Good article on Javon Walker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Return of Lava View Post
    As inconsistent and young as our offense is right now, I think we need walker next year to have a shot at a SuperBowl. Marshall would be a good #1 option, but with him and Stokely our WR core is "decent" with Walker added, we're "great" imo.

We have to have a strength on this team. No part of our game is dominant, until now, our passing attack can be. Its not "potential" I'm counting on, its trust that the doctors and everybody feel like he is gonna be 100% next year. If so, he will produce like a true #1, the way he has so far when healthy here. Marshall's good, but his catch totals are inflated because of our playing from behind so much, having Cutler instead of Plummer and catching a lot of shorter passes. Walker had more ypc last year than Marshall this year. He actually took the job from Smith, where Marshall was given based on Walker's injury. Walker had 100 yards games both games he played before the injury. Even so, Marshall could be our #1 WR and do well, but we'd just have 1 WR on that level. If we had 2 I feel we're in a whole other category, dominant status. With our RB core looking like its gonna be the same as last year, we're a much bigger threat in the pass game than the run game.

Our defense on paper isnt that bad, because I assume thast what you are getting at when you say "other needs". Once we get another decent tackle, we're set. We cant have stars everywhere, with bailey and Bly taking up the money they take up, and Williams I imagine is not cheap either. No matter who we sign, we're not gonna be a dominant defense, our coach's strength is offense. On defense, we have to rely on turnovers from our stars, while the rest of the team just doesnt give it away imo.
    I just don't think you can pay a guy with that much question surrounding his knee. And I doubt the Broncos will ever find a doctor that will give them a guarantee that his knee won't be degenerative. I mean, he was already told once that his knee was 100% when he had the first surgery. Yet two seasons later, the knee became inflamed and had fluid build-up. I've been a Broncos fan a long time, and I've never seen a WR have major knee surgery on the same knee twice and come back the same player he was.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
      I just don't think you can pay a guy with that much question surrounding his knee. And I doubt the Broncos will ever find a doctor that will give them a guarantee that his knee won't be degenerative. I mean, he was already told once that his knee was 100% when he had the first surgery. Yet two seasons later, the knee became inflamed and had fluid build-up. I've been a Broncos fan a long time, and I've never seen a WR have major knee surgery on the same knee twice and come back the same player he was.
      Well, if we dont keep him, we go back to having 1 dominant WR and 1 good one, which will never set you apart in this league. And what star DT's are gonne be avaliable and what star safety is gonna be avaliable for next year? Those are the only 2 positions we need an upgrade on defense, and with our scheme we will never be a dominant defensive team, because we are not built with power, but speed.
      dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Well, if we dont keep him, we go back to having 1 dominant WR and 1 good one, which will never set you apart in this league. And what star DT's are gonne be avaliable and what star safety is gonna be avaliable for next year? Those are the only 2 positions we need an upgrade on defense, and with our scheme we will never be a dominant defensive team, because we are not built with power, but speed.
        What team has three dominant WRs on their squad?

Even during the Broncos' Super Bowl years, we had Rod Smith and Ed McCaffery, and neither really became great until after Elway retired. And the Broncos have never had a decent #3 WR. That's usually been the TE.

Having Marshall and Stokely puts the Broncos in pretty great shape, IMO - better than any of the other teams in our division for sure. I don't know why you think we need three dominant receivers in order to get anywhere. You need a franchise QB and a dominant defense first and foremost.

Besides, I'm not advocating that we get rid of Walker. But he has to restructure.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
          What team has three dominant WRs on their squad?

Even during the Broncos' Super Bowl years, we had Rod Smith and Ed McCaffery, and neither really became great until after Elway retired. And the Broncos have never had a decent #3 WR. That's usually been the TE.

Having Marshall and Stokely puts the Broncos in pretty great shape, IMO - better than any of the other teams in our division for sure. I don't know why you think we need three dominant receivers in order to get anywhere. You need a franchise QB and a dominant defense first and foremost.

Besides, I'm not advocating that we get rid of Walker. But he has to restructure.
          Not that I have to mention this, but if we had a run game like back when we had terrell davis, I wouldnt care what happend to walker. Since we dont, pass has to be our focus, with walker already here and all.

