The Offensive Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Offensive Line

I was thinking about the guys we have starting right now....

Chris Myers - Drafted 6th round, in his 3rd year, not much starting XP yet
    Chris Kuper - Drafted in 5th round, only in second year
    Erik Pears - College free agent, in second year
    Matt Lepsis - Rookie Free Agent in 97
    Montrae Holland - Free agent in his 5th year, first year with Broncs

So, of these guys, only Lepsis has been around for a while and I think he has proven he is good.

What do we make of the rest of them? Do they have the potentional to be pretty good or are they stop gaps until we get some guys back from Injuries?

I have a hard time evaluating O linemen, but from what I have seen from this group this year they have been inconsistent, pretty good some games and not so good others. I do think they need to get better at pass protection though.

Also, Is Ryan Harris a good prospect to start soon? Haven't heard a thing about him.

we need to address the offensive line in a major way, while we have had injuries this year they have looked totally pathetic the last several games, and though lepsis played ok this year and hamilton and nalen are both on the shelf, they are not getting any younger and its time to make the transition.... u cant have rookie free agents and 5th round picks protecting your million dollar investment and future in cutler, or he will never make it

Comment

I think it's pretty obvious that the O-line needs a refreshment of new talent. If you watch the games closely, you will see there are few times that we can run straight on at ANY line and make holes happen. This is a problem for the whole offense, as the ability to make short yardage gains is poor. All they have to do is play the run and we crumble.
      Stats show our 3rd down made is poor % wise and our time of posession is definitely bottom third of the league.
      What keeps the Offense on the field is the ability of the line to do its job in holding off the attack, and open holes to move the chains.

I think we are nicely set up with RB, and QB, with TE in good shape.
      The WR could use a shot of talent and the major infusion of talent needs to be on the O-line- as it did before the draft, and the draft before that, and before that... and so on.

I am jaded in my opinion on this subject anyway because I have always fully believed a lot of ills can be rectified by having a dominant and overpowering offensive line.
      I am pretty sure this batch is not what will get us there. That is from what we have seen so far. We need a whole line of nasty attituded O-Linemen.
      If you're going to lack size and strength, you have to have a larger than normal heart and attitude to make up the difference.
      I don't see that from anybody on the line at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Apples View Post
        I think it's pretty obvious that the O-line needs a refreshment of new talent. If you watch the games closely, you will see there are few times that we can run straight on at ANY line and make holes happen. This is a problem for the whole offense, as the ability to make short yardage gains is poor. All they have to do is play the run and we crumble.
        Stats show our 3rd down made is poor % wise and our time of posession is definitely bottom third of the league.
        What keeps the Offense on the field is the ability of the line to do its job in holding off the attack, and open holes to move the chains.

I think we are nicely set up with RB, and QB, with TE in good shape.
        The WR could use a shot of talent and the major infusion of talent needs to be on the O-line- as it did before the draft, and the draft before that, and before that... and so on.

I am jaded in my opinion on this subject anyway because I have always fully believed a lot of ills can be rectified by having a dominant and overpowering offensive line.
        I am pretty sure this batch is not what will get us there. That is from what we have seen so far. We need a whole line of nasty attituded O-Linemen.
        If you're going to lack size and strength, you have to have a larger than normal heart and attitude to make up the difference.
        I don't see that from anybody on the line at this point.
        I agree that the front office needs to invest some higher picks (higher than the fourth round) to improve the size of our O-line. There are linemen that have both the size and athletecism to excel in the Broncos zone blocking scheme and yet offer more physical play in short yardage and in pocket protection. However, they tend to only appear in the first and second rounds of the draft.

I am of the opinion that having no single lineman that has played next to the man he starts beside this year has been a huge factor in their lack of consistancy. To pass judgement on their ability to play based solely upon this second half of the season isn't IMO valid.

It is unclear whether our Notre Dame tackle selection was a hit or a miss. He injured his back. Is it healed? He didn't play even though Pears (Lepsis to a lesser degree) has struggled. . . but then Denver linemen tend to always spend their first year watching.

Who will be back next year. . . Nalen? Hamilton? Both? Neither?

Comment

Originally posted by Dean View Post
          I agree that the front office needs to invest some higher picks (higher than the fourth round) to improve the size of our O-line. There are linemen that have both the size and athletecism to excel in the Broncos zone blocking scheme and yet offer more physical play in short yardage and in pocket protection. However, they tend to only appear in the first and second rounds of the draft.

I am of the opinion that having no single lineman that has played next to the man he starts beside this year has been a huge factor in their lack of consistancy. To pass judgement on their ability to play based solely upon this second half of the season isn't IMO valid.

It is unclear whether our Notre Dame tackle selection was a hit or a miss. He injured his back. Is it healed? He didn't play even though Pears (Lepsis to a lesser degree) has struggled. . . but then Denver linemen tend to always spend their first year watching.

