X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jazzbodog
    replied
    Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    tossing snow up into the fans on the front row is acting like an egotistical jerk?

The penalty was lame. It was actually a very classy celebration. The fine had to come because of the technicalities of the rule, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a lame call, a lame rule, and a lame fine. That was a very enjoyable and fun TD celebration. I liked it a lot, I didn't see it as being un-professional in the least, and wish MORE players would do similar TD celebrations.
    No, what Marshall did does not fit the definition of egotistical jerk. Not even close. In an earlier post, I stated that what Marshall did was over the top and was deserving of the penality and fine.

However, I have now changed my mind on this particular event due to the many comments made by fellow members regarding player celebrations that are acceptable and unacceptable.

Everyone who has read my statements regarding my definition of excessive celebrating knows how I feel. I don't have a problem with people that disagree with me. There are great theatrics and bad theatrics. Good and bad is in the eye of the beholder.

I guess the bottom line is how the Refs see it. The Ref judging a players celebration is going to be inconsistent at times just like some plays on the field. Most of the time they get it right. In Marshalls case I believe they got it wrong. However, I believe Marshall was redlining the fun meter after the touchdown and ALMOST crossed the line for excessive celebrating.

Leave a comment:

• Firstwave64
    replied
    Originally posted by RIP#27#29 View Post
    So, the NFL is starting to fine players with a pritty much clean record in the past. Shouldnt the NFL be keeping a closer eye on players like T.O.? Marshall got fined for "having props on the field". Ok, thats pritty much BS! For gods sake! Its was natural made snow he threw in the air! And the NFL didnt fine T.O. for dumping popcorn on himself? Wow....i am speechless. All i can say is the NFL doesnt know what its doing these days.

Any thoughts?

its all a waste of time...giving fines that will never hurt these players at all money wise

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Originally posted by jazzbodog View Post
    To celebrate and enjoy a job well done is one thing, to act like a egotistical jerk is not necessary and in my opinion, reduces the quality of pro football.
    tossing snow up into the fans on the front row is acting like an egotistical jerk?

The penalty was lame. It was actually a very classy celebration. The fine had to come because of the technicalities of the rule, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a lame call, a lame rule, and a lame fine. That was a very enjoyable and fun TD celebration. I liked it a lot, I didn't see it as being un-professional in the least, and wish MORE players would do similar TD celebrations.

Leave a comment:

• jazzbodog
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncoKazuki View Post
    Im not going to agree with you nor disagree with you since it seems you cannot grasp a simple idea.
    And what simple idea would that be?
    I'll put it this way, the way the NFL fines players on the excessiveness is how the Highway patrol writes traffic tickets.

You could drive 70mph on a highway for 4 days strait then one day bam you get hit with a speeding ticket while you see some car drive by at an excess of 90mph compared to you. Do you get that? I sure hope so!
    Actually I don't get it. Are you saying the cop saw the 90 mph speeder but decided to let him go and nail me, the 70 mph speeder? If so, I don't believe that ever happens.

Yes you are a killjoy. Remember the phrase "All work and no play make Jake a dull boy"
    No, I haven't. Who's Jake?

Literally the NFL is Work and Play ! Theres over the top where hiring a choreographer to ink out every TD that you may score is excessive or doing things that eat clock up is over the top.
    I agree.

The Sharpie incident the reason for the crack down was due to that the NFL sure was loosing alot of cash due to WR signing the ball and handing them off to a lucky fan. I mean who wouldnt be pist about that potential thousands of dollars given away for free!
    If your saying the NFL wants / demands a piece of the action when a player autographs something and sells or gives it away you are wrong. That's not how it works.

That right there started the debate, and NFL was trying to recover somewhat that cash being lost. Don't think the excessive celebration penalty is driven by the NFL's greed take a good hard look at it. 5,000-30,000 dollars may seem like chump change to the player but to the NFL thats money that they can use.
    This statement is confusing. Please try again.

I mean if a player was signing the football during a regulation match and gave it to the fan the NFL lost a percentage of that ball's worth! Nevertheless, they wouldnt gain any more money from authenticities bonus that they usually sell to authenticate that ball was signed by said person. Every NFL merchandise that you buy with the NFL seal of authenticity is a % given to the NFL cooperation. i mean gee all the kid or adult would need is a picture and his 50 dollar ticket and not a dime more would go to the NFL even if it was sold again at an auction.
    ??????????

