• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘Barrel Man’ McKernan ending career on Sunday

http://multimedia.rockymountainnews....=62&tpcid=7809
    by Sam Adams, Rocky Mountain News

Roll out the Barrel Man one more time.

Tim McKernan will be honored before kickoff of Sunday’s Broncos-Vikings game at Invesco Field. The fan known as “Barrel Man” vows to hang up his famous orange-colored cask for good.

In 1992 a teary-eyed McKernan bid farewell announcement at the Broncos training facility at Dove Valley. It didn’t take long for him to rescind the retirement.“I missed it,” he said.

This time is serious. McKernan, 67, has been dealing with health trouble. In 2003 he had an aneurysm.

“The mind says keep going, but the body says it’s time to quit . . . I don’t have the stamina to keep going,” McKernan said.

McKernan accepted “a dare” from his brother, Scott, and showed up wearing a barrel-sized Orange Crush soda can at a Broncos-Bears game played on Oct. 16, 1978.

The rest is history -- 30 years worth. The Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio has one of McKernan’s orange barrels (signed by members of the Broncos’ 1977 AFC Championship team) to prove it . . .

Farewell Barrel Man, I can't believe you're leaving

Wish we could have sent him out with a winning season.

Comment

I do have to hand it to the guy. He is dedicated. It will be strange to see the game on TV or go to a game and not see him in that barrel. My hubby and I had our picture taken with him a few years ago. At least he is still a Bronco fan at heart. A salute to the Barrel Man.

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKIES View Post
        Wish we could have sent him out with a winning season.
        Me too. It sucks that he had to go out when the Broncos are so horrible.

Comment

Ahhhh damn it. Wish I could have got my picture with him.

What's cooler than a naked guy in a barrel?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco_Armada View Post
            Ahhhh damn it. Wish I could have got my picture with him.

What's cooler than a naked guy in a barrel?
            A naked woman in a barrel.
            sigpic
            Thanks Blondie for the Sig

Comment

I wish he could go into the Ring Of Fame...

The King, the Captain, and the Scheff...LOL!

Comment

Congrats to the Barrel Man.

I grew up watching him in the stands. I saw it as fun. I'm sure he did it for fun. It turned out to be fun for Bronco fans. It was a fun "career".
                Emancipate your mind!
                The People's Poster

Comment

Farewell, BarrelMan!
                  sigpic

Comment

miss u

man we are going to miss him...i can't imagine a game without him there...I remember going to games as a kid and seeing him there...rain/snow/blizzard..didn't matter..he was there...
                    makes me think how old i'm getting...and i'm only 31....

Thanks for the memories Barrelman...you are a true broncos fan

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Lori View Post
                      I wish he could go into the Ring Of Fame...
                      Definitely and well deserved. He earned it. They should also consider presenting him with a special one of a kind ring to honor his outstanding dedication as a true fan of the Denver Broncos.

Here's to you Tim McKernan, job well done my friend. You will be missed.
                      Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Thank you for all Barrel Man!!!

I hope a young, new Barrel Man will step in his shoes, we need animation at Invesco, sometimes this stadium is too quiet for me.

Comment

I remember at my first Bronco game I asked him for his autograph. But I didn't have a pen. So I asked him for one, and he asked me where in a barrel he would keep a pen.

Its sad to know that he won't be in the stands anymore.

Comment

It seems like everything is suddenly falling apart.

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderHater9899 View Post
                              I remember at my first Bronco game I asked him for his autograph. But I didn't have a pen. So I asked him for one, and he asked me where in a barrel he would keep a pen.

Its sad to know that he won't be in the stands anymore.
                              Only one place I can think of!

Thanks BM!!!! Good luck to you and please enjoy your 'retirement'.

I love watching my DB History DVD, when Tim talks about the SB win over GB he's nearly in tears. Every time I watch that part I'm nearly in tears.

Comment

Working...
                              X