Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's say Shanahan retired. What Coach would you like as a replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's say Shanahan retired. What Coach would you like as a replacement?

For the sake of argument, let's say Shanahan retired. What Coach would you like as a replacement?

Now this isn't a "hate" Shanahan question, I just want to know what talent is available out there.

Thanks...

theres been talks of dalles' offensive coordinator
    Canadian broncos fan for life

Comment

Hmmm, that is easy. There is a ex- Steelers coach out there who recently won a Super Bowl::::::

Comment

First instinct is the contact Bill Cower and see if he'd be willing to come back this year for the opportunity to coach in Denver. Something in me says he was quick to say no to Atlanta only because well, it was Atlanta.

Other coaches among the before-mentioned:

Jason Garett: The former Cowboys quarterback and current coordinator would be nice if we were looking for a rookie-type Shannahan. Though Offensive-minded, I think a better comparison would be Kubiak because both are good with quarterbacks being that they both played the position. This would be a good decision with Culter in mind. But I'm not so sure it'd be a good team decision. I suppose it depends on what kind of defensive coordinator he could muster up, just like Shannahan.

Mike Singletary: Former Bears linebacker and current 49ers coach, he already has a HC position lined up at Baylor University, but would likely turn the ship around for an NFL head-coaching opportunity. The media hypes him up as having potential, but I don't put much into this guy.

Wild cards from the college ranks:

Jim Tressel: This guy is among the best in college, but the question will undoubtedly be asked: can he handle the jump to the NFL?

Pete Carroll: Having already coached in the NFL, but unsuccessfully, the same questions may be asked. But at least he has some credit to his name. The bump in the road here is, like Cower, he's expressed disinterest in moving back up the the NFL. Personally of the two, I'd rather have Tressel, anyway.

Keep in mind, guys, this thread asks if Shannahan retires whom could fill his spot. I personally, don't like some of the people listed, but they are the hot names thrown around a lot. The thing I'm stressing here is I'm not in the "fire Shannahan" bandwagon, and support him staying here. I think his real test will be next year, on if he can return to the playoffs or not. After next year I think the fans will know enough (though it may take another year for Bowen to take action).

Comment

Steal Kubiak back from the Texans!

Thank you Skywalker for the Marshall sig!
          sigpic

Thank you Damien and Darrent for the memories. You will never be forgotten!

Comment

Not Bill Cowher. He would implement a running scheme and take the ball out of Cutler's hands. I don't want to watch boring Denver Bronco football, especially when we have a young gunslinger at the helm.

If they go with a young coordinator, I would want it to be a defensive minded guy. Not offensive, and not the guy from Dallas. I wouldn't be completely opposed to Mike Singletary.

I support Shanahan, and I always have. But I seriously think he should be given one year left. If he doesn't field a competitive team next year, he should be gone. It's not the fact that Denver's been losing, but how they lose. They get their a-- knocked around. I don't care what anyone says, but so much of that is in fact on the coaching staff, and it starts with the head coach.

Comment

Cowher would be a great choice for any team that lacks heart and toughness, which describes the Broncos perfectly.

I vote Cowher for his experience and ability to get the most out of his players.
              C'mon, he went to a super bowl with Neil freakin O'donnell as his QB!

Comment

Originally posted by bucking bronco View Post
                C'mon, [Cower] went to a super bowl with Neil freakin O'donnell as his QB!
                And Lovie Smith went to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman at quarterback.

You made some fair points, but Given what Silk said, I'd have to agree I wouldn't want Cower for fear that he'd hold Jay back in favor of a power running game.

Comment

Originally posted by deer_dance9 View Post
                  theres been talks of dalles' offensive coordinator

End of thread.

Like Bill Parcells said, "coaching is a young mans game". Time to get our Dinosaur and his barbaric playcalling out of here and let a young freash mind have a shot.

And for those of you that say Kubiak? ROFL why even get rid of Shanny if you would go that route....

Time for a change people trust me the world will not end if Shanny leaves, I promise.

Comment

I tried this question a couple times and people just got their panties in a twist so I'm glad yours is getting some replies.

If it's at the end of the contract, or Bowlen could manuever him away, I like Jeff Fisher's coaching a lot.

Others:
                    Singletary
                    Chuckie
                    Cowher
                    Shottenhiemer (with an aggressive OC)

Basically, I want someone who seems to have a "get up in your grill" attitude.
                    Last edited by bronco1263; 12-25-2007, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maharishineo View Post
                      And Lovie Smith went to the Super Bowl with Rex Grossman at quarterback.

You made some fair points, but Given what Silk said, I'd have to agree I wouldn't want Cower for fear that he'd hold Jay back in favor of a power running game.
                      I really wouldnt give a flip if Cutler only threw 15 times a game as long as Denver won! If Cutler is a team player I dont think he'd care either.

Comment

RYAN... Defensive COORD from Balt...

Comment

shanny is not going anywhere and he deserves the benefit of the doubt to right this sinking ship, if he cant do so in the next couple years he will be gone... that being said to entertain myself and you guys i would like to see the following...

jason garrett- young guy that is offensive oriented, reminds me of a young shanny

**** vermil- say what u want but he is a good coach that players respect and love playing for

mike martz- he would let cutler air the ball out, though im not a big fan of him, he would maximize jay's potential

there are more but that was just off the top of my head.. i wouldnt want cowher though

Comment

Originally posted by ArchAngel View Post
                            I really wouldnt give a flip if Cutler only threw 15 times a game as long as Denver won! If Cutler is a team player I dont think he'd care either.
                            well said. I'd rather see Cutler have 20 quality throwing opportunites instead of 35, Holy Crap, I gotta make something happen now before I get creamed again, chances.

Comment

If Shanahan were to retire, I think the Broncos could be on a very long road back to a championship team. We'd basically have 3 options for a new head coach, and NONE are very appealing:

1. Hire some retread - Mike Martz (mentioned earlier) is an example. Or Ray Sherman. Or Jim Haslett. Marty 'I can't win in the postseaon' Shottenhiemer. Or any of a number of uninspiring choices. No one could seriously be excited about someone like that.

2. Hire the Next Great Young Up and Comer. Who, exactly, is the Next Great Up and Comer? Jason Garrett? Maybe. Mike Singleterry? Maybe. Some college coach? Maybe. The point is - that's a lot of 'maybes'. How many 'Next Great Up and Comers' are out there every year at this time that will be gone in 2-3 years because they couldn't cut it? Do you really want to take a chance you'll be stuck on that coaching treadmill for the next decade? (See: Raiders, Oakland/LA. Bengals, Cincy. Cardinals, AZ. Or, for a local flair, anyone remember what happend when the Nuggets got rid of a pretty decent coach about 15 years ago?)

3. Hire a guy with a proven record ready to get back into the game. Bill Cowher seems to be about the only one that fits here (assuming he's ready to get back in now). But, does his style fit at all with the current Broncos? It will be years for him to rebuild the offensive line to play his power running game. He'll need a power runner. It will take years to build, likely, a 3-4 defense. Hire Cowher and we're probably looking at a complete overhaul - stripping down to bare bones next year and building over a 3-4 year+ time period. Fans here can't even take ONE year of rebuilding.

Comment

Working...
                              X