Offensive Line fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offensive Line fix?

I am watching Cleveland and their offense and their line is so good at blocking for Anderson........I remember last year when our then putrid Dline abused the Browns oline...........Correct me if I am wrong but didnt Cleveland ONLY add Joe Thomas to their offensive line, is he so godly that he turned the whole offensive line around or is it a mix of adding Thomas and the guys learning to work together from last year.

Honestly I think 1 or maybe 2 offensive tackles should have our offensive line set. Let them gel. Dont bring in a whole bunch of guys that dont know eachother well.

B-Marsh owning Al Harris(Aka: the supposed most physical corner in the league)

Mock Draft:

**If Ellis/Dorsey fall**

1) Dorsey or Ellis(whoever falls)
    2) Devin Thomas
    4) Frank Okam
    4) Beau Bell

**If Ellis/Dorsey dont fall**

1) Desean Jackson
    2) Pat Sims or Trevor Laws(whoever falls)
    4) Frank Okam
    4) Beau Bell

Chemistry is a key to OL success. That's why I'm quite hesitant about supporting bringing in more than 1 new starter. I think an LT should be our first and foremost priority. But especially in this system where so much relies on concerted action, we can't afford to disrupt the chemistry so much. Our line's done as well as we could have expected considering we have 4 new starters (Pears hasn't played RT in the NFL until now) including having to replace the squad's leader.
    sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

I think our # 1 priority should be RG, we need strength and power there.
      dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Originally posted by broncs2bowl View Post
        Correct me if I am wrong but didnt Cleveland ONLY add Joe Thomas to their offensive line, is he so godly that he turned the whole offensive line around or is it a mix of adding Thomas and the guys learning to work together from last year.
        Joe Thomas is a beast! They are exponentially better because of him. I have posted several times on Thomas and the Browns' success because of him. They run for an extra 2+ yards per carry to his side which helps set up a lot of the pass.

IMO Cutler is a more talented/gifted QB than Anderson. Imagine what he could accomplish with the same amount of time that Anderson gets.

BRONCOS NEED O LINE HELP AND SHOULD LOOK TO THE BROWNS AND DRAFT THERE! Remember the Browns went after Thoms before Quinn (that tells you a lot).

GO BRONOCOS!

Comment

Originally posted by Return of Lava View Post
          I think our # 1 priority should be RG, we need strength and power there.
          I disagree.

Lepsis constantly struggles in pass blocking and lets Cutler get hit on his blindside. We don't want Jay to develop thinking that he has to make decisions too quickly because he doesn't trust what he can't see. We need to find LT that will give the QB the time he needs to throw the ball and move the chains.

Montrae Holland, our RG, is not doing great, but he is doing better than Lepsis when it comes to giving Cutler time in the pocket.
          Go Selvin!
          Shake and Bake All Day Long!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dodgehunter13 View Post
            I disagree.

Lepsis constantly struggles in pass blocking and lets Cutler get hit on his blindside. We don't want Jay to develop thinking that he has to make decisions too quickly because he doesn't trust what he can't see. We need to find LT that will give the QB the time he needs to throw the ball and move the chains.

Montrae Holland, our RG, is not doing great, but he is doing better than Lepsis when it comes to giving Cutler time in the pocket.
            Well, I havent been able to watch much tape, but just off reputation and past film, i cant believe lepsis is struggling to pass protect. i thought Lepsis was the most reliable lineman we have, if thast not the case, we're in deeper trouble than I thought
            dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Personally I do not think we should sink money into FA O-Lineman but we should rather build up through the draft. My first round pick right now is Ryan Clady who we can build our offensive lines around.

From most indications Tom Nalen should be back next year which is HUGE, as he anchors the O-Line and is more or less the QB of the O-Line.

Hopefully Hamilton will be back and then we can have the following O-Line:

LT: Ryan Clady (Future building block, really can fit our scheme)

LG: Ben Hamilton (Holding out that he will come back, if so he is an upgrade over Kuper)

C: Tom Nalen (Tied for the oldest Center in the league with Kevin Mawae but he still has some left. His injury was the sole reason our O-Line fell apart. Im realling looking Foward to having him back)

RG: Montrae Holland (Gives us some size up front, let him battle it out with Kuper for some competition which is always good)

RT: Matt Lepsis (Move him to RT. He is still effecitve and next year should be a better year for him. We have Harris waiting in the wings as well)

We also have good depth as backups with Pears, Myers, Kuper and Harris.

