Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glenn Martinez

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Glenn Martinez

    Just wanted you guys opinion on him. I think he sucks at PR duties but as a WR he has great hands and could be a bargain as a slot behind Stockley. I feel he has earned a permanent roster spot with some great grabs in traffic this year.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Zoneblock249 View Post
    Just wanted you guys opinion on him. I think he sucks at PR duties but as a WR he has great hands and could be a bargain as a slot behind Stockley. I feel he has earned a permanent roster spot with some great grabs in traffic this year.
    I like him more as a WR than a PR. I think he's one of those guys that'll want to work his butt off so much, that he'll go over the middle for a tough catch just to try to get noticed.

    As for returns:

    He had one good return for a touchdown, and that's about it.

    He's avg. about 12 yards per punt return... 142 total yards on 12 returns.

    Take away that one 80 yard return, and he's only avg. about 5.5 yards.



    He's better than Hixon.. so I'll take him.

    Comment


    • #3
      I absolutely hate this guy a KR/PR, he looks scared out there when returning. He even makes me scared to watch him return kicks! Fumbles mostly every game also, can't have that. Fair-catches when no ones there, doesn't fair-catch when there's like 7 guys in his face! Mediocre PR at best. WR skills, doing good, he has nice hands and avoids the big hit.

      We need a smaller, more agile PR, can't have those guys that run upright and get blown up when hit.

      Comment


      • #4
        Muneer Moore, Kevin Kasper, Charlie Adams, Brian Clark.....And Glenn Martinez.

        Players Shanahan didn't like enough to be early round mistakes, but the type players he insists on keeping around for God knows what......
        Last edited by stnzed; 12-15-2007, 06:27 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          He has better than average hands and awareness, and B. Stokley said he was the second best route runner on the team. Another thing I've seen in Martinez that isn't remarked on often is that he's doing really well blocking down field on running plays.

          He did seem to be a better returner early on, but after a number of fumbles/ near fumbles, he seems to be a lot more cautious. But considering we tried out Hixon then Clark and both flopped there, and the game Martinez was hurt the return game was a disaster of comical proportions.

          Considering what we invested in Hixon (draft pick, kept him a year on IR, etc) the fact we found someone else that was at least decent is good by me. I personally think that a lot of the problem is the blocking more than the returner. Unless we gamble another draft pick on a guy, I don't know if we'll find a good KR/PR in the FA.

          I don't think I'd want him as a top receiver for us but as a #3 or 4 I like him a lot, and he can step up a bit if needed. I wonder if anyone is going to start calling fo Kirkus back, since Mart is basically in that same place.
          Always a Broncos fan.

          Comment


          • #6
            I was at the game on Thursday.

            During warmups before the 3rd quarter, he was catching Sauerbraun's punts. He bobbled two and let a third go through his arms. AND THIS WAS WITH NO ONE COMING AFTER HIM!!

            He scares me.


            My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

            I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

            Comment


            • #7
              i think martinez may end up being the first guy to look better than he is because of who is throwing to him. cutler's first, whoooooo.
              Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.


              Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
              Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ShadeofBlue View Post
                He has better than average hands and awareness, and B. Stokley said he was the second best route runner on the team. Another thing I've seen in Martinez that isn't remarked on often is that he's doing really well blocking down field on running plays.

                He did seem to be a better returner early on, but after a number of fumbles/ near fumbles, he seems to be a lot more cautious. But considering we tried out Hixon then Clark and both flopped there, and the game Martinez was hurt the return game was a disaster of comical proportions.

                Considering what we invested in Hixon (draft pick, kept him a year on IR, etc) the fact we found someone else that was at least decent is good by me. I personally think that a lot of the problem is the blocking more than the returner. Unless we gamble another draft pick on a guy, I don't know if we'll find a good KR/PR in the FA.

                I don't think I'd want him as a top receiver for us but as a #3 or 4 I like him a lot, and he can step up a bit if needed. I wonder if anyone is going to start calling fo Kirkus back, since Mart is basically in that same place.
                Kircus is actually the only returner we've had in the past few years who didn't look like he was going to fumble the ball.


                My adopted Bronco is Chris Kuper. Huzzah!

                I am the raid leader for this World of Warcraft guild. Yay us!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by PatrickdaDookie View Post
                  Kircus is actually the only returner we've had in the past few years who didn't look like he was going to fumble the ball.
                  He also looked like a returner who had reckless ability.

                  It seems that all the good returns are reckless, with crazy jukes and spins.

                  Hester, Hall, Drummond, etc.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Zoneblock249 View Post
                    Just wanted you guys opinion on him. I think he sucks at PR duties but as a WR he has great hands and could be a bargain as a slot behind Stockley. I feel he has earned a permanent roster spot with some great grabs in traffic this year.
                    I agree with everything you said. He reminds me of Eddie Mac. Martinez isn't flashy in any areas, but he goes balls out every play and tries to do his part to get this team a "W". We need more players like him, and I hope the guy sticks around for a few years.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by B4Bronco6 View Post
                      He also looked like a returner who had reckless ability.

                      It seems that all the good returns are reckless, with crazy jukes and spins.

                      Hester, Hall, Drummond, etc.
                      unfortunately for us, they all had good blocking, too. we're just flat out horrible on special teams trying to block for guys.

                      well, hall benefited from many, many blocks in the back that went unnoticed or ignored. his "famous" return against us had 3 plain-as-day hits to the back that miraculously got ignored. that guy fell off when he didn't have dirty blocking/holding to help him.
                      Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.


                      Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
                      Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by PatrickdaDookie View Post
                        I was at the game on Thursday.b

                        During warmups before the 3rd quarter, he was catching Sauerbraun's punts. He bobbled two and let a third go through his arms. AND THIS WAS WITH NO ONE COMING AFTER HIM!!

                        He scares me.
                        I saw that too! Not a fan of Martinez to say the least. Let's just run up the middle......everytime.
                        Nobody reads sigs, hell nobody even reads my posts

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Martinez may have struggled as a returner, but its not all him. Our special teams has struggled as a whole. Not blocking guys clearing lanes, defensively shutting down returns effectively etc. i think Martinez is ok at returning, but he does seem a little confused. He did fumble at times earlier in the season, and since then he's been more cautious and slowed down a little not as explosive.

                          As a reciever though he shows promise, he has filled in nicely for Stokley and showed ability to move the chains and make catches. Hopefully he will return next season and maybe improve as a kick returner and if he looses that job can stay as a reciever.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            He'll be expendable in 08 training camp. Not saying he won't make the team but I see him much the way I saw Kircus. A player with marginal talent who will always be suspect to making the roster.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I like Martinez. To be totally honest they didnt televise many Bronco Games in my neck of the wood, but the games I did see he left a pretty good impression. I hope he will stick around for a while, but I am not too sure I would have him PRing.
                              SOMEBODY!!! ANYBODY!!!! GIVE ME A MILE HIGH SALUTE!!!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X