Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DJ Williams- Maybe better than we thought?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DJ Williams- Maybe better than we thought?

I know its just a stat but D.J. is quietly leading the AFC in tackles. I know some think that he'd be better on the outside. But I'm actually happy with whats he's done especially since his interior d-line is getting no push and pretty much leaving heim out there to dry. But he always seems to be the player in on the plays.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...seasonType=REG
    sigpic

I think the fact that he's leading the AFC in tackles is more of a testament to our D-lines suckitude than DJ's aptitude.

I think he's good at making the tackle, but mediocre at directing the defense, making pre-snap reads & adjustments, etc.

Comment

what i want to know... is how is it that a guy who has more tackles than any other player in his conference... cant be at least a reserve at his own position in the Pro Bowl????

Comment

Originally posted by bronco6maniac84 View Post
        what i want to know... is how is it that a guy who has more tackles than any other player in his conference... cant be at least a reserve at his own position in the Pro Bowl????
        Because we have a losing, low-profile team. Even when we were in the AFC Championship game we only had a few pro-bowlers, so how many do you expect us to have in a losing season?

Comment

DJ Williams was a natural MIKE from the start. He was played out of position in Miami due to Jon Vilma and was played out of position here due to Al Wilson. The coaches figured that out real quick after his rookie season in which he put up solid tackle numbers, but failed in every other aspect of WILL LB play (blitzing, coverage, play diagnosis).

This is not a surprise that he's dominating at MIKE now.

Comment

Originally posted by shooter_j View Post
            I think the fact that he's leading the AFC in tackles is more of a testament to our D-lines suckitude than DJ's aptitude.

I think he's good at making the tackle, but mediocre at directing the defense, making pre-snap reads & adjustments, etc.
            Exactly.

Williams is an excellent tackler and good at swarming the ball carrier. But the MLB is essentially the QB of the defense. On too many plays to count this season, the defense has looked confused and disorganized pre-snap, and have generally been out of position the majority of the year. Part of that falls on the individual players, and part of that falls on the coaches. But part of the blame has to fall on Williams, as well.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
              Exactly.

Williams is an excellent tackler and good at swarming the ball carrier. But the MLB is essentially the QB of the defense. On too many plays to count this season, the defense has looked confused and disorganized pre-snap, and have generally been out of position the majority of the year. Part of that falls on the individual players, and part of that falls on the coaches. But part of the blame has to fall on Williams, as well.
              Yeah, he's a very instinctive player, which I LOVE in an outside linebacker, but you need a more cerebral player in the middle. Anybody know if Al Wilson's neck has healed up yet?

EDIT:

That being said, I think DJ might still develop those recognition skills with time and be a great MLB. I just don't know if the problem is that he isn't smart enough to learn, or just hasn't had the time to learn.
              Last edited by shooter_j; 12-28-2007, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bronco6maniac84 View Post

And alot of those tackles are 5 yards or more of the LOS.

If you think DJ deserves a spot ahead of the other top MLB in AFC your nuts and a true Homer..

I hated the move of DJ to MLB and early on (pre-season-early Reg-season) I was proven right. But slowly he started to do alot better in his role as the MLB, and that just goes to show you how much of a exceptional player he is. I still think he should move back outside were he can cause havok though.

Personally if Denver gets a solid tough as nails MLB in the offseason or thru the draft, I think with DJ and Jamie on the outside (yes I said it) will will have a awesome starting LB squad.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                  Exactly.

I have yet to here a single player or coach have anything but positive comments on D.J. In watching his play IMO he is a natural at the Mike LB. The defense has looked terrible, yes. Confused? IMO not so much.

If a safety or Mike is making incorrect calls the coaches are yelling and immediately grab him when he comes off the field. I haven"t seen much of that after the first month of the season. He looks like a keeper to me.

Comment

Maybe I’m too slow ‘cause I lived under power lines as a kid, but doesn’t the Bates’ system rely on the l/b to make most of the tackles after the interior d-line tackles take the o line out of the equation? I may be mistaken ( witch I usually am), but wouldn’t that mean that the Bates system is taking effect (given D.J.’s stats)? If I am wrong please give me direction. If I am right than we should see much better things next season.

Comment

Originally posted by shafer View Post
                      Maybe I’m too slow ‘cause I lived under power lines as a kid, but doesn’t the Bates’ system rely on the l/b to make most of the tackles after the interior d-line tackles take the o line out of the equation? I may be mistaken ( witch I usually am), but wouldn’t that mean that the Bates system is taking effect (given D.J.’s stats)? If I am wrong please give me direction. If I am right than we should see much better things next season.
                      Most defenses are designed for the LBs to make most of the tackles. . . and D.J. is making those tackles at a phenominal rate. People still aren't happy. Go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by Dean View Post
                        Most defenses are designed for the LBs to make most of the tackles. . . and D.J. is making those tackles at a phenominal rate. People still aren't happy. Go figure!
                        your right..people dearly want to find fault somewhere...but DJ is not where to look,,there are only a few bright spots on defense, Dj, bailey,dumervill and even bly

DJ will be a force in the middle and a bigger force the next few years
                        sigpic
                        when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Well, while I agree that his # of tackles is because our line sucks, it also shows me that he seems to have clicked in for good with MLB. And since he says he lieks it there, I expect him to be one hell of a player.
                          Very happy to have Tebow in orange and blue!!!

Team Tebow #16

Comment

Originally posted by arapaho View Post
                            your right..people dearly want to find fault somewhere...but DJ is not where to look,,there are only a few bright spots on defense, Dj, bailey,dumervill and even bly

DJ will be a force in the middle and a bigger force the next few years
                            I am of the opinion that next year D.J. will be something special at the Mike LB. He is still a little slow recognizing pass but his play has come so far it amazes me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
                              DJ Williams was a natural MIKE from the start. He was played out of position in Miami due to Jon Vilma and was played out of position here due to Al Wilson. The coaches figured that out real quick after his rookie season in which he put up solid tackle numbers, but failed in every other aspect of WILL LB play (blitzing, coverage, play diagnosis).

This is not a surprise that he's dominating at MIKE now.
                              Haha, you did call it way back. I'm trying to remember the person who was adamant that DJ would not work out at MLB (and wrote an essay about it)...I thought it was you at first but it wasn't.
                              sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Working...
                              X