No announcement yet.

Post game rants---Bears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No defensive back that has ever played makes a play on that last touchdown. I will disagree with some that throw was great--95 times out of 100, the receiver does not catch that ball because it is simply too difficult. GREAT catch, however.

Comment

• Originally posted by roushmartin6 View Post
      Champ would have made the INT if the crappy field wasn't falling apart.
      Really.. his feet slipped right under him.

Give the guy a break people.

Comment

• So what are you suggesting Aija? To tell the best corner in teh NFL to stop playing as he always has?? What do you change?

The thing different this season from last year... last year we could stop the run. Now he knows (feels) that his help is needed to stop that run and help with the tackling. He (and the rest of the DBs) HAVE to help on stopping the running backs since no one else up front seems to be doing it. So what happens? Our DBs get to watching into the backfield a SPLIT second longer, thus giving those fast WRs a split second step on them.

As far as that TD pass.. you are wrong on the assessment. Champ bit in on the pump fake. He took a small step in, and with the wet ground and perfect behind the shoulder pass, he couldn't make the step back. Was he beat, yes. Is there something we should do to change him? No.

Comment

• Seriously, this is reaaalllly getting out of hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aija View Post
            Champ's style of play worked last year. But this year has not. Against Oakland he got beat deep but the ball was dropped. Agaisnt KC Bowe once dropped a pass when he had Champ beat. Green Bay, once again Champ got caught looking into the backfield but this time the ball was caught for 6 points. If you watch that last TD pass from Rex, you'll see that Champ started breaking toward the ball, showing no respect for Rex's arm. When he realized that the ball was over his head, it was too late. All he needed to do was stick to the receiver, instead he was trying to force an INT.
            If you actually watch that play Champ slipped going after the ball
            I will be a Denver Bronco for life. Nothing else matters.

Comment

• hmmmm.....MAYBE Denver's run d is so bad.....they need all the help they can get.....

just a thought.....
              "I'm also serious when I say: You can't stop Elvis Dumervil; you can only hope to contain him." -Peter King-

sigpic
              -The best in the business-

Comment

• Afterward... CHI (Rex and Barian) said they noticed on tape how Champ "cheats" and felt, if they got a shot on the GL... that they could run that play... and Champ would bite on the Pump. CHAMP did chomp on it and they beat him...

What bothered me about that play... (1) They ground was wet, slippery conditions and (2) It's Rex Grossman and (3) They need a TD to tie... SO, why are you taking risks? Just be conservative... stay on your man... deflect the pass.

There was no need to get aggressive and try to jump the route.

Rex is not accurate. The play before... he failed to hit the quick in route... Chances are he wasn't going to go back to that. He doesn't have the arm for that.

Champ beat himself... IMO. Like last year, when his play picked the team up... I think he's trying to hard to make the big plays to help this team win... The opposite is happening now...

Comment

• Passion?

I was going to post this as a reply in another thread, then it turned into it's own blog, so I reconsidered and am putting it out as a new thread.

Folks, this season is looking more and more like the Season To Forget each game. We ARE NOT PLAYING WELL. Period. Otherwise we wouldn't be 5-6 in such a weak division.

So let's examine this term "passion" (it's a verb, let's not forget) and see who has it and who doesn't.

The Passionate Ones: Cutler, Marshall, Scheffler, Selvin Young, Abdullah, Stokely, Bly, Shanahan After His Kicker Blows Three Plays (finally), and the fans.

The Ho-Hum Crew: Most of the D, most of the coaching staff, DEFINITELY the Front Office (excuses, excuses, excuses...and the beat goes on), Henry (just not his style I guess), and a few of the fans...

Now let's break down the negatives for a second.

"Most of the D" : Well, it's hard to get 'passionate' when you're constantly lining up out of position, turning read-and-react players into rocket scientists, and getting no leadership from your D-coach. So I can understand that....a little.

