Marshall records 100th catch of season - must read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall records 100th catch of season - must read

Marshall records 100th catch of season By Justin WilliamsLongmont Times-Call

DENVER — Jay Cutler smirked a little when asked if he was trying to get Brandon Marshall to 100 receptions for the season.

“How many did he need? Eight?” Cutler quipped.

Cutler knew. Marshall knew. And they both made it a mission to get there Sunday afternoon.

Mission accomplished.Marshall became just the third player in NFL history to hit the 100-reception milestone by his second season, joining Isaac Bruce and Larry Fitzgerald on that short list.

“I’m not going to lie, sometimes I like to be a little shy,” said Marshall, who has been nothing of the sorts this season. “But I had my eye on it. It’s definitely a blessing. The good thing about it, you can’t get content, because there’s much more to come.”

The Broncos certainly hope so. While the words “up and down” fell off most lips in the postgame locker room Sunday when referring to Denver’s 7-9 season, Marshall has consistently been one of the ups.He finished 2007 with 102 catches for 1,325 yards and seven touchdowns. Already, he has immersed himself in the Broncos’ records books, but like he said, he’s not content. That’s why the 6-foot-4 receiver, who made a name for himself this season by showing his athleticism after all those catches, is planning to hook up with Cutler and tight end Tony Scheffler in the offseason.“We’re going to spend a lot of time together,” Marshall said. “We’re going to a nice little area. We’re going to be roommates, and we’re just going to get at it every day. We’re starting early. We’re not going to wait until February or March. We just want to get on the same page.”

Even though his 102 catches rank him second on the Broncos’ all-time list, and the 1,325 yards are the third-most in team history, Marshall believes he’ll get better.“I left a lot of plays out there (this season),” he said. “I’m definitely not content with my play this year, and I’ve got a long way to go if I want to be like that guy Rod Smith over there.”

Smith didn’t play a down of football this season, and his career might even be finished, he said last week. But Smith’s role as mentor was invaluable this season.

“One of the reason’s we’ve had the success we’ve had is because of a guy like Rod Smith,” head coach Mike Shanahan said. “His leadership skills, his playing ability and just the way he worked, even this year when he hasn’t been able to play. He was there consistently for our younger players, and it’s one of the reasons why some of our younger players developed at the rate they did.”Count Marshall at the top of Smith’s list of admirers.

“If it wasn’t for him, half those catches, I wouldn’t have, or half those yards,” Marshall said. “All I can do is just pick his brain. But he lives right around the corner, and all I’m going to do is just bug him. I’m just going to knock on his door, even if it’s just to watch TV with him, and I’m going to continue to pick his brain.“Rod’s the type of guy, he doesn’t mind.

When I first got drafted, he wasn’t threatened. He said, ‘I want you take my position, and I’m going to teach you everything I know,’ and that’s exactly what he’s done. But I’m pretty sure in that big ol’ head, there’s a lot more knowledge I can get from it.”

After the game, Smith wouldn’t elaborate on his future, or if he even gave thought to the idea that it could be his last postgame interview as a player.“I’ve done that for the past five years, because you never know when it’s going to end,” said Smith, who might have to endure another hip surgery this offseason, which would likely end his career.

“If it is, I’m glad our guys played the way they did.”Smith acknowledged Marshall’s feat and his ability, and even said the youngster will probably take down all the records Smith has spent the past 13 years compiling.

“It’s possible, but that’s Rod Smith. That’s a legend,” Marshall said. “The one thing about Rod, he’s won games. I haven’t won since I’ve been here. He won Super Bowls. I haven’t done that. All those records, all those yards, it means nothing if I don’t win.” *

----------------------------------------------
    I work at Vanderbilt University

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Originally posted by cutlerfan View Post
    Marshall records 100th catch of season By Justin WilliamsLongmont Times-Call

DENVER — Jay Cutler smirked a little when asked if he was trying to get Brandon Marshall to 100 receptions for the season.

“How many did he need? Eight?” Cutler quipped.

Cutler knew. Marshall knew. And they both made it a mission to get there Sunday afternoon.

