Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broncos Need a Franchise RB to Succeed. Henry is Not That Guy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Broncos could go in a multitude of directions on draft day....RB is one of them.

If they can work something out with Henry, keep him and Young (Who needs to bulk up) as a RB Committee that's fine, but it's still the least attractive option to me.

But you know what will happen, they'll most likely go into the season with Young as the starter, with some Noboby they drafted in the 6th round as a back up! And they'll be telling us all how great the two of them are.

And then in the 09 season, they'll be gone.

It's the same Song and Dance over and over and over and over.

But hey, I guess if you're going to insist on an offensive line that is populated with "Some 6th round Dude" talent, why bother with a franchise back?

They'll get to the 5 yard line and the franchise back will get stuck for a loss again......
    Last edited by stnzed; 12-23-2007, 04:04 PM.

Comment

"All of these teams have RBs that can carry the offense. Travis Henry does not carry this team, and by no means can Selvin Young at this point in his career. A franchise RB can score at any moment and place on the field. I can't see Henry being capable of that title. Denver could be a deadly team if they could find that guy again, especially with the passing game that is developing with Cutler. I know I am missing something in this arguement..."

I see your point but if selvin isnt ready then how is another rookie gunna be ready. Selvins never gunna be ready unless he bulks up a bit. Hes just to small for 25 carries a game and getting carries into the fourth quarter. I think weve learned from tatum bell. but on the same not travis cant do it all either we need someone in between the two extremes and we have to be consistent with that back they get 25 carries every game.. right now not a single person in the world even knows who are starter is it could be travis or selvin no one knows thats our problem weve got two extremes not the middle
      sigpic

Check out my NFL Draft website!

Comment

There are alot of ifs if we would have taken AP we would be unstopable yes but if we would have beat the bears and the raiders we could be going to the playoffs why think about what we could have done when its over Jarvis Moss is hurt but he looked like a beast when he played i say evaluate a little more of what we have got these next two games and go from there. Travis Henry was the leading rusher when he was healhty early maybe he is still a little banged up like shanny says "not in football shape" because of the injuries. In no way am I saying that Henry has played to his potential but when he does he is awesome dont just let him go after one season.
        sigpicR.I.P Darrent Williams and Damien Nash
        GO BRONCOS

Comment

I see what you mean we do need a Premier Back in our offense.

The thing is if we get that back we still need to fix the O-line and D-line before we can get more offensive tools.

If we score 25+ pts per game we gotta make sure that our Defense keeps our opponets down to 20ppg or less as well.

Also too the RB pool next year looks good as well so we can even a good Franchise RB next year if we cant get one this year.
          McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Rejoice Bronco Fans we have taken our team back, but at a heavy cost.

Comment

I don't think we wil draft a running back at all in the draft, at least not on the first day. but henry is still not playing healthy, and when he is matched up with our healthy o-line(hopefully nalen and hamliton come back) he's awesome! and throw a little Selvin Young in there and we could be one of the top 3 rushing teams. Due to our defense ALWAYS staying on third downs, it seems like were playing from behind in most games. so it seems like we can't spend the time to get our rushing game going. If we draft some d-lineman that can stop the run than that will let our linebackers free. and if we can put some freakin pressure on the qb we could be the best team in the NFL. we just need some lineman. thats all i want for christmas.

Comment

If you're looking for a franchise back I wouldn't say that Turner is an option, we're better off with Henry.

As for the draft, I don't see a RB being taken on day 1.

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                The Broncos could go in a multitude of directions on draft day....RB is one of them.

If they can work something out with Henry, keep him and Young (Who needs to bulk up) as a RB Committee that's fine, but it's still the least attractive option to me.

But you know what will happen, they'll most likely go into the season with Young as the starter, with some Noboby they drafted in the 6th round as a back up! And they'll be telling us all how great the two of them are.

And then in the 09 season, they'll be gone.

It's the same Song and Dance over and over and over and over.

But hey, I guess if you're going to insist on an offensive line that is populated with "Some 6th round Dude" talent, why bother with a franchise back?

