• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who else thinks this is unfair?

Broncos report
    By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News
    Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Numbers game

$7,500 is the fine Marshall was assessed by the NFL for throwing snow into the air to celebrate a touchdown catch against the Kansas City Chiefs on Dec. 9.

$5,000 is the fine Broncos safety Nick Ferguson was assessed for a low hit on a special-teams play in the loss to the Bears that the league termed "unnecessary roughness."

$0 is the fine Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens was assessed for dumping popcorn on himself after a touchdown catch this season.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...roncos-report/
    So, the NFL is starting to fine players with a pritty much clean record in the past. Shouldnt the NFL be keeping a closer eye on players like T.O.? Marshall got fined for "having props on the field". Ok, thats pritty much BS! For gods sake! Its was natural made snow he threw in the air! And the NFL didnt fine T.O. for dumping popcorn on himself? Wow....i am speechless. All i can say is the NFL doesnt know what its doing these days.

Any thoughts?

The NFL has never done anything consistent other than being inconsistent in every area.

Life isn't fair, never has been and never will be.

The NFL is as everyone knows The NO FUN LEAGUE....
    GO BRONCOS!

Remember the sun will rise and set, whether the Broncos win or not.

Comment

The NFL has taken all of the fun out of watching TDs. OMG no way did Chad Johnson just pull a cell phone out and call someone omg we need to fine him for having to much fun. Screw that bs and screw the NFL Policy on such things...i can tell you this much if i was a player I would celebrate every single time I got a touchdown. It a mental game more then it is bragging. Seriously if you get beat out for a job at work and the person rubs it in your face you get upset and mad right. Well imagine a great WR beating a great CB for a Td then the WR celebrates taunting the CB...nothing but a mind game...the NFL needs to let the players have fun. I mean for crying out loud these players work there a$$ off all the time and we thank them by fining them for having a little fun....WHAT BS!!!
      Twitter: @FFB_Hitman88

Comment

Originally posted by RIP#27#29 View Post
        So, the NFL is starting to fine players with a pritty much clean record in the past. Shouldnt the NFL be keeping a closer eye on players like T.O.? Marshall got fined for "having props on the field". Ok, thats pritty much BS! For gods sake! Its was natural made snow he threw in the air! And the NFL didnt fine T.O. for dumping popcorn on himself? Wow....i am speechless. All i can say is the NFL doesnt know what its doing these days.

Any thoughts?
        LOW HIT! what the hell, now players cant tackles below the waist? This is becoming Pansy football

Comment

Those who call the NFL the "No Fun League" are full of you know what. Why does any NFL player including any Bronco have to leap around or do some crazy antics after they make a good play or score a touchdown? I'll tell you why they do it. Because they know they are on TV. In my opinion it's stupid, inmature, childish and not impressive. I'm sick of it and I'm glad they get fined. I wish the fine was 100 more times than it is. Making good plays and scoring touchdowns is what they get paid to do.

When people like you and I do something at our jobs that is good or helps the company succeed we don't start leaping around the office giving high fives to everyone in the department or other nonsense like players do. It's absurd. Why should it be any different on the playing field? I don't get it and never will.

I miss the old NFL when players were humble and troted back to the huddle or sideline after doing the job they get paid to do. Big ego's suck...PERIOD.
          Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

The NFL plays "pick and choose", thus the inconsistency. To be a player and a fan in this league requires being thick skinned. Pretty soon they will start fining players for spitting on the sidelines. I'm not hoping it happens, but I see TO in trouble with the law like Michael Vick and Barry Bonds. Aloofness at it's best. Merry Christmas to all!

Comment

Pretty stupid IMO...

I remember before LJ was injured...he scored a TD at Arrowhead

and he grabbed that big Chiefs flag from the person who waves it

and he started waving it and then he stuck it in the ground in the

endzone.Nothing was said about that...no fine...nothing.

He shouldn't be fined for throwing snow.Also did he get some kind of

penalty for that as well?
              Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Originally posted by KCLadyFan View Post
                Pretty stupid IMO...

Actually LJ did get fined, and it was for $7,500.

Making team signature bars, just drop me a PM. :salute:

Comment

Originally posted by Stand Ablaze View Post
                  Actually LJ did get fined, and it was for $7,500.
                  Oh he did? I didn't know that :doh:

Thanks for the info...well still throwing the snow didn't

bother me at all.I also liked LJ waving the flag although

I don't care for LJ.

I think some of these players may get carried away somewhat

but some celebrating doesn't hurt.
                  Tony G

The Chefs

Comment

Originally posted by KCLadyFan View Post
                    Pretty stupid IMO...

