Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to fix the team? Start with the O-line...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure with that, I wouldn't necessarily say the line was put together for a different QB...if you remember we took Greg Eslinger at the same time as Kuper. He definitely wasn't a short term prospect yet was a pipsqueak with great technique...a typical Bronco draftee. Hey, we also took Ben Hamilton during the Brian-the-Tortoise era. Also look at our recent OL signings/draftings (although I will bear in mind that some of them were taken due to there not being a lot of choice on the FA market): Apart from Holland, we've not taken anyone pwoper beastly. Are they bigger? Yes, probably averaging 10-20lbs more since the Gibbs days, but that's pretty much the rate of inflation of linemen in the last 10 years. Even now we're not really looking at players much over 300lbs. So I'm interested to see how the management's going to play this one and to what extent we'll settle on the current crop. I personally like Myers and Kuper but the line as a whole probably need to get some strength conditioning in.

I agree with your point on Lepsis though..getting a "proper" LT is a priority. He did us a good service for a while though, it must be said.
    Last edited by muse; 12-27-2007, 02:28 PM.
    sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Originally posted by muse View Post
      I'm not sure with that, I wouldn't necessarily say the line was put together for a different QB...if you remember we took Greg Eslinger at the same time as Kuper. He definitely wasn't a short term prospect yet was a pipsqueak with great technique...a typical Bronco draftee. Hey, we also took Ben Hamilton during the Brian-the-Tortoise era. Also look at our recent OL signings/draftings (although I will bear in mind that some of them were taken due to there not being a lot of choice on the FA market): Apart from Holland, we've not taken anyone pwoper beastly. Are they bigger? Yes, probably averaging 10-20lbs more since the Gibbs days, but that's pretty much the rate of inflation of linemen in the last 10 years. Even now we're not really looking at players much over 300lbs. So I'm interested to see how the management's going to play this one and to what extent we'll settle on the current crop. I personally like Myers and Kuper but the line as a whole probably need to get some strength conditioning in.

I agree with your point on Lepsis though..getting a "proper" LT is a priority. He did us a good service for a while though, it must be said.
      Eslinger was taken as were most others as a prospect, not often is your center bigger then your guards or tackles, they are usually more mobile being the number one protector of the quarterback. Hamilton was taken because our run game was the bread and butter of our offense, Brian was a good quarterback who lacked what it would take to be great, but we were more dominant in the run game then, then we are now. I think Kuper may still become a good overall offensive guard, right now though he is better slated to compete and remain on the right. Holland could challenge him, but it still leaves the center, left guard and left tackle open...Hamilton is a short-term answer to the center spot if he is switched to the position. Leaving the left guard spot wide open, a need for a future starter at center and as we agreed a monster left tackle.

I am hoping Denver trades down in the first round to nab more picks...but if we stay I think we target Clady from Boise State to man the left tackle spot...a plus would be signing Ryan Lilja from Indianapolis to man the left guard position and draft a latter round center like Wallace from Texas A&M to learn the scheme and eventually replace Hamilton or Nalen, either way the left side and maybe center are the weakest areas.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesGU4 View Post
        Like all true fans, I accept that we have to take the team's defeats with as much grace as we accept their victories. It has nonetheless been a painful experience watching the Broncos play this year, and I have at times dispaired of their inadequate performance.

Living in England as I do, I can only get to see the Broncos play now and then, so haven't seen all of their games this year. I have, however, been lucky enough to watch them play Detroit, Oakland and San Diego, and will be at this Sunday's match against the Vikings. In all three games that I have watched so far, my conclusion is that the offense has clearly struggled to find space and catch the ball, and the defense has left gaps or been over-whelmed meaning that Jay Cutler has been exposed and sacked far too many times. Despite all of this, I have concluded that Jay Cutler simply isn't up to the job that is being asked of him, and it is here that I place much of the blame. At San Diego, for example, he seemed unable to spot players that had found space, or he threw the ball too high or not high enough, and was blind to other opportunities. He also seems incapable of doing his job within the box, appearing far too keen to leave it. All of this signals that the guy lacks the bravery necessary to stand his ground (mind you, I wouldn't have the nerve either), possibly because his defensive team are incapable of giving him the protection he needs. In short, the team needs a new QB, simple as that.

