Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN: In young QB market, Cutler hot, Eli Manning not

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...ike&id=3142771

Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger and Dallas' Tony Romo impress with their ability to strike downfield after leaving the pocket.

Cincinnati's Carson Palmer dazzles with his arm strength and his ability to sniff out opposing defenses.
    Houston's Matt Schaub has a better feel for the pocket than most, while Jacksonville's David Garrard brings poise and a high football IQ to the quarterback position.

For all their differences, most of the NFL's promising young quarterbacks share a striking similarity in the eyes of scouts and coaches: They can't touch Denver's Jay Cutler for sheer potential.

Asked to evaluate 11 young starters, experts singled out Cutler as the quarterback most likely to reach the elite status currently shared by Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

"The kid in Denver, to me he is the future of this league," an AFC pro scout said.

"I would jump on that boat," an NFC personnel director said. "He isn't quite there, but you see those flashes of a guy who, once he has the whole playbook in his mind and he's made all the mistakes he needs to make in learning it, man, he's going to be a special player."

ESPN.com granted anonymity to two pro scouts, one personnel director, a defensive coordinator and a defensive backs coach in exchange for unvarnished evaluations.

The experts analyzed starting quarterbacks younger than 30 and with fewer than four seasons of starting experience. San Francisco's Alex Smith and Arizona's Matt Leinart fell from consideration because neither has established himself as a long-term starter.

That left 11 young quarterbacks standing: Roethlisberger, Romo, Palmer, Schaub, Garrard, Cleveland's Derek Anderson, San Diego's Philip Rivers, Tennessee's Vince Young, Washington's Jason Campbell, the New York Giants' Eli Manning and, of course, Cutler.
    STRONG BUY

Jay Cutler, Broncos

CUTLER WATCH
    Bullish: Exceptionally strong arm, good mobility and accuracy, calm under pressure. Showed toughness in returning quickly from painful leg injury.
    Bearish: Like many hard throwers, trusts his arm strength too much at times.

2007 most yards per attempt Player YPA*
    Tom Brady 8.60
    Tony Romo 8.58
    Brett Favre 7.96
    Jay Cutler 7.92
    Peyton Manning 7.90
    minimum 100 attempts

The second-year pro has completed better than 60 percent of his passes through his first 18 regular-season starts, but the numbers don't begin to explain what separates Cutler from the others.

"I love him," the AFC scout said. "He's athletic, poised, smart, accurate -- and there was just something about that kid coming out, the way he was wired."

The Broncos have had problems surrounding Cutler with a consistent supporting cast. Losing veteran center Tom Nalen was a significant setback. Top receiver Javon Walker has hardly played. Top running back Travis Henry has 34 carries over the last seven games.

Cutler's numbers have suffered as a result, but he's still averaging 7.9 yards per attempt, putting him up there with Brett Favre (7.96) and Peyton Manning (7.9).

"He has an unbelievable career ahead of him," the NFC personnel director said. "He is Romo [in terms of confidence] with the physical tools to match. He's fun to watch because he's kind of like the kid who plays quarterback down at the playground. 'Let's just go play.'"

Cutler, 24, has less experience than the other quarterbacks on our list, leaving more for the imagination. But his poise and physical ability are obvious already.

"He has a cannon of an arm, obviously, and when he's in the pocket, he has the arm strength to make all the throws," an NFC pro scout said. "Throw in the fact that he can move around and buy additional time, and he's got a pretty impressive arsenal in terms of ability and arm strength and feet."
    Last edited by megatraun; 12-13-2007, 08:22 AM.

That's a great read. CP to you. It's nice to see him getting some recognition. Hopefully in 10 years he'll be talked about as much as Elway was.

Comment

Jay Cutler="The next best QB of our time."

Comment

Oooooh boy, do I like this:

"The kid in Denver, to me he is the future of this league," an AFC pro scout said.

Comment

I keep feeling like I get to say "told ya" but I feel like, since the Arizona game last year that Cutler was going to go somewhere and be something. And all of this comes from me just thinking he's hot to begin with. Although my first impression was based on looks, when I finally saw him play I knew he was good. And I continue to defend him to the naysayers. So here's to me getting in more "I told you so" to my friends and customers at work.

Comment

I bookmarked the page. My favorite article from espn.com, ever...

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Cutler is the franchise QB we have been looking for! He is the real deal.. everytime he rolls out there is always a chance of his pass going for a TD and that is something that I get excited about.

Comment

Great article. Thanks for sharing.

I got the chills reading this.

Comment

Rings rings and more rings.
                  sigpic:rockon:

EEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEE:rockon:

Comment

Originally posted by BayAreaBronco View Post
                    ...I got the chills reading this.
                    Me too! Cutler is the real deal and only going to get better and better and better.
                    sigpic

Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

Comment

Originally posted by I_Only_Like_Jay View Post
                      I keep feeling like I get to say "told ya" but I feel like, since the Arizona game last year that Cutler was going to go somewhere and be something. And all of this comes from me just thinking he's hot to begin with. Although my first impression was based on looks, when I finally saw him play I knew he was good. And I continue to defend him to the naysayers. So here's to me getting in more "I told you so" to my friends and customers at work.
                      Well, Cutlerfan and myself also went "based on his looks" however, we were looking in a different way than you were, lol!!

I guess we on this board perhaps with the exception of Mountain Man are the original "told ya so" guys. We will continue to defend him also, however the more he plays now there is the less we have to defend!!
                      As the great divide in America continues we are causing harm to our future generations by avoiding what needs to be done.

More people recognize Britney Spears than Dick Cheney.

Comment

Oh, noooo...*cringes!* The "all-knowing" pundits like him...we're doomed!!

This time, they are right, tho...even the broken clock is right 2x a day (unless you rip its hands off...but we won't go there)

T777
                        "When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest." -anonymous

Comment

I've been noticing that Cutler has been getting more and more recognition -- right around the time our O started putting more than 17 up on the board week in and week out. Nice to see it, but I think its going to take another year or two to see if we get a Rivers regression situation, or some continued improvement.

It seems like Cutler's biggest improvements is being willing to let a play die (throwing it out of bounds, taking the sack) whereas in the beginning of the season he'd force something -- and actually learning to take a touch off on the short passes. Early in the year those short ones seemed to be a bit to high or to the side or behind; balls that came out quickly in the route, and got to the reciever even faster. Perhaps the receivers just adjusted their routes, but seems like theres a bit more touch there as well.

He still has his issues, and areas he could improve but since hes been steadily improving in areas he needed to previously, it seems like a good bet he'll continue to learn.

So, nice to see some recognition. Partially might be to drum up interest for tonight's game: "buying extra cable services is worth it to see one of the leagues top young stars" etc. But for a team that the media constantly neglects with the excuse "well you have few household names" its great to get a little love here and there.
                          Always a Broncos fan.

Comment

So anyone who thinks Shanahan is leaving any time soon is a fool. No way hes gonna leave with the potential of Cutler, and we all know Bowlen will never fire him.

Comment

Originally posted by dman444 View Post
                              So anyone who thinks Shanahan is leaving any time soon is a fool. No way hes gonna leave with the potential of Cutler, and we all know Bowlen will never fire him.
                              There's always someone that tries to turn a thread into one about Shanahan...
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X