Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Truth: Broncos Future; Key Players; Offseason Needs

BRONCOS FUTURE
    Ok Ok. It seems to me like a lot of people are venting right now and concerned about our future and just losing their minds. Get a grip people. What I will say to them is first, wait until the season is over, and second, think positive. So what it appears that we are not going to make the playoffs and we had a terrible season. There are a lot of young guys on this team that an organization can build around (I dont need to name names). Perception is reality and on paper our team is not bad at all and 100% real contenders. Its about making it click and putting it together. Bottom line, the Broncos will be just fine if they build around the young guys they have and make some coaching changes.

JAVON WALKER'S FUTURE
    Personally I love Javon and he has been through a hell of a lot with the Broncos. The word is out he is supposed to have microfracture surgery. As a Bronco this guy is done if he does not agree to take a pay cut (which he has already refused to do). Can someone please name one player (KII injury was different) who had an ACL repair, 2 scopes, and microfracture surgery and came back to have a decent career. This injury is a chronic problem because of the trama. The leg is degenerate.

CHAMP BAILEY
    I hear people stirring up the Champ Bailey smack talk. Remember folks, this guy is under contract right now. Next year will be his 5th of 6 years in the contract. Yes he does want to restructure the deal, but the Broncos don’t have to do jack. Seriously is he going to hold out next year cause he is making what like 9 mil? Be real. He will be around and look for them to get a deal done about ¾ way down the season next year if they decide to do so. On the flipside, if he wants to cry we will trade him and get immense value. We will trade him before give him Nate Clements $. I am not worried here.

DRE BLY/FOXWORTH/KARL
    I don’t know about Bly. I can see him and Fox battling next year for a spot or I can see us trying to dump Bly. What I do know is that Foxworth will have a deal in place with the Broncos, he will be a long time Bronco. Foxworth is a Shanny type of guy. He is a class citizen and does great in community work. Whether it should or should not be a factor, it will play a part on him signing a deal. This organization LOVES guys like this, SQUEAKY CLEAN. Besides, Fox stepped up well when Champ was injured for the Pit game and he also did a good job throughout the season playing utility. We will get Fox for a great price and his deal will have some big incentives in it. I think Karl is a wildcard here.

RUNNING BACK SITUATION
    Henry has not met any expectations, but there was some drama and he was injured. Selvin stock flew sky high. With this being said Denver is always great at breeding running backs and getting great value for them. Look for Henry to stay for the long haul and the Broncos to get some trade value out of Selvin sometime in the future. When Henry was healthy he was leading the league in rushing through the first 4 games. Denver will give him a chance next year to be great if healthy and he stays off them tweeds.

WHAT THE BRONCOS NEED
    I see people saying we need a DT. Although I do agree, I think we need to get rid of Bates first. He has been the root of the defensive problems. Get a new defensive coach who knows different schemes and can bring in some guys up front that could pressure the QB better. You saw Bates come in and shake things up real quick. We need someone to do that again, but actually know what they are doing. I am against taking a DT early in the draft. Take a safety early! JOHN LYNCH/NICK FERGUSON wont be back. And if they do come back they will be ineffective. Hamza will be key next year for the Broncos. We need to draft a good, big hard hitting safety 1st round that will give us a big boost and help with the run sometimes. Also assuming Javon and Rod will be gone I say grab a quick WR who can run back punts for us. Were we last in average punt return yards this season? Last in the league when it counted and that’s for sure. We need a game breaker to return the punts and be a wideout as well. Someone who could grow with Cuter (like Marshall and Sheffler). If they don’t go this route then sign a FA WR. I don’t like how Glen Martinez tip toes into those holes. Our d-line is basically our entire draft last year so look for Shanny to give them opportunities or its just another draft wasted. But Ill say this, at the end of the day with some good off season moves….we will be in the playoffs next year for sure!!!!

