Originally posted by Prodigal19 View Post
        heh not anymore
        yeah, he ran that time with a bum leg
        R.I.P. Darrent Williams and Damien Nash

R.I.P Sean Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by I3IzOnCoF4n24 View Post
          does anyone have an official 40 time from champ. his true speed is mysterious, in madden hes a 99 speed, but id like to see him race someone like devin hester or randy moss or deangelo hall just to see whos faster
          @MisterBerman

Go Broncos

Comment

I believe his combine time was 4.28. . Darrent Williams ran a 4.30, but claimed he was the fastest on the team after his first season. So Champ has probably lost a step, but thats probably expected, because he probably had to put on weight coming into the nfl.

No 40 run at the combine is considered "official", as far as world records are concerned, as the methods used for timing differ from the official track timing.

Comment

Originally posted by I3IzOnCoF4n24 View Post
              And he beat Chuck Norris A$$ doing it.....
              sigpic

Comment

I believe in a q and a with the broncs site after the trade from washington he said he ran a 4.2 in college, his 40 in the combine was 4.28 as mentioned above, so it's possible on the right track with right conditions he could run what he says he did. He will have lost some of that i'd imagine, but nfl conditioning methods are pretty good at maintaining speed, so probably not that much. It's irrelevant anyway for a few reasons:

-In his position straight line speed is not the most important attribute, champs agility is incredible in terms of reaction time i've seen no one who can match him in that regard.Couple this with his fantastic acceleration and he's difficult to beat with even excellent route running.

- His reading of the play has improved since his time in the combine, he jumps routes quicker now/ sometimes incorrectly which means he gets beaten occasionally, this is regardless of his speed.

- 40 times don't measure your reaction to a stimulus, that is there is no event you need to be aware of before running (like a guy changing direction or a gunshoit in athletics) so for champ the time is at least partially redundant.
                "You only live twice, once when you're born and once when you look death in the face"

Comment

id say if he ran a 40 right now itd be somewhere between 4.3 and 4.35
                  @MisterBerman

Go Broncos

Comment

Im a track coach and the way champ has been 4.4 is VERY LIKELY at this point in the season, but I do believe his peak is 4.32-4.35.

A couple key factors that determine a quick 40 time is :
                    1.) explosive first step
                    2.) stride length
                    3.) quick turn over

Over time a CB's explosive first step will be lost because they need to READ and REACT in the NFL. Also once you are established in the NFL, your 40 time needs to only be maintained and not improved.

In Champs case I could argue that his stride length has been hindered by injury (this was shown in the green bay game) which would also hinder his turn over. This is why right now I could guess a 4.4. Champ though at 100% could shave that time by .05 or .07.

Anyone who thinks Champ could run under 4.3 at this point in his career (age being a factor too) is just crazy, and I would love to take your money in a bet!

I hope this helps.
                    Last edited by rst08tierney; 12-20-2007, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Actually Champ has a 98 in madden (an you know they are REALLY good at this haha)

I would bet he has lost a lil in straight line speed, and remember he is prolly playing on a hurt quad still (not to make excuses)

I would still say he is one of the better if not best in the league though.

Just my two cents
                      Bronco fan from Packer Land.
                      Lefty Writer on The Sports Show with Woody Paige and Les Shapiro
                      Tweet me @JoRo_5551

Comment

Originally posted by JoRo View Post
                        Actually Champ has a 98 in madden (an you know they are REALLY good at this haha)

I would bet he has lost a lil in straight line speed, and remember he is prolly playing on a hurt quad still (not to make excuses)

I would still say he is one of the better if not best in the league though.

Just my two cents
                        I would disagree. With a quad injury its the easiest to run in a straight line with small strides. Look to the tape of the green bay game where champ got burned. He actually closed with great speed but because his stride was hindered (shorter) his timing of the jump was a bit off and he missed the ball by 2 inches. The speed was there once he had his sights on the WR and his body mechanics were in a straight line.

If you think about it, with champ being hurt he is still a top 10 CB at 80%

Comment

Does it really matter? When he's healthy, he can run with the fastest players on the field. So to me, that's all that matters.

Comment

His official WAS indeed 4.28, which btw was faster than D-Halls 4.31 (I think).

Comment

40 time

I would say at this point hes 29 going on 30 and has 9 years of playing(played in every game except 2) he is probably still able to kick out 4.32-4.38 which is still as fast or faster than 99% of the recievers in the game. In all reality 4.45 is still fast enough to be an effective corner(Sheldon Brown, Ronde Barber). Its all about combining that speed with knowledge of the game to be great. Some guys are fast as all hell, but are dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to instincts on the field.

Comment

Working...
                              X