing up the Indy injuries...

DEN had two deaths that set the tone, then they had HUGE injuries that decimated the team... They are 4-5 but have 3 solid wins... Out of the 5 losses, yes there are blowouts... BUT... it's not like they lost to the niners or jets... they've lost to playoff caliber squads.

HENCE... their grade is incomplete... Let's see what they do in their final seven.

STILL... Losing Hamilton, Nalen, Smith, Wilson, Walker, Henry, Ekuban, Lynch... right there is a pretty impressive list.

Imagine if they had Walker in that GB game... You think they might score a TD instead of a FG?

I'm not celebrating their 4-5 record... I'm just saying it's not as bad as it looks at first glance. I actually think DEN has been more impressive than SD given all the turmoil they've had to endure.

AGAIN... Point is that if there's any team in the NFL tough to grade at this point... it's the DENVER BRONCOS.

Leave a comment:

• Medford Bronco
    replied
    Originally posted by Champs Chumps View Post
    No offense, but your title sounds like something a charger fan would say.

Like Parcells says... you are what you are.
    The greatest 4-5 team ever still isn't as good as the worst 5-4 team ever.

You are fooling yourself if you think this is a great 4-5 team. Only 1 loss was close, yet 3 wins were.

Here's hoping they go 10-6, but this team doesn't deserve a B for the season so far.
    how can we be better than a team that beat us 41-3 at home
    this is not directed at you Champs Chumps just an open question?

sorry I love the Broncos but this is way off base.

I hope we go 9-7 and will root hard but we are 4-5
    and have been so inconsistent it is not even funny

maybe you are a prophet and will be correct but for now
    we are middle of the pack at best.

Leave a comment:

• Javalon
    replied
    Frag, I appreciate the effort that you put into your post but I have to say that "best 4-5 teams" probably don't get blown out 3 times, regardless of who they played and were likely competitive in all their losses.

Besides, it doesn't matter how you got to 4-5. What matters is whether or not you get your ass in gear and manage to win a lot more games the rest of the season. Excuses don't matter, the team is only as good as their record.

When the Chargers fans and the media a couple years back went on about how they were the best team ever to not make the playoffs, I thought that was pretty pathetic. All that matters is that they didn't make the playoffs.

And likewise, all that matters now is that the Broncos are a paltry 4-5. The only difference is that we still have time to recover and do something with the rest of our season. I obviously hope we will.

Leave a comment:

• Champs Chumps
    replied
    No offense, but your title sounds like something a charger fan would say.

Like Parcells says... you are what you are.
    The greatest 4-5 team ever still isn't as good as the worst 5-4 team ever.

You are fooling yourself if you think this is a great 4-5 team. Only 1 loss was close, yet 3 wins were.

Here's hoping they go 10-6, but this team doesn't deserve a B for the season so far.

Leave a comment:

• PowderAddict
    replied
    I’d love to see this team pull together down the stretch. I just worry that the injuries may be too much to overcome.

I agree with your statements. The two blowout losses were horrible, but this is a young team searching for its identity. It seems to me that some are starting to stand up and be leaders, where a leadership vacuum definitely exists.

I’m not excusing the blowouts, but this season is giving some young players some adversity to respond too, which IMO will pay great dividends down the road.

I’d love to see the Broncos shock everyone and end up in the playoffs!

Leave a comment:

• DENVER BRONCOS one of the best 4-5 teams ever... Here's why!

ON ESPN Radio last night they were reviewing mid-season grades that had recently been given out to all the NFL teams. The analyst was asked about teams he thought were tough to grade. He said the Redskins and Saints were two teams. This got me thinking...

If you look at the NFL landscape... at all the teams... And take a fair, objective look at everything (YES, even though I'm a die hard Broncos fan, I still think I'm capable of doing this)... TO ME... The Denver Broncos epitomize that definition of being the one, singular team that is almost impossible to grade at this point.

That is why I have to give the Denver Broncos an INCOMPLETE in my evaluation!
    I might even say they deserve a solid "B" when you consider this:

(1) You cannot ignore what happened in the off season with the two tragedies, the deaths of Williams and Nash. As if what happened to Nash wasn't terrible enough, but the circumstances of D-Willy's death confounds and it's toll on some players (Walker, Marshall) cannot be ignored.

Right away... the 2007 campaign got off to a rocky start...

(2) Denver lost the heart-n-soul in both huddles, on both sides of the ball in Rod Smith and Al Wilson. This leaves a hole in the locker room that is already suffering from the foggy hangover of those off season tragedies!

(3) Denver implements a brand new system on defense and hands the ball to a young whipper-snapper with a grand total of four starts under his belt... handing the offense to this second year kid. Changes galore all over the place.

(4) Denver loses two All-Pros for the year... Its left tackle and center. That would hurt any team in the NFL... THEN... it's left tackle is injured. Before you know it... they have a brand new offensive line. And the injuries do not stop there: They lose their number one play maker in Javon Walker, then their RB goes down... a big free agent signing in Henry, one of Cutler's favorite targets breaks his foot (Scheffler) which sets him back... On defense they lose their free safety... The NFL's top defensive player gets banged up in Champ Bailey... They lose their starting DT in Ekuban. Suffice to say... Denver lost about 30% of their players on both sides of the ball, all players in key position... So bad that today they have about like 1 starter in 22 that was starting this time last year...

SO... injuries and new systems means CHANGES-CHANGES-CHANGES... Getting to know you.

(5) Now let's look at their actual performance... the record. The wins: At Buffalo, which at that time looked weak but after further review... Being that the Bills are now wild card players and two FGs away from being 7-2, well that win looks good now. They also beat Pittsburgh, who some say are now the second best team in football... Another quality win. They took care of business at home against a division foe (Raiders) and then won in KC, which is never an easy task. Three of those wins are solid!

The losses: WELL, who did they lose to? ALL PLAYOFF -BOUND caliber teams? Name one let down loss or one loss to a bad team? They lost to JAGS, who are pretty good. They lost to Indy, who are the champs... They lost to GB, they are 8-1! They lost to Detroit, on the road, and the Lions are only one of two teams undefeated at home (Pats are the other), and then they lost to SD. The SD loss was bad but at least that team has talent!

In Conclusion... Had Graham not dropped that ball on that final drive against JAX... maybe Broncos win. IF DENVER would have scored a TD on the last drive against GB, instead of settling for the FG... DENVER would be 5-4 instead of 4-5 and would really look good right now...

THE POINT IS: Despite the poor play and how bad this team has looked this season, given everything... you have to admit this team has held it's own. I'm proud of them!

They are 4-5... sure... but they've played a tough schedule and were dealt a bad hand. This is why I say the grade is incomplete... Their final seven games are: TENN, @ CHI, @ OAK, KC, @ HOU, @ SD, Minny.

If DEN can go 4-1 in the next 5... They'll be 8-6 heading into that Xmas eve showdown, probably battling for the AFC West crown... NO matter what happens in that game... IF they win against Minny... Broncos will be either 9-7 or 10-6. 10-6 and division crown would be remarkable given everything that has happened... Even 9-7 would show me something... that this team has guts. Let's see what this team does from here on in...
    Last edited by fraguela09; 11-14-2007, 01:20 PM.
Working...
X