Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walker better take a pay cut or he is gone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some links regarding the possibility for Walker needing microfracture surgery:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/?p=403

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7446549

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum...owtopic=362288

http://blogs.rotoworld.com/Fantasy_F...10/post_11.php

http://ffcollective.com/article?id=2...eek%2011%3F%20

Basically, the doctor's told him he likely needed it, but he opted for the less evasive cleaning this season instead. He's stating now that he doesn't think he needs microfracture...but considering how he's performed since returning, I'm not so sure. The doctors seemed certain that he needed it at one point, and told him there were no guarantees with the surgery he had.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncobuss View Post
      That 4 million bonus is not really that much relitively speaking, how much would it cost us in bonus to get another wr in FA that has the same talent as javon, We have somthing like 16 million in cap space right now for next year, so we are in very good shape cap wise, and it would be stupid to at least not wait until traning camp to see if he is healthy enough. because if he pans out to last years play, our offense will be looking very good, worth the 4 million gamble, (plus it aint my money, so eh) besides I think if we cut him before june 1st, he counts more against our cap than if we pay him the bonus and wait until after june 1st, a no brainer to me.
      that 4 million goes on TOP of his salary.. he would count over 7 against the cap next season. If we are only 16 million under the cap, and you say its ok to give Walker four of that...thats 25% of your cap space for one player.

Not to mention, that when you sign another player to your roster, it wouldn't necessarily cost that much against the cap.. PLUS.. you would be getting a healthy player for that money....

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
        The difference between you and Walker is that he has a contract that says he gets paid as long as he's on the roster. He has every right to insist that the Broncos live up to that contract or release him. If they release him, they quite possibly do more harm to themselves than to him. He can sign a one year deal with someone, have a great year, and then get another huge contract. The Broncos on the other hand will definitely take a very unpleasant hit to their salary cap.

Contrary to what some people have been saying in this thread, there hasn't been any credible source that has reported that Walker's knee injury is career threatening. His last surgery was to remove a cyst. He said the knee is fixed but isn't 100% yet. It should be by next year, according to him, which hopefully is something the doctors told him.

As long as the expectation is that he will be 100% by next season, the Broncos should live up to the contract. They know the risks every time they sign a contract with any player. They should just accept the consequences of those risks instead of expecting players to take pay cuts. If they have to cut him, they can always wait until after June 1st, which will help them with salary cap, even if they wait until after the preseason is over to cut him.

If he's healthy next year, he will be worth money.
        IMO we can't trust a ward Walker says about his health. He was saying he was ready to go and come up big for us 3 days before he went under the knife

I know he us under contract. You asked who of us would not expect to get paid if we got hurt doing our job.

Walker is putting the team in a bad position if he don't restructure his contract. He wants the team to pay 7 million for an "IF" Of course he knows we are screwed either way. Is he going to help the team out or try and keep them bent over the barrel? If he is not loyal to the team then I see no reason why the team should be loyal to him. I say cut him at the best time for the team and the worst time for him. He will not get a big contract from anyone else with all his health concerns.

Or better yet, if he wont work with the team I say trade him to the phins for a bag of peanuts.
        _
        Card by broncos_mtnman Sig by MasterShake America: Freedom to Fascism Watch this!
        All you need to know about Yellow & White Bars, CPs, and Levels

Comment

Originally posted by fcspikeit View Post
          IMO we can't trust a ward Walker says about his health. He was saying he was ready to go and come up big for us 3 days before he went under the knife

I know he us under contract. You asked who of us would not expect to get paid if we got hurt doing our job.

Walker is putting the team in a bad position if he don't restructure his contract. He wants the team to pay 7 million for an "IF" Of course he knows we are screwed either way. Is he going to help the team out or try and keep them bent over the barrel? If he is not loyal to the team then I see no reason why the team should be loyal to him. I say cut him at the best time for the team and the worst time for him. He will not get a big contract from anyone else with all his health concerns.

Or better yet, if he wont work with the team I say trade him to the phins for a bag of peanuts.
          This is exactly right. He's going to act as though he's coming along just fine. He's going to say that he's 'just injured' like anyone else. But he's going to act and say that until May.. when his roster bonus hits. But what then? Then he just "gets injured again." Like he said over and over again... "My contract doesn't really take effect until this year."

I worry that Walker is going to pull the same crap here, as he did in GB.

Comment

Get rid of Javon and get..

Bernard Berrian

He's a great deep threat and could be a strong #2.

I'll show you a few vids.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d804c1f22

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8041ffaf

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80349c7b

I'm getting excited just thinking about him being with the Broncos.

Comment

Originally posted by Beast#7 View Post
              Get rid of Javon and get..

Bernard Berrian

He's a great deep threat and could be a strong #2.

I'll show you a few vids.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d804c1f22

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8041ffaf

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80349c7b

I'm getting excited just thinking about him being with the Broncos.
              We most likely will have to keep Walker on the roster simply becuase of the expense of it.

But we can't and won't spend the money for Berriman.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                We most likely will have to keep Walker on the roster simply becuase of the expense of it.
                Not necessarily.