Acceptable,
    spiking the ball,
    punding the chest
    doing handshake with your team mates
    Dunking
    Salute
    natural prop using. I disagree
    the leap
    taking a picture with a fan (god forbid that your the one that takes that pic and your fav player fined for excessive showboating)
    sporting your natural abilities.

uninterpretable, Do you mean unacceptable?
    ripping food items out of a person's hand without permission
    cellphone call
    taunting the other player that starts a fight Taunting period.
    scrubbing your cleats over the home team's insignia
    a 3 min dance
    using broadcast equipment
    mocking the opposing coach

see theres acceptable and unacceptable (the unacceptable ones are are TD and CJ have been seen doing)

i guess your more of the run for the TD and drop the ball and run back to the huddle kind of guy... well thats fine and dandy for you and the minority that you may project but... like anything the vast majority of us like to have some mild entertainment when our favorite team scores.
    No, once again, please read my posts to see that I do enjoy some celebrating but not a clown show.

hell I would have like to get that Jerry Rice football that was autographed in that Raders game (when he was still playing)I would have made a bundle Why would you sell it? Sounds to me that you care more about making money off a player more than owning a great piece of memorabilia from a Hall of Fame player to enjoy for the rest of your life. How sad.
    To celebrate and enjoy a job well done is one thing, to act like a egotistical jerk is not necessary and in my opinion, reduces the quality of pro football.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoKazuki
    replied
    I'm not a kill joy and I get it. You state: The NFL is suppose to entertain us! This statement is not true and I'm not going to point out the reasons to you why it isn't true. You need to think about it.

On Barry Sanders...who are your friends...how old are they...do they know anything about the history of the NFL other than the last ten years...and who else did they mention? Walter Payton, Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, Thurman Thomas, Larry Csonka, Tony Dorsett, OJ Simpson, Marcus Allen and many more. Probably not. I believe most if not all of the players I mentioned here are in the Hall of Fame and I don't remember any of them to be showboating knuckle heads...but they were very very entertaining and I don't think any fans needed additional theatrics from them (pulling eyes) after scoring a touch down.

I was just using Barry Sanders as an example, I was not saying he is the best running back of all time. My favorite is "Sweetness" aka Walter Payton.
    Im not going to agree with you nor disagree with you since it seems you cannot grasp a simple idea.

I'll put it this way, the way the NFL fines players on the excessiveness is how the Highway patrol writes traffic tickets.

You could drive 70mph on a highway for 4 days strait then one day bam you get hit with a speeding ticket while you see some car drive by at an excess of 90mph compared to you. Do you get that? I sure hope so!

Yes you are a killjoy. Remember the phrase "All work and no play make Jake a dull boy"

Literally the NFL is Work and Play ! Theres over the top where hiring a choreographer to ink out every TD that you may score is excessive or doing things that eat clock up is over the top.

The Sharpie incident the reason for the crack down was due to that the NFL sure was loosing alot of cash due to WR signing the ball and handing them off to a lucky fan. I mean who wouldnt be pist about that potential thousands of dollars given away for free!

That right there started the debate, and NFL was trying to recover somewhat that cash being lost. Don't think the excessive celebration penalty is driven by the NFL's greed take a good hard look at it. 5,000-30,000 dollars may seem like chump change to the player but to the NFL thats money that they can use.

I mean if a player was signing the football during a regulation match and gave it to the fan the NFL lost a percentage of that ball's worth! Nevertheless, they wouldnt gain any more money from authenticities bonus that they usually sell to authenticate that ball was signed by said person. Every NFL merchandise that you buy with the NFL seal of authenticity is a % given to the NFL cooperation. i mean gee all the kid or adult would need is a picture and his 50 dollar ticket and not a dime more would go to the NFL even if it was sold again at an auction.

