Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rooting for Division Rivals in Post Season

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Rooting for Division Rivals in Post Season

    I might be opening up myself for getting "smacked" to death but here goes....

    Most of those who post on this board say they cannot and will not root for a division rival in post season. I'm just a little curious as to why not?

    Now before you all blister your fingertips giving me reasons like...the Bolts suck...LT's a whiner....Merriman got caught using juice...and all the rest of the smack routine, hear me out.

    More than 30 years being a Charger fan, I am used to being on the outside looking in at the playoffs. The only team I can not root for in the post season is the Raiders....hey, at least we don't need to worry about that happening in the near future, right?! Seriously, though, I remember rooting for the Broncos in post season during the Elway years. I was GLAD when he won the first superbowl. Blue and Orange confetti, the works....it was great. Seeing the Super Bowl Champ coming from our division, to me, tells the rest of the league that the AFC west is a dominant division.

    Just curious...what are your reasons for not supporting divisional teams in post season? Keep it clean and try not to slap me around too much.

    Merry Christmas to all

    Go Bolts!

  • #2
    i would never root for any team in the AFC west in any game including the playoffs. i hate them all and do not want to see them succeed, i expect the same in return.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by baphamet View Post
      i would never root for any team in the AFC west in any game including the playoffs. i hate them all and do not want to see them succeed, i expect the same in return.
      Okay......point taken.....now does anyone have any real reasons??

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by BoltNut View Post
        Okay......point taken.....now does anyone have any real reasons??
        I usually root for the AFC...unless it's an AFC West team other than the Broncos playing.

        I rooted for San Fransisco back in '94, and rooted for Tampa Bay back in '02. I don't want any other team in the division getting any glory except the Broncos.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Well, I root for the division rivals all the time.

          For instance, as much as I dislike the Chargers, I'll root for them, because they beat us in our division, and have proven that they deserve a chance to win the big game.

          But as for not rooting for them, it may be BECAUSE we are rivals. That's all.
          Very happy to have Tebow in orange and blue!!!

          Team Tebow #16

          Comment


          • #6
            I normally always root for the AFC in the SB.. but never root for the AFC to win in the playoffs.

            I of course rooted for TB against the Raiders, and the Niners against the Chargers (plus I wanted Steve Young to win one).

            This year, If the patriots happen to make it to the SB, I'll again be rooting for the NFC.

            Comment


            • #7
              Although I don't hate the Dolts or the Chefs nearly as much as I hate the Faiders, I couldn't root for either one in the playoffs unless they were playing the Patsies, this year not last year. Last year I was fine with the Patsies beating the Dolts because I was fairly certain the Colts would beat the Patsies in the AFCCG. There's really no point in calling division rivals "rivals" if you're just going to turn around and root for them in the playoffs. Usually I root for the AFC team in the Super Bowl, but I definitely was not rooting for the Faiders against the Bucs. You're not supposed to like a rival team, especial one in your division. There's no point in having a favorite team if you're not going hate rival teams. You might as well pick a favorite division and root for each team equally against teams from other divisions and not care which team wins the division or the games against each other.
              My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
              You Mad Bro?
              Don’t Be A Mean Girl

              Comment


              • #8
                The Raiders = Never. If the Raiders would cease to exist, I would be giddy.

                Aside from Oakland, and I'm probably in the minority here, but I've generally liked SD as a team, back to Alsworth and through Fouts. I grew up in MO so I have a certain ambivalence but not hatred of KC. So, it depends who they play whether or not I root for them. My optimum scenario is 3 high winning records, dog fight for the AFC West, with Denver winning and the Raiders 0-forever.

                BUT, during the last couple of years, my disdain for SD has been increasing and it's entirely due to the obnoxiousness of the fans. The sheer amount of smack and juvenile garbage that comes from guys (?) like Bolt-Man breeds disgust like air on yeast. They seem 4th to only Oakland and Philly and NE.

                Hard core fans that present an honest question or argue in support of their team with petty rhetoric are cool in my book. So, thanks for the question.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm split.

                  I do like to see the teams in our division to do well in general (i.e. being competitive) yet, when we're in competition, I can't actually be happy for individual wins.

                  I truly miss the AFC West being the toughest division in the NFL. So I want that back... but whether or not I can honestly root for them to win in the playoffs? I'm not sure.

                  I mean... against New England, sure...

                  Other than that...

                  I think posting and moderating here makes me wish for rival success less, because I don't want to be reading about it all the time from the trolls. lol.

                  I'm not sure how I'd feel if I'd never found the forums... because I may never have gotten to the point where I also respected the division as a whole.

                  So there you go.

                  Thanks, Reid!
                  sigpic
                  Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BoltNut View Post
                    I might be opening up myself for getting "smacked" to death but here goes....

                    Most of those who post on this board say they cannot and will not root for a division rival in post season. I'm just a little curious as to why not?

                    Now before you all blister your fingertips giving me reasons like...the Bolts suck...LT's a whiner....Merriman got caught using juice...and all the rest of the smack routine, hear me out.

                    More than 30 years being a Charger fan, I am used to being on the outside looking in at the playoffs. The only team I can not root for in the post season is the Raiders....hey, at least we don't need to worry about that happening in the near future, right?! Seriously, though, I remember rooting for the Broncos in post season during the Elway years. I was GLAD when he won the first superbowl. Blue and Orange confetti, the works....it was great. Seeing the Super Bowl Champ coming from our division, to me, tells the rest of the league that the AFC west is a dominant division.

                    Just curious...what are your reasons for not supporting divisional teams in post season? Keep it clean and try not to slap me around too much.

                    Merry Christmas to all

                    Go Bolts!
                    Do you know how much flak we will hear next year on these boards if a division opponent won the SuperBowl!!!!

                    But to be honest, I dont even really watch the Super Bowl if the Broncos arent in it, so I dont care who wins it.
                    Last edited by Return of Lava; 12-22-2007, 05:49 PM.
                    dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

                    I tried to warn ya.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      We spend all season hoping that we'll win and they will lose, so that we get our shot at the Big Show...

                      When division rivals beat us out, seeing them in the playoffs is just a reminder that we're not there...

                      That hurts.

                      I can't see really rooting for them, in any scenario except against the Pats. Man, I hate the Pats.

                      I'd really like to see Farve take the Pack all the way this year, and then leave while he's on top... what a great way to go out... he's a classy man, and I hope the best for him. Then I want him to be gone so that we don't have to face him any more
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I only root for the Broncos.

                        There are two kinds of teams in the AFCW; The losers and the Broncos!!!

                        I Support our Troops!
                        How do you expect me to have a RED WHITE and BLUE sig when the background is obnoxious white?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by redbirdy80 View Post
                          I'd really like to see Farve take the Pack all the way this year, and then leave while he's on top... what a great way to go out... he's a classy man, and I hope the best for him. Then I want him to be gone so that we don't have to face him any more
                          My parents grew up in Wisconsin and are diehard Packer fans so I'm rooting for Green Bay.
                          sigpic

                          Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by BoltNut View Post
                            Okay......point taken.....now does anyone have any real reasons??

                            what? my reason isn't good enough?
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              no! just can't do it.i don't really rub it in on other people when the BRONCOS win,but the people i know that are fans of these other teams they would.that is tooooooo much to listen to.
                              elway going to save the broncos again.yes!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X