Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gobroncsnv
    replied
    You're right... a poor dline causes him to miss tackles and over-run plays. You need to give up on trying to convince us... Shanny was exactly who he was talking about when he said we need to find out who still wants to be here. Winborn filled in at least as well as Ian did.
    Again, as a person, Ian seems to be a fine man, but he just doesn't fill his position very well. He will be given the opportunity to "succeed" elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Mat'hir Uth Gan
    replied
    Well, I agree with Nick.

Gold is fine. He's a smaller LB, so if the D-line in front of him sucks, he's going to have some issues. He played well overall, I'm not sure what people are talking about. Understand, that with Ian, we played him like a Safety the vast majority of the time. Towards, the end of the season, we started blitzing him (a strength of his) and using him up at the line on more plays.

Jamie Winborn came into this league as a WILL LB with SF. He subsequently failed at that position so badly that he was effectively out of the league for a short while. Now, he's the next starter? He can't cover to save his life, but he's a pretty effective tackler against the run. But don't confuse yourselves, Gold is a MUCH more complete LB then Winborn. And we have no other LB on our team that can cover to the degree Gold can.

Alot depends on the scheme we want to run. If we get coverage-style safeties, Gold could be let go as his versatility and value would be diminished. But as it stands, he had a very productive year and would have made the stats in my sig if he hadn't been injured minus a few tackles. He's not the weakest link on this team. We have a lot more glaring needs on both sides of the ball and special teams as well.

Leave a comment:

• Geandily
    replied
    Ian Gold is an average player at an unimportant position in the defense, blaming him for the defensive woes is like blaming a slot wide receiver for things on offense. True he did have a bad season but remember that he DID beat several other linebackers in training camp for the job.

Gold proved that he could be an impact player several years ago, I think it's kind of silly to think that all of a sudden he can no longer play, it's not like he had some horrible injury or something, it's either the D-Line or the system.

We have other issues to address first, on defense we have a defensive line that gets dominated every play, what is an average linebacker like Gold supposed to do? We have 0 depth at safety and an injury prone Lynch starting.

On offense we have an aging injury prone offensive line with little to no depth. We have one wide receiver capable of starting, that is, if Walker leaves.

Our special teams are so bad that in several games we had Champ Bailey and John Lynch covering kicks, our best return man is an injury prone Andre Hall.

So that's at least 2 other positions at defense that need to be filled (1 DT and 1 FS). 3 on offense (LT, G, WR) and who knows how many at special teams. Does drafting an outside linebacker still look good? Actually now that I've made this post it doesn't seem so silly. If we draft an outside linebacker he could improve special teams and battle Ian Gold for the job during training camp.

Just remember though, Gold started this year because he won the job in training camp, if he doesn't start next year I wont complain.

Leave a comment:

• Lorcust
    replied
    It's good to see you don't lack creativity.

Leave a comment:

• NinjaPirateFunk
    replied
    Originally posted by NickTranOwnz View Post

I'm sure MUG would agree.
    we're all sure MUG would agree

the plethora of excuses and justifications could fill a walmart. i'm tired of excuses why a professional football player can't do his job. if he stays it will be a stunning display of inadequate management. but i trust shanny more than that.

Leave a comment:

• NickTranOwnz
    replied
    Winborn plays exactly the same as Ian. Misses some, makes some.

I've seen so many plays where he whiffs it horribly or gets blown up by a blocker.

One memorable one - Chargers game, hes assigned to blitz. Times it perfectly. Gets destroyed by the block and release Antonio Gates. Looked like he tried to fly through the line to hit a brick wall.

Another one - Burned on long bomb play. Miscoverage? maybe. But that was his man, Gold probably could have covered better (by which I mean have a smaller gap between him adn the receiver).

Winborn isn't better than Gold, if not slightly worse. I notice more whiffs and misses on him.

Goes to show that its the rigor of the position that puts you in bad position.

I'm sure MUG would agree.

And don't try to argue with me. The past few games I've concentrated only on #52 and #51.