KraZy Horse out

One thing about Dre Bly, he has unbelievable hands, maybe better than Champ. The INT's he's made, the one vs oakland in the first game, the steeler int(i think it was steelers), and the one against the texans were really good catches. Ironically enough, none of them came on gambling, he was just in good position. He needs to work more on not allowing yards after catch start tackling around the ankles like Champ does.
    Last edited by Return of Lava; 12-15-2007, 01:24 PM.
    dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

nice analysis.

First let me start off with Bates. Bates does know what he is doing, he just does not have the right players here to do what his scheme requires. Now will he adjust his scheme next year and mix it with what he has now, or maybe something completely different? That remains to be seen. What we do know, is that he is staying, and that they are going after dline help. They shook up the whole dline in the offseason, they did it during the season, and they will do it once again until they get what they want. As i have already pointed out to you, they are just a few pieces away.

As far as drafting a safety, they will probably sign one in FA and draft one. But it will not be a 1st rd player. Now you will have to ask dream,nick,psychochicken, and mug about prospects, but for now none of the saftey prospects this year are anything to get excited about. Or in other words, a 1st rd saftey this year is more along the lines of a 2nd or 3rd from last years draft. Supposedly , there are only 1 or 2 top tier safteis in this draft.

I hope that we do exactley as you say with foxworth. However, i do not think he will beat out dre for opposite champ, and i whole heartedly disagree that we will trade/cut bly. He is a great cb for us, and has played great all things considered.

Lastly,selvin young and our rb coprs. It sooo hard to predict what shanny will do back there, but if there is one thing we know about shanny is that you can never have enough runningbacks. Where as i dont think we will be trading selvin in the near future, i wouldnt put it past him either. We know for sure that shanny will definitely keep atleast 2 of the three rbs we have now. Just which ones. I hope we keep all three as i am a bigger fan of hall than i am selvin. But at this point we really dont know..
      So far:
      FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
      1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Comment

I couldn't disagree any more about Bates, and I think Young will be in Denver for a while, but overall it's a pretty good evaluation.

As far as the draft goes, the only S that should get any look from Denver early is Phillips, and it would be absurd to reach for a 3rd round value guy in the first round just because we need S.

Comment

Originally posted by Krazy Horse View Post
          BRONCOS FUTURE
          Ok Ok. It seems to me like a lot of people are venting right now and concerned about our future and just losing their minds. Get a grip people. What I will say to them is first, wait until the season is over, and second, think positive. So what it appears that we are not going to make the playoffs and we had a terrible season. There are a lot of young guys on this team that an organization can build around (I dont need to name names). Perception is reality and on paper our team is not bad at all and 100% real contenders. Its about making it click and putting it together. Bottom line, the Broncos will be just fine if they build around the young guys they have and make some coaching changes.

JAVON WALKER'S FUTURE
          Personally I love Javon and he has been through a hell of a lot with the Broncos. The word is out he is supposed to have microfracture surgery. As a Bronco this guy is done if he does not agree to take a pay cut (which he has already refused to do). Can someone please name one player (KII injury was different) who had an ACL repair, 2 scopes, and microfracture surgery and came back to have a decent career. This injury is a chronic problem because of the trama. The leg is degenerate.

CHAMP BAILEY
          I hear people stirring up the Champ Bailey smack talk. Remember folks, this guy is under contract right now. Next year will be his 5th of 6 years in the contract. Yes he does want to restructure the deal, but the Broncos don’t have to do jack. Seriously is he going to hold out next year cause he is making what like 9 mil? Be real. He will be around and look for them to get a deal done about ¾ way down the season next year if they decide to do so. On the flipside, if he wants to cry we will trade him and get immense value. We will trade him before give him Nate Clements $. I am not worried here.

DRE BLY/FOXWORTH/KARL
          I don’t know about Bly. I can see him and Fox battling next year for a spot or I can see us trying to dump Bly. What I do know is that Foxworth will have a deal in place with the Broncos, he will be a long time Bronco. Foxworth is a Shanny type of guy. He is a class citizen and does great in community work. Whether it should or should not be a factor, it will play a part on him signing a deal. This organization LOVES guys like this, SQUEAKY CLEAN. Besides, Fox stepped up well when Champ was injured for the Pit game and he also did a good job throughout the season playing utility. We will get Fox for a great price and his deal will have some big incentives in it. I think Karl is a wildcard here.

