Shannahan on Bates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shannahan on Bates

In Shannahans monday press confrence, he was asked if he was disappointed in Bates' new system.

There was a long pause, then he said "Thats a really good question". He then proceeded to say that the blame ultimately comes back on him. He needs to put the team in a position to win.

Is this Shannahans way of admitting his GM abilities have hurt the team?
    Or is he just taking the blame for Bates, who Shannahan will give the boot?

I think everyone is dissapointed in Bates. He has only performed marginally in games with sub-par offenses. He's continued to fail to stop the run. He constantly has the db's leaving recievers wide open, and running single coverage on pass plays that we keep getting burnt deep on. I'm trying really hard to like this guy and give him a shot, but I've been continually let down. We have the talent, Champ, Lynch, Bly, and Sam Adams are all pro-bowlers. Marcus Thomas has shown he can play. DJ Williams has been making plays like a madman. There's no excuse for the misuse of our talent. He needs to step up or ship out. I'll give him one more year, if he can't get something done this off-season, good riddance.

Comment

Originally posted by cadencesdad View Post
      In Shannahans monday press confrence, he was asked if he was disappointed in Bates' new system.

There was a long pause, then he said "Thats a really good question". He then proceeded to say that the blame ultimately comes back on him. He needs to put the team in a position to win.

I think that in the pause...he states that the Bates system is not working and is a dissapointment.

He just states the truth, it does end with him, and it is his fault. He has not put the team in a position to win anymore, and with all his responsabilites, the buck does stop with him.

Gut check time about how much longer hes going to coach, I bet to him its very disapointing, Mike is a perfectionist, and if this presists, I belive he will step down. Not this season, but if this continues through next season, my $ is on him resigning, not being fired.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cadencesdad View Post

I think its Shanahan being...Shanahan. Taking responsbility for his actions, for the hiring of Bates.
        Asking Bates to work his system with Coyers players was a HUGE task that I'm thinking....ah....backfired. Shanahan didnt put Bates in a position to "win." Make sense?

I think Bates gets another year to try and work his scheme. Get more players that fit what he wants to do. His scheme is a good one, and without the injuries and "square peg in round hole" players...he might have a shot to "win" next season.
        sigpic
        Adopted by: Peanut

"You find ways to win and certainly you can find ways to lose...it's not just dumb luck."
        -Sean Payton

Comment

Bates was basically put in a position to fail. While there is some decent players and some Pro Bowlers. They need to all play together for it to be effective. Even then when they do all play together its still not that great.

Coyer couldnt make it work with sub par players how the hell is Bates going to make it work.

First it was best team not to make the Play Offs. Then it was best team not to win a play off game. This year its best team to go 8-8.

Comment

I think we almost got one of the first candid answers from Mike Shanahan regarding a current player or coordinator before he wised up and gave the normal, cliche'd response.

I'm glad Shanahan didn't publicly throw Bates under the bus. In the end, Bates was his hire and responsibility. But I think it's evident that he feels it's surely not working.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by coco View Post
              I think that in the pause...he states that the Bates system is not working and is a dissapointment.
              I remember hearing one of the Green Bay Packers players saying it takes about a full season before Bates system works

Comment

for bates system to work or any def. coordinator u need the players we dont have them especially upfront...the draft /fa better focus there again n lb

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks a coach should work with the talent he has first, rather than rigidly adhering to a preset scheme? I'm tired of hearing excuses for Bates' failure. We've given up nearly thirty points per game for Christ's sake!
                  Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by DancingHorsey View Post
                    Am I the only one who thinks a coach should work with the talent he has first, rather than rigidly adhering to a preset scheme? I'm tired of hearing excuses for Bates' failure. We've given up nearly thirty points per game for Christ's sake!

To be honest, DH, I think he's done that. It's just not working anymore......

Comment

Originally posted by DancingHorsey View Post
                      I concur. Some guys approach a side of the ball with a "come hell or highwater, this is what we do" machismo. I've seen it personally at lower levels of collegiate competition. When it doesn't work, this is what it looks like.

I don't know where you stand with the offense, but the lack of the number of possessions is appalling. The defense can't get a stop, and it's one 7+ minute drive after another. It makes the offense look bad. With this magnitude of ineptittude, the offense can't get on the field. Even when there is a stop, several minutes run off the clock.

Comment

some people on here say give bates another year to work his system. how much better can it be next year? will we "improve" to giving up only 24 points a game instead of 30? i can't believe next year would be a dramatic change with what we've seen this year. and if shanahan keeps bates around for one more year and it doesn't work shanahan will be run out of town as well as bates. we could be in for a lengthy stay at the middle of the pack.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
                          some people on here say give bates another year to work his system. how much better can it be next year? will we "improve" to giving up only 24 points a game instead of 30? i can't believe next year would be a dramatic change with what we've seen this year. and if shanahan keeps bates around for one more year and it doesn't work shanahan will be run out of town as well as bates. we could be in for a lengthy stay at the middle of the pack.
                          Ohhh, please don't say that. I trust that you're a well educated individual. Unless I misunderstood what you meant to get across, what people forget so often is that football, like any sport, is still an athletes game. The idea behind anything schematically, is to put the athletes in your charge in a position to succeed. Bailey, Bly, Williams, Lynch, Dumerville, and Gold are players that come to mind who are strong athletes. They've not made the first impact this season (outside of Dumerville-even that's been sporadic). There's too many good athletes on this defense to have this kind of failure.

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                            To be honest, DH, I think he's done that. It's just not working anymore......
                            Not working anymore? It never worked in the first place.

I'm aware that he made some adjustments to his scheme as the season progressed, but his adjustments have not been successful whatsoever. That is where I feel Bates deserves the most criticism. In 12 games he's done alomst nothing to fix any of our problems on D. We keep running the same coverages that don't work. We keep using a four man rush that doesn't work. We keep using a three man rush on third and long so that we seem to give up more third and longs than any defense I've ever seen. Bates has failed horribly this season, and I for one have no interest waiting to see if he sucks less next year. Of course the truth is that I want to see the entire coaching staff go so whatever.

Team Tebow #108

Comment

Originally posted by db32 View Post
                              Ohhh, please don't say that. I trust that you're a well educated individual. Unless I misunderstood what you meant to get across, what people forget so often is that football, like any sport, is still an athletes game. The idea behind anything schematically, is to put the athletes in your charge in a position to succeed. Bailey, Bly, Williams, Lynch, Dumerville, and Gold are players that come to mind who are strong athletes. They've not made the first impact this season (outside of Dumerville-even that's been sporadic). There's too many good athletes on this defense to have this kind of failure.
                              Exactly. We all expected that this defense would have weak points, but we have too much talent for our entire D to be a weak point.

Team Tebow #108

Comment

Working...
                              X