Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to fix the team? Start with the O-line...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to fix the team? Start with the O-line...

I know they've had some injury problems this season, but man they are awful. Look at all of the great teams out there now... NE, Colts, Dallas.... they all have solid OL play. Shanny, fix the OL and watch the offense change before your very eyes. The scoring in the red zone issue will go away.

Oh yeah... Fix the Defense and Special Teams also. And get rid of Henry. He makes too much money and has never played 16 games in a season... and never will.
    Superbowl 50 Champs!

When Sam Brandan comes back it will solve half our defensive problems.Two seasons without Sam really hurt our defense

I agree,we need some OL and DL

Comment

Originally posted by JrtheFreak View Post
      I know they've had some injury problems this season, but man they are awful. Look at all of the great teams out there now... NE, Colts, Dallas.... they all have solid OL play. Shanny, fix the OL and watch the offense change before your very eyes. The scoring in the red zone issue will go away.

Oh yeah... Fix the Defense and Special Teams also. And get rid of Henry. He makes too much money and has never played 16 games in a season... and never will.
      We do need to improve the OL, but I think we should go with some FA to fix that, and get the best available player in the draft.

Comment

OL is defiantely a need, look at all the good teams, Colts, Pats, do you EVER see Brady or Manning touched?

Comment

Sorry guys, but Cutler is the problem

Like all true fans, I accept that we have to take the team's defeats with as much grace as we accept their victories. It has nonetheless been a painful experience watching the Broncos play this year, and I have at times dispaired of their inadequate performance.

Living in England as I do, I can only get to see the Broncos play now and then, so haven't seen all of their games this year. I have, however, been lucky enough to watch them play Detroit, Oakland and San Diego, and will be at this Sunday's match against the Vikings. In all three games that I have watched so far, my conclusion is that the offense has clearly struggled to find space and catch the ball, and the defense has left gaps or been over-whelmed meaning that Jay Cutler has been exposed and sacked far too many times. Despite all of this, I have concluded that Jay Cutler simply isn't up to the job that is being asked of him, and it is here that I place much of the blame. At San Diego, for example, he seemed unable to spot players that had found space, or he threw the ball too high or not high enough, and was blind to other opportunities. He also seems incapable of doing his job within the box, appearing far too keen to leave it. All of this signals that the guy lacks the bravery necessary to stand his ground (mind you, I wouldn't have the nerve either), possibly because his defensive team are incapable of giving him the protection he needs. In short, the team needs a new QB, simple as that.

If anyone is interested in meeting for a beer before/after the Vikings game, let me know. Otherwise, I am resigned to another thrashing by Minesota and look forward to a happier 2008 season.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesGU4 View Post
            Like all true fans, I accept that we have to take the team's defeats with as much grace as we accept their victories. It has nonetheless been a painful experience watching the Broncos play this year, and I have at times dispaired of their inadequate performance.

Living in England as I do, I can only get to see the Broncos play now and then, so haven't seen all of their games this year. I have, however, been lucky enough to watch them play Detroit, Oakland and San Diego, and will be at this Sunday's match against the Vikings. In all three games that I have watched so far, my conclusion is that the offense has clearly struggled to find space and catch the ball, and the defense has left gaps or been over-whelmed meaning that Jay Cutler has been exposed and sacked far too many times. Despite all of this, I have concluded that Jay Cutler simply isn't up to the job that is being asked of him, and it is here that I place much of the blame. At San Diego, for example, he seemed unable to spot players that had found space, or he threw the ball too high or not high enough, and was blind to other opportunities. He also seems incapable of doing his job within the box, appearing far too keen to leave it. All of this signals that the guy lacks the bravery necessary to stand his ground (mind you, I wouldn't have the nerve either), possibly because his defensive team are incapable of giving him the protection he needs. In short, the team needs a new QB, simple as that.

If anyone is interested in meeting for a beer before/after the Vikings game, let me know. Otherwise, I am resigned to another thrashing by Minesota and look forward to a happier 2008 season.
            Wow, you think its Cutler? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that makes me laugh

You obviously haven't been a Broncos fan long, I know I shouldn't compare them, but when Elway was first a Bronco, didn't go well his first few years, look how that turned out........
            Last edited by HuskerBronco7; 12-26-2007, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Yikes...um, I am not sure I can even comment...this is just the most mindboggling post to date! Stay in England and watch NFL Europe...maybe eventually you will get the point of American Football! "God save the Queen, and all that stuff!'

Comment

Originally posted by lancane View Post
                Yikes...um, I am not sure I can even comment...this is just the most mindboggling post to date! Stay in England and watch NFL Europe...maybe eventually you will get the point of American Football! "God save the Queen, and all that stuff!'

I agree, this post boggles me a bit. The one thing that I feel really good about are our young offensive skill players, especially Cutler. The games he suggested were not games that he played well, but still I have watched every game this year and I don't have any doubts about Cutler anymore. Could he still not work out? Yes its possible, but I seriously doubt it. I think he has learned the system fairly quickly to this point which shows good intelligence, he has shown toughness to play while injured and a good enough scrambling ability to get out of the pocket when needed. Not to mention his great arm combined with his accuracy.

I feel pretty high on Marshall as well, but his attitude scares me a bit.

At least he better be wrong because I got a Cutler Jersery for christmas figuring he would be here for a long time!

