Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new defence coach, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new defence coach, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i can't belive Mike has not seen his defence slipping. I think ever since they got rid of Gary Kubiak they do not seem to get a tempo going. I just hope when they get a draft pick they won't blow it

ok . . . . . gary was offense

and bates has had only 1 season with a pitiful D line
    sigpic
    -------

Comment

I agree , New Def. coordinator needed.

Bates has to go. He doesn;t show the ability to adjust or conform his defensive schemes to the players and talnts that they have.

Comment

Originally posted by MegaCrush1977 View Post
        Bates has to go. He doesn;t show the ability to adjust or conform his defensive schemes to the players and talnts that they have.
        Wasn't this the same argument for getting rid of Coyer last year? Understandably for Coyer...his scheme had been in place for a few years & the defense had learned the ins & outs of it.

Contrary to popular belief, Bates is trying to implement HIS system while at the same time taking into consideration he may or may not have the bodies up front to fully imploy said system. Dumerville's 11 sacks should be an indication that the D is getting better pressure on the QB (which was a loud topic last year).

Bottom line for me is post #8 in the link below: http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=108698
        Supporter of the "Don't Like the Thread, Don't Post In It" rule

Comment

Guys we cant keep changing schemes every year. We need to perfect the scheme we have. When its all said and done no matter what coach we have, its basic defense....... gotta stop the run, and get interceptions. Why do we need to bring in a whole new coach to teach the same basic concepts?
          dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Return of Lava View Post
            Guys we cant keep changing schemes every year. We need to perfect the scheme we have. When its all said and done no matter what coach we have, its basic defense....... gotta stop the run, and get interceptions. Why do we need to bring in a whole new coach to teach the same basic concepts?
            We can if we keep changing to schemes that don't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Next YEAR, MAYBE View Post
              i can't belive Mike has not seen his defence slipping. I think ever since they got rid of Gary Kubiak they do not seem to get a tempo going. I just hope when they get a draft pick they won't blow it

I'm fairly certain that Kubiak's departure had nothing to do with with a slipping defence.... or even the defense for that matter.

*wonders what a "defenCe" is*

Comment

Originally posted by ChampWJ View Post
                We can if we keep changing to schemes that don't work.
                Any scheme we install next year, we would have to learn all over, and what if we had the same players to learn it, we'd still struggle. Lets just progress to year 2 of the current scheme and make it work. We've only seen it one year how can you assume it wont work once we get the players.
                dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

huh? is this a joke?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Return of Lava View Post
                    I agree, and I'm not 100% advocating for Bates' dismissal. However, I have a hunch that what will happen is:

1. Bates will be let go. It will be done in such a way for the Broncos and Bates to save face (e.g. Bates wants to coach HIS scheme and we (the Broncos) just don't believe we can acquire the right talent to run Bates' scheme properly). It will be portrayed publically as a mutual decsion to part ways.

2. The Broncos will strip Slowik of his Def Backs coach title, leaving him as the Def Coordinator. Both the Rocky and Post have mentioned that since the bye week, the Broncos defense was switched to Slowik's scheme.

Whether the way to go or not, I'm not saying. Making Slowik the coordinator certainly would not be as sexy as bringing in a new guy, but it avoids having to teach a 'whole new' scheme. The guys here now have been introduced to it and running it for a portion of the year already.

Comment

They do not need to change anything. Keep bates. Keep same D-System. Add so additional youth at DT-S-OLB in free agency while also getting some veteran leadership at DT.

This team is young.

Team has not played a great deal with the same cast.

DJ moved to MLB.

New deffensive system.

new coach for deffense.

- if we change "again" look for things to be the same. You can not keep changing things. This is first year in a while where Washington has not changed everything in free agency and there deffense has been getting better abd better.

This was obviously a re-building year. I think our Broncos still over achieved and is looking very good. I see a lot more positives then negatives with the future of our team.

Comment

Originally posted by neutessa View Post
                        I agree, and I'm not 100% advocating for Bates' dismissal. However, I have a hunch that what will happen is:

1. Bates will be let go. It will be done in such a way for the Broncos and Bates to save face (e.g. Bates wants to coach HIS scheme and we (the Broncos) just don't believe we can acquire the right talent to run Bates' scheme properly). It will be portrayed publically as a mutual decsion to part ways.

2. The Broncos will strip Slowik of his Def Backs coach title, leaving him as the Def Coordinator. Both the Rocky and Post have mentioned that since the bye week, the Broncos defense was switched to Slowik's scheme.

Whether the way to go or not, I'm not saying. Making Slowik the coordinator certainly would not be as sexy as bringing in a new guy, but it avoids having to teach a 'whole new' scheme. The guys here now have been introduced to it and running it for a portion of the year already.
                        I doubt it. Eight in the box isn't a great scheme to be running to stop the run. It leaves the seecondary way to open for big plays. Just how many tackles did Champ have this year compared to last year? I think changing to "Slowik's Scheme" was only to increase the likelihood of winning in the near future(i.e. this year), not an indication of things to come.

Past DCs haven't been axed sooner than 2 years. Bates will stay and if the defense sees a great improvement will probably earn a third year. If the defense performs just as bad... who knows.

Comment

Slowik has proven that he can't get it done as DC. I don't believe we'll ship Bates out so quickly, hell, even Andre Patterson got another season. Look at the number of ST coaches we've not bothered replacing/firing after terrible seasons! I think we'll initially try doing the whole Bates kaboodle but we'll have a "hybrid" backup plan as well. We're a couple of NTs away from being able to do this thing...although maybe an LB or an S may be nice as well. The FO won't be happy but they will know you can't have success without continuity.

*wonders what a "defenCe" is*
                          It's the original spelling
                          Last edited by muse; 12-31-2007, 03:41 PM.
                          sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Bates has never had a good defense without a really good DL, which we do not have.

I think we need to boot him. In hindsight I think it is obvious giving him the job was a mistake.
                            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Just curious....based on the below from today's Rocky and Post (link plus a key part of the story posted from each), my post is looking more likely. Since I posted well before either column was posted, will I offically have 'Broken a Story'? That is, about HOW it will go down...not that Bates will be let go.

Just doing some potential 'tooting of my own horn'. Of course...I could still be made the fool depending on what happens!

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...g-ready-begin/

Search for identity

The rumblings already have started in the Broncos complex that assistant head coach/ defense Jim Bates could reach a settlement on the two years remaining on his contract and part ways with the team if his meetings with Mike Shanahan don't go well.

If Shanahan were to replace Bates by promoting Slowik, an immediate change might come in the blitz packages. In his last season as a coordinator - 2004 in Green Bay - Slowik rushed at least five players on 40 percent of pass plays early in the season and at least five on 29 percent of pass plays by season's end. He rushed at least six on more on 10 percent of pass plays.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7854020

What made it rough and tough, and maybe a tad embarrassing, was Bates had to abandon the defensive philosophy that was so intimately his in midseason. The Bates system at its core is equipped with a seven-man box. Five games into his first season with the Broncos, Bates and coach Mike Shanahan decided this unique system had to go.

The Broncos were so horrific at stopping the run, the more conventional eight-man box was employed.

One of the big questions in the Broncos' offseason concerns whether Shanahan will give Bates another chance in 2008, but there is another way to pose the question: If Bates is forbidden from coaching his system, does he want to return?

"Until we meet and evaluate everything and get a chance to sit down with Mike and go over everything as far as where we're at, I'll leave that unanswered for now," Bates said.
                              Last edited by neutessa; 01-01-2008, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X