Yes he got a penalty for having a prop on the field. Do you consider natural snow that was on the field a prop? Its BS! The Broncos go penalized 15 yards on the kickoff for Marshall using a "prop". Well, the NFL is sending a message to all NFL football players. That message is: "Do your job and nothing more."

Comment

Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post
                      Those who call the NFL the "No Fun League" are full of you know what. Why does any NFL player including any Bronco have to leap around or do some crazy antics after they make a good play or score a touchdown? I'll tell you why they do it. Because they know they are on TV. In my opinion it's stupid, inmature, childish and not impressive. I'm sick of it and I'm glad they get fined. I wish the fine was 100 more times than it is. Making good plays and scoring touchdowns is what they get paid to do.

When people like you and I do something at our jobs that is good or helps the company succeed we don't start leaping around the office giving high fives to everyone in the department or other nonsense like players do. It's absurd. Why should it be any different on the playing field? I don't get it and never will.

I miss the old NFL when players were humble and troted back to the huddle or sideline after doing the job they get paid to do. Big ego's suck...PERIOD.

If players start showing no personality, as you seem to be advocating, I can guarantee you a lot of us would stop watching.

Hell, why even bother having a favorite team, if everyone starts acting like mindless drones?

sigpic
                      They're your teammates, now.
                      Best of luck, TT!
                      ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post

I have to disagree with you about doing your job and giving high-fives. I see this all the time. When people do a good job, they get high-fives from fellow co-workers. If you want the players to play like that, then go build some androids.

It's a kids sport being played by growen men, they should be allowed to celebrate as long as it's not excessive or showboating. Most TO and CJ celebrations are showboating and are doing it to make themselves be seen.

What Marshall did was pretty much natural re-action. There's snow, why not toss it around. It's not a prop when it naturally fell out of the sky. What next, fine the the team because the rain got on the field and made for slippery conditions. Or fining the punter because he punt the ball and the sun got in the returners eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by sbutk View Post
                          If players start showing no personality, as you seem to be advocating, I can guarantee you a lot of us would stop watching.

Hell, why even bother having a favorite team, if everyone starts acting like mindless drones?

Don't put words in my mouth. Mindless drones...please. Having personality is one thing, leaping around like a moronic idiot with stupid antics after doing your job requires professional help to eliminate that kind of childish behavior.

It's ridiculous for you to say a lot of people would stop watching if they are denied the current "over the top" celebrating by players. Why do players feel they need to act like they just single handedly won the super bowl when making a tackle or scoring a touchdown? Ego, ego, ego. That's why.

What makes the game of pro football great is watching players like Barry Sanders, Walter Payton and many other great RB's run. Or players like Joe Montana, John Elway and Jay Cutler making superb passes. That is the true reason why I and I believe most other people watch pro football.

The NFL is for men, not children. It's ok for them to have fun and to be silly while playing but they need to be mature about it and keep it in perspective with professionalism. They're pro football players, not clowns. If I want to see clowns, I'll go to the circus.
                          Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

if snow is a prop so should the stands at lambeau, players doing the leap should be fined and penalized for celebrating, they didn't just get back in the huddle.

Comment

Not saying I approve of their penalty or fine. I don't particulary like the whole situation, but for you people who say "Snow isn't a prop because it's natural, it fell out of the sky, came from nature... yadda yaddah"

Where is it defined that a prop has to be man-made/constructed/manufactured? It isn't.

The definitions I can find of the word the NFL is using pertain to:

A theatrical property.
                              or
                              Item in theater used to enhance the desired effect.

(Dictionary.com, Merriam Webster, yaddah yaddah)

Well, Brandon Marshall was putting on a show, and the snow was used in that show. so, yea, the snow was his prop.

So by the new standards of the NFL, he should be penalized for using the prop in his celebration.

sorry for the technical crap, just getting tired of that argument.

and yes, I'm against it. Don't think if they're going to put the energy into fining Marshall 7.500 they shouldn't fine TO just b/c he's had so many fines. If they want to get the message out there, keep fining the perpetrators, especially the consistent ones.

Also, I thought his snow celebration was pretty awesome. definitely not pre-planned and all that crap.

On the other side of the argument here, I also hold the viewpoint that when you score a touchdown, you should act like you've been there before and its no big deal, since you'll be there again.

So I hold two viewpoints, neither one particularly strong in my mind. In the end though, it's not my money that's being fined, so why should I put much energy and outrage into the NFL rules? the only outrage would be the 15 yards. hopefully brandon knows not to do anything like that again and we can put it behind us, thankfully the extra 15 not costing us anything special.

Comment

Working...
                              X