Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biggest Need in the offseason - Defensive Line or Offensive Line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest Need in the offseason - Defensive Line or Offensive Line?

In your opinions, what will be our biggest need/area to improve in in our offseason? The offensive line or the defensive line?

For me, I think it's definitely the offensive line. Although the D-line lacks a game breaker (Dumervil is great but is weak against the run), I think there's a foundation there with Dumervil, Moss, Crowder, and Thomas that will get better over time.

Our offensive line, on the other hand, has been breaking down for the past two seasons now, and with injuries to Nalen and Hamilton, and the lackluster play of Lepsis this season, it's clear we need better depth and/or a new blocking scheme.

Anyway, what are some of your thoughts?
    Offensive Line
    22.22%
    Defensive Line
    77.78%
    sigpic

I think the youngsters on the O-line are coming along, if Hamilton and/or Nalen can come back that will be a huge boost.

The d-line, however, needs some help, especially at DT. 1 good DT could really turn the entire defense around. I do think Moss, Dumervil, Crowder and Thomas are a great foundation, the one missing piece is a big, strong DT that can take up bodies, and disrupt the running game. The rest then would fall into place.

Hopefully Ekuban can return next year too, while not flashy his is consistent against the run.

Comment

i think our o line is good enough given the fact that other then lepsis all are young and kinda trrust together because of injuries, and typically bigger then have been in the past

the d line needs another big strong DT, i believe we are pretty well set at De

so for me Lbr would be a bigger need, not to replace dj, but gold and webster
      then maybe a real quality safety to lear from lynch for a year

and my biggest need is a Dcord that doesnt continue to pound sqaure pegs in round holes but takes what he gots and makes something , gets the best out of them...thats the biggest need
      sigpic
      when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
        I think the youngsters on the O-line are coming along, if Hamilton and/or Nalen can come back that will be a huge boost.

The d-line, however, needs some help, especially at DT. 1 good DT could really turn the entire defense around. I do think Moss, Dumervil, Crowder and Thomas are a great foundation, the one missing piece is a big, strong DT that can take up bodies, and disrupt the running game. The rest then would fall into place.

Hopefully Ekuban can return next year too, while not flashy his is consistent against the run.
        Yeah, I can see that. But are you at all concerned over the fact that we've spent a lot of money on the defensive line over the past couple of seasons, and that our offensive line has become more injury prone, as well as older, in that same amount of time?

If Cutler is the face of the franchise for years to come, you have to give him protection. He's mobile - but he's not Jake Plummer mobile.
        sigpic

Comment

I would say Dline.

We lack push up front, I have high hopes for Thomas and we got some good young speed off the edges but we need another big powerful inside guy to go with Thomas. I think the real problem with the Oline has been the injuries, but I expect we will at least see Nalen back next year, personally I think Hamm is done. Which is tragic because he was a huge anchor. He just hit his head the wrong way and with this much lingering damage another concussion could cost him way too much. I have been impressed with Chris Myers and Kuper, both seem to be getting in the grove of the line and I would expect to see them both starters in training camp next year. I dont know what has happened to Lepsis but his play has been dreadful at times this year, so I would imagine we pickup 1-2 linemen in the bottom of the draft like we do most years.

The Defense is our most pressing concern at the present. I am sure Bates will be looking to pickup some of his type of players in the draft because this isn't the style of D we are currently using.
          “Brevity is the soul of wit” – William Shakespeare

Comment

I voted for the offensive line. I think the biggest problem for the defense is probably the linebackers.

I would like to see the Broncos start drafting offensive linemen in the first two rounds. If that means getting away from zone blocking, so be it. It's far more important to protect Cutler than to continue using the zone blocking scheme. If they can keep the zone blocking and still draft offensive linemen in the first or second round, great. We need linemen that can hold up against big defensive lines on obvious passing downs and in the red zone. It's always better when finesse is an option rather than a necessity. When you have guys who can line up and blow people off the line of scrimmage, you are far better off than hoping you can finesse your way around them every time.
            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
            You Mad Bro?
            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

I would have to go with D-line as well. We need a good run stopper at DT. Our young guys really stepped up this year both on O-line and D-line. We could go with a DT in the first round and then a solid LB in the 2nd. If that happens then we should be okay as long as Shanny doesnt bring in some washed up free agent who peaked a few years ago.. like Rice and Adams...

Comment

Denver has always been known to have a good Defense in the past decades. In the last few years, the Broncos D have won games. This year its completely opposite (the D is loosing games). In the offseason, Shanahan should foucus on the defensive line. Denver's D needs to get better to make a SB run. The offense looks great for next year. There should be not major worries on offense for next year.

Comment

I say a big guy picked up in free agency for o-line, then focus on D-line in draft. There is a need for safety and WR though, and possibly running back with all our injury prone guys. It may be time to find another awesome WR to replace Walker if he can't come back.

I hope he does. Dude is amazing when healthy.

Comment

this is a no brainer our d starts and ends with the d line fix the d-line and the rest of the defense improves,.

if any one up top is listening FIX THE D-LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I think we need one on each side. Defense and DT would probably be the biggest concern but our once invincible O-line is getting old and I don't expect all 3 of our vets to be back. It seems we have a pretty good track record finding jewels in the rough on the O-line in later rounds so I would think a 1st round DT or free agent.

Comment

Well both are the worst they've been in years and that's exactly why we are not very good...if we did nothing but draft Oline and Dline again this year I wouldn't be upset.
                        sigpicthanks Freyaka

Comment

I went with Defensive Line simply because we have done "alright" against some of the better pass rushing teams in the league. Our offense has moved the ball well against anyone and everyone. So although the OL may not be 'great'..they certainly did their part.

The DL however.. did not at all.

Comment

Alright... I'll be the one who goes out on a limb here. I think we should address offensive line first. We are so deep with talent at the DE position with Crowder, Moss, Dumervil and Ekuban... All we need to fix our Dline is one good DT. Put one big, strong quick guy in there to push things around with Thomas and I think we got ourselves a great Dline in the making, seeing is how it is so young.

The offensive line has a lot of question marks. A lot of injuries, a lot of comebacks to be made. We could really use one top notch Olineman coming out of the draft as a strong building block for Jay's future.

We ABSOLUTELY cannot afford to have Jay seriously injured. The best way to keep a QB from injury, and to improve his overall play is with the line. I think our first two picks of the draft should be dedicated to these positions. Either oline / dt, or dt, / oline. If we want a real Denver Dynasty we need a real great line. If we start rebuilding it now, it could pay huge dividends down the long run. Either or these are in my mind the two positions that we need to address most seriously.

However perhaps worse going into next year would be to fail to fix the Dline rather than fail to fix the offensive line. As we stand now I think the Dline is more of an issue.

Comment

Holy smokes, I got on the front page with part of my above post. That is just sooo awesome! to the admins, made my day.
                              “Brevity is the soul of wit” – William Shakespeare

Comment

Working...
                              X