Who will be back next year. . . Nalen? Hamilton? Both? Neither?
          Yea that's the thing, seems like the really good offensive linemen get taken real early in the draft and then im not sure its worth a 1st round pick to go after the left overs. So, what Im wondering is does the current group have the ability to be good if they play together more? Hard to tell at this point. After all, neither Nalen or Lepsis were high draft picks and they both have been very good in their careers.

Im wondering if Nalen will be back and play at a high level again, he is 36 years old so can't see much more out of him. Is Ben Hamilton going to play again? I think he was decent when healthy.

I will be curious to see if we make any moves at the O line this off season.

you make a good point about the fact that none of these guys have played together before, so it seems like they can only get better. (I hope)

Comment

I don't think an overhaul is the answer...the OL is definitely not a "plug-and-play" position at all. Chemistry, experience and familiarity are the most important things. Whilst we do need some help, I wouldn't really want more than one new starter in next season simply because we need continuity there.
            sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Originally posted by muse View Post
              I don't think an overhaul is the answer...the OL is definitely not a "plug-and-play" position at all. Chemistry, experience and familiarity are the most important things. Whilst we do need some help, I wouldn't really want more than one new starter in next season simply because we need continuity there.
              I tend to agree with you here....

Im hoping we get Nalen and Hamilton back next year.

Then we have Nalen, Hamilton, Lepsis and the next 2 best starting. Hopefully Nalen has 1 more year left or Myers works out at center.

Comment

We need to draft a guy like Chris Williams at Vandy. Kiper has him as the 3rd best lineman at Left tackle.

He has given up just one sack. And that is in the SEC

Ben will not be back. He has some serious problems with the effects of the concussion or what it is a bruised brain.

Can you blame him. There is life after football and one more hit could mess him up. We don't want that for any of our players.

----------------------------------------------
                I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

I'm not so convinced by Lepsis at this point, he's nowhere near his level in 05 (although I will cut him some slack given that he's had surgery). I'm also willing to give Pears a longer leash considering that, although RT is his primary spot, all his experience last season was at LT and he's effectively been playing as a rookie at RT.
                  sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Losing Carlisle to the Raiders, Hamilton,and Nalen to Injury was big losses to our OL this season.We did good considering the losses we suffured this season.Their is always other seasons to win.Next season we will be back

Comment

Nalen won't be back either...

so Nalen gone Hamilton gone lepsis probably gone...we have to draft OL

we could just draft a DT and all OL and I would be fine

Comment

Originally posted by svpearson View Post
                        I was thinking about the guys we have starting right now....

Chris Myers - Drafted 6th round, in his 3rd year, not much starting XP yet
                        Chris Kuper - Drafted in 5th round, only in second year
                        Erik Pears - College free agent, in second year
                        Matt Lepsis - Rookie Free Agent in 97
                        Montrae Holland - Free agent in his 5th year, first year with Broncs

So, of these guys, only Lepsis has been around for a while and I think he has proven he is good.

What do we make of the rest of them? Do they have the potentional to be pretty good or are they stop gaps until we get some guys back from Injuries?

I have a hard time evaluating O linemen, but from what I have seen from this group this year they have been inconsistent, pretty good some games and not so good others. I do think they need to get better at pass protection though.

Also, Is Ryan Harris a good prospect to start soon? Haven't heard a thing about him.
                        When you look at how we acquired all these players, it really shouldn't be a surprise that our line sucks. You can't expect to build a great o-line with 5th round, 6th round, and undrafted players. You just can't.
                        Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by DancingHorsey View Post
                          When you look at how we acquired all these players, it really shouldn't be a surprise that our line sucks. You can't expect to build a great o-line with 5th round, 6th round, and undrafted players. You just can't.
                          Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't 2 of the key guys on the 97 and 98 superbowl teams drafted in the 5th round or later? I think Nalen was like 7th round and Lepsis 5th, and weren't they part of that line?

Comment

Originally posted by svpearson View Post
                            Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't 2 of the key guys on the 97 and 98 superbowl teams drafted in the 5th round or later? I think Nalen was like 7th round and Lepsis 5th, and weren't they part of that line?
                            I said you can't expect it. Just like you can't expect to get another TD in the sixth round.
                            Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

lepsis is past due, as is kuper and even pears, we need bigger line to protect cutler and open lanes.
                              i do not want hamilton to come back and i personally want him to stay away to avoid further damageand be with his family(there is life after football if u leave when u should). i do hope nalen comes back but if not i do feel confident with meyers at center.

I like Ryan Clady to replace lepsis, and John Greco from the draft to replace kuper, as well as harris to replace pears if his back is fine, i think holland and meyers are fine where they are. and do whatever it takes to keep daniel graham here!!!!! im glad we payed him the big bucks

Draft: Ryan Clady OT, (BOISE ST) & John Greco OL (Toledo)
                              start Ryan harris, meyers if nalen is gone, and holland!

LT- Ryan Clady
                              LG- John Greco
                              C- Nalen if he returns or chris meyers
                              RG- Holland
                              RT - Ryan Harris or (This is where we should bring a FA in)

mix that line with daniel grahm, and owen schmidt a great blocking FB from west virginia and we have ourselves a line that could be dominating once again

Comment

Working...
                              X