Post game rants---Bears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andre Hall injury...

with Andre Hall concurring a high ankle sprain during the Bears game...i have this one question. if he can't play next week vs. the raiders...and Selvin and Travis are still out, who do we turn to next? Mike Bell?

Comment

• Thoughtful post, Darth.
      There is always talk on here after a loss about the "front office" and "mike shanahan."...firings and blah blah blah.

When we win, that talk calms to, well....nothing. The loss to the Lions was demoralizing. The team looked within, decisions were made, players were let go, and lots of meetings were held.

Cutler was approached, told to be more vocal. He responded very well, and its showing on the field.

And interview with Rod Smith last Monday night gave great insight to the "players only" meeting, and what was said, and who was brought up as not pulling their weight, and not playing.

Shanahan cut Cox and Simeon Rice, two under-performing folks on the team. Message was VERY clear to the players about that. The new players brought in have had positive impact on this team.

A challenge was put out by Shanahan to increase offensive output...double the points scored. Up to 3 weeks ago, Denver was scoring 17 points a game. Now the output is 31.6 points per game.

Up to this last game, special teams showed a marked improvement....but kicking it to Hester was not smart, wether intentional or not we will never know.

About the "paying to play thing"....I think playing football takes a lot of passion. Being only a fan, the passion I have for the game is small in comparision to these guys. Players pay their dues with their bodies long before they reach the NFL...so they can reach the NFL. However, just because someone gets paid to perform a job doesnt nesacerrily (sp.) mean they will always do it at a high level. They are human. I get paid to do my job, and do it well....yet here I am on a message board at 430pm Monday afternoon.
      It happens. If money is not a motivating factor, the relationships these men have on and off the field with their teammates is.

This team is motivated. The front office is motivated. The last thing this team needs is a clean slate up front. Think we scream now with 5-6 record? A front office clean out puts us with the Raiders, Lions andBills.
      sigpic
      Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
      -Sean Payton

Comment

• Originally posted by spikerman View Post
        Sorry,

I feel your frustration, but by rule, that was illegal contact. It sucks and there were some bad calls (the only one that was unforgivable was the "incompletion" that was upheld on replay), but that penalty was the right call.
        No, actually Stokley's incompletion that was upheld was a good call. Maybe you missed it through you orange-colored glasses but it did skip a split second before it hit his hand.

Comment

• Sapp would get the start, since Bell is clearly in Shanahans dog house. I personally think that Young will be ready to go. He was very close to starting yesterday and (imo) they just sat him so he would be good and fresh for a divisional game against the raiders.

Comment

• Good question

A look at the depth chart suggests that Bell is the logical call (though he is a FB now, he's played back there before). BTW, didn't the Bronx resign Kyle Johnson? He's a FB but hey, any port in a storm.

Comment

• I disagree with the fact that Bly impeded Moose's progress... I thought the ball was sort of under thrown and on the wrong shoulder... When he was "tapped" the ball wasn't even throw... AND... Moose ran right into Bly. YES. It was a penalty by rule but it had no impact on the play... IMO.

What about the play where Archuletta bear hugged Scheffler? I think that was more blatant... then what Bly did... BUT NO CALL? That's the point... If you allow the game to be played a certain way all game... you cannot change it at the end.

LOOK... Broncos got robbed. For the second week in a row... the refs blow the whistle too early... Rex was tackled in the open field and the refs blow the whistle before he's even down? IF HE SLIDES... YES... blow the whistle. BUT, if he's fighting for the first down... he's just another open field runner. For the ref to blow a quick whistle is just plain wrong. HAMZA forced the fumble and should have been allowed to recover the fumble, which would have been a TD. REFS are instructed to let the play take its course so this wont be an issue. There was no early whistle on the AP TD run right?

So... we had on ticky-tac call on Bly when game was over... Another early whistle by the reg which cost DEN a TD...

Finally, on that punt... call us for a questionable illegal formation... Leads to a blocked punt. Instead of bears getting ball on their 20... they get ball on Den's 20...

So... three horrible calls: One call cost DEN a TD, another gave the Bears an additional 60 yards in field position and finally the last call was basically a turnover which gave the Bears another four downs when the game was already over.

On top of giving the Bears the ball (a turnover) and giving them 60 yards in field position... ALL within the final 7 minutes... They took a TD away from DE.

You cannot say the refs didn't impact this game.

AND... on top of that... DEN fans have to watch Adam Archuletta bear hug Scheffler and see nothing called... and... according to BLY, the ref said he didn't grab him long enough?

We are just looking for consistency... If Archuletta didn't grab Scheff long enough, then what about Bly?