They'll get to the 5 yard line and the franchise back will get stuck for a loss again......
                Actually, Mark Schlereth believes the problems with our redzone offense is our offensive line. He's stated on numerous occassions that Denver doesn't have physical, dominant guys up front, and that when they get down inside the 20 with a shorter field and area to work with, they can't make the blocks that need to be made in order for us to score. He's been stating for a few years now that he thinks the Broncos need to dump the zone-blocking scheme they've been utilizing for so many years and actually beef up the offensive line.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                  Actually, Mark Schlereth believes the problems with our redzone offense is our offensive line. He's stated on numerous occassions that Denver doesn't have physical, dominant guys up front, and that when they get down inside the 20 with a shorter field and area to work with, they can't make the blocks that need to be made in order for us to score. He's been stating for a few years now that he thinks the Broncos need to dump the zone-blocking scheme they've been utilizing for so many years and actually beef up the offensive line.
                  I don't understand why we can't have bigger, stronger linemen who can still zone block. The problem is that Shanahan clearly doesn't want to spend the first day picks it would take to make it happen.
                  Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by DancingHorsey View Post
                    I don't understand why we can't have bigger, stronger linemen who can still zone block. The problem is that Shanahan clearly doesn't want to spend the first day picks it would take to make it happen.
                    Smaller/quicker lineman work better for the scheme we run, that's the way it's been for some time.

p.s. Holland was brought in during the offseason who weighs around 320 and Harris weighs a bit over 300, our line has got some bigger players.
                    Last edited by The|Snake#16; 12-23-2007, 09:37 PM.

Sorry, you can not add yourself to your own ignore list.

Comment

Originally posted by DancingHorsey View Post
                      apparently its the size that utulizes the speed. We see that the master of the Zone blocking, no matter where he has gone, continue and use the smaller OL.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                        apparently its the size that utulizes the speed. We see that the master of the Zone blocking, no matter where he has gone, continue and use the smaller OL.
                        My point is that we can have relatively big linemen who are also mobile and capable of zone blocking. Of course that would require actually using relatively high picks, and Shanahan has made it clear he doesn't want to do that.

Team Tebow #108

Comment

Originally posted by The|Snake#16 View Post
                          Smaller/quicker lineman work better for the scheme we run, that's the way it's been for some time.

p.s. Holland was brought in during the offseason who weighs around 320 and Harris weighs a bit over 300, our line has got some bigger players.
                          I'm not saying I want bigger linemen simply because their bigger. What I really want is genuinely talented and powerful linemen who fit the zone-blocking scheme while also being good all-around linemen.

Team Tebow #108

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post

And Mark Schlereth would be 100% correct, imo, I've been whining about this for 7-8 years......

Well he's 99% correct, I see no reason a bigger, stronger, elite athlete can't excel in this zoneblocking system. (Actually, I've never heard Schlereth say Denver needs to dump this system)

I've just seen the Texans do it with bigger, stronger average athletes.

There is just no way you can convince me that Jordan Gross or Alan Faneca can't excel in this system......Stacey Andrews is an elite athlete and he'll come cheap, give him a shot......

Or Ryan Clady......Michael Oher......Tony Hills......Alex Boone......Jake Long......Heath Benedict is an elite athlete you can get later in the draft, but those are the picks Denver likes to save for the athletic 280LBer's......
                            Last edited by stnzed; 12-23-2007, 10:38 PM.

Comment

The draft is fairly deep at RB, you can rest assured that Shanny will get one.

Comment

Is everyone overlooking the obvious? Winning teams (aka playoff teams) don't have RB's that are new in town, in their first year, facing bogus drug charges, and running behind an o-line with 40% new players on it....thanks to injury. They have all the exact opposites of those things....AND they win.

Not to mention the worst defense in the NFL.....(Merry Christmas, Master Bates!!!)

Who knew?

RB is not our issue.

Having said that, if that kid from Illinois (rb) declares and is available.....pick him....he's special.

Comment

Working...
                                X