Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DJ may move back to WLB next season...(article)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• d7221116
    replied
    Vilma anyone??????????? Doesnt fit the Jets new 3-3 and He was on trading block for a 2nd rounder, BUT since he has an injury im sure a 3rd may be suitable!!

Imagine Vilma in middle and DJ on weak side!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Dream
    replied
    I've been critical of most of our linebackers, but as some posters have mentioned, it's be interesting to see what these guys could do with another solid defensive end (Ekuban could have been that run support guy) and some real nose tackles at the position to aid them in their assignments and endeavors this year.

We'll see what happens though, I don't think DJ would be the right kind of guy to excel as a WILL in what Bates likes to do, I think he's doing an admirable job at MIKE given the circumstances. As MUG has mentioned, Gold is going out into coverage a lot and the linebackers drop into zones quite often. That's not Williams strong suit, and never has been. Just let him use his athleticism and get down field. It took him a while, but he's getting there. Just imagine what he'd do if we had some real talent on the interior of the line.

Leave a comment:

• DancingHorsey
    replied
    I'm hoping, with the depth of this LB class, that we draft two linebackers in the first four rounds. As far as I'm concerned, we need to replace both Webster and Gold.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoRT
    replied
    This decision will be made around draft time. I haven't seen Conner out of Penn State play, but Laurinaitis out of Ohio State is a beast. There are two potential stud MLB's this year. If Denver is 8-8 and in the teens for the draft, I can see them moving DJ to OLB and drafting one of these two guys. I am not a fan of Ian Gold at LB, but I have a feeling he would be a pretty good SS, which is another weakness of this defense.

Leave a comment:

• AllEyezOnZach27
    replied
    Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
    I don't like the idea of using a 1st rounder on a LB
    Just curious but what would you like to see the Broncos do with their 1st Rd pick? DT, LB, WR, RB, S, OL?

I know LB's are very deep in this draft but I have seen many reports saying that Connor is graded higher coming out than Poz was last year. I like Okam but only if we are picking in the mid 20's. I just dont think he has that much impact to warrant a top 15ish pick. Just my opinion though. I believe if possible the Broncos could get 3 impact rookies in the draft (if we trade Gold + a 4th for a 3rd). LB in the 1st, DT in the 2nd and either S or LB in the 3rd. I guess I just miss the days when there was no question who had the top LB corps in the NFL.

Leave a comment:

• stnzed
    replied
    Ian Golds salary:

Updating previous reports, the six-year deal LB Ian Gold signed with the Denver Broncos has base salaries of $540,000 (2005), $670,000 (2006), $2.3 million (2007), $2.75 million (2008), $3.4 million (2009) and $4.59 million (2010). http://www.kffl.com/player/586/nfl/news

This does not include his signing bonus, so his cap number is significantly higher.

According to KFFL, Gold is due only 2.75 in 08....Meaning they're not saving a whole lot WHEN they do make him take a pay cut.

If his cap number is around 4mil, he's still over payed, his 2006 salary is a lot more like it.

I just can't imagine watching Gold fumble**** around for another three years, he's terrible......
    Last edited by stnzed; 11-30-2007, 12:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied
    Originally posted by AllEyezOnZach27 View Post
    I agree to a point. But if we drafted a LB like Connor is the 1st, do you believe we drop Gold after this year or play Connor at SLB and drop Gold after 2008?

Also do you really believe that Gold's play is worth the contract that we are paying him? And why couldn't a rookie come in and start from day one if they weren't a 1st RD pick? I honestly believe that Beau Bell could come in here and start over Webster/Holdman! IMO
    I know this wasn't aimed at me, but I thought it was interesting and wanted to give my view and opinion.

It's interesting you brought up Connor for your draftee example because he's the one guy that really could bring some utility to our LB corps. He can play any of the 3 LB positions, which would give us a ton of flexibility as for what the organization may want to do at that position. I don't like the idea of using a 1st rounder on a LB, but if we did, Connor is growing on me as the one to use it on.

If we draft Connor, I think your option #2 is more likely, where Connor sees time at SAM (or WILL if Gold is injured) and would take over for Gold in 2009. Connor could also simply just back up all three spots. The Jags did that this year with Durant who was their 2nd round pick.

Gold gets 5 million a year. The top OLBs get 10 million a year. I would say Gold's worth the money we are paying him. There is no LB in the league that is twice as good as he is. Better, yes, Twice as good, no. Incidentally, a rookie 1st rounder would be making more then 5 million per year.

Can a late round LB come in and start? Yes. I believe Morrison did it with Oakland two years ago, he was in the 6th round I think. So, it does happen. It is just rare. And obviously, it's luck as well, you can't depend on finding a mid-late round gem in the draft. And I back Ravage on his statement that just because someone thinks something is the case, doesn't necessarily mean its the reality. It is very rare that a rookie can come in and play better then a veteran, regardless of who it is.

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Originally posted by AllEyezOnZach27 View Post
    I agree to a point. But if we drafted a LB like Connor is the 1st, do you believe we drop Gold after this year or play Connor at SLB and drop Gold after 2008?