RUNNING BACK SITUATION
          Henry has not met any expectations, but there was some drama and he was injured. Selvin stock flew sky high. With this being said Denver is always great at breeding running backs and getting great value for them. Look for Henry to stay for the long haul and the Broncos to get some trade value out of Selvin sometime in the future. When Henry was healthy he was leading the league in rushing through the first 4 games. Denver will give him a chance next year to be great if healthy and he stays off them tweeds.

WHAT THE BRONCOS NEED
          I see people saying we need a DT. Although I do agree, I think we need to get rid of Bates first. He has been the root of the defensive problems. Get a new defensive coach who knows different schemes and can bring in some guys up front that could pressure the QB better. You saw Bates come in and shake things up real quick. We need someone to do that again, but actually know what they are doing. I am against taking a DT early in the draft. Take a safety early! JOHN LYNCH/NICK FERGUSON wont be back. And if they do come back they will be ineffective. Hamza will be key next year for the Broncos. We need to draft a good, big hard hitting safety 1st round that will give us a big boost and help with the run sometimes. Also assuming Javon and Rod will be gone I say grab a quick WR who can run back punts for us. Were we last in average punt return yards this season? Last in the league when it counted and that’s for sure. We need a game breaker to return the punts and be a wideout as well. Someone who could grow with Cuter (like Marshall and Sheffler). If they don’t go this route then sign a FA WR. I don’t like how Glen Martinez tip toes into those holes. Our d-line is basically our entire draft last year so look for Shanny to give them opportunities or its just another draft wasted. But Ill say this, at the end of the day with some good off season moves….we will be in the playoffs next year for sure!!!!

KraZy Horse out

:clap: Very nice a CP for you

Comment

Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
            nice analysis.

First let me start off with Bates. Bates does know what he is doing, he just does not have the right players here to do what his scheme requires. Now will he adjust his scheme next year and mix it with what he has now, or maybe something completely different? That remains to be seen. What we do know, is that he is staying, and that they are going after dline help. They shook up the whole dline in the offseason, they did it during the season, and they will do it once again until they get what they want. As i have already pointed out to you, they are just a few pieces away.

As far as drafting a safety, they will probably sign one in FA and draft one. But it will not be a 1st rd player. Now you will have to ask dream,nick,psychochicken, and mug about prospects, but for now none of the saftey prospects this year are anything to get excited about. Or in other words, a 1st rd saftey this year is more along the lines of a 2nd or 3rd from last years draft. Supposedly , there are only 1 or 2 top tier safteis in this draft.

I hope that we do exactley as you say with foxworth. However, i do not think he will beat out dre for opposite champ, and i whole heartedly disagree that we will trade/cut bly. He is a great cb for us, and has played great all things considered.

Lastly,selvin young and our rb coprs. It sooo hard to predict what shanny will do back there, but if there is one thing we know about shanny is that you can never have enough runningbacks. Where as i dont think we will be trading selvin in the near future, i wouldnt put it past him either. We know for sure that shanny will definitely keep atleast 2 of the three rbs we have now. Just which ones. I hope we keep all three as i am a bigger fan of hall than i am selvin. But at this point we really dont know..
            Agree with the safety comment...as I am not a college football guy at all and with that being said i dont know how deep the draft is with regard to safties or what is realistic. I was just talking needs. I saw LaRon Landry go early last year and loved what I saw out of that guy before the draft. With that being said I would love to have a dude like that get drafted to the broncos...if its possible i dont know. I dont follow college football.

The Bates thing is just absurd. Didnt he get the players he needed to fit his scheme? He did some major shake-ups early and let some good people go to fit his system. I thought the he did a horrible job this year and would hate to see him back. The defensive woes start with Bates and will end when he leaves...hopefully sooner than later.