"Most of the Coaching Staff": (sighs...) This is a hard one for me, ...I'm a serious Mike Shanahan supporter. But facts are facts. First of all, a preface: As Bronco fans we are spoiled rotten.
                  It's true. While the rest of the league has to re-build from time to time, (unless you're the Raiders and are in a perpetual state of re-building), during the Shanahan Era we've come to expect OUR team to simply re-load. We're almost ALWAYS competitive. So we have to take a few grains of salt here.
                  I believe there are two flaws with the coaching staff, ....well, three on second thought.
                  1) It may well be that the rest of the league has 'caught up' with Shanahan and are starting to figure him out some. His tendencies and styles, to be exact. For example, running the ball on first and goal NO MATTER WHAT. While that worked with Terrell very well, it simply hasn't since he left. Another example is the WR reverse...it rarely works anymore, kind of like how Elway would approach the line on 4th down and just stand and bark loud to get the other guys to jump offsides. It worked at first, then it became a joke, ....even in our own locker room. Mike needs to innovate a little at this stage of his career, methinks. You can only go to the same well so many times before it runs dry. A little more "rah-rah" from the sidelines might help out this young team too....(hint, hint)
                  2) We simply have not been the same team since Kubiak left. For whatever reasons, Shanny and Gary worked extraordinarily well together, and it's been problematic since they split. A good offensive co-ordinator might well be worth his weight in gold.
                  and 3) (those who've read my posts this season already can guess this one) Jim Bates IS NOT the D Coach for this team. I won't elaborate, since I already have at length, ....oh, I believe it was in September. Grrrrrrr.......
                  In short, the coaches are not inspiring our guys to play hard for a full game. Period. And THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE PAID TO DO.

I'll digress for a moment. I coached football for a real short stint in my eventful life. I never lost (you read: NEVER LOST, Un-D-feated). My team was double-digit underdogs in EVERY game we played, were outclassed at every position in every game we played, (you read: teeny-tiny school)....yet we were undefeated. MANY TIMES I had to motivate players on the sidelines prior to games that my players were sure we would lose. And let me tell you, I wasn't above OR below using ANYTHING I FELT WAS NECESSARY to get my players to give EVERYTHING THEY HAD on that field. Up to and including embarrassing them to their wives and kids. Some times they hated me more than they hated the opposing players (LOL....it's true), ....but I got 110% from EVERYone on EVERY down. And we won. Every...single...game. Fear can be an incredible focusing tool. I have the trophy to prove it. MOTIVATION works at EVERY LEVEL, regardless of WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Good Lord....
                  It's time for some motivational techniques from our coaching staff, ....and they are not providing it. (Anyone remember a guy named Vince Lombardi???)

Moving on....

"The Front Office": This may well be the root of the Broncos slide into the depths of mediocrity. Our front office is like a royal family, ....they hold their jobs for life (or so it seems). I've read their words, listened to them, and one thing stands out starkly: Ho-hum. There is no fire, no urgency, and a TON of excuse making for seriously flawed decisions. This happens when you KNOW that you are 'un-firable'. It's time for Bowlen to clean house in the Front Office. I could elaborate greatly on this, but I think my point is clear.

"Henry": As I said in the parenthesis above, it just isn't his style to be a rah-rah type, and he's hardly responsible for the level of emotional play of the team. Hell, he has enough issues to deal with this year.

"A Few Of The Fans": Again, negligible, since they don't make decisions about the team.

Some things to ponder in closing:

IF this team is playing so emotionally, (as some of you suggest), then WHY is Brandon Marshall castigating them for not doing so, ....and on nearly a weekly basis????

And IF Shanahan is going to give out free-passes to players and coaches who aren't playing with fire, then how does he expect a change in attitude, which translates into better play????

It's time to air out the dirty laundry and do some washing, ....the old stuff has grown stale and dirty.

(Front Office - THIS MEANS YOU!!!)

As always, your thoughts, input, criticisms, and insults are welcome. (Let's try and leave the death threats out though...LOL!!! ) Talk to me, people.

Comment

• For what we pay Gold, a "great game" should be common and the bad ones sparse. Unfortunately, it is reversed.

R Ayers - B Cofield - A Haynesworth - CJ ohnson
                    J Anderson - J Beason - DJ Williams
                    R Bailey - P Amukamara - R Hill - A Goodman

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Tyger View Post
                      I was going to post this as a reply in another thread, then it turned into it's own blog, so I reconsidered and am putting it out as a new thread.