No matter what, the Broncos will save money by cutting/trading Walker (again, this is according to Adam Schefter and Jim Armstrong). Now, how much that will be remains to be seen. I'm certainly not a cap expert, and simply have to trust those in the media like Schefter and Armstrong when they discuss this. However, the one thing they'll definitely save is a roster position for another player. That may be more crucial than the cap hit they may take next season if they cut/trade Walker, if by chance he's not healthy and can't play up to a decent level (which, let's be honest - he's been more of a decoy since his return than an actual contributor).

Also, Walker is putting himself in a bad position with Mike Shanahan. He doesn't respond well to players who discuss this kind of stuff publicly. Personally, I don't think Walker is in a position to be talking about his contract and the possibility of restructuring at this juncture.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                  Not necessarily.

No matter what, the Broncos will save money by cutting/trading Walker (again, this is according to Adam Schefter and Jim Armstrong). Now, how much that will be remains to be seen. I'm certainly not a cap expert, and simply have to trust those in the media like Schefter and Armstrong when they discuss this. However, the one thing they'll definitely save is a roster position for another player. That may be more crucial than the cap hit they may take next season if they cut/trade Walker, if by chance he's not healthy and can't play up to a decent level (which, let's be honest - he's been more of a decoy since his return than an actual contributor).

Also, Walker is putting himself in a bad position with Mike Shanahan. He doesn't respond well to players who discuss this kind of stuff publicly. Personally, I don't think Walker is in a position to be talking about his contract and the possibility of restructuring at this juncture.
                  I didn't say it was a necessity to keep him. I didn't say it was the only option. I'm saying that from the things I've read... it would appear that the Broncos would/will most likely keep Walker on the roster due to the money. Can that change, can that not happen, can that be completely off... absolutely. I just think the odds are better than we keep Walker on the roster. But either way.... we don't spend the money on Berriman.

Comment

I didn't say it was a necessity to keep him. I didn't say it was the only option. I'm saying that from the things I've read... it would appear that the Broncos would/will most likely keep Walker on the roster due to the money. Can that change, can that not happen, can that be completely off... absolutely. I just think the odds are better than we keep Walker on the roster. But either way.... we don't spend the money on Berriman.
                    I don't know. The Broncos were able to cut ties with Brian Griese in the third year of his big contract. Ditto for Jake Plummer, Al Wilson, and Trevor Pryce.

I don't believe the Broncos are as crippled by Walker's contract -or Henry's for that matter. If they are, then this team is going to be in serious trouble, because they're going to have to spend money on the defensive side of the ball, and won't be able to do that with both players' contracts as is and neither of them living up to their respective contracts.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                      I don't know. The Broncos were able to cut ties with Brian Griese in the third year of his big contract. Ditto for Jake Plummer, Al Wilson, and Trevor Pryce.

I don't believe the Broncos are as crippled by Walker's contract -or Henry's for that matter. If they are, then this team is going to be in serious trouble, because they're going to have to spend money on the defensive side of the ball, and won't be able to do that with both players' contracts as is and neither of them living up to their respective contracts.
                      Doesn't have to do with being 'crippled' by their contracts. It has everything to do with just making sense financially. Would we be better off getting rid of Henry if it costs more to do so? No. Why would it? He's still the best runner on the roster. Same with Walker. When healthy, he's teh best on the roster. Would it make sense to spend more money against the cap to get rid of him? Probably not.

so it has nothing to to with being crippled. It has everything thing to do with just saving as much money as possible. If we have to go after as many players as you believe we do on defense, then we need the money to do that.

I'm not willing to say Henry isn't living up to his contract when he was doing his job just fine and leading the league bfore injury.

Comment

I'm not willing to say Henry isn't living up to his contract when he was doing his job just fine and leading the league bfore injury.
                        In fainress, Henry was injured against Detroit, and his performance started to decline immediately after the Indy game. That means he was healthy (relatively speaking) against San Diego, Pittsburgh, and Green Bay, and did next to nothing in all those games.

But that's neither here or there. This is about Walker, and I don't want to get wildly off topic regarding Henry, because I'm not nearly as behind him as I am Walker.

I really think that, with no one here being a cap expert and knowing the specifics of the contract and what kind of hit we may or may not take, and with the apparent conflicting stories coming from the media, we shouldn't be guessing one way or the other. I think you and I both agree that Walker should restructure, and that the Broncos will make the best decision finanically for them.
                        sigpic

Comment

Walker is a way better all around wide receiver then berrian i say we keep javon and see what happens this next year same with henry let him get alot of carries in the san diego game and see how he holds up.
                          sigpicR.I.P Darrent Williams and Damien Nash
                          GO BRONCOS

Comment

Originally posted by Emancipator View Post
                            If I'm Walker, I don't take a pay cut. Shanahan should have something placed in Javon's contract about his knee injuries. If so, that would take care of that. Other than that, I wouldn't take a pay cut if I'm Walker......he didn't go out and get injured away from football.
                            in 1997 john elway reworked his contract.if john can do it anyone can do it.
                            elway going to save the broncos again.yes!

Comment

Originally posted by horseplay View Post
                              in 1997 john elway reworked his contract.if john can do it anyone can do it.
                              He reworked it to have his money paid to him over a longer period of time - something that eventually got the Broncos in trouble.

Javon won't be able to do that. He'll have to take a pay cut and/or an incentive based deal, IMO.
                              sigpic

Comment

But we can't and won't spend the money for Berriman.

No thanks to Berrian anyway, I believe he's represented by Drew Rosendoosh......

Comment

Working...
                                X