Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broncos Need a Franchise RB to Succeed. Henry is Not That Guy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos Need a Franchise RB to Succeed. Henry is Not That Guy.

So this concept has suddenly hit me. This entire season, all of us at one point or another have criticized Shanahan for his play calling, where he will repeatedly run the ball in obvious situations, and his persistance to try to stuff the ball through the middle in the redzone, which failed 90% of the time this year. His plays are a major reason why our offense struggled putting points on the board, so why does he continue to do the same thing? It's because he expects too much from players like Travis Henry to punch the ball through the middle consistently.

The running game is what this offense is built around. When it struggles, the offense doesn't move the ball. Travis Henry had a good 1st few games on this team, but when the Broncos have been actual contenders, they had a back that did a lot more than gain 4-5 yards on inside runs. Henry is a guy that really frustrates me. He makes you think he is a good runner on one play, yet on the next run he gets tripped up by one defender who you would think would have no chance against Henry. Then he gets injured on every other play, and sits on the sideline while our offense needs him to finish the drive. What really bothers me most is that I think he gives up on plays. Henry will break a tackle on an outside run and sprint down the sideline, but when the corner/safety comes to tackle him, he doesn't give the same effort that allowed him to break the 1st tackle and he goes down easily. Stiff arm him or lower your shoulder at least! Just because you got past the first defender doesn't mean you can't do it again...

Which brings me to our need for a franchise running back. Henry is not it. He has strength, and that is about it. The Broncos need a guy that will drag guys through the middle, not get pushed back and thrown on their butts like the habit we are used to seeing with our runners. We need a RB that will break the 1st tackle on the outside, and have the speed and elusiveness to get down the sideline or break back into the middle for a huge gain. The Broncos need a RB that you don't have to worry about fumbling at any given moment (aka Henry).

Look at the major playoff contenders.

New England Patriots - Laurence Maroney
    Pittsburgh Steelers - Willie Parker
    Indianapolis Colts - Joseph Addai
    San Diego Chargers - LaDanian Tomlinson
    Dallas Cowboys - Marion Barber
    Greenbay Packers - Ryan Grant
    Jacksonville Jaguars - Jones-Drew/Taylor
    Minnesota Vikings - Adrian Peterson/Chester Taylor

All of these teams have RBs that can carry the offense. Travis Henry does not carry this team, and by no means can Selvin Young at this point in his career. A franchise RB can score at any moment and place on the field. I can't see Henry being capable of that title. Denver could be a deadly team if they could find that guy again, especially with the passing game that is developing with Cutler. I know I am missing something in this arguement...

I would seriously not be suprised if we used our 1st/2nd round pick on a running back. If we perfected our offense, it would do wonders for our defense in the long run. Let me know what you think.
    Go Selvin!
    Shake and Bake All Day Long!

sigpic

i agree 100% but we do need a dt from the draft. i would not mind a good fa who is ready to kill it for us.

Comment

Your post is generally well-reasoned, but you can't seriously try to tell me that Laurence Maroney "carries" the Pats' offense... the running game is almost forgotten in that system, and Maroney has been next-to-worthless (at least stat-wise) this year--I know because I wasted my 1st round fantasy pick on him!

Comment

Originally posted by dodgehunter13 View Post

I would seriously not be suprised if we used our 1st/2nd round pick on a running back. If we perfected our offense, it would do wonders for our defense in the long run. Let me know what you think.

I posted a thread about week ago that suggested the same thing. We really need to have a franchise RB. We had one when we had TD and look how succesful we were. We need another one and Henry is a distraction and well as good as Young may seem he can't be a franchise back. The worst but yet best decsion that Shanny has made in the draft was drafting Maurice Clarett. Clarett was a stud in college and if he would of not been such a dumb @** and stayed in college and not challenge the NFL he would be starting in this lesague today. If that pick would of worked out he would be our Franchise running back. So we NEED to get a quality back in the 1st round. In the thread I posted i noted that if Denver finishes the season with a Top 12 pick don't be surprised to see Shanny try and trade up to land McFadden.
        Twitter: @FFB_Hitman88

Comment

Originally posted by MileHighInNY View Post
          Your post is generally well-reasoned, but you can't seriously try to tell me that Laurence Maroney "carries" the Pats' offense... the running game is almost forgotten in that system, and Maroney has been next-to-worthless (at least stat-wise) this year--I know because I wasted my 1st round fantasy pick on him!
          For the most part I definately agree with you about Maroney. The reason I listed him is because although he is unproven, he has shown that he has the tools to be a franchise RB. But with Brady and that passing attack, he really hasn't been given a chance, and was injured early in the season.
          Go Selvin!

sigpic

Comment

Ok.. but lets be careful on who you label a franchise back.

Ryan Grant.... wasn't even the starter when going into the season, and was aquired by trade with the NYG, and this is his ROOKIE year. Meaning, he couldn't make the giants squad, the Packers were getting injuries left and right, and had to trade for a rookie RB. Grant is NOT a franchise back.