Did it cost DEn the game... NO WAY. BUT... did these calls help the Bears win... SURE DID.

Comment

• Originally posted by BaileyTheBest View Post
                No, actually Stokley's incompletion that was upheld was a good call. Maybe you missed it through you orange-colored glasses but it did skip a split second before it hit his hand.
                Apparently even the announcers were wearing those same orange-colored glasses, huh? That ball did not skip. When I first saw it live, that's what I thought happened too, but the replay clearly did not show that.
                "Oh I Have Slipped The Surly Bonds of Earth... Put Out My Hand And Touched the Face of God"

-Rest In Peace, Darrent & Damien

Comment

• Originally posted by melville0819 View Post
                  A look at the depth chart suggests that Bell is the logical call (though he is a FB now, he's played back there before). BTW, didn't the Bronx resign Kyle Johnson? He's a FB but hey, any port in a storm.
                  no it will be sapp if all other 3 cant go. i mean bell fumbled on his like 1 touch the game i think
                  sigpic
                  -------

Comment

• Aside from a special teams breakdown yesterday, the whole team seems to be playing with much more “passion” then earlier.

Some of the young players, most notably Cutler and Marshall, are starting to assume a much stronger leadership role. Dumervil and Crowder have been playing very well.

Shanahan *is* still innovating. They re-named icing the kicker “Pulling a Shanahan” due to how Shanahan put his own spin on it. When was the last time you saw the option in the NFL? Shanahan has several times.

He’s still getting great production from no-name backs.

The offense has moved the ball at will almost all season, including against some of the top defenses in the NFL. This in spite of losing a huge number of key players on offense to injury. And over the last few games, as the team has started to gel, moving the ball is turning into some serious points.

The Broncos aren’t there, and as much as Shanahan hates the word, they are indeed rebuilding. But they have a good, solid nucleus of young players that can be built upon for success.

Comment

• I don't mind the judgment call on that catch... That happens and what can the refs do. It was ruled an INC so the evidence would have to prove beyond a doubt it was a catch... tough to overturn that. Like last week, I thing Scaife caught that ball before halftime... BUT... I don't think the evidence was conclusive enough to warrant overturning the INC. I think that is why the refs didn't review, b/c the both said that.

SO... catch or not a catch... unless it is OBVIOUS... review will concur with the call on the field.

What bothers me about the Hamza play and the Bly call... Those are examples of POOR officiating. You don't blow the whistle early and you don't change the way you've been calling the game late in the 4th quarter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darth Tyger View Post
                        At 5-6 I don't believe it belongs in the offseason at all. I addressed issues that are all current with the current team. But thanks for your opinion and input. I hope your hunch is correct. Also: I'm not the kind of person who ever believes that losing makes you better. It only makes you a loser. Winning makes you a winner.....but that's me. I'm fairly certain that Elway would agree with me.
                        However, I would appreciate your thoughts on some of the topic related material I posted.
                        I guess I kinda agree with you....... That saying "IT DOESN"T MATTTER IF YOU WIN OR LOSE IT"S HOW YOU PLAY YHE GAME" was made up by a bunch of losers...........LOL
                        Last edited by DirtyDuane; 11-26-2007, 02:54 PM.

Comment

• I bet we'd sign Wali Lundy or Ciatrick Fason...someone like that.

Comment

• We had that game on lock! We still controll our destiny!

Comment

• That was illegal contact. The rules only give you five yards to do all kinds of contact, but after that, that's it. A good DB will make it discreet - lean on him, use his arm's running motion to slow down the receiver.

Comment

• Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
                                I don't mind the judgment call on that catch... That happens and what can the refs do. It was ruled an INC so the evidence would have to prove beyond a doubt it was a catch... tough to overturn that. Like last week, I thing Scaife caught that ball before halftime... BUT... I don't think the evidence was conclusive enough to warrant overturning the INC. I think that is why the refs didn't review, b/c the both said that.

SO... catch or not a catch... unless it is OBVIOUS... review will concur with the call on the field.

What bothers me about the Hamza play and the Bly call... Those are examples of POOR officiating. You don't blow the whistle early and you don't change the way you've been calling the game late in the 4th quarter.
                                At the same time, the fumble ruling was also a judgement call. I can definitely see how the official (probably the Umpire) called that. It's a QBs league and they're going to protect them. At full speed, I'm sure it was a bang-bang play. It sucks and I wish Denver had gotten the call initially, but I don't blame the ref for blowing the whistle there if he thought the runner was down before the ball came out.
                                "Oh I Have Slipped The Surly Bonds of Earth... Put Out My Hand And Touched the Face of God"

-Rest In Peace, Darrent & Damien

Comment

Working...
                                X