Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivers Backing Down

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3169303

SAN DIEGO -- It's on YouTube now, so it must have happened, right?

Well, San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers tried to downplay his animated exchange with Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler on Monday night, which was caught by ESPN's cameras.

Philip Rivers

Rivers
    Jay Cutler

Cutler

Rivers can be seen jawing from the sideline toward Cutler, who had just thrown an incomplete pass on fourth down midway through the fourth quarter of the Chargers' 23-3 victory. Chargers linebacker Matt Wilhelm can be seen mockingly waving toward Cutler.

Asked what he was saying to Cutler, Rivers said, "Nothing. There was really nothing said to him, to be honest with you."

The AFC West champion Chargers (10-5) returned to work Wednesday for the first time since winning their fifth straight game and for the ninth time in 11 games.

"I ain't really thought nothing more of it," Rivers said.

The QB said the trash talk Monday night was "no different than any other game I've ever played in since I was 10 years old. There was nothing unusual going on in that game. Just like anything that gets on the TV, it can be taken any way you want it to.

"There's no animosity from me towards him, whatsoever. I don't know if that's the same on his end," Rivers said.

It certainly wasn't in the Broncos' locker room.

Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey said there's no excuse for what Rivers did.

"And I don't really care for the guy, first of all," Bailey said in a story posted on The Rocky Mountain News' Web site. "He's not a respectable guy right now, because you talk too much trash and do this and that, but you're really not a great player in this league right now.

"You're surrounded by great players, but you're not a great player. I think he needs to understand where he stands in this league -- where he stands on his team first and foremost."

Cutler was more reserved when he met with reporters Wednesday.

"We've talked about it. I'm not going to get into it," Cutler said. "It was an unfortunate situation. They talked a lot and the talk got heated between the two teams. Personally I don't think the teams like each other, which is fine. It's just going to add to it next year. It's going to be exciting."

The Chargers swept Denver for the second straight year, holding the Broncos to just a field goal in each game. San Diego won 41-3 at Denver on Oct. 7.

Minnesota Vikings safety Darren Sharper, who's preparing to face the Broncos on Sunday, chimed in on Rivers. Sharper said it was "surprising" to see Rivers and Cutler getting after it.

Asked if those kind of exchanges happen often, Sharper said, "No it doesn't, but Rivers is that kind of guy. He likes to run his mouth. He's going to learn he is going to have to stop doing that, too."

Sharper said Rivers mouthed off during the Chargers' 35-17 loss at Minnesota on Nov. 4, when Vikings rookie Adrian Peterson shredded San Diego's defense for an NFL-record 296 yards.

"He just runs his mouth a little bit," Sharper said.

Chargers coach Norv Turner said he discussed the matter with Rivers.

"I talked to him and he understands where I'm coming from," Turner said.

Notes
    K Nate Kaeding had an MRI on his bruised lower left leg and it showed no structural damage. Turner said Kaeding should be able to handle field goals but not kickoffs. The team will decide to continue with P Mike Scifres handling the kickoffs, or to audition other kickers. ... LB Marques Harris had surgery on his broken hand and could miss Sunday's game at Oakland.
    I will be a Denver Bronco for life. Nothing else matters.

"And I don't really care for the guy, first of all," Bailey said in a story posted on The Rocky Mountain News' Web site. "He's not a respectable guy right now, because you talk too much trash and do this and that, but you're really not a great player in this league right now.

"You're surrounded by great players, but you're not a great player. I think he needs to understand where he stands in this league -- where he stands on his team first and foremost."
    Damn I hope Rivers sees this
    Go Selvin!
    Shake and Bake All Day Long!

sigpic

Comment

I don't think there's much love for Phillip Rivers, even by his own teammates. I've seen LT - who is a very classy guy from what I can tell - get into heated exchanges with him, also.