Willie Parker was an undrafted free agent. He's a stud, but he's not the example to use a top pick on a RB.

Maurice Jones-Drew was a second round pick as well. Although a first day pick, he wasn't their top pick taken.

We were leading the league in the NFL at rushing through 5 weeks before the injury to Travis Henry. Our offense, as a whole, is ranked 8th in yards per drive. So I don't think the need for a franchise RB is our BIGGEST need. We all want a stud RB, but thats not the position we need the most right now.. imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post

Ryan Grant.... wasn't even the starter when going into the season, and was aquired by trade with the NYG, and this is his ROOKIE year. Meaning, he couldn't make the giants squad, the Packers were getting injuries left and right, and had to trade for a rookie RB. Grant is NOT a franchise back.

Willie Parker was an undrafted free agent. He's a stud, but he's not the example to use a top pick on a RB.

Maurice Jones-Drew was a second round pick as well. Although a first day pick, he wasn't their top pick taken.

We were leading the league in the NFL at rushing through 5 weeks before the injury to Travis Henry. Our offense, as a whole, is ranked 8th in yards per drive. So I don't think the need for a franchise RB is our BIGGEST need. We all want a stud RB, but thats not the position we need the most right now.. imo.
              Okay Ravage, but I was really just listing the RBs for some of the big teams in the playoffs.

Ryan Grant is not a franchise back (he has carried the offense in a few games) and neither is Laurence Maroney, yet anyways. But they have great QBs and great receivers, so those two teams don't have to rely on their running games as much.

But as long as Mike Shanahan is the HC of Denver, we need a franchise running back. He is never going to build a pass-1st scheme, like Greenbay and New England. For the Broncos to succeed, they need a franchise back. Especially since he has the mindset that it doesn't matter who is back there, he will run on 1st down, 2nd down, and even on 3rd and long. We need that franchise guy so that our drives don't stall with that mindset, because Henry/Young just haven't gotten the job done when Shanahan is in his mood.
              Go Selvin!

sigpic

Comment

So this concept has suddenly hit me. This entire season, all of us at one point or another have criticized Shanahan for his play calling, where he will repeatedly run the ball in obvious situations, and his persistance to try to stuff the ball through the middle in the redzone, which failed 90% of the time this year. His plays are a major reason why our offense struggled putting points on the board, so why does he continue to do the same thing? It's because he expects too much from players like Travis Henry to punch the ball through the middle consistently.

The running game is what this offense is built around. When it struggles, the offense doesn't move the ball. Travis Henry had a good 1st few games on this team, but when the Broncos have been actual contenders, they had a back that did a lot more than gain 4-5 yards on inside runs. Henry is a guy that really frustrates me. He makes you think he is a good runner on one play, yet on the next run he gets tripped up by one defender who you would think would have no chance against Henry. Then he gets injured on every other play, and sits on the sideline while our offense needs him to finish the drive. What really bothers me most is that I think he gives up on plays. Henry will break a tackle on an outside run and sprint down the sideline, but when the corner/safety comes to tackle him, he doesn't give the same effort that allowed him to break the 1st tackle and he goes down easily. Stiff arm him or lower your shoulder at least! Just because you got past the first defender doesn't mean you can't do it again...

Which brings me to our need for a franchise running back. Henry is not it. He has strength, and that is about it. The Broncos need a guy that will drag guys through the middle, not get pushed back and thrown on their butts like the habit we are used to seeing with our runners. We need a RB that will break the 1st tackle on the outside, and have the speed and elusiveness to get down the sideline or break back into the middle for a huge gain. The Broncos need a RB that you don't have to worry about fumbling at any given moment (aka Henry).

All of these teams have RBs that can carry the offense. Travis Henry does not carry this team, and by no means can Selvin Young at this point in his career. A franchise RB can score at any moment and place on the field. I can't see Henry being capable of that title. Denver could be a deadly team if they could find that guy again, especially with the passing game that is developing with Cutler. I know I am missing something in this arguement...

All this is is taking the playoff contenders and naming their best RB.

Willie Parker, Laurence Maroney, and Ryan Grant are hardly franchise RB's at this point in their career. Please.

Barber doesn't start. Franchise RB's start on their team and are focal points of the offense. Barber is the best RB on his team, but he does neither.

AD/Peterson are a part of a 2 headed monster in a great rushing scheme. Mewelde Moore averages 5.0 ypc in that offense.

Jones drew and Fred Taylor are both franchise RB's? What?

For the last time, Henry has been playing with an injury that has sidelined players like Bush. We don't know what he can do. People want to give Champ Bailey a break for having an average year playing with a significant injury, but not a guy like Henry.

Not sure where you're going with this post. You've named 1 franchise RB at this point in Addai, and he wasn't even their best RB last year during the playoffs towards their SuperBowl run.

Comment

Okay Ravage, but I was really just listing the RBs for some of the big teams in the playoffs.

Ryan Grant is not a franchise back (he has carried the offense in a few games) and neither is Laurence Maroney, yet anyways. But they have great QBs and great receivers, so those two teams don't have to rely on their running games as much.