Folks, this season is looking more and more like the Season To Forget each game. We ARE NOT PLAYING WELL. Period. Otherwise we wouldn't be 5-6 in such a weak division.

So let's examine this term "passion" (it's a verb, let's not forget) and see who has it and who doesn't.

The Passionate Ones: Cutler, Marshall, Scheffler, Selvin Young, Abdullah, Stokely, Bly, Shanahan After His Kicker Blows Three Plays (finally), and the fans.

The Ho-Hum Crew: Most of the D, most of the coaching staff, DEFINITELY the Front Office (excuses, excuses, excuses...and the beat goes on), Henry (just not his style I guess), and a few of the fans...

Now let's break down the negatives for a second.

"Most of the D" : Well, it's hard to get 'passionate' when you're constantly lining up out of position, turning read-and-react players into rocket scientists, and getting no leadership from your D-coach. So I can understand that....a little.

"Most of the Coaching Staff": (sighs...) This is a hard one for me, ...I'm a serious Mike Shanahan supporter. But facts are facts. First of all, a preface: As Bronco fans we are spoiled rotten.
                      It's true. While the rest of the league has to re-build from time to time, (unless you're the Raiders and are in a perpetual state of re-building), during the Shanahan Era we've come to expect OUR team to simply re-load. We're almost ALWAYS competitive. So we have to take a few grains of salt here.
                      I believe there are two flaws with the coaching staff, ....well, three on second thought.
                      1) It may well be that the rest of the league has 'caught up' with Shanahan and are starting to figure him out some. His tendencies and styles, to be exact. For example, running the ball on first and goal NO MATTER WHAT. While that worked with Terrell very well, it simply hasn't since he left. Another example is the WR reverse...it rarely works anymore, kind of like how Elway would approach the line on 4th down and just stand and bark loud to get the other guys to jump offsides. It worked at first, then it became a joke, ....even in our own locker room. Mike needs to innovate a little at this stage of his career, methinks. You can only go to the same well so many times before it runs dry. A little more "rah-rah" from the sidelines might help out this young team too....(hint, hint)
                      2) We simply have not been the same team since Kubiak left. For whatever reasons, Shanny and Gary worked extraordinarily well together, and it's been problematic since they split. A good offensive co-ordinator might well be worth his weight in gold.
                      and 3) (those who've read my posts this season already can guess this one) Jim Bates IS NOT the D Coach for this team. I won't elaborate, since I already have at length, ....oh, I believe it was in September. Grrrrrrr.......
                      In short, the coaches are not inspiring our guys to play hard for a full game. Period. And THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE PAID TO DO.

I'll digress for a moment. I coached football for a real short stint in my eventful life. I never lost (you read: NEVER LOST, Un-D-feated). My team was double-digit underdogs in EVERY game we played, were outclassed at every position in every game we played, (you read: teeny-tiny school)....yet we were undefeated. MANY TIMES I had to motivate players on the sidelines prior to games that my players were sure we would lose. And let me tell you, I wasn't above OR below using ANYTHING I FELT WAS NECESSARY to get my players to give EVERYTHING THEY HAD on that field. Up to and including embarrassing them to their wives and kids. Some times they hated me more than they hated the opposing players (LOL....it's true), ....but I got 110% from EVERYone on EVERY down. And we won. Every...single...game. Fear can be an incredible focusing tool. I have the trophy to prove it. MOTIVATION works at EVERY LEVEL, regardless of WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Good Lord....
                      It's time for some motivational techniques from our coaching staff, ....and they are not providing it. (Anyone remember a guy named Vince Lombardi???)

Moving on....

"The Front Office": This may well be the root of the Broncos slide into the depths of mediocrity. Our front office is like a royal family, ....they hold their jobs for life (or so it seems). I've read their words, listened to them, and one thing stands out starkly: Ho-hum. There is no fire, no urgency, and a TON of excuse making for seriously flawed decisions. This happens when you KNOW that you are 'un-firable'. It's time for Bowlen to clean house in the Front Office. I could elaborate greatly on this, but I think my point is clear.