Bailey said it best - he's an average player playing with great players. He needs to understand that and get better first before he starts shooting off his mouth.
      sigpic

Comment

Ouch, when a QB's told by the best DB in the league that you aren't good it must take you down a peg. I hope Champ owns him in the next meeting too
        sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Bailey criticizes Rivers for taunt

Bailey criticizes Rivers for taunt
          By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News
          Thursday, December 27, 2007

As an eight-time Pro Bowl selection, Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey has lined up and locked down plenty of guys around the league.

But Wednesday, Bailey said there was no defense for Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers' sideline taunting of Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler in the fourth quarter of Monday night's 23-3 Broncos loss in San Diego.

The video has made the rounds of the highlight shows near and far, but after an incomplete pass on fourth down in the fourth quarter, Rivers - as well as linebackers Shaun Phillips and Matt Wilhelm - clearly can be seen jawing at Cutler from the San Diego sideline.

But it was the Chargers quarterback who drew the Broncos' ire.

"And I don't really care for the guy, first of all," Bailey said of Rivers. "He's not a respectable guy right now because you talk too much trash and do this and that, but you're really not a great player in this league right now.

"You're surrounded by great players, but you're not a great player. I think he needs to understand where he stands in this league - where he stands on his team first and foremost."

The incident was a topic of discussion among Broncos players Wednesday as they gathered after the holiday to begin their work week leading to Sunday's season finale against the Minnesota Vikings.

Teammates said Cutler certainly was not happy with what was perceived as a breach of etiquette, but publicly he was measured in his response.

"We've talked about it a little bit," Cutler said. "I'm not going to get into it. It's an unfortunate situation. They talk a lot of stuff, it got heated between the two teams. Personally, I don't think the teams like each other, which is fine.

"It's just going to add to it later next year and the year after that. It should be exciting."

Asked if he had ever done that to another quarterback, Cutler shook his head and said "No."

Rivers said he used no profanity and was only reacting to his defense's play.

"We get a fourth-down stop, Wilhelm and Shaun Phillips, those guys been jawing the whole game with them," Rivers told The San Diego Union-Tribune. "We get a good stop. They are jawing. I'm not anywhere involved. I come out to congratulate them on the stop. I come out to congratulate them, and while I'm out there, yeah, there is some eye contact, but I'm saying 'atta baby' to Matt Wilhelm and Shaun Phillips. Sure, there is eye contact. Maybe there is a smirk. But I am speaking to my guys. That's all that was said.

"I don't think I have to defend myself. I used no profanity, I said nothing personal to anybody on that field. I was out there playing football. We're not in a tennis match. I understand some of the frustration is they've lost four in a row to this team. People don't like losing four in a row."

Rivers also said he was surprised by Bailey's reaction, saying: "He's one guy I've always said we respect him. He's one of the top corners in the league. Out there in the game, I say very little to Champ other than if we do complete one on him - and you don't go after the guy - he'll look at me, I'll grin at him like, 'Hey, we got you.' It's always been a very respectful communication between me and him. That surprises me."

Broncos tight end Tony Scheffler said the incident would come up again when the Broncos face the Chargers next season and veteran cornerback Dre Bly added Rivers had not yet "earned the right to do that."

"They've got a lot of classy guys on that team," Bailey said. "He kind of represents the classless guy on that team. He's definitely lost my respect."

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...ers-for-taunt/

Comment

Originally posted by Rivers View Post
            Rivers also said he was surprised by Bailey's reaction, saying: "He's one guy I've always said we respect him. He's one of the top corners in the league. Out there in the game, I say very little to Champ other than if we do complete one on him - and you don't go after the guy - he'll look at me, I'll grin at him like, 'Hey, we got you.' It's always been a very respectful communication between me and him. That surprises me."
            I'm really glad to see that he saw Bailey's comments...