But as long as Mike Shanahan is the HC of Denver, we need a franchise running back. He is never going to build a pass-1st scheme, like Greenbay and New England. For the Broncos to succeed, they need a franchise back. Especially since he has the mindset that it doesn't matter who is back there, he will run on 1st down, 2nd down, and even on 3rd and long. We need that franchise guy so that our drives don't stall with that mindset, because Henry/Young just haven't gotten the job done when Shanahan is in his mood.
                  we pretty much have a 50-50 pass to rush ratio per game.... depending if we are behind in the game or not.

Comment

I think henry can do it,IF he can stay healthy and out of trouble, I remember on his nuts preseason to atleast week 5. This is when he looked Great and was the NFL leading rusher.

Comment

Franchise Backs

I would disagree with you Dodge. Our last franchise back was drafted in the 6th round. You can find backs anywhere! In fact, I would argue the days of one franchise back for a team are gone and have been gone for a while. IMO these are the team's with a "franchise back:"

Baltimore-McGahee (ARGUABLE)
                      Cincinatti-Rudi Johnson-NOT PLAYOFF BOUND
                      Chargers-L.T.
                      Washington-Portis-MAYBE PLAYOFF BOUND
                      St. Louis-Steven Jackson-NOT PLAYOFF BOUND
                      Seattle-Sean Alexander

Left off the list:
                      Cleveland-Jamal Lewis (one year there and not drafted by the team)
                      Buffalo-Marshawn Lynch (not proven)
                      K.C.-Larry Jonson (arguable either way)
                      Tampa Bay-Cadillac Williams (unjury prone?)

When you go through all 32 teams, you will see that most teams are employing a two back system to some degree. Teams realize you cannot hang your whole "offensive hat" on one player. The probability of injury at that position is high. If that player goes down, there is a good chance your season goes down too.

Peter King (though I can barely stand the guy) had a good article a while back on this very topic. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...rbs/index.html

You're right that the teams heading to the playoffs can run the ball. It is not because they have a franchise back though! I would argue they can run the ball and more importantly can stop the run. They can do that because they have solid lines on both sides of the ball.

Dallas went from three 5-11 seasons by using their last 4 1st round picks on the d-line or LB for 3-4. Houston has used their last 2 1st rounders on d-line studs. Cleveland is a completely different team after drafting Joe Thomas.

So while using a top pick on a big old lineman is not as sexy as a top flight RB, it is IMO how you turn a team around.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post

Agreed.

I don't believe Henry is the answer for this franchise. But I also have complete trust in Mike Shanahan when finding a running back that can carry the load. It's the one position he's had the most success with.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
                          All this is is taking the playoff contenders and naming their best RB.

Willie Parker, Laurence Maroney, and Ryan Grant are hardly franchise RB's at this point in their career. Please.

Barber doesn't start. Franchise RB's start on their team and are focal points of the offense. Barber is the best RB on his team, but he does neither.

AD/Peterson are a part of a 2 headed monster in a great rushing scheme. Mewelde Moore averages 5.0 ypc in that offense.

Jones drew and Fred Taylor are both franchise RB's? What?

For the last time, Henry has been playing with an injury that has sidelined players like Bush. We don't know what he can do. People want to give Champ Bailey a break for having an average year playing with a significant injury, but not a guy like Henry.

Not sure where you're going with this post. You've named 1 franchise RB at this point in Addai, and he wasn't even their best RB last year during the playoffs towards their SuperBowl run.
                          Would agree with you about Maroney and Grant, but cmon man Willie Parker was leading the league in rushing coming into this game and has had over 1200 yeards in the last three seasons. How is that not a franchise back?

Anyway, back to the original poster.

When healthy we have seen what Henry can do, if Henry returns healthy next year he is our main guy, but I would use him in a tandam with Young.
                          IMO this would give us our most effecitve ground game, look back on our 13-3year in 2005. We did not have "The Guy" or the "Franchise Back" we had a duo of MA and Tater and hell it worked very well giving us a top five rushing attack.

I think when Healthy, a duo of Henry and Young will outdue any possible "Franchise Back" that we could bring in. Its not time to panic, we are still in the top 10 in rushing in the NFL.

RB is not nearly our greatest need. I rank DT, OLB, FS and OG as greater needs before RB. A later round pick, maybe one of our 4th round picks could be used, or maybe Michael Turner exites me, but I would not in a minute draft a RB in the first round or get a RB in FA before those five needs are adressed in the draft of FA.

Comment

Maroney can't carry the offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockies24 View Post
                              Would agree with you about Maroney and Grant, but cmon man Willie Parker was leading the league in rushing coming into this game and has had over 1200 yeards in the last three seasons. How is that not a franchise back?
                              A franchise RB does everything and is the focal point of the offense. Stats isn't an indication, or else someone could argue that Justin Fargas is a franchise RB.

I also know a lot of Steelers fan that will tell you he isn't a franchise RB. Not yet in his career. Doesn't mean he isn't a very good RB.

Comment

Working...
                              X