Various interesting stats and rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Various interesting stats and rankings

What can I say? I'm a bit of a stats geek and I know it. Stats don't tell the whole story but they do give you a basis of comparison against other teams and players. Here are a few I found interesting:

Total yards per game:
    Code:
    [U]Rank	Team                   	Yds/G[/U]
    1	New England Patriots	434.4
    2	Dallas Cowboys      	388.8
    3	Green Bay Packers	380.4
    4	Indianapolis Colts	371.7
    5	Cincinnati Bengals	361.2
    6	Philadelphia Eagles	356.3
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]7	Denver Broncos     	354.6[/COLOR]

Ranked #4 overall at 5.8 yards per play. This simply says that the Broncos are one of the best in the league at moving the ball.

The Broncos rank #18 at 20.1 points per game. This is the popular one because it contrasts with our yardage ranking. We can move the ball but not punch it in. However, when you consider we ranked around #28 - #30 just a few weeks ago, it also shows how much improvement we've made in the scoring department of late.

Rushing yards per game:
    Code:
    1	Minnesota Vikings	173.3
    2	Pittsburgh Steelers	141.7
    3	Jacksonville Jaguars	138.5
    4	Tennessee Titans	132.0
    5	Oakland Raiders     	131.4
    6	Washington Redskins	124.6
    7	New England Patriots	124.2
    [COLOR="darkorange"]8	Denver Broncos     	124.0[/COLOR]

We're ranked #2 in the NFL at 4.5 yards per carry. Considering we're on our 3rd tailback and have 4 of 5 new offensive linemen from last season, I'd say this is still pretty impressive. On the downside, we're ranked #18 in rushing TDs. Our offensive line seems to do much better with a lot of room and not so well down near the end zone.

Passing yards per game:
    Code:
    1	New England Patriots	310.2
    2	Green Bay Packers	298.5
    3	Cincinnati Bengals	270.5
    4	New Orleans Saints	266.6
    5	Dallas Cowboys      	265.9
    6	Houston Texans     	256.0
    7	Detroit Lions         	251.2
    8	Seattle Seahawks	250.5
    9	Indianapolis Colts	248.1
    10	Arizona Cardinals	246.2
    11	Cleveland Browns	243.4
    12	Philadelphia Eagles	237.9
    [COLOR="darkorange"]13	Denver Broncos     	230.6[/COLOR]

This might not seem that impressive but consider that we're a running team and we're ranked #6 with 7.6 yards per pass and our QB just notched his 16th start. We've also been without our top two receivers from last season and have an 80% revamped offensive line. I think we've made solid improvement through the air, all things considered.

On the defensive side:

Total yards: Ranked #25 at 350.1 ypg
    Yards per play: Ranked #26 at 5.6 ypp
    Points allowed: Ranked #31 at 26.8 ppg

Looking at just defensive points allowed, the Broncos move allthe way up to #25 at 21.7 points per game. Hooray! But seriously, that's 5.1 points per game that have been given up by terrible special teams and/or the other team's defense scoring. That's pretty close to a TD per game given up by somebody other than our defense. That hurts.

(EDIT: Here's few more defensive stats)

Rushing yards per game: Ranked #29 at 146.7 ypg allowed
    Passing yards per game: Ranked #10 at 203.4 ypg allowed
    Sacks: Ranked 17th with 23 sacks

Turonvers: We rank #16 in the NFL with a -1 turnover ratio

---------------

Some individual stats:

Quarterback:
    Code:
    [U]Rank	Player     	Comp	Att	Pct	Yds	Avg	Yds/G	TD	Int	Rate[/U]
    1	Tom Brady	284	392	72.4	3,439	8.8	312.6	39	4	127.9
    2	Ben Roethlis	193	288	67.0	2,380	8.3	216.4	23	9	106.0
    3	Tony Romo	233	352	66.2	3,043	8.6	276.6	29	13	105.3
    4	David Garrard	136	209	65.1	1,626	7.8	203.2	9	0	103.1
    5	Brett Favre	291	425	68.5	3,356	7.9	305.1	22	8	101.5
    6	Jeff Garcia	182	282	64.5	2,135	7.6	194.1	11	3	96.0
    7	Carson Palmer	282	418	67.5	3,076	7.4	279.6	21	15	90.8
    7	Kurt Warner	158	254	62.2	2,009	7.9	223.2	13	8	90.8
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]9	Jay Cutler	194	300	64.7	2,384	7.9	216.7	13	10	89.6[/COLOR]

Cutler ranks #9 in passer rating, #12 in completion percentage, tied at #4 with 7.9 yards per attempt. All pretty impressive considering his lack of experience, IMO.