Obviously, smack talk and jesting are part of the game... once you earn them. But it's nice to see him taken down a peg or 2 in terms of he hasn't done anything to earn that respect from the rest of the players yet.
            sigpic

Comment

I love this. Rivers is an idiot. This will be great to next year when we face them again. Hope our team is improved and Cutler will be the one saying "You can't ****** beat us." Well, that won't happen bc cutlers a classy guy-but we will take at least one next year.

Good luck getting bounced quickly from the playoffs SD. Too bad as long as NE and INDY are on top your careers will suffer greatly, then when it can't get any worse and we will be dom-in-a-ting you for years to come. Enjoy your "success".
              Last edited by AsianOrange; 12-27-2007, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                I don't think there's much love for Phillip Rivers, even by his own teammates. I've seen LT - who is a very classy guy from what I can tell - get into heated exchanges with him, also.

Bailey said it best - he's an average player playing with great players. He needs to understand that and get better first before he starts shooting off his mouth.
                Was I the only one who saw LT over there mocking Cutler as well?

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmiOwOoD9jE But there was one that showed Jay on the sidelines after the exchange. He was cussing up a storm. I just wish that he wouldn't have let Rivers get in his head like that.
                  But see, I don't care what Rivers said, he was talking to Jay because most of the talking was happening while the two players he mentions were on the sidelines with him. If he was talking to his players, his team, wouldn't he have looking at them. He was looking at Jay straight up. And by the way, where are the members of the team that he is talking to?
                  Last edited by I_Only_Like_Jay; 12-27-2007, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Well... let's just see how things goes if they don't don't get past the first round of the playoffs.... personally, I think that will hurt more then not making it ;D

Have a question for me? "Ask AO" A Non-Feedback Thread. You'll be glad you did!

2003, 2009 Fantasy League Champion!
                    2006, 2010 Fantasy League Runner-up

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco_Rob View Post
                      Was I the only one who saw LT over there mocking Cutler as well?
                      Well, maybe, but with LT, one could say that the Broncos started that one. But Lynch apologized, so if LT was doing that too, shouldn't he apologize? Just to Jay though.

Comment

Thanks for the Articles guys.

Here is a clip of it for any person that missed it.

I Only Like Jay posted clip at post #9. Did not see.
                        Last edited by Nick; 12-27-2007, 08:58 AM.

Comment

It's not what you want from players, but he sure had his team back him up with a win.

As for Bailey, the announcers mentioned that Bailey had already made a statement before the game about how he didn't like the way Rivers trashed talked on the field and sidelines.

But we are making too much of this. The players have to handle this kind of stuff on the field next season. Chargers did beat us up twice, held us to no touchdowns, knocked our QB around, and trashed talked about him calling him a baby. I'm sure they'll try and handle this next year! As for this year, chargers dominated Denver.
                          Emancipate your mind!
                          The People's Poster

Comment

Originally posted by Emancipator View Post
                            It's not what you want from players, but he sure had his team back him up with a win.

As for Bailey, the announcers mentioned that Bailey had already made a statement before the game about how he didn't like the way Rivers trashed talked on the field and sidelines.

But we are making too much of this. The players have to handle this kind of stuff on the field next season. Chargers did beat us up twice, held us to no touchdowns, knocked our QB around, and trashed talked about him calling him a baby. I'm sure they'll try and handle this next year! As for this year, chargers dominated Denver.
                            Here is the clip of what the reporter said. In reference to bailey.

It is trash talk, both ways.

They had the better end of it... and backed it up.

I do not mind the trash talk... hopefully it lights a little spark for some players.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                              Here is the clip of what the reporter said. In reference to bailey.

It is trash talk, both ways.

They had the better end of it... and backed it up.

I do not mind the trash talk... hopefully it lights a little spark for some players.
                              Thanks Nick.
                              That's right. I just wanted people to know that Bailey made his comment before the game. It wasn't in response to what happened with Cutler. (Although I'm sure he'd say the say thing after the game.)

Thanks for the clip.
                              Emancipate your mind!
                              The People's Poster

Comment

Working...
                              X