Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Denver strong enough to be AFC Champions this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Denver strong enough to be AFC Champions this year?

Hey, I'm curious just what everyone thinks of the Bronco's chances of winning the AFC this year.
    IMO who ever does win the AFC, pretty much is a lock to win it all.

The Patriots got stronger this year, and with Dillon and all those draft picks added in... I see them as strong contenders to repeat.

As strong as any team since the last team to do so... The Broncos.

IMO Both Denver and the Raiders should be the biggest threats to that... however, both teams seem to be in flux with player unrest:

Denver - Shanahan had problems with Daryl Gardener (gone), Deltha O'neal (gone), and Clinton Portis (gone)... a strange situation considering Shanahan has been such a good coach in the past, perhaps he's been here too long. Denver also lost Ian Gold.

Denver Additions- Champ Bailey, Marco Coleman, Luther Ellis, Cornell Green, Garrison Hearst, Raylee Johnson, John Lynch, O.J. Santiago, Jed Weaver and others... they've brought in more talent than any other team IMO. They should be one of the strongest teams in the AFC this year.

Raiders - After the Player Revolt they had last year, it will be interesting to see if Norv Turner, a supposed player's coach, can turn things around. The main guys are getting extremely old on this team: Rice 41, Brown 38, Gannon 38. Others have retired or been let go: Lincoln Kennedy, Trace Armstrong, Lorenzo Bromell, Bill Romanowski, Matt Stinchcomb, O.J. Santiago, Charlie Garner, Eric Barton, Roderick Coleman, Frank Middleton and others.

Raider Additions- Warren Sapp, Ted Washington, Roland Williams, Denard Walker, Ray Buchanon, Dwayne Rudd, Collins and others.

Colts - Well what can you say about them other than they gave up the future for P. Money aka P. Manning. They lost from their already weak defense: Chad Bratzke, Walt Harris, David Macklin, Marcus Washington, as well as players on offense... who's absence probably won't be noticed.

Colts Additions- None. Zero. Nada.

Titans - Again, likely to be a dangerous team come playoff time... they're built from the bottom up, with good coaching, and players who are blue-collar types. They lost some good players this year Jevon Kearse, Robaire Smith, and Frank Wycheck being the main losses... but they also have 11 (yes 11) draft picks, and should be as solid as any team this year.

Titans additions- Besides Draft Picks, None. Nada. Zilch.

Kansas City, still will be without a defense.

Ravens, will be without an offense.

Teams Like the Texans and Jags... could likely be the surprise teams in the AFC this year, they could put things together and be up there with anyone.
    Snot Bubbles

I think Denver has a chance to go all the way but most, if not all, of their offseason moves have to work out.

Lynch, Champ, Ellis and D.J. have to all step in and play very well on defense and mesh well with the current players.

On offense, we need a young running back and one or two wide receivers to step up and play really well. Plus George Foster needs to show us why he was a first round pick. I'm sure one or two of the tight ends will be serviceable, though nobody can fill Shannon's shoes.

If all those things happen, I like Denver's chances at going to the Big Game. If any of those don't happen, it will get a lot more difficult.

It should be fun finding out, though. I can't wait for the season.
    "You can't take the sky from me..."
    ------
    "You can't shake the Devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

i agree with most of what you said. the only problem with the raiders i see is after that player revolt last year they lost their team mentality. they added some problems with that in sapp. i don't see how a team can go through what they did last year, lose as many players as they did, and still become a team in one season.

Another Great Contribution by SNK16!

We're coming Indy!

Comment

good post, i think the broncos definitely have a good chance, but so do the other top teams, i am hoping for a lot of luck and get that championship.

hopefully Jake Plummer lives up to the potential he showed last year, showing great decision making and mobility, kinda like elway in the past. Q Griffin or Bell or Hearst should definitely be able to move the ball between the tackles and outside as well. They all bring something different, Bell's speed Q's quickness and Hearst has misc. things like blitz pickup and tough yardage situations etc. Lelie is the hopefully breakout player, he has all the tools, speed, jumping ability, and the downfiled big play making ability, we are hoping this is his year

on defense we are trying to be dominant, Champ Bailey will line up opposite the league tallest CB in Lenny Walls, and probowlers al wilson and trevor pryce lead the LB core and D line respectively, looking forward to all of it!
        dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Originally posted by NITROBOARD
          i agree with most of what you said. the only problem with the raiders i see is after that player revolt last year they lost their team mentality. they added some problems with that in sapp. i don't see how a team can go through what they did last year, lose as many players as they did, and still become a team in one season.