But to use your example in reverse, which Superbowl did we have a dominant defense?
          dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Not that I have to mention this, but if we had a run game like back when we had terrell davis, I wouldnt care what happend to walker. Since we dont, pass has to be our focus, with walker already here and all.

But to use your example in reverse, which Superbowl did we have a dominant defense?
            We had a top 10 defense both seasons we won our Super Bowls, and our D played pretty spectacular in the playoffs - especially in the Super Bowls.
            sigpic

Comment

Top 10 defense is not the same as dominant, but we're capable of a top 10 defense with the players we have now, plus 1 good tackle, imo. Just like what we had in 2003-2006. That was with players like Mario Fatafehi, Darius Holland, Monsanto Pope and co playing tackle

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

We don't NEED a 'dominant' WR to take over for walker, but he has to be better than what we currently have behind him. We do not want to rely on Stokely as the #2, he's a slot WR... thats where he is best at, thats where he succeeds at, that is where we MUST keep him to use him at his optimum. It would be a waste of time to try and use him out wide.

That being said, Walker MUST renegotiate his contract. He would be foolish not to, considering his value outside of Denver would not bring him the money he wants. ALthough, he is one to get his ego hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                  We don't NEED a 'dominant' WR to take over for walker, but he has to be better than what we currently have behind him. We do not want to rely on Stokely as the #2, he's a slot WR... thats where he is best at, thats where he succeeds at, that is where we MUST keep him to use him at his optimum. It would be a waste of time to try and use him out wide.

That being said, Walker MUST renegotiate his contract. He would be foolish not to, considering his value outside of Denver would not bring him the money he wants. ALthough, he is one to get his ego hurt.
                  Most people saying he MUST renegotiate, are ones who dont believe he is worth 7-9 mil even if completly healthy. I think his salary price is pretty high, but I think if completely healthy, he would be a better #1 option than we've had in a long long time. Before even Smith and Mccaffery imho.

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Most people saying he MUST renegotiate, are ones who dont believe he is worth 7-9 mil even if completly healthy. I think his salary price is pretty high, but I think if completely healthy, he would be a better #1 option than we've had in a long long time. Before even Smith and Mccaffery imho.
                    I completely agree with that. WHEN and IF Walker is healthy, he's the best WR we have on the roster, and the best WR we've had on the Broncos since I can't rmember when.

But he MUST renegotiate to even have the chance to prove that he is healthy. Even if he renegotiates to a incentive laden contract... so that if he's completely healthy, and remains healthy, he gets the money he would have gotten if he didn't renegotiate. Because right now, knowing his injury history, and the chance of his surgery coming up.. he is NOT worth the 4 million dollar roster bonus. Part of getting the big money, means you have to produce ON the field, and not just have the potential to be really good.

He MUST renegotiate in order for him to be on this team.

Comment

Get rid of Javon and get..

Bernard Berrian

Comment

Originally posted by Beast#7 View Post
                        Get rid of Javon and get..

Bernard Berrian
                        why? what do you think that would do for us? do you think we can afford him? is he more than a deep threat?

Comment

why? what do you think that would do for us? do you think we can afford him? is he more than a deep threat?
                          I don't know how much he'd cost, but I'm sure he could probably do what Javon can do.

I mean, it seems that Javon is the speedster, running down the field.. I don't think his cuts are as good as they are as last year.

Marshall is just one of those studs who is going to go across the field, and take a short dump 10+ yards and do everything he can.

Stokley is the seam guy.. I don't want to see him on the outside.

So really, I think Berrian wouldn't be an awful pickup... the guy is also young.

:2cents:

Comment

Who was the one who made that amazing catch in the 4th quarter against us vs the bears this year?

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Who was the one who made that amazing catch in the 4th quarter against us vs the bears this year?
                              I think that was Desmond Clark, our former TE.

Comment

He'd be great for us. I don't know how much he costs either.

He's a great deep threat.

I'll show you a few vids.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d804c1f22

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8041ffaf

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80349c7b

I'm getting excited just thinking about him being with the Broncos.

Comment

Working...
                                X