Who else thinks this is unfair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post
    I'm not a kill joy and I get it. You state: The NFL is suppose to entertain us! This statement is not true and I'm not going to point out the reasons to you why it isn't true. You need to think about it.

On Barry Sanders...who are your friends...how old are they...do they know anything about the history of the NFL other than the last ten years...and who else did they mention? Walter Payton, Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, Thurman Thomas, Larry Csonka, Tony Dorsett, OJ Simpson, Marcus Allen and many more. Probably not. I believe most if not all of the players I mentioned here are in the Hall of Fame and I don't remember any of them to be showboating knuckle heads...but they were very very entertaining and I don't think any fans needed additional theatrics from them (pulling eyes) after scoring a touch down.

I was just using Barry Sanders as an example, I was not saying he is the best running back of all time. My favorite is "Sweetness" aka Walter Payton.
    Im not going to agree with you nor disagree with you since it seems you cannot grasp a simple idea.

I'll put it this way, the way the NFL fines players on the excessiveness is how the Highway patrol writes traffic tickets.

You could drive 70mph on a highway for 4 days strait then one day bam you get hit with a speeding ticket while you see some car drive by at an excess of 90mph compared to you. Do you get that? I sure hope so!

Yes you are a killjoy. Remember the phrase "All work and no play make Jake a dull boy"

Literally the NFL is Work and Play ! Theres over the top where hiring a choreographer to ink out every TD that you may score is excessive or doing things that eat clock up is over the top.

The Sharpie incident the reason for the crack down was due to that the NFL sure was loosing alot of cash due to WR signing the ball and handing them off to a lucky fan. I mean who wouldnt be pist about that potential thousands of dollars given away for free!

That right there started the debate, and NFL was trying to recover somewhat that cash being lost. Don't think the excessive celebration penalty is driven by the NFL's greed take a good hard look at it. 5,000-30,000 dollars may seem like chump change to the player but to the NFL thats money that they can use.

I mean if a player was signing the football during a regulation match and gave it to the fan the NFL lost a percentage of that ball's worth! Nevertheless, they wouldnt gain any more money from authenticities bonus that they usually sell to authenticate that ball was signed by said person. Every NFL merchandise that you buy with the NFL seal of authenticity is a % given to the NFL cooperation. i mean gee all the kid or adult would need is a picture and his 50 dollar ticket and not a dime more would go to the NFL even if it was sold again at an auction.

Acceptable,
    spiking the ball,
    punding the chest
    doing handshake with your team mates
    Dunking
    Salute
    natural prop using.
    the leap
    taking a picture with a fan (god forbid that your the one that takes that pic and your fav player fined for excessive showboating)
    sporting your natural abilities.

uninterpretable,
    ripping food items out of a person's hand without permission
    cellphone call
    taunting the other player that starts a fight
    scrubbing your cleats over the home team's insignia
    a 3 min dance
    using broadcast equipment
    mocking the opposing coach

see theres acceptable and unacceptable (the unacceptable ones are are TD and CJ have been seen doing)

i guess your more of the run for the TD and drop the ball and run back to the huddle kind of guy... well thats fine and dandy for you and the minority that you may project but... like anything the vast majority of us like to have some mild entertainment when our favorite team scores.

hell I would have like to get that Jerry Rice football that was autographed in that Raders game (when he was still playing)I would have made a bundle
    Last edited by BroncoKazuki; 12-22-2007, 01:14 AM.
    McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Rejoice Bronco Fans we have taken our team back, but at a heavy cost.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoKazuki View Post
      Im not going to agree with you nor disagree with you since it seems you cannot grasp a simple idea.
      And what simple idea would that be?
      I'll put it this way, the way the NFL fines players on the excessiveness is how the Highway patrol writes traffic tickets.

You could drive 70mph on a highway for 4 days strait then one day bam you get hit with a speeding ticket while you see some car drive by at an excess of 90mph compared to you. Do you get that? I sure hope so!
      Actually I don't get it. Are you saying the cop saw the 90 mph speeder but decided to let him go and nail me, the 70 mph speeder? If so, I don't believe that ever happens.

Yes you are a killjoy. Remember the phrase "All work and no play make Jake a dull boy"
      No, I haven't. Who's Jake?

Literally the NFL is Work and Play ! Theres over the top where hiring a choreographer to ink out every TD that you may score is excessive or doing things that eat clock up is over the top.
      I agree.