"Henry": As I said in the parenthesis above, it just isn't his style to be a rah-rah type, and he's hardly responsible for the level of emotional play of the team. Hell, he has enough issues to deal with this year.

"A Few Of The Fans": Again, negligible, since they don't make decisions about the team.

Some things to ponder in closing:

IF this team is playing so emotionally, (as some of you suggest), then WHY is Brandon Marshall castigating them for not doing so, ....and on nearly a weekly basis????

And IF Shanahan is going to give out free-passes to players and coaches who aren't playing with fire, then how does he expect a change in attitude, which translates into better play????

It's time to air out the dirty laundry and do some washing, ....the old stuff has grown stale and dirty.

(Front Office - THIS MEANS YOU!!!)

As always, your thoughts, input, criticisms, and insults are welcome. (Let's try and leave the death threats out though...LOL!!! ) Talk to me, people.

This kinda talk belongs in the off season. Lets see what happens with the remaing games. For some odd reason I get this feeling we are going to win our division. The lost yesreday will make us a better team...

Comment

• Originally posted by Eliminatrix View Post
                        I was watching the game and noticed a few things.

1. Do Not Kick to Devin Hester, Sauerbrun was kicking it straight at hester and daring him to return it. It didn't turn out to well for him or the broncos. Sauerbrun ended up watching Devin Hester run into the endzone from his back.

2. Ian Gold played probably his best game of the season. He was involved in so many plays did well covering the TE except for in OT, but all the LB's messed up on that play. Overall a great game for Ian Gold.

3. Our defense needs to improve. Flat out or defense got shredded by Gross-man and a 2nd string plug running back. That is unacceptable!
                        SHANNY PLEASE DO SOMETHING

4. One brightspot our offence is consistently improving and shows alot of promise B. Marsh looks like he could be an elite receiver in a couple of years. What a catch by Scheffler . Could be a top offence in the league in time.

1. Why is this post in the draft forum?

2. Ian Gold was not covering Desmond Clark in Overtime against the Bears, that was DJ Williams.

3. As for the rest, I agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cutler2007 View Post
                          For what we pay Gold, a "great game" should be common and the bad ones sparse. Unfortunately, it is reversed.

He has played FAR more good games then bad games this season. Infact, the entire second half of the season, after our bye, he has been playing well.

Also, we only pay him 5 million per season. That's about average for LBs. The top LBs get paid 10 million. I think he's playing well for what we pay him.

Comment

• Originally posted by orangenblue420 View Post
                            It was the right call just at the wrong time - but that one play did not give them 14 points on returns by Hester and 17 points in the last 8 minutes of the game

Question? I thought the offense couldnt advance a fumble in the NFL - Did that rule change? (And it has nothing to do with this game - I think it was the Giants game where I saw the Vikings advance a fumble for a 1st down and I always thought they had a rule where the offense cant "gain" from fumbling)
                            Orange,

I only officiate at the HS level, but I think the rule is the same. On 4th down, only the offensive player who fumbled the ball can advance it. If it's any other down, any player can advance it.
                            "Oh I Have Slipped The Surly Bonds of Earth... Put Out My Hand And Touched the Face of God"

-Rest In Peace, Darrent & Damien

Comment

• Originally posted by roushmartin6 View Post
                              Champ would have made the INT if the crappy field wasn't falling apart.
                              He slipped!
                              BRONCOPOWER

Comment

• Originally posted by DirtyDuane View Post
                                This kinda talk belongs in the off season. Lets see what happens with the remaing games. For some odd reason I get this feeling we are going to win our division. The lost yesreday will make us a better team...
                                At 5-6 I don't believe it belongs in the offseason at all. I addressed issues that are all current with the current team. But thanks for your opinion and input. I hope your hunch is correct. Also: I'm not the kind of person who ever believes that losing makes you better. It only makes you a loser. Winning makes you a winner.....but that's me. I'm fairly certain that Elway would agree with me.
                                However, I would appreciate your thoughts on some of the topic related material I posted.

Comment

Working...
                                X