Also do you really believe that Gold's play is worth the contract that we are paying him? And why couldn't a rookie come in and start from day one if they weren't a 1st RD pick? I honestly believe that Beau Bell could come in here and start over Webster/Holdman! IMO
    because of the money. I used the first round draft example, because if we are spending that kind of money on a LB, the money being paid to him MAY very well determine how many LBs we keep on the roster simply due to finances. You may feel hat Bell could start over those guys, doesn't mean its a reality. I just don't think the Broncos draft two LBs, and start two rookies. I would say IF (I don't think they do) use a first round pick on a LB, then because of the money he's being paid, would most likely get the first chance (not just given) to break the starting line up.

Now obviously that doesn't scratch all the scenarios that could develop.

Leave a comment:

• AllEyezOnZach27
    replied
    Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    yeah.. I was thinking the same thing. If we drafted a LB, I wouldn't expect that LB to be starting and being an upgrade over anyone on our roster. I would think if we wanted to upgrade, it would have to be through FA.. and thats if we do spend the money for that position.

Since Gold's contract doesn't have a BIG jump until the 2009 season, then I can't imagine us drafting a LB to start that first year (unless its a 1st round pick, then we might).

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
    I still don't think we will be cutting Ian Gold.

Very rarely does a team start a LB from Day 1. It happens, but it's usually not very pretty. Therefore, even if we draft an OLB in the 1st round (which I'm strongly against for value purposes in this particular draft), I don't think we would start a rookie over Gold or Webster, unless that rookie went bonkos in camp.
    yeah.. I was thinking the same thing. If we drafted a LB, I wouldn't expect that LB to be starting and being an upgrade over anyone on our roster. I would think if we wanted to upgrade, it would have to be through FA.. and thats if we do spend the money for that position.

Since Gold's contract doesn't have a BIG jump until the 2009 season, then I can't imagine us drafting a LB to start that first year (unless its a 1st round pick, then we might).

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied
    I still don't think we will be cutting Ian Gold.

Very rarely does a team start a LB from Day 1. It happens, but it's usually not very pretty. Therefore, even if we draft an OLB in the 1st round (which I'm strongly against for value purposes in this particular draft), I don't think we would start a rookie over Gold or Webster, unless that rookie went bonkos in camp.

If my memory serves correct, Ian's salary does not increase more then 500k from this season to next season. It's the season AFTER (2009) that it shoots up. I could be wrong, but I think that's correct.

Which leaves signing an expensive impact LB in free agency as the only way Gold gets cut, and I believe even if we did sign an OLB, he'd be playing SAM for at least this coming season.

I'm not opposed to upgrading over Ian, he does have his flaws. But he's not bad, he brings a lot of skills to the table, and he's affordable, at least for another year (and I still think he'd restructure in a heartbeat if the team asked him). I think we can win with Ian, I don't think we can win with our current DTs, our current SAM, and our current Safeties.

Leave a comment:

• stnzed
    replied
    Originally posted by 24zone View Post
    Bates definately needs "his" type of personnel.
    DJ has improved all year at Mike. He does seem to fit Mike more than the OLB spots...he is finally starting to develop the reading of O-lines, and becoming a dominant down hill gap plugger, critical to Bates scheme-Zach Thomas.
    He is talented to play any LB spot, but he is developing well at Mike.

I'd look for a trade or two to acquire a DT, or LB's. Another possible move in the draft to get a playmaker on defense.

Off Season Pay Cuts, or Cuts
    Based on injury risk/playing time, performance, salary, and potential of youngsters

Gold
    Webster
    Engleberger
    Lynch
    Ferguson
    Adams
    Adams and Ferguson are free agents, I believe.

Hopefully Lynch isn't going anywhere......

Leave a comment:

• 24zone
    replied
    Defense

Bates definately needs "his" type of personnel.
    DJ has improved all year at Mike. He does seem to fit Mike more than the OLB spots...he is finally starting to develop the reading of O-lines, and becoming a dominant down hill gap plugger, critical to Bates scheme-Zach Thomas.
    He is talented to play any LB spot, but he is developing well at Mike.

I'd look for a trade or two to acquire a DT, or LB's. Another possible move in the draft to get a playmaker on defense.

Off Season Pay Cuts, or Cuts
    Based on injury risk/playing time, performance, salary, and potential of youngsters

Gold
    Webster
    Engleberger
    Lynch
    Ferguson
    Adams

Leave a comment:

• AllEyezOnZach27
    replied
    DJ is fine where he is. He is going to be a STUD! Look at Nick Barnett. He was just an average LB and has now come into his own and become a top MLB in this league.

What I would love to see is Denver use their 1st RD pick in the draft on a WLB such as Dan Connor, PSU or Keith Rivers, USC. I really like Connor because he doesn't miss tackles, is a very strong leader, good in pass coverage. Plus he can play all 3 LB positions. Then trade Ian Gold and a 4th to ANY team for a 3rd RD pick. In the 3rd RD draft a SLB such as Beau Bell, UNLV. He is athletic enough to cover TE/RB/FB, a very good blitzer and is blazing fast. Then we keep Webster, Winborn & Holdman for depth/starter/ST.

Next years D...

Crowder/(2nd RD Pick)/Thomas/Moss or Dumervil

Bell/Williams/Connor

Champ/Abdullah/Foxy/Bly!!!

I really feel that this defense can be something special if Shanny has one more real good draft!
    Last edited by AllEyezOnZach27; 11-29-2007, 08:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hauss Bailey
    replied
    Dj

I believe the off season moves will dictate how DJ moves, if the best player available plays MLB, we'll move him back outside. Likewise if the best player we can pick up is a OLB, DJ will stay. He's a stud either way.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X