• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T140 View Post

The definitions I can find of the word the NFL is using pertain to:

A theatrical property.
    or
    Item in theater used to enhance the desired effect.

(Dictionary.com, Merriam Webster, yaddah yaddah)

Well, Brandon Marshall was putting on a show, and the snow was used in that show. so, yea, the snow was his prop.

So by the new standards of the NFL, he should be penalized for using the prop in his celebration.
    Let me start by saying I LOVED the snow celebration, but by this same definition, the Lambeau Leap and "slam-dunking" the ball over the cross-bar are also celebrations which involve props (i.e. the wall and the cross-bar) which should be flagged and fined if Marshall's incident did, and which are considered acceptable. (I don't personally think these should, but they fit that definition)

I personally think that any celebration that occurs OFF the regulated playing field or out of bounds, should just be left alone. Let 'em celebrate. The 24 yo kids that play today grew up in a completely different world than we did, and alot of older fans forget that.

Remember, your grandparents hated the music you listened to, and you will hate the music your grandkids listen to.

The only thing that never changes is the fact that everything changes.

(I just wish there was some snow in SD for Brandon!!!!)
    Last edited by jetrazor74; 12-20-2007, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Can you read????

Originally posted by BestBroncoFan View Post
      I guess your not a sports savy person then...never played ball with the boys and celebrated a good shot? I bet you did...now imagine scoring in a game of the nations best players...tell me you wont celebrate scoring.

What old NFL players are you talking about? It must be in the single digits of the type your talking about...as thereare those today who dont feel a need to celebrate...but celebrating has ALWAYS been in the NFL...that is if you have ever watched old games..and no just assume how they acted to try and make yourself look older than you are.

I got 5 kids...all under the age of 8...even they celebrate or get excited when they do something cool...its not ego...its just personality.

the NFL is not Jeapordy......and you sir are no Alex Trabet(sp)
      Dude, did you read my post? I asked people not to take my statements out of context and then you do. I clearly stated I'm not against celebrating. Celebrating is fine but does a player have to act like he's the greatest person on the planet acting like wild animal on LSD? Great personality trait.

You state: "the NFL is not Jeapordy......and you sir are no Alex Trabet(sp)"

I don't get it. What in the world does that mean? It doesn't make sense. I'm embarrassed for you.

Also, are you saying pro football players should act like 8 year olds to celebrate while enjoying their job? When did human beings become so starved for entertainment that they demand professional adults act like under developed kids? How shallow.
      Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickdaDookie View Post
        They need to be mature about it and be professional...? Because... you said so? So that other players don't feel bad? I don't understand how you can jump to this conclusion as if it were fact when you're clearly making a personal judgment.

In my opinion, let them do what they want, upset the other team, and get cheap shotted on the next drive.

And that, my friends, is what professionalism is all about. =)
        No, not because I say so. Get real. And yes, I am making a personal judgement and I know there are many others who agree with me. In my opinion or judgement, stupid and childish actions are not necessary in order for the game to be entertaining. What's entertaining is what happens while the game clock is running, not when it's stopped.

So you think cheap shots are good for the game? Wow! You must be a die hard hockey fan too who only watches hockey games for the fighting.
        Some entertainment.
        Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoKazuki View Post

in response to the Barry Sanders, I actually didnt like watching the Lions games. Epically with Sanders, I considered him a wet blanket who only ran because he was getting paid to do so, there was no punch to the end it was like watching a TV show and it cuts to a commercial.
          Barry Sanders...a wet blanket and only ran because he was getting paid to do so???

Good grief...I wonder how good of a running back he would have been if he ran because he had heart, loved the game and wanted to be best of the best? No way right? He wouldn't do for those reasons, he just did it for the money. Yea, right....give me a break.

Sorry, wet blankets don't get voted into the NFL Hall of Fame.
          Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Originally posted by bklynbronco View Post
            But that's your opinion, and your entitled to it. But what you call silly others call fun. everybody has different taste and because you don't like it doesn't mean that others won't. and yes barry sanders did not celebrate and he was electrifying and i remember deion sanders also was electrifing but was a big hot dog. some people like it and some people didn't. it's all on taste.

