Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Bronco players will not return next season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems to me that Paymah got more playing action this year than Foxworth. If Foxworth truely believes he would be a starting corner on any other team, then I would shop him. I'd shop him for a draft pick this year that the Broncos could really use. We have other positions to tend to next year, like in the trenches.

Comment

With the Foxworth thing, I think you all need to actually look at the context of those quotes before jumping all over him. It wasn't "our team sucks we need better people". It was more like he was asked if better players would help the team and he basically responded like "Of course more talent would help. And more experience would help as well. "
      He wasn't throwing the team under the bus, just answering a question. But look at every other quote and interview he's ever given and he's always saying "we're not there yet, but we will be."

Foxworth is a great CB, and he's right, he could probably start for 30 teams in this league. We just happen to be one that he can't start for. I wish he was still the nickel instead of Paymah, but that stretch when Lynch and Abdullah where both hurt, he had to play safety so Paymah acquired the nickel spot.

That having been said, I think it is a definite possibility we see Foxworth get traded this year. I think Ferguson is done in Denver and won't be back next year. I'm pretty sure Lynch will still be around for a year and Javon will also be back. Not sure what's going to happen with Henry.
      I wouldn't be surprised to see Gold gone, especially with the way Winborn filled in yesterday. Pears will probably be gone, whether because Hamilton comes back or if we find another lineman FA.

I don't think we'll see nearly the turnover we saw last year.

Comment

Am I the only one watching Foxworth get schooled by TEs?

I'm not talking about manhandled. I'm talking about getting run by. I can see it with true safeties like Ferguson. Speed isn't his game. But Foxworth hasn't stopped a completion to a TE all year and he's allegedly a corner! Did he get injured early in the year and we just didn't see it? I like the guy, but he seriously needs to go do an offseason of the Jerry Rice speed drills.

Someone mentioned the DTs, well there's only three left: McKinley, Thomas and Harris. We have a bucketload of DEs, that's where we'll cut IF we can find any useful DTs.

My guess is the following guys won't be on the team next September: [bubble players have a B after their name position

57 Beck, Jordan LB b
        30 Bell, Mike RB b- could stay if we trade Henry.
        77 Birdine, Larry DE
        90 Carrington, Paul DE
        60 Engelberger, John b
        25 Ferguson, Nick S
        22 Foxworth, Domonique [trade??]
        53 Green, Louis LB b
        4 Hackney, Darrell b
        20 Henry, Travis RB [trade? if we find a taker]
        19 Jacobs, Taylor WR b
        47 Lynch, John S retires
        85 Mustard, Chad TE
        10 Sauerbrun, Todd first cut?
        26 Smith, Paul RB b-how many special teams players can we afford?
        72 Snell, Isaac G
        31 Underwood, Marviel S
        84 Walker, Javon WR won't take pay cut
        82 Alexander, Stephen TE retires
        81 Jackson, Nate TE
        66 Nalen, Tom C retires
        13 Brewster, Carlton WR
        87 Upshaw, Chad TE b-
        76 Washburn, Cliff T b
        80 Smith, Rod WR retires
        Last edited by DiehardinAlaska; 12-14-2007, 01:53 PM.
        "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco_Hyde View Post
          I think it is a definite possibility we see Foxworth get traded this year. I think Ferguson is done in Denver and won't be back next year. I'm pretty sure Lynch will still be around for a year and Javon will also be back. Not sure what's going to happen with Henry.
          I wouldn't be surprised to see Gold gone, especially with the way Winborn filled in yesterday. Pears will probably be gone, whether because Hamilton comes back or if we find another lineman FA.

I don't think we'll see nearly the turnover we saw last year.
          Hamilton has no bearing on whether Pears will be back or not. Hamilton is the LG and Pears is the ROT. Neither Kuper nor Meyers were the ROT prior to Nalen getting hurt so it's not like one of them will be moving back there when Hamilton returns, if he returns. Ryan Harris could be the reason Pears doesn't come back next year or is demoted to a back up role. Although Harris is most likely the heir apparent to Lepsis on the left side, they could put him in on the right side next year, assuming Lepsis is still there on the left.

I think people might be putting more value on Foxworth than he really has. If he was really as good as people make him out to be, why did the Broncos trade for Bly? Despite what some people were saying, the moment the trade for Bly was announced was the very same moment we knew that Bly was going to be the starting cornerback opposite of Champ Bailey. The same as we knew Travis Henry was going to be the starting running back despite what all the Mike Bell lovers were saying. The truth is, if the Broncos had faith in Foxworth as a starter, they wouldn't have traded for Dre Bly. They would have drafted a cornerback to develop behind him instead. He's a back up cornerback and they can get along with or without him. If they trade him, they will probably get a 4th or 5th round pick in return. I believe he is a RFA this offseason, maybe they can turn that into a 3rd round pick.