If anyone is interested in meeting for a beer before/after the Vikings game, let me know. Otherwise, I am resigned to another thrashing by Minesota and look forward to a happier 2008 season.
        You saw Cutler's 3 worst performances this season. If you can get ahold of a copy of the recent Chiefs game, I think that would change your mind about Cutler.

Trust a guys who's watched every game this year, Cutler IS the future here and definately NOT the problem.

Comment

He also seems incapable of doing his job within the box, appearing far too keen to leave it. All of this signals that the guy lacks the bravery necessary to stand his ground (mind you, I wouldn't have the nerve either), possibly because his defensive team are incapable of giving him the protection he needs.
          I think someone needs to dig up some old Vandy film when talking about Cutler lacking the bravery!!

Gosh let's get the oline and dline fixed. Then the Broncos can progress forward.
          As the great divide in America continues we are causing harm to our future generations by avoiding what needs to be done.

More people recognize Britney Spears than Dick Cheney.

Comment

Originally posted by lancane View Post
            Eslinger was taken as were most others as a prospect, not often is your center bigger then your guards or tackles, they are usually more mobile being the number one protector of the quarterback. Hamilton was taken because our run game was the bread and butter of our offense, Brian was a good quarterback who lacked what it would take to be great, but we were more dominant in the run game then, then we are now. I think Kuper may still become a good overall offensive guard, right now though he is better slated to compete and remain on the right. Holland could challenge him, but it still leaves the center, left guard and left tackle open...Hamilton is a short-term answer to the center spot if he is switched to the position. Leaving the left guard spot wide open, a need for a future starter at center and as we agreed a monster left tackle.

I am hoping Denver trades down in the first round to nab more picks...but if we stay I think we target Clady from Boise State to man the left tackle spot...a plus would be signing Ryan Lilja from Indianapolis to man the left guard position and draft a latter round center like Wallace from Texas A&M to learn the scheme and eventually replace Hamilton or Nalen, either way the left side and maybe center are the weakest areas.
            I'm just wondering what the management plan to do with Harris. I hope his surgery won't hamper his development too much (after all, he would've sat this year in any event). If he does recover, where does he challenge? After all he is a "natural" LT although not a beasty one that we'd prefer. I confess I know very little about college players until around March or so...which LTs would be the best tradeoff 'twixt atheleticism and size? Will they be able to pick up the zone blocking system easily? I don't know...I'd be more keen on bringing in a veteran there due to the development time but the draft may - in the long run - be the best option.

I'm still personally pulling for Myers...his versatility will probably keep him on the roster even if he is on the bubble. Not to mention that he has, de facto, assumed leadership on the OL and to be honest this team needs all the leadership it can get. I hope he can make it back next year as a starter (if he can build up some strength).

Next year will definitely be another transition year for the OL, there's almost no doubt about it. If Nalen does stick around then that'd make things a little more painless. I personally could take or leave Hamilton...he's a decent player with good versatility but he's been crocked quite a bit in recent years and I'm not too sure how he'd fit in with the long term plans. The line next year will probably fare best if we can distribute the inexperienced evenly I guess (if that makes sense). Plus having Danny Graham massively helps the pass protection (I think people are starting to realise this now).

In the end I'm not an advocate for massive change. But I'm very interested to see how this one pans out. Although the line as is will be shuffled around I'm going to be watching carefully as to who develops into a standout and who develops into the Carlisle type. As technicians, the line are pretty good; they just need muscle. I find it quite scary how linemen are getting bigger and bigger but that's another discussion altogether
            sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Working...
            X