The Offensive Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elevation INC View Post
    lepsis is past due, as is kuper and even pears, we need bigger line to protect cutler and open lanes.
    i do not want hamilton to come back and i personally want him to stay away to avoid further damageand be with his family(there is life after football if u leave when u should). i do hope nalen comes back but if not i do feel confident with meyers at center.

I like Ryan Clady to replace lepsis, and John Greco from the draft to replace kuper, as well as harris to replace pears if his back is fine, i think holland and meyers are fine where they are. and do whatever it takes to keep daniel graham here!!!!! im glad we payed him the big bucks

Draft: Ryan Clady OT, (BOISE ST) & John Greco OL (Toledo)
    start Ryan harris, meyers if nalen is gone, and holland!

LT- Ryan Clady
    LG- John Greco
    C- Nalen if he returns or chris meyers
    RG- Holland
    RT - Ryan Harris or (This is where we should bring a FA in)

mix that line with daniel grahm, and owen schmidt a great blocking FB from west virginia and we have ourselves a line that could be dominating once again
    We start two rookies on the left side, along with Ryan Harris, and we'll likely be worse off next year than we are now. This blocking scheme isn't easy to master, especially for a rookie.
    Only fools bet against Tim Tebow.

Team Tebow #108

Yards, without points, mean nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by svpearson View Post
      Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't 2 of the key guys on the 97 and 98 superbowl teams drafted in the 5th round or later? I think Nalen was like 7th round and Lepsis 5th, and weren't they part of that line?
      Dont forget shannon sharpe, he was a 7th round draft pick. It doesnt matter what pick u were drafted at, what matters is the effort you put in so that you can improve. Our line right now isnt showing much effort. There were many late round picks that have panned out for teams all around the league, so thats not a very good excuse.

I agree that 3 of the most needed positions on our time are DT, OL, and safety. I would love to see these three positions addressed in the first couple of rounds or free agency. But I also agree that we need chemistry and continuity on the oline, but we have a young team and it may be better to think about the future. If we build a team full of young talent right now, we will have a strong, experienced team in about 2 to 3 years. This year we tried to hard for the quick fix and it didnt work because we plugged in too many new players, lack of chemistry/leadership, and injuries.

Im looking forward to next year
      "If you are going through hell...keep going." Winston Churchill

"If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you'll be fired with enthusiasm." Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by DancingHorsey View Post
        We start two rookies on the left side, along with Ryan Harris, and we'll likely be worse off next year than we are now. This blocking scheme isn't easy to master, especially for a rookie.

clady and greco both play in somewhat similar schemes, i know it wouldnt be easy but its worth it clady is a top ten prospect and will be an instant starter, greco is versatile and plays in a similar scheme, pears played last year as a rookie and did alright as did meyers! im just saying i didnt pick 2 joe blow rookies they can perform and have in similar schemes. they also bring power, speed and aggressivness, and presence our line lacks regardless of being rookies. they also both have great technique!

and i only said ryan harris if his back holds up.....i also said bring a FA....perhaps faneca?

Comment

Originally posted by DancingHorsey View Post
          I said you can't expect it. Just like you can't expect to get another TD in the sixth round.
          Ok, I give you that one then.

However, other than 1 or 2 studs that are taken real high in the draft, I don't see very many O linemen go in the first couple of rounds. Plus, with out problems at D-line I doubt we draft an O Linemen early unless there is a Joe Thomas type guy available.

Comment

However, other than 1 or 2 studs that are taken real high in the draft, I don't see very many O linemen go in the first couple of rounds. Plus, with out problems at D-line I doubt we draft an O Linemen early unless there is a Joe Thomas type guy available.

see ryan clady= joe thoms caliber

Comment

If Nalen, Lepsis and Hamilton don't come back next year, I think we are going to struggle for a few years since it will be rebuilding both Oline and D lines.

Which is why Im praying a couple of the Defensive Rooks pan out and play well next year along with Ekuban coming back.

And also why Im really hoping a couple of these young gusy starting turn into good players, if not....ouch.....

I understand Hamilton's situation, just didn't know how bad it was, but I wouldn't want a guy coming back if he was putting his live after football in danger...Well maybe a little bit....Ok that was wrong I take it back

Comment

see ryan clady= joe thoms caliber

Yea but do you think he will fall out of the first round? If not, do you think we should spend a first round pick on O line? I think we should take a D linemen first and then maybe an O lineman or 2.

Comment

This draft is loaded with potential on the offensive line: Clady, Baker, Williams, Long, Cherilus and Otah might all go in the first round! Hill from Texas could break into round one with a good combine and stretch the list. If you want offensive line then this is a great draft year...

And you are wrong, the day the defense is more important then offense in Denver is the day Shanahan retires and Bowlen sales the team! In Denver and within the organization, offense has always been priority here and always will be unless the offense is well enough alone, which it obviously is not.

Comment

Originally posted by cutlerfan View Post
                    We need to draft a guy like Chris Williams at Vandy. Kiper has him as the 3rd best lineman at Left tackle.

He has given up just one sack. And that is in the SEC

Ben will not be back. He has some serious problems with the effects of the concussion or what it is a bruised brain.

Can you blame him. There is life after football and one more hit could mess him up. We don't want that for any of our players.
                    Cutlerfan's right. Williams is big and can run like a deer. A great pass blocker and is rangy and just sorta moves his man to the side on the run. His overall athletic ability is what surprises me.

After Jay had gotten sacked 5 times against the Raiders and then I watching him have no chance at all against the Chargers I say it is time for some major retooling. Both lines.
                    Last edited by vandyman53; 12-26-2007, 01:35 PM.
                    As the great divide in America continues we are causing harm to our future generations by avoiding what needs to be done.