Acceptable,
    spiking the ball,
    punding the chest
    doing handshake with your team mates
    Dunking
    Salute
    natural prop using.
    the leap
    taking a picture with a fan (god forbid that your the one that takes that pic and your fav player fined for excessive showboating)
    sporting your natural abilities.

uninterpretable,
    ripping food items out of a person's hand without permission
    cellphone call
    taunting the other player that starts a fight
    scrubbing your cleats over the home team's insignia
    a 3 min dance
    using broadcast equipment
    mocking the opposing coach

see theres acceptable and unacceptable (the unacceptable ones are are TD and CJ have been seen doing)

i guess your more of the run for the TD and drop the ball and run back to the huddle kind of guy... well thats fine and dandy for you and the minority that you may project but... like anything the vast majority of us like to have some mild entertainment when our favorite team scores.

hell I would have like to get that Jerry Rice football that was autographed in that Raders game (when he was still playing)I would have made a bundle
    Last edited by BroncoKazuki; 12-22-2007, 01:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• EVILGENIUS123
    replied
    Those who call the NFL the "No Fun League" are full of you know what. Why does any NFL player including any Bronco have to leap around or do some crazy antics after they make a good play or score a touchdown? I'll tell you why they do it. Because they know they are on TV. In my opinion it's stupid, inmature, childish and not impressive. I'm sick of it and I'm glad they get fined. I wish the fine was 100 more times than it is. Making good plays and scoring touchdowns is what they get paid to do.

When people like you and I do something at our jobs that is good or helps the company succeed we don't start leaping around the office giving high fives to everyone in the department or other nonsense like players do. It's absurd. Why should it be any different on the playing field? I don't get it and never will.

I miss the old NFL when players were humble and troted back to the huddle or sideline after doing the job they get paid to do. Big ego's suck...PERIOD.
    If it makes you fell anybetter there are still a select few who still have respect. LT never celabrates, never taunts anyone, he just gets it done than hands the ball to the ref. Hell he almost never even spikes the ball. Ill get back to you if I can think of anyone else

Leave a comment:

• jazzbodog
    replied
    Originally posted by BroncoKazuki View Post
    :clap:

well said!

Theres a reason why kill joys never get it.

The NFL is suppose to entertain us! Theres excessive (ie TO and CJ type celebrations) then theres celbrations like the Leap and dunking the football.

I guess if it doesnt fit your 'respectable' vision of celebration its deemed excessive. Kinda funny when I asked a few of my friends of the Best RB's of all time Sanders wasnt the first name mentioned, it was Smith, Davis and others.... gee i wonder why. Yea he was good made it into the HoF but he didnt pull eyes to him after he scored a TD.
    I'm not a kill joy and I get it. You state: The NFL is suppose to entertain us! This statement is not true and I'm not going to point out the reasons to you why it isn't true. You need to think about it.

On Barry Sanders...who are your friends...how old are they...do they know anything about the history of the NFL other than the last ten years...and who else did they mention? Walter Payton, Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, Thurman Thomas, Larry Csonka, Tony Dorsett, OJ Simpson, Marcus Allen and many more. Probably not. I believe most if not all of the players I mentioned here are in the Hall of Fame and I don't remember any of them to be showboating knuckle heads...but they were very very entertaining and I don't think any fans needed additional theatrics from them (pulling eyes) after scoring a touch down.

I was just using Barry Sanders as an example, I was not saying he is the best running back of all time. My favorite is "Sweetness" aka Walter Payton.

Leave a comment:

• jazzbodog
    replied
    Originally posted by sbutk View Post
    I think you're the one putting words in people's mouths now, and grossly exaggerating too.

BTW, if you were to somehow poll the entire NFL audience across the U.S./world, do you really think you'd find much support for all this penalizing for celebrations?

No, the first sentence in my post was in the form of a question and yes I was exaggerating a bit. My bad.

And if you could poll all NFL fans, I'm sure an overwhelming percentage would not support penalizing for celebrations. So what? If the NFL did everything the fans wanted, I would hate to see what the NFL would become. Remember what used to take place in the Roman Coliseum 2,000 years ago?

Leave a comment:

• jazzbodog
    replied
    Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Yes.. I think I know what you are saying. As long as the celebrations fit into your box of what is considered "acceptable adult behavior."
    Ok, if that's what you want to call. Isn't that what any opinion is that someone has about anything? What fits in their box of thinking. Not once did I state that my definition of excessive celebration was correct and anyone who felt different was wrong. I stated my opinion on the matter and stated the reasons. It's ok if you disagree. I don't have to tell you Ravage that this board is all about agreeing and disagreeing on nearly every thread posted.