Comment

Living in England as I do, I can only get to see the Broncos play now and then, so haven't seen all of their games this year. I have, however, been lucky enough to watch them play Detroit, Oakland and San Diego, and will be at this Sunday's match against the Vikings. In all three games that I have watched so far, my conclusion is that the offense has clearly struggled to find space and catch the ball, and the defense has left gaps or been over-whelmed meaning that Jay Cutler has been exposed and sacked far too many times. Despite all of this, I have concluded that Jay Cutler simply isn't up to the job that is being asked of him, and it is here that I place much of the blame. At San Diego, for example, he seemed unable to spot players that had found space, or he threw the ball too high or not high enough, and was blind to other opportunities. He also seems incapable of doing his job within the box, appearing far too keen to leave it. All of this signals that the guy lacks the bravery necessary to stand his ground (mind you, I wouldn't have the nerve either), possibly because his defensive team are incapable of giving him the protection he needs. In short, the team needs a new QB,
                  Cutler is not the problem

Comment

Well. I think this post does illustrate that you haven't seen very many Bronco games. I'd even go as far to say, that you aren't a bronco fan, but merely a troll, pretending to be one, so that you can state smack about Cutler.

Because there isn't a single thing in your post that is true. Either that, or perhaps you are confused on the rules of American football.

Comment

Looking at the games that you have watched, I can see why you may have those thoughts, but let me assure you, Jay Cutler is not the problem.

He is a QB you build a team around. He has made some incredible throws this year. This is especially impressive considering his main receiver is a 1 year vet who only played a few games this year.

Look at Marshalls stats. Now what the stats don’t tell you is how many of those catches were in traffic, covered, and a perfectly thrown laser right to Marshall’s hands kept a drive alive.

Cutler is a young QB and has some young QB struggles to be sure, but his progress this year has been very, very impressive, including a 4 TD dominating game against KC.

Comment

Originally posted by lancane View Post

Give him a break, if you've ever tried learning the game outside of the US you'd know it's difficult. It took me 5 years to get fully acquainted with all the nuances of the sport and I started when we had one, maybe two NFL games televised a week (and I didn't have Sky so I couldn't watch them).

I think the biggest problem with the OLine has been continuity and lack of leadership. Changes on the OL are almost always difficult, moreso in this system than most other teams because the movement needs to be concerted and precise. When you lose two of your veteran interior starters (including the line's leader) alongside having a new starter at RG and an RT whose only NFL experience has been at LT...well. You get the picture. The OL is a tight knit unit....plug and play is not conducive to a high level of performance there. I'm up for maybe replacing one starter from this year on the line because it's clear that the line is undergoing a slightly painful transition. We've got to set an OL core and stick with it.
                        sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Stop knee jerking over some idiot that thinks it's Jay's fault for the reason the Broncos suck, and get back to the point. I agree with the original post in that we need to focus on the O-line. There's a ton of talented offensive lineman coming into this draft and we need to jump on the opportunity. We need real OT's, and this is the year.

Comment

I'd almost advocate bringing in an OT to replace Lepsis who's definitely dropped a tier since his surgery. Of course that leaves Harris out in the wilderness a bit. The biggest problem about drafting OL in the system is of course the fact that they usually take a year or two to pick up the system. There are anomalies (Nalen and Pears) but you can't count on it.
                            sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Originally posted by muse View Post
                              Give him a break, if you've ever tried learning the game outside of the US you'd know it's difficult. It took me 5 years to get fully acquainted with all the nuances of the sport and I started when we had one, maybe two NFL games televised a week (and I didn't have Sky so I couldn't watch them).

I think the biggest problem with the OLine has been continuity and lack of leadership. Changes on the OL are almost always difficult, moreso in this system than most other teams because the movement needs to be concerted and precise. When you lose two of your veteran interior starters (including the line's leader) alongside having a new starter at RG and an RT whose only NFL experience has been at LT...well. You get the picture. The OL is a tight knit unit....plug and play is not conducive to a high level of performance there. I'm up for maybe replacing one starter from this year on the line because it's clear that the line is undergoing a slightly painful transition. We've got to set an OL core and stick with it.
                              No, no, no...the problem with our offensive line is they were put together for a different style of quarterback! Lepsis is not a true tackle but an overweight tight end who was converted to tackle. He did well, and looked impressive with a more mobile quarterback in Plummer, Foster who was a good pass blocker but did not really fit the run scheme and would be better fitted to Cutler...but that is spilt milk. Hamilton, Myers, Nalen and Lepsis are really the players who do not fit, Nalen I think is just worn or otherwise I think he is still one of the best overall centers...Myers is too light and cannot sustain a block for a great pocket, plus he does not demand any double teams like Nalen has and can, Kuper will be a good guard and may eventaully be moved to the left, but right now he is nowhere good enough, Pears or Harris will do fine at right tackle depending on which can win in competition for the spot, and as long as they learn to follow through with their blocks and use their feet to better hold off the rush longer...it is the center position to the left I see the issue! We need a big dominant blindside protector for Cutler, same with the left guard spot...if the right is weaker it is alright because he has better vision of that side and can avoid a linemen's boo-boo, but not when he can not see it!

We need a future center, a stud left guard and a stud left tackle and the rest will play out fine!

Comment

Working...
                              X