As far as Bly and Fox are concerned. Keeping both will cause some drama. Fox believes he can play alongside champ right now, and he might not even considering signing if he is just going to stay at bench/utility. Bly looked pretty bad a couple times this year. However, I love them both and I hope they both stay.

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
              I couldn't disagree any more about Bates, and I think Young will be in Denver for a while, but overall it's a pretty good evaluation.

As far as the draft goes, the only S that should get any look from Denver early is Phillips, and it would be absurd to reach for a 3rd round value guy in the first round just because we need S.
              What would be wrong with Phillips????????????????? Grab him. As far as other safties go, I dont know, but I like Phillips. That guy is a beast.

Comment

Agree with the safety comment...as I am not a college football guy at all and with that being said i dont know how deep the draft is with regard to safties or what is realistic. I was just talking needs. I saw LaRon Landry go early last year and loved what I saw out of that guy before the draft. With that being said I would love to have a dude like that get drafted to the broncos...if its possible i dont know. I dont follow college football.

The Bates thing is just absurd. Didnt he get the players he needed to fit his scheme? He did some major shake-ups early and let some good people go to fit his system. I thought the he did a horrible job this year and would hate to see him back. The defensive woes start with Bates and will end when he leaves...hopefully sooner than later.

As far as Bly and Fox are concerned. Keeping both will cause some drama. Fox believes he can play alongside champ right now, and he might not even considering signing if he is just going to stay at bench/utility. Bly looked pretty bad a couple times this year. However, I love them both and I hope they both stay.
                How do you know Bates was the one who got rid of jimmy kennedy and Gerard Warren? I have a hard time believing he wanted amon gordon starting over the rest of the guys.

Anyway, as far as Bly and Foxy, we gotta keep Bly, his play has been up and down, but the ups have been extrordinary imo. The downs have me questioning whether its him, or just the way things have been going this year, because Champ unusually has had a lot of downs as well. I like Foxy, but I dont think he is a difference maker like Bly is
                dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

In part we should be thanking bates. He is the one who had MAJOR say in the drafting of moss,thomas,crowder. So he is responsible for bringing those gusy in, but other guys they brought in to fit his system. Well they were, but they werent what he wanted.

He wanted good, big strong guys. SO they brought in kennedy. That man is big yes, but he sucks. Its like being anorexic and ordering an extra large meal only to find out that it is fat free, and sugar free, and is all veggin'. IT's what you want, a big meal, but its not really want you want because it doesnt do what you want it to do.

We saw the same thing with adams. I cant think of any other guys we brought in for dline besides those two.. But we sure got rid of a bunch that we had. gordon,lang,the other cleveland guy, rice and several others.

I see our defense as kind of like the old saying, cut the head of the snake, you kill the beast. Well, our defense sucks because we cant stop the run. Everything else follows the trickle down effect. OUr LBs can play as well, the corners cant just rely on stopping their man, they constantly have to be looking up to stop the run which the dline doesnt do, which the lbs dont do, so they have to try. Thus when teams pass, our saftey is up at the line, and the corners are essentailly the last run defense, that they are looking more for the run, then 100% on their man, and we get burned.

Once we can plug the run with a couple dt, our lbs are free to mop up any thing that gets through, our corners can do what they do best. Lock down the wr. And then we will have a saftey or two patrolling the waters also just incase. This will also increase our pass rush, as evident by the other things i just stated.

So you see, really bates hasnt done that bad of a job, we had to learn a whole new scheme, some guys had to learn whole new positions all whilst not having ideal pieces to play with...

If we still suck after a good draft and decent fa (please god.) then you are right, off with his head, and bring in someone who can get er done.
                  So far:

Comment

Originally posted by underrated29 View Post
                    In part we should be thanking bates. He is the one who had MAJOR say in the drafting of moss,thomas,crowder. So he is responsible for bringing those gusy in, but other guys they brought in to fit his system. Well they were, but they werent what he wanted.

He wanted good, big strong guys. SO they brought in kennedy. That man is big yes, but he sucks. Its like being anorexic and ordering an extra large meal only to find out that it is fat free, and sugar free, and is all veggin'. IT's what you want, a big meal, but its not really want you want because it doesnt do what you want it to do.