The Sharpie incident the reason for the crack down was due to that the NFL sure was loosing alot of cash due to WR signing the ball and handing them off to a lucky fan. I mean who wouldnt be pist about that potential thousands of dollars given away for free!
      If your saying the NFL wants / demands a piece of the action when a player autographs something and sells or gives it away you are wrong. That's not how it works.

That right there started the debate, and NFL was trying to recover somewhat that cash being lost. Don't think the excessive celebration penalty is driven by the NFL's greed take a good hard look at it. 5,000-30,000 dollars may seem like chump change to the player but to the NFL thats money that they can use.
      This statement is confusing. Please try again.

I mean if a player was signing the football during a regulation match and gave it to the fan the NFL lost a percentage of that ball's worth! Nevertheless, they wouldnt gain any more money from authenticities bonus that they usually sell to authenticate that ball was signed by said person. Every NFL merchandise that you buy with the NFL seal of authenticity is a % given to the NFL cooperation. i mean gee all the kid or adult would need is a picture and his 50 dollar ticket and not a dime more would go to the NFL even if it was sold again at an auction.
      ??????????

Acceptable,
      spiking the ball,
      punding the chest
      doing handshake with your team mates
      Dunking
      Salute
      natural prop using. I disagree
      the leap
      taking a picture with a fan (god forbid that your the one that takes that pic and your fav player fined for excessive showboating)
      sporting your natural abilities.

uninterpretable, Do you mean unacceptable?
      ripping food items out of a person's hand without permission
      cellphone call
      taunting the other player that starts a fight Taunting period.
      scrubbing your cleats over the home team's insignia
      a 3 min dance
      using broadcast equipment
      mocking the opposing coach

see theres acceptable and unacceptable (the unacceptable ones are are TD and CJ have been seen doing)

i guess your more of the run for the TD and drop the ball and run back to the huddle kind of guy... well thats fine and dandy for you and the minority that you may project but... like anything the vast majority of us like to have some mild entertainment when our favorite team scores.
      No, once again, please read my posts to see that I do enjoy some celebrating but not a clown show.

hell I would have like to get that Jerry Rice football that was autographed in that Raders game (when he was still playing)I would have made a bundle Why would you sell it? Sounds to me that you care more about making money off a player more than owning a great piece of memorabilia from a Hall of Fame player to enjoy for the rest of your life. How sad.
      To celebrate and enjoy a job well done is one thing, to act like a egotistical jerk is not necessary and in my opinion, reduces the quality of pro football.
      Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post
        To celebrate and enjoy a job well done is one thing, to act like a egotistical jerk is not necessary and in my opinion, reduces the quality of pro football.
        tossing snow up into the fans on the front row is acting like an egotistical jerk?

The penalty was lame. It was actually a very classy celebration. The fine had to come because of the technicalities of the rule, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a lame call, a lame rule, and a lame fine. That was a very enjoyable and fun TD celebration. I liked it a lot, I didn't see it as being un-professional in the least, and wish MORE players would do similar TD celebrations.

Comment

Originally posted by RIP#27#29 View Post
          So, the NFL is starting to fine players with a pritty much clean record in the past. Shouldnt the NFL be keeping a closer eye on players like T.O.? Marshall got fined for "having props on the field". Ok, thats pritty much BS! For gods sake! Its was natural made snow he threw in the air! And the NFL didnt fine T.O. for dumping popcorn on himself? Wow....i am speechless. All i can say is the NFL doesnt know what its doing these days.

Any thoughts?

its all a waste of time...giving fines that will never hurt these players at all money wise
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
            tossing snow up into the fans on the front row is acting like an egotistical jerk?

The penalty was lame. It was actually a very classy celebration. The fine had to come because of the technicalities of the rule, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a lame call, a lame rule, and a lame fine. That was a very enjoyable and fun TD celebration. I liked it a lot, I didn't see it as being un-professional in the least, and wish MORE players would do similar TD celebrations.
            No, what Marshall did does not fit the definition of egotistical jerk. Not even close. In an earlier post, I stated that what Marshall did was over the top and was deserving of the penality and fine.

However, I have now changed my mind on this particular event due to the many comments made by fellow members regarding player celebrations that are acceptable and unacceptable.

Everyone who has read my statements regarding my definition of excessive celebrating knows how I feel. I don't have a problem with people that disagree with me. There are great theatrics and bad theatrics. Good and bad is in the eye of the beholder.

I guess the bottom line is how the Refs see it. The Ref judging a players celebration is going to be inconsistent at times just like some plays on the field. Most of the time they get it right. In Marshalls case I believe they got it wrong. However, I believe Marshall was redlining the fun meter after the touchdown and ALMOST crossed the line for excessive celebrating.
            Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Working...
            X