Do you remember Billy whiteshoes johnson? hell of a return man and I wanted to see him bring one back so i could see his dance. that was in 80's. It's been around for decades why chastize it now?
            Yes, it is my opinion, and in my earlier post I stated that it's ok for players to be silly, as long as they remain professional and don't go over the top with it. I think you understand what I'm saying.

Yes, I do remember Billy "Whiteshoes" Johnson and I loved watching him but I don't think he was over the top with his dance. How about Icky Woods of the Bengles...remember him and the Icky Schuffle? Same thing, not over the top.

One other item of interest regarding the word "silly". I need to be more careful when I use this word. The definition is alot harsher than I realized. The dictionary defines silly as: Weak-minded or lacking good sense, stupid or foolish, absurd, rediculous, irrational, feeble minded, simple, pitiful.

I had no idea. The next time somebody calls me silly, I think I might be offended.
            Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post
              Yes, it is my opinion, and in my earlier post I stated that it's ok for players to be silly, as long as they remain professional and don't go over the top with it. I think you understand what I'm saying.
              Yes.. I think I know what you are saying. As long as the celebrations fit into your box of what is considered "acceptable adult behavior."

Comment

To quote Gladiator:

Are you not entertained?
                Superintendent Chalmers: "Thank the Lord"? That sounded like a prayer. A prayer in a public school. God has no place within these walls, just like facts don't have a place within an organized religion."

Comment

Also, are you saying pro football players should act like 8 year olds to celebrate while enjoying their job? When did human beings become so starved for entertainment that they demand professional adults act like under developed kids? How shallow.

I think you're the one putting words in people's mouths now, and grossly exaggerating too.

BTW, if you were to somehow poll the entire NFL audience across the U.S./world, do you really think you'd find much support for all this penalizing for celebrations?

sigpic
                  They're your teammates, now.
                  Best of luck, TT!
                  ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

No, not because I say so. Get real. And yes, I am making a personal judgement and I know there are many others who agree with me. In my opinion or judgement, stupid and childish actions are not necessary in order for the game to be entertaining. What's entertaining is what happens while the game clock is running, not when it's stopped.

So you think cheap shots are good for the game? Wow! You must be a die hard hockey fan too who only watches hockey games for the fighting.
                    Some entertainment.

If I had to guess, I'd say you'd probably be in favor of forcing coaches to wear suits and ties on the sidelines as well.

I think what many of us are saying, pretty much, is that we don't want anyone to turn this league into a bunch of stiffs. We're not in the army, here. Quit nit-picking!

...If a celebration like BMarsh's isn't disrespectful and doesn't disrupt the flow of the game, then let it go!

sigpic
                    They're your teammates, now.
                    Best of luck, TT!
                    ...Always a class act - in any uniform.

sbutk: i can see why Denver is taking TO's right now [trailing by 7, with 30 seconds left in the half]. but why Oakland???

Captain Lori: You are trying to figure out the Raiders. Try figuring out women instead; it's probably much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by sbutk View Post
                      If I had to guess, I'd say you'd probably be in favor of forcing coaches to wear suits and ties on the sidelines as well.

I think what many of us are saying, pretty much, is that we don't want anyone to turn this league into a bunch of stiffs. We're not in the army, here. Quit nit-picking!

...If a celebration like BMarsh's isn't disrespectful and doesn't disrupt the flow of the game, then let it go!

:clap:

well said!

Theres a reason why kill joys never get it.

The NFL is suppose to entertain us! Theres excessive (ie TO and CJ type celebrations) then theres celbrations like the Leap and dunking the football.

I guess if it doesnt fit your 'respectable' vision of celebration its deemed excessive. Kinda funny when I asked a few of my friends of the Best RB's of all time Sanders wasnt the first name mentioned, it was Smith, Davis and others.... gee i wonder why. Yea he was good made it into the HoF but he didnt pull eyes to him after he scored a TD.
                      McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Rejoice Bronco Fans we have taken our team back, but at a heavy cost.