I see the NFL turning into a breeding ground for "It's all about me" clowns".
    Maybe in the future they will change it to "Ringling Brothers NFL Circus". The largest gathering of clowns on gameday coast to coast. They could also borrow exotic animals from the local zoo and parade them around on the sidelines so all the fans can be entertained between plays and at half time. Then nobody can say they aren't getting their moneys worth due the game of pro football not being entertaining enough with players just playing football.

It's getting out of hand and I for one am happy to see players getting fined for over the top nonsense. But fining them $7,500.00 is chump change. That's like fining someone like me, common folk $5.00. Big deal. Fine them a lot more, because they can definitely afford it.

Leave a comment:

• spcdlee02
    replied
    I really do think that both sides of this arguement have valid points. There is nothing wrong with the celebrations as long as they aren't "over the top". TO is a perfect example of that. He doesn't do the things he does in the name of having fun. His is all about his ego. What Brandon did was youthful enthusiasm. I personally got a kick out of it. I am curious though if anyone knows what Shanny said to him on the sidelines afterwards. What I found to be the best though was after his next TD when he went to the sidelines to celebrate. I think that what the No Fun League has forgotten is that this is a very emotional, intense game. Brandon's celebration was great because he was celebrating with the Bronco faithful in the way a kid would. The TO's of the league do what they do for camera time, not for the fans.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoKazuki
    replied
    Originally posted by sbutk View Post
    If I had to guess, I'd say you'd probably be in favor of forcing coaches to wear suits and ties on the sidelines as well.

I think what many of us are saying, pretty much, is that we don't want anyone to turn this league into a bunch of stiffs. We're not in the army, here. Quit nit-picking!

...If a celebration like BMarsh's isn't disrespectful and doesn't disrupt the flow of the game, then let it go!

:clap:

well said!

Theres a reason why kill joys never get it.

The NFL is suppose to entertain us! Theres excessive (ie TO and CJ type celebrations) then theres celbrations like the Leap and dunking the football.

I guess if it doesnt fit your 'respectable' vision of celebration its deemed excessive. Kinda funny when I asked a few of my friends of the Best RB's of all time Sanders wasnt the first name mentioned, it was Smith, Davis and others.... gee i wonder why. Yea he was good made it into the HoF but he didnt pull eyes to him after he scored a TD.

Leave a comment:

• sbutk
    replied
    No, not because I say so. Get real. And yes, I am making a personal judgement and I know there are many others who agree with me. In my opinion or judgement, stupid and childish actions are not necessary in order for the game to be entertaining. What's entertaining is what happens while the game clock is running, not when it's stopped.

So you think cheap shots are good for the game? Wow! You must be a die hard hockey fan too who only watches hockey games for the fighting.
    Some entertainment.

If I had to guess, I'd say you'd probably be in favor of forcing coaches to wear suits and ties on the sidelines as well.

I think what many of us are saying, pretty much, is that we don't want anyone to turn this league into a bunch of stiffs. We're not in the army, here. Quit nit-picking!

...If a celebration like BMarsh's isn't disrespectful and doesn't disrupt the flow of the game, then let it go!

Leave a comment:

• sbutk
    replied
    Also, are you saying pro football players should act like 8 year olds to celebrate while enjoying their job? When did human beings become so starved for entertainment that they demand professional adults act like under developed kids? How shallow.

I think you're the one putting words in people's mouths now, and grossly exaggerating too.

BTW, if you were to somehow poll the entire NFL audience across the U.S./world, do you really think you'd find much support for all this penalizing for celebrations?

Leave a comment:

• chickennob2
    replied
    To quote Gladiator:

Are you not entertained?

Leave a comment:

• Ravage!!!
    replied
    Yes, it is my opinion, and in my earlier post I stated that it's ok for players to be silly, as long as they remain professional and don't go over the top with it. I think you understand what I'm saying.
    Yes.. I think I know what you are saying. As long as the celebrations fit into your box of what is considered "acceptable adult behavior."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X