Leave a comment:

• gobroncsnv
    replied
    Originally posted by phanofsports17 View Post
    It almost seems like Ian's speed is a disadvantage for him...as fast as he may be for a LB...it hurts him when he is pursuing a RB and the RB makes a cut that Ian can't adjust to...

which doesn't make much sense because he weighs less than some RB's do...it's not like he has all this momentum that makes it hard for him to change direction...

maybe he just likes to show off his speed and he thinks it makes it ok to miss tackles as long as he is fast...

Well, exactly...We don't CARE how fast he gets there, just whether he makes the tackle. If he misses, what good did all the speed do for us?

Leave a comment:

• NinjaPirateFunk
    replied
    Originally posted by Hadez View Post
    Gold did make a few plays back in the day but personally I never understood why he got a big contract.

I think TB realized their mistake and that is why they cut him so fast.

He should have stayed the Special Teams Crash Dummy imo.
    exaaactly

gold has been a liability all season. i think even his supporters know this and that's why they're a little more quiet lately, since they know his time is winding down in denver. so why bother anymore?

if winborn is going to dive wildly and miss tackles, screw up in reads and have lackluster coverage skills, i'd rather he do it for a smaller contract than ian with his larger one. if ian's lucky he'll go to a play with a great line and a great mlb and he'll look better than he is. but even that's probably being generous. he can't tackle or shed blocks at all anymore. and he's fast, but he can't stop on a dime anymore. runners who can, have made him look stupid all season.

so long mr. gold.

Leave a comment:

• phanofsports17
    replied
    It almost seems like Ian's speed is a disadvantage for him...as fast as he may be for a LB...it hurts him when he is pursuing a RB and the RB makes a cut that Ian can't adjust to...

which doesn't make much sense because he weighs less than some RB's do...it's not like he has all this momentum that makes it hard for him to change direction...

maybe he just likes to show off his speed and he thinks it makes it ok to miss tackles as long as he is fast...

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Gold did make a few plays back in the day but personally I never understood why he got a big contract.

I think TB realized their mistake and that is why they cut him so fast.

He should have stayed the Special Teams Crash Dummy imo.

Leave a comment:

• mb3playa
    replied
    Originally posted by Shawshank24 View Post
    behind DT i'm guessing? that's how i see it anyway.

i think winborn played very well. it seemed like he was either making a great play or messing up, but i don't blame him for doing so as he was new to the role and i think he will be in the mix for a starting spot next year if these few games were any indication.
    agreed, i think that we could gave gold, dj, and winborn all start, unless we pickup someone in free agency.
    p.s. hilarious sig!!!

Leave a comment:

• Bronco_Armada
    replied
    Originally posted by broncoscountry View Post
    ian is a beast.. he really helps with the run because he is so fast (one of the fastest in the nfl (at lb only) and if he leaves our LB core will suffer i like ian. He is a beast.
    He manages to do the impossible.

Sucks and Blows

Leave a comment:

• Shawshank24
    replied
    Originally posted by gobroncsnv View Post
    Sorry, but he's more of a liability than I care to have at such a critical position. Winborn seemed better in the few games he played.
    Gold misses far too many tackles, can't cover, and over-runs too many plays. OLB is, IMO, our second greatest need on D.
    behind DT i'm guessing? that's how i see it anyway.

i think winborn played very well. it seemed like he was either making a great play or messing up, but i don't blame him for doing so as he was new to the role and i think he will be in the mix for a starting spot next year if these few games were any indication.

Leave a comment:

• theshiverman
    replied
    ian is a beast.. he really helps with the run because he is so fast (one of the fastest in the nfl (at lb only) and if he leaves our LB core will suffer i like ian. He is a beast.
    Maybe 2 years ago, but he really looked bad this past season, id rather them draft a rookie or hit free agency for a replacement.

Leave a comment:

• gobroncsnv
    replied
    Sorry, but he's more of a liability than I care to have at such a critical position. Winborn seemed better in the few games he played.
    Gold misses far too many tackles, can't cover, and over-runs too many plays. OLB is, IMO, our second greatest need on D.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X