Very True, I see the Raiders as a team that could pull themselves together and bounce right back... they have enough talent on that team, and enough veterans to possibly do that.

Or they could just as easily fall flat on their faces again... no doubt that Sapp isn't really a guy you want on a fragile team... but that has always been the Raiders... picking up other team's cast-offs and making winners with misfits.

They sure have gathered enough old men and misfits to the team this year... to rival any Raider team of old who held that Reputation.

My pick for the Champs of the West this year is definitely the Broncos... the Chiefs just don't have a functional Defense... and the Raiders I think will have an up and down year... one game they show up and destroy someone... then they take the next two off... and the Chargers should just take a by from the season and forfiet all their games... save us all the trouble.
          Snot Bubbles

Comment

Originally posted by NITROBOARD
            What your missing is W Sapp has something to Prove(remember what happen when he dropped in draft due to Marijuana charges) He came into league with something to prove.
            W Sapp like a rookie again in a whole diffrent enviroment In oakland and highly motivated to show Gruden(and Buccs) that he has alot left.
            I expect W Sapp to have a very big year as R ryan going to be moving him all over the DL(going to be lining up on the other teams weakest Olineman.

Reports from Raiders minicamp is W sapp has been very quick and explosive. Another prediction I think W sapp come back player of the year.
            http://www.raiders.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/ALELCOFJPHFH/112804gallery-sp10.jpg

Comment

Well Sapp coming back and having a good year, is not the same as the TEAM coming back and having a good year.

And he may play hard for himself... which is not the same as sacrificing ones own stats for the betterment of the team, and the win.

He could be more of a distraction in that locker room, and off the field... than his on field play is worth. Especially on that team.
              Snot Bubbles

Comment

Originally posted by Raiderjoe
                What your missing is W Sapp has something to Prove(remember what happen when he dropped in draft due to Marijuana charges) He came into league with something to prove.
                W Sapp like a rookie again in a whole diffrent enviroment In oakland and highly motivated to show Gruden(and Buccs) that he has alot left.
                I expect W Sapp to have a very big year as R ryan going to be moving him all over the DL(going to be lining up on the other teams weakest Olineman.

Reports from Raiders minicamp is W sapp has been very quick and explosive. Another prediction I think W sapp come back player of the year.
                Player of the Year? Ha, how about no?

Comment

Originally posted by SmashMouthD
                  Well Sapp coming back and having a good year, is not the same as the TEAM coming back and having a good year.

And he may play hard for himself... which is not the same as sacrificing ones own stats for the betterment of the team, and the win.

He could be more of a distraction in that locker room, and off the field... than his on field play is worth. Especially on that team.
                  Listen everyone tries to look for reason beside the real reason(Injuries), for why the Raiders dropped to a 4-12 team. Wow there alot of character issues as Players really imploded from within. Well than where were these same reporters when R gannon and J Gruden had routine shouting matches on the sideline. Nobody said anything as raiders were winning.

Look Raider way is to have nice balance of Older veterans and young players. (not going to change as they will just bring in a new bunch of veterans) The older veterans Job is to teach the young players so that eventually they will take over for the Veterans. YOU lose (Rod woodson- glue secondary, Romo- Glue of LBS , J Parrella- Glue oF DL, B robbins and L Kennedy - glue of OL ,R gannon- Glue of whole offense, WR J Porter - Wr that open up underneath routes for Brown and Rice to exploit ) and its going to effect performance of the whole team.

You think Chiefs being able to start the same OLineman every game wasn't a big reason for their sucess. Only LT B sims played every down ON OL and Raiders were down to third and fourth stringers by season end. ( not going to win when you gwet amount of injuries raiders had on OL last year.