Ferguson and Lynch should both go. The Broncos should draft a safety in either the 2nd or 3rd round. If there is a young veteran available in FA, they should try to sign him.

Barring continued complications from their injuries, both Walker and Henry should return next year. A receiver like Walker is what the team needs to pair with Marshall. When healthy, Henry is the work horse that Shanahan wants. Just like I wasn't sold on Bell last year, I'm not sold on Young this year. Henry needs to stick around until Young proves he can be the work horse the team needs.

Ian Gold will probably be gone. I believe the coaches indicated last year that they weren't happy with his play and he doesn't seem to be impressing anybody much this year either. He was probably saved from being cut this season by Al Wilson's injury. The contract extension for Winborn could be the writing on the wall for Gold. Either that or Winborn is such a great special teams player that the Broncos didn't want to wait to give other teams a chance to get him in the offseason.

Personally, I would like to see the offensive line revamped into a big boys only club. I'm all for dumping the zone blocking scheme if it means getting players that can protect Jay Cutler in obvious passing situations. I would like to see the Broncos start drafting more offensive linemen in the first and second rounds.
          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
          You Mad Bro?
          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Foxworth is too good to remain third on the roster and as a nickleback, he will be gone because Bly and Bailey are long-termed in contract and like him are both fan favorites. Paymah will be re-signed to compete at nickle and to back up Bly and Bailey. Ferguson is out and Abdullah will be re-signed to remain at his spot, and I also think Lynch will retire, it will make for a rough off-season because Denver will likely go Defensive Tackle in round one of the draft in Frank Okam and Phillips, the only real true first round safety will be long gone.

Thomas will be returning at defensive tackle, so will McKinnley and Peterson, but Denver needs another true-blue tackle and Haynesworth is way out of our fiscal abilities, likely Denver will take Okam from Texas to compete with the other young tackles. Defensive ends is more simple, Ekuban will likely be re-signed, Engleberger is a good backup and will likely be cut with Dumervil, Moss, Crowder all returning.

Ian Gold is done, he has done little in the past two seasons and young guys have been getting better, I personally think Denver will make a run in free agency after Demarrio Williams from Atlanta who knows the Bates system well from his time on the roster. I also see Denver drafting one or two in later rounds for bodies and special teams.

The offensive line could be in real need, it is obvious we are not the caliber we were four or even three years ago. Nalen I think is done and will retire, Hamilton will likely move to center, I see Denver re-signing Montrae Holland to compete with Myers who will be re-signed as a utility and backup to all three middle spots, also I see Denver drafting a second day guard to throw in the mix.

Denver will likely hit free agency in the fullback department. Sapp will not return, he really is nothing more then a receiving fullback. Maybe Lorenzo Neal if he is willing, or another powerful blocker like Tony Richardson from Minnesota. Yong will return to compete for the main spot, but I think unless Henry takes a substantial cut in pay that he will return. I see Denver bringing in a load of young backs to compete, even one from the draft.

Tight Ends are set, even if Jackson does not return or Alexander, we may add a body but they will be mainly special teams. Marshall and Stokely will be the starters next year, I think Javon is toast unless he adjusts his attitude and his fiscal restraint on the team. I would love to see him return and be another weapon for Cutler, but not sure he or the team are willing at this point. Denver could draft a burner to throw in the mix, one who can spread the field for Stokely and Marshall.

All in all I think Denver's core group will remain solid, it will be the needed areas which could hinder us.

Comment

The offensive line could be in real need, it is obvious we are not the caliber we were four or even three years ago. Nalen I think is done and will retire, Hamilton will likely move to center, I see Denver re-signing Montrae Holland to compete with Myers who will be re-signed as a utility and backup to all three middle spots, also I see Denver drafting a second day guard to throw in the mix.
              Holland was locked up for 3 or 4 years during this past offseason, they don't have to resign him in 2008. I don't see the need to move Hamilton to center unless they're unhappy with Myers at center. Don't forget, it was Myers that was the LG when Hamilton went down. He moved to center when Nalen got hurt. Kuper is likely the odd man out when Hamilton returns.
              My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
              You Mad Bro?
              Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
                "he's a cocky SOB...."

That's not stating an opinion. That's stating a 'fact'.

Foxworth is the least cockiest player on the team, IMHO, and he does whatever is necessary for the team. He has no ego whatsoever in front of the team, and he's the epitome of what a team player is. Denver needs Foxworth in Denver.
                I think negative rep was uncalled for there. Sorry.

My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
                  "he's a cocky SOB...."

That's not stating an opinion. That's stating a 'fact'.

Foxworth is the least cockiest player on the team, IMHO, and he does whatever is necessary for the team. He has no ego whatsoever in front of the team, and he's the epitome of what a team player is. Denver needs Foxworth in Denver.
                  That's not a fact... That's merely my opinion on how he runs himself. Denver doesn't need him, he needs us.