We saw the same thing with adams. I cant think of any other guys we brought in for dline besides those two.. But we sure got rid of a bunch that we had. gordon,lang,the other cleveland guy, rice and several others.

I see our defense as kind of like the old saying, cut the head of the snake, you kill the beast. Well, our defense sucks because we cant stop the run. Everything else follows the trickle down effect. OUr LBs can play as well, the corners cant just rely on stopping their man, they constantly have to be looking up to stop the run which the dline doesnt do, which the lbs dont do, so they have to try. Thus when teams pass, our saftey is up at the line, and the corners are essentailly the last run defense, that they are looking more for the run, then 100% on their man, and we get burned.

Once we can plug the run with a couple dt, our lbs are free to mop up any thing that gets through, our corners can do what they do best. Lock down the wr. And then we will have a saftey or two patrolling the waters also just incase. This will also increase our pass rush, as evident by the other things i just stated.

So you see, really bates hasnt done that bad of a job, we had to learn a whole new scheme, some guys had to learn whole new positions all whilst not having ideal pieces to play with...

If we still suck after a good draft and decent fa (please god.) then you are right, off with his head, and bring in someone who can get er done.
                    I like your style, but not buying it. Not buying it at all. The only thing I will thank Bates for is for us not making the playoffs this season. It is no coincidence that we went from breaking all kinds of defensive records last year to not being able to stop the run this year and not making the playoffs. What was that crazy record last year???? We only allowed like 1 touchdown in the first 5 games or something. Now welcome the Bates era…the losing record era. The cant stop the run era, the ranked last in the NFL defense era

I just don’t get it. You are saying that Bates was a big part of the defensive draft last year with moss, crowder, and Thomas. But those guys haven’t proven themselves; actually far from it. With that being said, hopefully Moss can come back healthy. You are also saying that those other guys they brought in “that he wasn’t responsible for.” Ill tell you what…its more like the other way around. I agree with the draft situation…a little. I’m sure Bates wanted all those guys too, but Shanny always has a lot of pull in the draft, the most pull out of any head coach. Shanny got Moss, Crowder, and Thomas and im sure Bates had something to do with it, but not a lot. But Bates asked specifically for the other guys to fit his dumb schemes. Shanny didn’t dump those Biggest Loser rejects on Bates. No No No. Kennedy, Adams, and the other idiots was all Bates; not Shanny. In direct contrast, the draft was mostly Shanny and not Bates. Shanny runs the show and for the most part drafts the guys he likes. You might forget, Shanny is concrete in Denver other coaches will come and go. There is no way in hell that Shanny will let some first year coach come in and dictate the entire defensive draft. No way.

With all this junk being said. Who really cares anyways? Only one thing is evident. Our defense sucked this year and we were pretty good last year. The D-coordinator is responsible for how the defense performs. Credit Bates coming in and shaking things up with different schemes and new players and doing a terrible job. On a scale of 1 to 10 ill give him a 3. He is done.

Comment

So Shanny chooses all the draft choices but Bates was the one that chose the FA's?? Seems to me like you're changing your story a fair amount to fit how you see it. I would say its fair to assume Bates had an equal proportion of say in the draft choices and the free agent's. Would you agree?

I'm not critising most of your post, its just that little bit that stood out. On the whole, I agree that Bates has had a pretty shocking year this year, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, and give him one more shot next year. Hopefully we get get a stud DT in the draft to go alongside Thomas and a free agent for depth, and I think this would help the defense enormously.

Comment

no, i was saying bates was very responsible for bringing in kennedy and adams, but like i said, or tried too atleast, they werent they players he/we thought they would be in our/his new system.

Last year we started out GREAT!!!! but coyers main problem is lack of adjusting during the game. Once teams figured out what we would do they changed, and he would not change with it. WHich is why the last like 6 games our defense sucked balls. We then decided since coyer wouldnt adjust that we need someone who will adjust. Now we have that, but we lack the strength to hold people down from the begining...
                        So far:

Comment

All im saying is that the Broncos will win a Super Bowl by 2012.