IN conclusion ,wait till this season over and lets see if it was the injuries last year(my poin t) or If IM full of sh-t .
                  http://www.raiders.com/uploads/photos/perm/main/ALELCOFJPHFH/112804gallery-sp10.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by EMCF
                    Player of the Year? Ha, how about no?
                    Okay its a prediction I making from what im hearing from raiders minicamps about Sapp. Here some other Prediction I made on this board 1. Raiders defense will be top five defense next year. 2 LB Napoleon harris will be mention in the same breath with the best LB after this year .(going to happen with what raiders have in front of him on DL) 3. W sapp will win NFL comeback player of year. 4. AND 22 Raiders starters will go to probowl next year.

Four a JoKe , so don't get yourself all work up.

Comment

Listen everyone tries to look for reason beside the real reason(Injuries), for why the Raiders dropped to a 4-12 team. Wow there alot of character issues as Players really imploded from within. Well than where were these same reporters when R gannon and J Gruden had routine shouting matches on the sideline. Nobody said anything as raiders were winning.

Look Raider way is to have nice balance of Older veterans and young players. (not going to change as they will just bring in a new bunch of veterans) The older veterans Job is to teach the young players so that eventually they will take over for the Veterans. YOU lose (Rod woodson- glue secondary, Romo- Glue of LBS , J Parrella- Glue oF DL, B robbins and L Kennedy - glue of OL ,R gannon- Glue of whole offense, WR J Porter - Wr that open up underneath routes for Brown and Rice to exploit ) and its going to effect performance of the whole team.

You think Chiefs being able to start the same OLineman every game wasn't a big reason for their sucess. Only LT B sims played every down ON OL and Raiders were down to third and fourth stringers by season end. ( not going to win when you gwet amount of injuries raiders had on OL last year.

IN conclusion ,wait till this season over and lets see if it was the injuries last year(my poin t) or If IM full of sh-t .
                      Injuries are important, but everybody has them. The Broncos played games without their starting QB, RB, lost 2/3 of their LB core. a starting corner, a starting safety. their kicker for half of a game and various players on their Ol. And still managed to win 10 games. I am not saying the injuries didn't contribute to some of the Raider demise, but it certainly wasn't the whole reason.

Dude, the Raiders were a rudderless ship last year, I certainly believe in the SB hangover. They had a volatile mix of personalities on that team and a coach that couldn't deal with it. Is Turner better equiped, who knows, I personally doubt it but i could be wrong. In addition those injuries could rear its ugly head again, especially considering the age of many key players. I think the Raiders will be better, might even win 8 games, but like I have said they are a year or two away when the younger talent matures.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI03
                        Injuries are important, but everybody has them. The Broncos played games without their starting QB, RB, lost 2/3 of their LB core. a starting corner, a starting safety. their kicker for half of a game and various players on their Ol. And still managed to win 10 games. I am not saying the injuries didn't contribute to some of the Raider demise, but it certainly wasn't the whole reason.

Dude, the Raiders were a rudderless ship last year, I certainly believe in the SB hangover. They had a volatile mix of personalities on that team and a coach that couldn't deal with it. Is Turner better equiped, who knows, I personally doubt it but i could be wrong. In addition those injuries could rear its ugly head again, especially considering the age of many key players. I think the Raiders will be better, might even win 8 games, but like I have said they are a year or two away when the younger talent matures.
                        Listen you can say Im just making excuses for last year for injuries. There wasn't a team hit harder with injuries than Raiders last year. Raiders lost their three top CBs in 2002 (alot of games) and various players for a game or two but survived.(short term) Your not going to survive when you lose amount of players Raiders did last year for amount of time they were lost. Impossible when you shuffling new players in and out of lineup.(not in one area but all over the football field) Just look at how many QBs Raiders lost R gannon- IR, M Tuiasospo- IR. R Mirer- injured, R Johnson -banged up tha Raiders had go to a TEE Martin at QB.

You combine that fact amount of injuriies, every team getting up to play you(was in superbowl) and its understandle that there record was what it was.