Comment

I really do think that both sides of this arguement have valid points. There is nothing wrong with the celebrations as long as they aren't "over the top". TO is a perfect example of that. He doesn't do the things he does in the name of having fun. His is all about his ego. What Brandon did was youthful enthusiasm. I personally got a kick out of it. I am curious though if anyone knows what Shanny said to him on the sidelines afterwards. What I found to be the best though was after his next TD when he went to the sidelines to celebrate. I think that what the No Fun League has forgotten is that this is a very emotional, intense game. Brandon's celebration was great because he was celebrating with the Bronco faithful in the way a kid would. The TO's of the league do what they do for camera time, not for the fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                          Yes.. I think I know what you are saying. As long as the celebrations fit into your box of what is considered "acceptable adult behavior."
                          Ok, if that's what you want to call. Isn't that what any opinion is that someone has about anything? What fits in their box of thinking. Not once did I state that my definition of excessive celebration was correct and anyone who felt different was wrong. I stated my opinion on the matter and stated the reasons. It's ok if you disagree. I don't have to tell you Ravage that this board is all about agreeing and disagreeing on nearly every thread posted.

I see the NFL turning into a breeding ground for "It's all about me" clowns".
                          Maybe in the future they will change it to "Ringling Brothers NFL Circus". The largest gathering of clowns on gameday coast to coast. They could also borrow exotic animals from the local zoo and parade them around on the sidelines so all the fans can be entertained between plays and at half time. Then nobody can say they aren't getting their moneys worth due the game of pro football not being entertaining enough with players just playing football.

It's getting out of hand and I for one am happy to see players getting fined for over the top nonsense. But fining them $7,500.00 is chump change. That's like fining someone like me, common folk $5.00. Big deal. Fine them a lot more, because they can definitely afford it.
                          Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Originally posted by sbutk View Post
                            I think you're the one putting words in people's mouths now, and grossly exaggerating too.

BTW, if you were to somehow poll the entire NFL audience across the U.S./world, do you really think you'd find much support for all this penalizing for celebrations?

No, the first sentence in my post was in the form of a question and yes I was exaggerating a bit. My bad.

And if you could poll all NFL fans, I'm sure an overwhelming percentage would not support penalizing for celebrations. So what? If the NFL did everything the fans wanted, I would hate to see what the NFL would become. Remember what used to take place in the Roman Coliseum 2,000 years ago?
                            Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoKazuki View Post
                              :clap:

well said!

Theres a reason why kill joys never get it.

The NFL is suppose to entertain us! Theres excessive (ie TO and CJ type celebrations) then theres celbrations like the Leap and dunking the football.

I guess if it doesnt fit your 'respectable' vision of celebration its deemed excessive. Kinda funny when I asked a few of my friends of the Best RB's of all time Sanders wasnt the first name mentioned, it was Smith, Davis and others.... gee i wonder why. Yea he was good made it into the HoF but he didnt pull eyes to him after he scored a TD.
                              I'm not a kill joy and I get it. You state: The NFL is suppose to entertain us! This statement is not true and I'm not going to point out the reasons to you why it isn't true. You need to think about it.

On Barry Sanders...who are your friends...how old are they...do they know anything about the history of the NFL other than the last ten years...and who else did they mention? Walter Payton, Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, Thurman Thomas, Larry Csonka, Tony Dorsett, OJ Simpson, Marcus Allen and many more. Probably not. I believe most if not all of the players I mentioned here are in the Hall of Fame and I don't remember any of them to be showboating knuckle heads...but they were very very entertaining and I don't think any fans needed additional theatrics from them (pulling eyes) after scoring a touch down.

I was just using Barry Sanders as an example, I was not saying he is the best running back of all time. My favorite is "Sweetness" aka Walter Payton.
                              Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Those who call the NFL the "No Fun League" are full of you know what. Why does any NFL player including any Bronco have to leap around or do some crazy antics after they make a good play or score a touchdown? I'll tell you why they do it. Because they know they are on TV. In my opinion it's stupid, inmature, childish and not impressive. I'm sick of it and I'm glad they get fined. I wish the fine was 100 more times than it is. Making good plays and scoring touchdowns is what they get paid to do.

When people like you and I do something at our jobs that is good or helps the company succeed we don't start leaping around the office giving high fives to everyone in the department or other nonsense like players do. It's absurd. Why should it be any different on the playing field? I don't get it and never will.

I miss the old NFL when players were humble and troted back to the huddle or sideline after doing the job they get paid to do. Big ego's suck...PERIOD.
                                If it makes you fell anybetter there are still a select few who still have respect. LT never celabrates, never taunts anyone, he just gets it done than hands the ball to the ref. Hell he almost never even spikes the ball. Ill get back to you if I can think of anyone else

Comment

Working...
                                X