Mission accomplished.Marshall became just the third player in NFL history to hit the 100-reception milestone by his second season, joining Isaac Bruce and Larry Fitzgerald on that short list.

“I’m not going to lie, sometimes I like to be a little shy,” said Marshall, who has been nothing of the sorts this season. “But I had my eye on it. It’s definitely a blessing. The good thing about it, you can’t get content, because there’s much more to come.”

The Broncos certainly hope so. While the words “up and down” fell off most lips in the postgame locker room Sunday when referring to Denver’s 7-9 season, Marshall has consistently been one of the ups.He finished 2007 with 102 catches for 1,325 yards and seven touchdowns. Already, he has immersed himself in the Broncos’ records books, but like he said, he’s not content. That’s why the 6-foot-4 receiver, who made a name for himself this season by showing his athleticism after all those catches, is planning to hook up with Cutler and tight end Tony Scheffler in the offseason.“We’re going to spend a lot of time together,” Marshall said. “We’re going to a nice little area. We’re going to be roommates, and we’re just going to get at it every day. We’re starting early. We’re not going to wait until February or March. We just want to get on the same page.”

Even though his 102 catches rank him second on the Broncos’ all-time list, and the 1,325 yards are the third-most in team history, Marshall believes he’ll get better.“I left a lot of plays out there (this season),” he said. “I’m definitely not content with my play this year, and I’ve got a long way to go if I want to be like that guy Rod Smith over there.”

Smith didn’t play a down of football this season, and his career might even be finished, he said last week. But Smith’s role as mentor was invaluable this season.

“One of the reason’s we’ve had the success we’ve had is because of a guy like Rod Smith,” head coach Mike Shanahan said. “His leadership skills, his playing ability and just the way he worked, even this year when he hasn’t been able to play. He was there consistently for our younger players, and it’s one of the reasons why some of our younger players developed at the rate they did.”Count Marshall at the top of Smith’s list of admirers.

“If it wasn’t for him, half those catches, I wouldn’t have, or half those yards,” Marshall said. “All I can do is just pick his brain. But he lives right around the corner, and all I’m going to do is just bug him. I’m just going to knock on his door, even if it’s just to watch TV with him, and I’m going to continue to pick his brain.“Rod’s the type of guy, he doesn’t mind.

When I first got drafted, he wasn’t threatened. He said, ‘I want you take my position, and I’m going to teach you everything I know,’ and that’s exactly what he’s done. But I’m pretty sure in that big ol’ head, there’s a lot more knowledge I can get from it.”

After the game, Smith wouldn’t elaborate on his future, or if he even gave thought to the idea that it could be his last postgame interview as a player.“I’ve done that for the past five years, because you never know when it’s going to end,” said Smith, who might have to endure another hip surgery this offseason, which would likely end his career.

“If it is, I’m glad our guys played the way they did.”Smith acknowledged Marshall’s feat and his ability, and even said the youngster will probably take down all the records Smith has spent the past 13 years compiling.

“It’s possible, but that’s Rod Smith. That’s a legend,” Marshall said. “The one thing about Rod, he’s won games. I haven’t won since I’ve been here. He won Super Bowls. I haven’t done that. All those records, all those yards, it means nothing if I don’t win.” *

Enough said....!
    I owe CP's to: no one

Comment

Again...

Amazing article.

CP if I can give it out yet.

Comment

It's great to see Marshall looking forward to the future, and caring so much more about winning than catches, yards, and touchdowns.

Comment

The Broncos certainly hope so. While the words “up and down” fell off most lips in the postgame locker room Sunday when referring to Denver’s 7-9 season, Marshall has consistently been one of the ups.He finished 2007 with 102 catches for 1,325 yards and seven touchdowns. Already, he has immersed himself in the Broncos’ records books, but like he said, he’s not content. That’s why the 6-foot-4 receiver, who made a name for himself this season by showing his athleticism after all those catches, is planning to hook up with Cutler and tight end Tony Scheffler in the offseason.“We’re going to spend a lot of time together,” Marshall said. “We’re going to a nice little area. We’re going to be roommates, and we’re just going to get at it every day. We’re starting early. We’re not going to wait until February or March. We just want to get on the same page.” *
          Sweet. Hey Cutlerfan, think theyre living in Nashville for the off-season?
          sigpic

And THAT'S, the Cosmic Perspective.