None of our running backs have played enough to warrant individual comparisons so I'm skipping them.

Wide receivers:
    Code:
    [U]Rank	Player     	Rec	Yds	Avg	Yds/G	TD[/U]
    1	T.J. Houshmandz	83	872	10.5	79.3	11
    2	Wes Welker	81	878	10.8	79.8	7
    3	Derrick Mason	79	775	9.8	70.5	2
    4	Larry Fitzgera	75	1,060	14.1	96.4	6
    5	Chad Johnson	71	1,041	14.7	94.6	6
    5	Randy Moss	71	1,095	15.4	99.5	16
    7	Marques Colston	68	847	12.5	77	6
    7	Reggie Wayne	68	1,011	14.9	91.9	7
    9	Bobby Engram	67	814	12.1	74	3
    10	Torry Holt	66	809	12.3	73.5	5
    11	Terrell Owens	64	1,093	17.1	99.4	13
    12	Donald Driver	63	832	13.2	75.6	2
    [COLOR="darkorange"]13	Brandon Marsh	59	847	14.4	77	4[/COLOR]
    He didn't start off as our #1 receiver but Marshall has been slowly climbing the rankings. #13 in receptions, #10 in yards per game. The main disappointment is that he hasn't scored more TDs. But overall not bad for his 2nd season.

Tight ends:

Scheffler ranks #18 in receptions with 28, Graham is #30 with 20. Scheff is #11 with 3 TDs. He also struggled to get back on the field due to injury early this season. If he can manage to start a season healthy and stay healthy, I think he'll put up some really good numbers.

On defense, not a lot of notables.

Dumervil is still ranked #8 amongst defensive linemen in the NFL with 8 sacks, #2 in the AFC. That's despite not getting one the past couple games. He's still tied at #1 in the NFL with 4 created turnovers (1 INT + 3 FF).

D.J. Williams is tied at #7 amongst linebackers with 93 total tackles.

Dre Bly is tied at #6 amongst defensive backs with 4 INTs. Champ missed a few games and hasn't been quite himself while playing with his injury and doesn't have the INTs this year.

That's about it. Any comments on any of the stats?
    Last edited by Javalon; 11-28-2007, 04:36 PM. Reason: Added a few more defensive stats per request
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

I think offensively, we've finally hit our stride. Now, that's not to say that we're still not going to struggle at various points or make mistakes, because we're still very young and have a lot of room to grow. But I see nothing but great potential for this offensive unit.

Now, if only our special teams and defense can get in line...
    sigpic

Comment

I'm a fan of stats too... maybe because I'm a mathematical thinker. Thanks for those. I was looking for our defensive rush yards per game, to see how that has been improving over past weeks. It's pretty obvious our rush D has really stepped up recently.

Edit: So I looked up our rush defense. Currently we're ranked 29th... ahead of the fins, jets and raiders in that order... all by less then 80 yards.
      Last edited by Zealander; 11-28-2007, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Better than I thought. I knew that we have some good stats but not that good. It's not great but at least it's better than most other teams out there. The yards and stuff look good but scoring needs to improve. Great Job by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Zealander View Post
          I'm a fan of stats too... maybe because I'm a mathematical thinker. Thanks for those. I was looking for our defensive rush yards per game, to see how that has been improving over past weeks. It's pretty obvious our rush D has really stepped up recently.

Edit: So I looked up our rush defense. Currently we're ranked 29th... ahead of the fins, jets and raiders in that order... all by less then 80 yards.
          Yep, I forgot those. I just added a couple more defensive stats. Thanks for the suggestion.

Even though our rush defense has improved a bit, it's still nothing to write home about. But at least we're not getting absolutely killed like we were earlier this season.
          ------

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
            I think offensively, we've finally hit our stride. Now, that's not to say that we're still not going to struggle at various points or make mistakes, because we're still very young and have a lot of room to grow. But I see nothing but great potential for this offensive unit.

Now, if only our special teams and defense can get in line...
            I remember last year when our D was setting records to start the season the question was asked "Would you rather have a boring defensive team and win games or an exciting offensive team but lose games?"

Well, considering all the unhappiness around here despite an exciting offense, I'd say most people would prefer a boring defensive team.
            ------

Comment

Originally posted by kratos_godofwar View Post
              Better than I thought. I knew that we have some good stats but not that good. It's not great but at least it's better than most other teams out there. The yards and stuff look good but scoring needs to improve. Great Job by the way.
              Thanks, man. And considering how young our team is overall, and the overly high number and important injuries we've been suffering, I'd say those stats are very good.