Comment

Well since we are analyzing what we need, I think it is painfully obvious to everyone here -- DT and S.

But I would also like throw in my 2 cents.

Players that I believe are leaving due to retirement - Rod Smith, John Lynch, Tom Nalen, and Ben Hamilton(hate that)

Players that I believe will be possibly cut - Javon Walker, Travis Henry, Ian Gold

I think Javon is gone, due only to his leg injury. When he was healthy, he was awesome. But he has missed almost the entire season, and he hasn't played well since he's came back. So, if he is unwilling to reconstructure his contract, they'll let him go. But he should look at that seriously, because I doubt if anyone is going to give him the money he thinks he deserves based off 1 good season in 3, with the other 2 being injury-riddled.

I also think, due mostly to character issues, but also injury issues, that they will ask Henry to reconstruct his contract. He has a little more opportunity to make more money elsewhere compared to Javon, in my opinion. But, he'd still be the starter(more than likely) here, with the opportunity to make more if he reconstructs with incentives. If he leaves, I believe Young may shine, and even if he stays, Selvin just may take over. I like what I see out of him, and if he is able to add weight and strength this offseason, as is his goal, then he could be the best back we've had since Clinton Portis.

Ian Gold, would be a cost cutting move as well. Plus the fact that he has injured his leg again, I wouldn't be surprised to see them do this. There seems to be alot of flak on here over his missed tackles, and there has been others arguing the other way. I don't know. To be honest, I have been too busy in my life to actually catch alot of games this year, and I no longer have NFL Sunday Ticket. But, if his game has slipped, we all know Shannahan won't hesitate to let him go. May anyways if Winborn performs well these last two games.

Either way, I would like to see the Broncos go after another OLB. Will Briggs be avaliable? That would help, in my opinion.

One thing I would definitely like to see improvement in this offseason, is with Scheffler. I don't know how much more weight Scheffler can add, but he MUST improve his blocking. It was painfully obvious after Graham went out in the Houston game that Scheffler is still a liability in the run game. They may go after another big TE to compliment Graham if Scheffler doesn't make marked improvement. He better do it to, because the chemistry between him and Cutler right now is great, but I don't think Shannahan will continue to keep TEs that won't hold up their end of the deal blocking.

Positions that I anticipate that we will need to fill for next year.

DT - Preferrably through FA so that we don't have to wait for a rookie DT to develop. Don't mind going after a rookie as well, would just like to see a DT of starter caliber come in through FA first.
                            S - Would love to see improvement here. Is there anything coming avaliable in FA that would compliment Abdullah? Would love to see us grab a S in the 1st round, but like others on here, doubt that any 1st round talent will still be avaliable for us where we will be drafting.
                            WR - With the anticipation of Javon leaving, would really like to see them go get a good #2 in FA. Would also like to see them grab one in the draft, preferrably one who can return punts and kicks. The only problem with that, is that usually the really successful PR and KR out of college is no more than a slot WR in the NFL, and we already have the best one of those. Any good #2 WR's coming to FA this year?
                            OLB - Here is where I would like to see us draft in the 1st or second round, if we can find a good one. If Briggs is becoming FA next year, I would love to see them get him as well, then they could move this position down the draft board.

I say, give Bates one more year. If we can get our younger guys playing better, another year in the system, then I think we will be outstanding next year.

Would love to see Jarvis Moss and Elvis Dumervil coming off both edges and Marcus Thomas getting a push on the pocket. But we gotta stop the run first.

Gotta go.
                            Personal goals: GOAL WEIGHT = 250lbs
                            Weight loss needed for FGW = 120 lbs
                            Weight lost so far: - 24 lbs

Comment

What would be wrong with Phillips????????????????? Grab him. As far as other safties go, I dont know, but I like Phillips. That guy is a beast.
                              I meant if Phillips was gone when Denver picked in the first round.

Comment

Working...
                              X