People seemed to panic after the Houston and San Diego games, I know I did, but upon thinking about It I realised the return of Nalen and hopefully Hamilton should really help alot. I still think we should invest our first round pick in Clady who we can be our future LT and a guy to build around when Nalen, Hamilton and Lepsis retire.

We do not need to waste big money on FA's like Adams or Faneca, but there are a couple of guy's like Jake Scott at RG and Travelle Wharton at LT who could help and should get a look if we cannot get Clady, or Hamilton does not return but I think the situation is not quite as dire as many people think.

Add the return of Daniel Graham from injury, a true blocking full back, and finally a more consistent running game and we will be fine and ready to contend next year on the offensive side of the ball.

Just my :2cents: on the O-Line.

Thought?
              Last edited by Rockies24; 12-30-2007, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by broncs2bowl View Post
                I am watching Cleveland and their offense and their line is so good at blocking for Anderson........I remember last year when our then putrid Dline abused the Browns oline...........Correct me if I am wrong but didnt Cleveland ONLY add Joe Thomas to their offensive line, is he so godly that he turned the whole offensive line around or is it a mix of adding Thomas and the guys learning to work together from last year.

Honestly I think 1 or maybe 2 offensive tackles should have our offensive line set. Let them gel. Dont bring in a whole bunch of guys that dont know eachother well.
                They also added Steinbach who is a huge addition, and also Hank Fraley for them has gotten back into form this year.
                "If you fumble the ball, I will break off my foot in your John Brown hind parts; and then you will run a mile."My Adopted bronc is Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Well, I havent been able to watch much tape, but just off reputation and past film, i cant believe lepsis is struggling to pass protect. i thought Lepsis was the most reliable lineman we have, if thast not the case, we're in deeper trouble than I thought
                  Well if you watch the game today, keep a close eye on Lepsis. Ever since that injury he had last year, he is been awfully bad in the passing game.
                  Go Selvin!
                  Shake and Bake All Day Long!

sigpic

Comment

Shanahan has wasted far too much time with these lineman, they've been a liability for years......Even more so this year!

Go after both Jordan Gross and Alan Faneca in free agency and draft a LT this year or next, because I sincerely doubt Harris will ever be an improvement over Lepsis, who has seen his better days......

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                      Shanahan has wasted far too much time with these lineman, they've been a liability for years......Even more so this year!

Go after both Jordan Gross and Alan Faneca in free agency and draft a LT this year or next, because I sincerely doubt Harris will ever be an improvement over Lepsis, who has seen his better days......
                      I agree....how old are they though? If around 30-32, we wont need to draft here imo.

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

I agree....how old are they though? If around 30-32, we wont need to draft here imo.

Faneca will be 32 this time next year, Gross will be 28.

Even if you get both these players, which is very unlikely, you'll still need a future LT.

Harris can't hold the weight and he'll be just another liability, imo. In hindsight, the Broncos should have taken Marcus Thomas with their 3rd pick and taken their chances that Harris would still be around when their next pick came up......
                        Last edited by stnzed; 12-30-2007, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stnzed View Post
                          Faneca will be 32 this time next year, Gross will be 28.

Even if you get both these players, which is very unlikely, you'll still need a future LT.

Harris can't hold the weight and he'll be just another liability, imo......
                          I'm interested to see what Harris can do, but actually i think Pears can develop into a top LT, his height gives him certain advantages imo, and I think he is a good pass protector....he just needs to stay working hard and developing his technique. Add a littlemore weight to his frame

6'8 320, that sounds real good.

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

If we stay at 10th or move up to 9th we need to target Ryan Clady from Boise State to replace the inept Lepsis. He is such a liability, I also think we need to get a center prospect to learn the system and eventually take over in the middle.

But I still say move down and get a top tackle in the latter half of the 1st, plus add more picks.

Comment

I'm interested to see what Harris can do, but actually i think Pears can develop into a top LT, his height gives him certain advantages imo, and I think he is a good pass protector....he just needs to stay working hard and developing his technique. Add a littlemore weight to his frame

6'8 320, that sounds real good.
                              Pears will become a solid RT with some time, I think he and Harris will battle to take the right side...We need a solid Left Tackle without the moves, someone who is a natural beast and leader to anchor the blindside for years to come.

Comment

Working...
                              X