Look who would have thought Patriots could go from being one of the worst teams stopping the run in 2002 to, one of the better team stopping the run in 2003. You add some key players whether its in FA or draft and it has snow ball effect on the rest of lineup. E Barton with two massive Dts (J parrella and S adams) keeping him clean had a probowl type season in 2002 but when raiders forced to start two undersized DTs R coleman and C cooper at DT it has a rippple effect on whole roster.

Last point that I can't stop rehashing is that just because some players didn't look that good in a 4-3 , dosen't mean they won't look alot diffrent in 3-4 defense. Im telling you thats case with alot of raiders young LBs.

Comment

Division winners:

Indianapolis- They finally got over that first playoff win. They still struggle on D and just don't have the talent on that side of the ball.

Baltimore- They'll win the weaker North of course on D and running the ball. Boller is not a championship QB.

New England- They'll still be good but not as good as last year. They weren't dominant last year they just won the close games.

Denver- The D will be great and if the offense gells Denver will be the team to beat.

Wild cards:

Tennessee- They need the running game to step up and Chris Brown will take his bumps.

Miami- Without a good QB this team won't have enough to make it all the way.

So my pick is Denver. They will have an amazing D, Plummer is coming into his own, and the running game always succeeds no matter who is back there.

Comment

Faiders Have LBs???

Injuries are a big part of the game; therefore, depth is vital for a full season. The Faiders haven't had a good set of LBs for several years. They have drafted and signed free-agents, but their LBs are still very questionable. In a 3-4 defense, the LBs are everything. The Orange Crush was a great example of talented LBs. The Faiders don't have much talent at LB. Another factor in the Faider demise is their weak play at safety. They haven't had good safeties for years. The strength of a defense is right down the middle. The Broncos start with a good and improving DL, followed by Wilson at LB, with Lynch and Kennedy at safety. Thats why the Broncos had and have a respected defense. The Faiders are still trying to get worn-out players to perform for one more year. All the older players will be hurt or worn out near the end of the season and the Faiders will "fade" away again.

Comment

Listen you can say Im just making excuses for last year for injuries. There wasn't a team hit harder with injuries than Raiders last year. Raiders lost their three top CBs in 2002 (alot of games) and various players for a game or two but survived.(short term) Your not going to survive when you lose amount of players Raiders did last year for amount of time they were lost. Impossible when you shuffling new players in and out of lineup.(not in one area but all over the football field) Just look at how many QBs Raiders lost R gannon- IR, M Tuiasospo- IR. R Mirer- injured, R Johnson -banged up tha Raiders had go to a TEE Martin at QB.

You combine that fact amount of injuriies, every team getting up to play you(was in superbowl) and its understandle that there record was what it was.

Look who would have thought Patriots could go from being one of the worst teams stopping the run in 2002 to, one of the better team stopping the run in 2003. You add some key players whether its in FA or draft and it has snow ball effect on the rest of lineup. E Barton with two massive Dts (J parrella and S adams) keeping him clean had a probowl type season in 2002 but when raiders forced to start two undersized DTs R coleman and C cooper at DT it has a rippple effect on whole roster.

Last point that I can't stop rehashing is that just because some players didn't look that good in a 4-3 , dosen't mean they won't look alot diffrent in 3-4 defense. Im telling you thats case with alot of raiders young LBs.
                              Sounds like you'r excuses to me. We lost a starting wide receiver, and 2/3rds of our starting linebacking corps. There were numerous other players that didn't even make to the start of the season depleting our depth. Our starting qb was out for several game and our starting runningback.

The Broncos were hit as hard as anyone. What you constantly ignore Homerjoe is that the Raiders are old at key positions. Rice is well past his prime doesn't get separation the way he used and along with Brown, they both showed themselves to be ordinary receivers without Porter. Now that we have Champ the Raiders will still have the same problem.

At DT/NT accept for tub of lard none of your Tackles have spent much time in a 3-4. Face facts Homer, the Raiders are old at key positions, if Davis had any brains at all he would swollow his pride and rebuild, but the game has passed him by and now he is a laughing stock, and has been for years. I'm sure that once the Raiders start losing again you'll fine some other lame excuse so that you don't have to deal with reality.
                              John 11: 25-27

My Adopt-A-Bronco is D.J. Williams

Thanks Snk16

Comment

Working...
                              X