Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broncos Need a Franchise RB to Succeed. Henry is Not That Guy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Name,

Michael Turner
    Co-founders of the

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mopatt24 View Post
      One Name,

Michael Turner
      Michael Turner = Tatum Bell

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
        Michael Turner = Tatum Bell
        yeah.. I'm with you here.

We heard all last season how we should have gotten Dominic Rhodes. How's he doing? I dont' think we need to go out and spend BIG money for a FA RB. Thats just asking for trouble, and spending too much money at one position.

I think the RBs we have are 'good enough' for now. Are they great. No, of course not. But when you can still perform,and you can still lead the league in rushing (when healthy)... its getting the job done.

Of course we would love to have another TD.... but we didn't spend a top pick to get TD either.

Comment

Running back not needed

While I agree a Portis type back is the best type for the system a RB should not be the main effort in the draft. In my opinion the tandum of Henry and Young will be fine next year. What won't be fine is the D. What the Defense needs is a good tackle, a middle linebacker, (that would allow DJ to move back to the outside, he's twice the player on the outside as anyone replacing him.) and two safeties are needed one to replace John when he retires, which should be soon. He's still a force in the running game but he's becoming a liabilty in the passing game. One will also be needed to take over for Abdulla, I haven't seen such a poor tackler since Kenoy Kennedy. Safeties need to actually use thier arms when they tackle. See Lynch tackle for example.

Comment

i agree

even with our line totally healthy you have to admit guys like griffin and the bells and droughns and all these bargain bin runners never looked as good as portis. portis closed out games and killed teams comeback chances by himself.

i don't like "good enough" anymore. it's not helping our young qb at all, either, forcing him to pass because all we do is get in third and long because our running backs are bleh. get this kid some help. i dunno how many times we handed it portis on third and 4 or even 5 and he battled, juked and dived for first downs, and that was 2 more min off the clock and 2 more minutes the other teams offense stayed cold.

i get the concept of late round backs affording us opportunities to upgrade quicker and more often than other teams who actually need to treat running backs like an important position, but maybe one of these years we need to do that just once. cause our entire offense has performed in the bargain bin, i think a franchise back could seriously help us in this time of need.

"good enough" may not do the job anymore
            Last edited by NinjaPirateFunk; 12-23-2007, 01:02 PM.
            Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
            Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks

Comment

but you have to make those decision when you are limited on players to get, players to draft, and money to spend.

Obviously everyone wants a GREAT player at every position, but you have to make decisions on what is "good enough for now" so that you can focus on the positions that are NOT good enough.

Denver is 8th in the NFL at yardage PER drive. This doesn't show me a team that isn't good on offense. This doesn't show me a team that is absolutely NEEDING a franchise back right now.

Comment

Originally posted by mopatt24 View Post
                One Name,

Michael Turner
                one word,

NO
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by silkamilkamonic View Post
                  A franchise RB does everything and is the focal point of the offense. Stats isn't an indication, or else someone could argue that Justin Fargas is a franchise RB.

I also know a lot of Steelers fan that will tell you he isn't a franchise RB. Not yet in his career. Doesn't mean he isn't a very good RB.
                  Parker, up until his injury did everything and WAS the focal point of their offense.

If Parker isn't a Franchise back with he has done in his past three years, then who is? I would say three years of over 1200 yards qualifys you as a franchise back, not many have done that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                    but you have to make those decision when you are limited on players to get, players to draft, and money to spend.

Obviously everyone wants a GREAT player at every position, but you have to make decisions on what is "good enough for now" so that you can focus on the positions that are NOT good enough.

Denver is 8th in the NFL at yardage PER drive. This doesn't show me a team that isn't good on offense. This doesn't show me a team that is absolutely NEEDING a franchise back right now.
                    Could not agree more.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post

that doesn't show me anything. it's just a stat that can be as misleading as most stats.

how many third and longs were we put in because one of our backs tip toed to the line, hit a lineman in the back and fell over? how many short yardage plays did we get stuffed on? i'm sure what contributes to our nice looking yards per drive number is the fact we're constantly starting from much further back than most other teams. the reason we need a superstar caliber back are reasons you don't see alot on stat sheets. the tough yards. the vision to see the open holes, the ability to make guys miss on their own the strength to actually push a pile. things that keep drives going but only show up as a gain of 1 on a stat sheet or 1 extra first down on a website.

i think we've gotten bargain bin'rs for so long, and have built up a team over a period of seasons so long that maybe we can afford to take a back high. we've got defensive linemen waiting to mature, and LB/DT can possibly be addressed through free agency. our only real flaw on offense is line, and i'm constantly told we just need to gel so we'll see about that. we need a punter but meh that's the least of our special teams worrries.

like i said in another topic, a franchise back can be the biggest contributor to our defense, in the way that if we get a guy who can get the tough yards, the tough first downs, it keeps our defense off the field. and can ultimately keep teams from running over us constantly if it improves our offense to the point where we can actually play with a lead often enough.

Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
                      Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks

Comment

Why give up on henry after one year like all the other backs i know he has had problems you dont have to remind me but i say we give him another year to get better maybe and prove he can be our back.
                        sigpicR.I.P Darrent Williams and Damien Nash
                        GO BRONCOS

Comment

I been saying this all year, with our system, we need another Terrell Davis type RB. Stick to what we know, strong run game and a big-arm QB. Focus on offense and the defense will follow. I think thats OUR recipe for success.

Travis Henry is not the answer
                          dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Return of Lava View Post
                            I been saying this all year, with our system, we need another Terrell Davis type RB. Stick to what we know, strong run game and a big-arm QB. Focus on offense and the defense will follow. I think thats OUR recipe for success.

Travis Henry is not the answer
                            exactly and like i've been saying, this is turning into an offensive league

Comment

mike could have done this last draft.we needed to make that deal with detriot work and we would be talking about Adrian Peterson from OKLAHOMA.not travis the dope smoker.
                              elway going to save the broncos again.yes!

Comment

Originally posted by horseplay View Post
                                mike could have done this last draft.we needed to make that deal with detriot work and we would be talking about Adrian Peterson from OKLAHOMA.not travis the dope smoker.
                                Yep and we wasted our 1st round pick on "Moss the Twig" and "Harris the Crippled". When we could have used those to trade up for "AD the freakin' beast". Our offense would likely of been unbeatable.
                                Go Selvin!
                                Shake and Bake All Day Long!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X