I'm hoping that means things will be really impressive next year when these young guys have another year's experience under their belts and we hopefully stay much healthier.

It's exciting to contemplate.
              ------

Comment

These are great stats, but stats dont tell the whole story. The numbers are very promising and the offense seems to be clicking now, but we need to close out games!

None the less, it looks like there are steps in the right direction.
                sigpic

Comment

I'm glad to see Brandon Marshall stepping up this year.

I'm sure he'll get past 1,000 yards. Not bad for a receiver in his second year... coming out as a fourth rounder.

Good job Brandon! Keep it up stud!

Comment

Thanks for the stats Jav!!

I know I'm one that always says stats dont' tell the whole story, and I stand behind that.

But when comparing to the rest of the NFL, I'm excited about our offense. Things are a rag-tag team right now with the changes and the injuries, and our offense is STILL able to move the ball well on anyone.. any defense... any team. Thats REALLY really exciting!!

Travis and Walker both have been out almost the whole season. These are two of our most dangerous offensive weapons, and they have been absent!

It just again re-enforces My excitement of watching our offense and Cutler.

Comment

I think the most astounding thing is that Jay Cutler has been more efficient this season than Peyton Manning and Matt Hasselbeck, not too metion many others...
                      "It's better to die on your feet, than to live a lifetime on your knees." -Emiliano Zapata
                      R.I.P. D-Will & D-Nash R.I.P. Sean Taylor

Comment

Thanks for the research and the effort Jav!

Just to echo what others have said, the offense is definitely showing signs of life, and the ppg for the season obviously don’t tell the whole story as over 4 of the last 5 games (Setroit being the exception), the offense has not only moved the ball well, but has started to finish off drives much more consistently, and are really doing their part to win games.

I still see LB, and DT as the biggest glaring weaknesses on the team. Webster would be a great LB to have off the bench, but has no business starting, and DT obviously has been a huge weakness all year. I really think Dumervil-Crowder-Moss will have the DE position covered (Ekuban making a recovery would help the position immensely as well).

All in all, right now I’m just enjoying watching the “Broncos of the Future” grow and improve.

Comment

Originally posted by Javalon View Post

Dre Bly is tied at #6 amongst defensive backs with 4 INTs. Champ missed a few games and hasn't been quite himself while playing with his injury and doesn't have the INTs this year.

That's about it. Any comments on any of the stats?
                          The only reason Champ doesn't have the interceptions is because QBs rarely throw on him. What is impressive is his 56 tackles, thats 20 more tackles then Lynch and Bly and about 10 short of Gold, in fact he is the only "for sure" thing we have in the secondary (but I do love Paymah). Dre Bly is over hyped and over rated, he only has 4 ints because he is the only corner that gets a chance at them, and he gets burned at least twice every game.

CB > DB

Comment

Originally posted by TheComeBackKid View Post
                            The only reason Champ doesn't have the interceptions is because QBs rarely throw on him. What is impressive is his 56 tackles, thats 20 more tackles then Lynch and Bly and about 10 short of Gold, in fact he is the only "for sure" thing we have in the secondary (but I do love Paymah). Dre Bly is over hyped and over rated, he only has 4 ints because he is the only corner that gets a chance at them, and he gets burned at least twice every game.

CB > DB
                            I dont agree with the statement that Bly is overrated, but that is your opinion. For 2 DB's that have to think about stopping the run first, they are both pretty consistant.

I read an interesting comment made by Bly himself this week, and commented on: The only time you see a DB get burned is on TV. You dont see the times the CB has that WR covered, because they dont throw there.
                            I think that statement has some merit.
                            To be ranked in the top 10 in passing defense is pretty impressive, considering our run stoppage is below average (though improving). There is a reason Champ got all those INT's last year. Our run defense was better, and he could concentrate on doing what he does best.

And anyone opposite Champ is going to get thrown on more. Bly has stepped up big when its counted. He got the INT vs. the Steelers, got a shoulder injury, yet continued to play, because he knew he was really needed that game with Champ out.
                            He almost got a second INT that game, and had his shoulder been 100%, I think he would have.

And thanks for the Stats, Jav! I love these things!
                            sigpic
                            Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
                            -Sean Payton

Comment

Great stats Jav, I too really like what I see out of Jay and Brandon. Those numbers will continue to rise. After the raider game we will pad those books some more in our player's favors!
                              sigpic:rockon:

EEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEE:rockon:

Comment

Working...
                              X