Post game rants---Bears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post game rants---Bears

Is it true that the simple flick of a coin really could decide a W or L? Not just the flick and the toss of a spinning shiny coin but what about the call of which side of the coin? Heads or tails? Who really know what to call? Tails never fails, well expect on MNF when the Packers call heads.

The win of the coin toss gives the advantage to win the game. Guys are tired, the kickoff could be ran back and if not ran back could give the other team great field position. A play here and a play there then all the sudden your in field goal range. Well that didnt happen last night. It was a one and done bombs away from Favre.

Had the Broncos won the coin toss would we have won? I say yes. A few plays and Elam comes out to bang it through. Both teams were driving on each other and big plays were given up. Which ever team that won the coin toss won the game.

So the question is, and I included a poll. Should this rule be changed? Should teams have a chance like college rules that allow both teams to have a drive each. If both teams score then it keeps going until one doesnt or doesnt match the points? I say it should be changed. Not because of the loss last night but a W or L should land in the fate of a coin.
    Yes, the NFL should keep this rule
    52.17%
    No, I would prefer to see sudden death like college.
    47.83%
    Last edited by DenBronx; 10-30-2007, 09:31 PM.
    sigpic

I voted they should keep the rule just because I think that college overtime is more flawed than pro. However I think that pro overtime has a huge flaw in terms of fairness, and should be revised.

Comment

Originally posted by DenBronx View Post
      Is it true that the simple flick of a coin really could decide a W or L? Not just the flick and the toss of a spinning shiny coin but what about the call of which side of the coin? Heads or tails? Who really know what to call? Tails never fails, well expect on MNF when the Packers call heads.

The win of the coin toss gives the advantage to win the game. Guys are tired, the kickoff could be ran back and if not ran back could give the other team great field position. A play here and a play there then all the sudden your in field goal range. Well that didnt happen last night. It was a one and done bombs away from Favre.

Had the Broncos won the coin toss would we have won? I say yes. A few plays and Elam comes out to bang it through. Both teams were driving on each other and big plays were given up. Which ever team that won the coin toss won the game.

So the question is, and I included a poll. Should this rule be changed? Should teams have a chance like college rules that allow both teams to have a drive each. If both teams score then it keeps going until one doesnt or doesnt match the points? I say it should be changed. Not because of the loss last night but a W or L should land in the fate of a coin.
      first edit your poll college isnt sudden death NFL is

well for obviousl reasons like how long a game could take using the college method is insane. the extreme risk of injury and all that.

i like it its almost an extra incentive to try to win the game in regulation instead of playing for the Tie and then send it to OT unless you shanny

but if you cant stop the team starting from their own 15 then you have a problem on defense and especially if its 1 play and you really dont deserve to win
      sigpic
      -------

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
        first edit your poll college isnt sudden death NFL is

yeah i caught that after it was too late and now i cant edit it.
        sigpic

Comment

yeah i caught that after it was too late and now i cant edit it.
          haha its ok i still got the point
          sigpic
          -------

Comment

Anything is better than that crazy crap they pull in college games.

Comment

Check out Ivars Peterson's Overtime Bias:

Total no. of overtime games (1974–2003) 365
              Both teams had at least one possession 261 (72 %)
              Team won toss and won game 189 (52 %)
              Team lost toss and won game 160 (44 %)
              Team won toss and drove for winning score 102 (28 %)
              Games ending in a tie 15 (5 %)

**You're missing the last 3.5 seasons- but I'd say that's a big enough cross-section to study. Though slight (one a season) the toss winner has an advantage....**

I think that it should be pre-ordained who gets the ball in OT, kind of like the arrow in college basketball for jump balls. I say loser of the regulation coin-toss gets the ball, automatically. It would probably help you decide what to do late in the 4th. Do you play for OT or do you go for the win?? You know you're kicking off---can your 'D' stop??

Comment

Originally posted by Ludes0208 View Post
                Check out Ivars Peterson's Overtime Bias:

Total no. of overtime games (1974–2003) 365
                Both teams had at least one possession 261 (72 %)
                Team won toss and won game 189 (52 %)
                Team lost toss and won game 160 (44 %)
                Team won toss and drove for winning score 102 (28 %)
                Games ending in a tie 15 (5 %)

**You're missing the last 3.5 seasons- but I'd say that's a big enough cross-section to study. Though slight (one a season) the toss winner has an advantage....**

I think that it should be pre-ordained who gets the ball in OT, kind of like the arrow in college basketball for jump balls. I say loser of the regulation coin-toss gets the ball, automatically. It would probably help you decide what to do late in the 4th. Do you play for OT or do you go for the win?? You know you're kicking off---can your 'D' stop??

then you get into well they got the ball at half time crap. i just dont like a coin to decide a teams fate. its differant in the begging of the game because the other team has a chance to get the ball back. but overtime you never know if you will get a chance. usually the first team that gets the ball wins in ot.

id rather see donald driver and bailey sprint from one end zone to the other end zone. or favre and cutler see who could throw it the farthest...elam and crosby see who could kick it the farthest.

better yet the best out of those 3.
                sigpic

Comment

then you get into well they got the ball at half time crap. i just dont like a coin to decide a teams fate. its differant in the begging of the game because the other team has a chance to get the ball back. but overtime you never know if you will get a chance. usually the first team that gets the ball wins in ot.

id rather see donald driver and bailey sprint from one end zone to the other end zone. or favre and cutler see who could throw it the farthest...elam and crosby see who could kick it the farthest.

better yet the best out of those 3.
                  lol no thank you, maybe we should start out the game like the XFL and have people run from a certain distance and then dive towards the ball in full gear
                  sigpic
                  -------

Comment

nfl ot rules suck. it doesn't give the other team a chance to do anything.

Comment

Perhaps there should only be 1 coin toss in the game, and you treat OT like the beginning of another half.

So like this week, the Broncos got the ball to start the game, the packers got the ball the beginning of the second half...so then the Broncos should get the ball going into OT.

Its basically starting another "half" of football, because the ball is being kicked off.

Or you just treat OT like another quarter of football. The Broncos had the ball at the end of the 4th, and scored a FG. The game begins another quarter of football. The Broncos should then kick the ball off to the Packers...and you keep playing until someone wins.

Either strategy would/could alter the strategy of any team either playing the tie to go into OT, or playing to win.

But the flip of a coin leaves too much up to chance.
                      sigpic
                      Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
                      -Sean Payton

Comment

The problem with the rule is that the coin toss does give one team a huge advantage. On the other hand it is VERY difficult to come up with a better solution.

I think the college model is even more flawed than the pro model so I am really against that being adopted.

The only good thing about the pro model is that it cancels out over time, over a couple of seasons you will as many coin flips as you lose in overtime and it will balance out.

Comment

I like the system. It places a value on having a good defense.

Of course... with the way today's rules are skewed towards offense, it kind of defeats the system...

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
                            lol no thank you, maybe we should start out the game like the XFL and have people run from a certain distance and then dive towards the ball in full gear
                            that was always cool to watch....thats the one thing i miss from the xfl...and the cool names they could put on the back of their unis.

maybe the cheerleaders could have a mud wrestling match.
                            sigpic

Comment

maybe the cheerleaders could have a mud wrestling match.
                              Greatest idea in the history of sports. Let the cheerleaders have a direct impact on the game. =D

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Working...
                              X