Comment

30 Bell, Mike RB - Never gets out of the doghouse
                    77 Birdine, Larry DE - Hasn't done much
                    60 Engelberger, John - Ekuban returning sends him packin
                    25 Ferguson, Nick S - Hamza is just plain better
                    22 Foxworth, Domonique - As much as I like him i see us trading him
                    53 Green, Louis LB - Never did much
                    4 Hackney, Darrell - Hopefully stays as i like him better than Ramsey
                    47 Lynch, John S -Toss Up Here he may retire but probably not
                    85 Mustard, Chad TE - Jackson and Alexander force us to Cut the Mustard Again
                    72 Snell, Isaac G - Hasn't done much but take up a spot
                    31 Underwood, Marviel S - Who is this?
                    66 Nalen, Tom C I see Nalan hangin it up and he retires
                    13 Brewster, Carlton WR
                    87 Upshaw, Chad TE
                    76 Washburn, Cliff T
                    80 Smith, Rod WR I think rod gives it one more shot but retires halfway through
                    sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

i think we should get rid of sauebraun . i cant spell his name right, and get a kicker that can kick the ball into the endzone every time we kickoff. our special teams suck big time.
                      sigpicSAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
                        Holland was locked up for 3 or 4 years during this past offseason, they don't have to resign him in 2008. I don't see the need to move Hamilton to center unless they're unhappy with Myers at center. Don't forget, it was Myers that was the LG when Hamilton went down. He moved to center when Nalen got hurt. Kuper is likely the odd man out when Hamilton returns.
                        I thought Holland was, but unfortunatley I could not find the information and he is on all the free agent listings. So I was unsure, but then again some have Bly still as a free agent after this year!

Myers is a restricted free agent as well. And as for Hamilton, if he is not at the center position will again be at left guard. Myers may take over at right, but we do not know...I still think our line situation is very poor even before the injuries we were having some problems and it only got worse. Myers and Holland may take over at guard but Hamilton is the backup center and will likely move to the spot if vacated. Which means both guard spots could be up for grabs and I still think bringing in more bodies to compete is a better answer. If Myers, Kuper or Holland deserve the job, then they will win it...but right now I would not guarantee too many of them jobs with the poor play this season. Even Lepsis has slipt up a few times this year, but we are not the caliber we once were -- the Texan's line looked more like the 98' Bronco line compared to us and they were just as beat up!

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco_Rob View Post
                          I see John Lynch retiring after this season, Nick Ferguson is on the outside looking in, Champ Bailey will be going into the 5th year of a 6 year deal and has already stated he'd like a new contract after this season. Alot of people are saying Javon Walker and Travis Henry will be cut but I really don't see us cutting them since we'd lose quite a bit of cap space that we can't afford to lose anyway. Javon has already stated that he won't restucture his contract but Henry may since other teams are unlikely to want him. I think Domonique Foxworth is in the last year of his deal as well as Karl Paymah. There's no way we can afford to keep everyone so what gives?
                          Yes, i agree that this might be John Lynch's last year before he retires. Other old players like Tom Nalen, Jason Elam, and Rod Smith are all likely to retire after this season. I would not be suprised if Mike Shanahan trades a big time player to move up in the Draft, or to trade somthing for a good defensive player in the NFL. That big time player that might be traded is Javon Walker, Travis Henry, or Nick Ferguson. I am expecting Shanahan to make alot of changes on Defense in the offseason.

Comment

While I was driving back from my firewood-fetching adventure in the foothills today I was listening to KOA. They interviewed Lynch. He said, and I'm trying to quote correctly here:

"I mean, I love the guys on the team, and I love to play, but we need to get consistent soon or..." And then he was cut off by another question.

Or what? Is he asking for a trade? It sure sounded like it to me.

The King, the Captain, and the Scheff...LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                              Bly and Champ have been playing fine. If our run defense wasn't so friggin pathetic, then our corner play would just be that much better. As it is now, our corners have that slight extra hesitation to help stop the run. When every team in the league can run down your throat, I'm sure you have a tendency to give that 1/2 second hesitation you wouldn't normally give simply so you can help on run support.
                              I don't think it goes so much to hesitation as it does to bringing Lynch up all the time for the 8th man in the box. With no help over the top it puts alot of pressure on the CB's and they can't stop them on every play. But that again goes to the front 4 not being able to do much in the way of stopping the run. They can't eat up blocks so the linebackers can hit the edges like they should. Not having Al in the middle anymore I think has hurt this D more than anything. We need a good run stuffing DT this offseason that can also generate a good upfield push on the pass rush (i.e. Albert Haynesworth). The defensive line has shown some improvement but it is still to spotty.

As for the offense my biggest concern is the future of Rod Smith. I'm scared to death he may retire. If he doesn't I think that Javon could become expendable. If Selvin Young stays healthy and continues this great improvement Travis Henry becomes expendable IMO.

Comment

The Broncos already extended Montrae Holland......

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_6537712?source=rss

Comment

Working...
                                X