More people recognize Britney Spears than Dick Cheney.

Comment

Originally posted by lancane View Post

This draft is loaded with potential on the offensive line: Clady, Baker, Williams, Long, Cherilus and Otah might all go in the first round! Hill from Texas could break into round one with a good combine and stretch the list. If you want offensive line then this is a great draft year...

And you are wrong, the day the defense is more important then offense in Denver is the day Shanahan retires and Bowlen sales the team! In Denver and within the organization, offense has always been priority here and always will be unless the offense is well enough alone, which it obviously is not.

So the draft is loaded with O-linemen. But as you said if most of them go in the first round, we would most likely have to take one of them with our first pick. With as bad as our D-line was this year would you do that? Now, we did draft a handful of D-linemen last year, so If some of them develop I guess a first pick of a stud O-linemen would be ok with me. But still, our D-line is by far our biggest weakness seems like to me. Maybe go for the best O-linemen or D-linemen available with our first pick, then go the other way with our next one.

Comment

lepsis is past due, as is kuper and even pears, we need bigger line to protect cutler and open lanes.
                        Pears and Kuper have spent 2 seasons in the system. They'll be here next year competing for a starting spot.
                        sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

If Ben hamilton doesnt come back, it may be a good idea to draft an o-lineman 1st or 2nd round and start them early. We have problems on the d-line, but they cant be fixed by a rookie anyway imo. Plus we already have a 1st round talent in Marcus Thomas. I think o-line is more important than D-line especially with shanahan as our coach, he is a offensive minded coach, he needs the players to match.

When the Chiefs had their powerful o-line, they were like 13-0 at one point a few years back right?
                          dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Originally posted by muse View Post
                            Pears and Kuper have spent 2 seasons in the system. They'll be here next year competing for a starting spot.
                            Pears is such a big guy, and he is lean for his size because he is so tall...but Im unsure what I think of him so far. He has had some good games and some really bad games. So, I really hope he keeps getting better.

Comment

Pears is such a big guy, and he is lean for his size because he is so tall...but Im unsure what I think of him so far. He has had some good games and some really bad games. So, I really hope he keeps getting better.
                              Yeah I like his size, and I think his strength is pass protection, but I think he needs to improve on power run blocking, get lower.

I love his height though, not easy finding an 6'8 tackle.
                              Last edited by Return of Lava; 12-26-2007, 02:11 PM.
                              dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

So the draft is loaded with O-linemen. But as you said if most of them go in the first round, we would most likely have to take one of them with our first pick. With as bad as our D-line was this year would you do that? Now, we did draft a handful of D-linemen last year, so If some of them develop I guess a first pick of a stud O-linemen would be ok with me. But still, our D-line is by far our biggest weakness seems like to me. Maybe go for the best O-linemen or D-linemen available with our first pick, then go the other way with our next one.
                                First off it is a weak year to want to draft a defensive tackle, where as the offensive linemen this year is impressive, and it is easy to see that...when you may see more first round halfbacks over first round defensive tackles, then you know it is a weak year to be in need! Dorsey, Ellis, Okam and maybe Harrison or Balmer...Offensive tackles in the first: Long, Clady, Baker, Otah, Cherilus, Williams and possibly Hills. Then check out those halfbacks who will likely be gone in the first: McFadden, Stewart, Mendenhall, Jones and possibly Steve Slaton!

I guess it is just more obvious to me to seek the talented areas which are deep and you can near guarantee a player of quality then trying to win the lottery and being stuck with less then you wanted cause you filled the need in free agency! But right now I see defensive tackle and safety as the two priority positions of need regarding defense, but offensively we may need a stud guard, we need a very good offensive tackle maybe two, we need a halfback to come in and compete and we need a wideout to compete, because even if Javon Walker stays...he will not play until mid-season more then likely, he has to have surgery and then go through the steps to recover which he may never fully recover anyways!

The best off-season would be if Denver signed Demorrio Williams from Atlanta to compete at outside linebacker, he is good enough to start at both outside positions. Sign Corey Williams from Green Bay to compete at defensive tackle or to bring interior rushing ability to the unit. Re-sign Hamza Abdullah to start at Strong Safety, Re-sign Jason Elam because he is the best option and we need him, Re-sign Ebenezer Ekuban to compete and for depth, Sign Kyle Larson from Cincinnati to be our punter for a few years, Re-sign Karl Paymah for depth and to compete at nickle and sign Chris Crocker from Atlanta if we can to rotate at Free Safety with Lynch, he is a proven starter with both Cleveland and Atlanta...plus he is only 27 years old!

Denver then should use Domonique Foxworth or Dre Bly as trade bate, I would prefer to keep Foxworth over Bly, either way I think Bly has done well enough to earn looks from around the league, and most teams know Foxworth is capable to start at corner. Either would likely bring a 3rd Round pick for the Broncos. Then I would like to see Denver make some serious moves to build up day one or early day two picks for the draft; I would love to see Denver trade down and get Dallas's two 1st Round picks which in value will likely be good enough to trade near evenly I think we get a 60 point advantage. Then see Denver turn around and use their multiple picks for day two to rise in the draft in latter rounds, right now it looks as though our picks in the 4th round will be good enough to land another 3rd round pick easily enough if we find someone willingly and the two 5th round picks if we added our single 7th round pick would be near close to ninety points and we could add a latter round pick the following year to get Denver another late 3rd round pick...yes it eliminates the second day for us, but we would walk out of day one with six first day picks to fix the offense at that point as well but with youth instead of broken veterans as we have done crappy so far.

That would be my dream off-season though...lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X