Comment

That was excellent. I'd cp you if I could.

RIP D-Will and Nash

Comment

Originally posted by Gr3yStreet View Post
              Sweet. Hey Cutlerfan, think theyre living in Nashville for the off-season?
              In the Monday night game Vs. the Chargers a reporter said the three of them would be working out in Atlanta.

Comment

Great read

Comment

Originally posted by GoblinSlayer View Post
                  In the Monday night game Vs. the Chargers a reporter said the three of them would be working out in Atlanta.
                  From what I have heard it is a QB camp in Atlanta. Brady has been there as well as the Manning brothers. Cutler went there before the draft and trained. The guy who runs it said that of all the QB's he has worked with Jay was the best. Do me a favor look up in my posts and I have a story on this. I will give a CP to who finds it. I would do it I just don't have the time. It is a good story.

Thanks
                  Last edited by cutlerfan; 12-31-2007, 11:34 AM.

Where Jay Graduated!

I tell you I love Elway! He was my hero growing up. I loved the way he threw the ball with velocity! I love that in a QB. This is why I am a Cutlerfan!!

Comment

He is so flippen Awesome!!!

Comment

From what I have heard it is a QB camp in Atlanta. Brady has been there as well as the Manning brothers. Cutler went there before the draft and trained. The guy who runs it said that of all the QB's he has worked with Jay was the best. Do me a favor look up in my posts and I have a story on this. I will give a CP to who finds it. I would do it I just don't have the time. It is a good story.

Thanks
                      Was this it? (yes, I'm bored ) http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...highlight=camp

Link is dead now, though.
                      "I'm never going to lose to Denver, watch." - Colt McCoy (2010 NFL Draft)

Comment

I think the two most important things to take from this article are Brandon Marshall's desire to win first and stat check later, and that he is smart enough to know that he isn't close to being as good as he can be and that Knowledge is going to make him better. I love the Im gonna knock on his door just to watch TV line. This shows the kid is ready to be a great player. He's flirting with greatness already after 2 years in the league.
                        If he stays healthy, things are going to be roses for Denver fans for the next ten years..

ROD SMITH= CLASS, STRENGTH, NEVER QUIT,,,,

We as Bronco's fans should consider ourselves lucky to have had the pleasure of a guy Like Rod...
                        Mid_evil_thymz

Comment

Good to read. Glad to hear the desire and dedication is there and that this triumvirate... the next elway-smith-sharpe... in cutler-marshall-scheffler will spend the off season together bonding...

Having this group on the same mental page will mean two more wins...

Next year we win the GB game...
                          Next year we score more TDs in the red zone...

This is good news.

As much as I would love to grab a manningham... This is why DEN needs to draft either OT, DT or S with their first round pick... Take a LB with their second round pick...

Grab a WR in the 4th round and hope to net another Marsh!

Comment

I could really care less if he has 1 or 1`000 catches, they need to start winning, they need a defense, and the need a more balanced offensive attack.

Comment

Originally posted by CB123 View Post
                              Was this it? (yes, I'm bored ) http://forums.denverbroncos.com/show...highlight=camp

Link is dead now, though.
                              Thank you for taking the time! CP to you.

Here is what it said

I had Donovan McNabb, Michael Vick, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Tom Brady," Shaw said. "All those guys trained with me, a whole group of great quarterbacks.

I never say this about any athlete, because people are always saying 'I've got the best guy, I've got the best guy,' but Jay Cutler has the potential to be better than every one of those guys."

–“He's a great talent, he's got a great arm, his hand will go around the ball like Tom Brady," Shaw said. "He throws a great football whether it's 4 degrees or 80 degrees. You can't say that about Donovan or Peyton or Eli.

When it's windy, their ball flutters."Jay Cutler, this kid has potential to be as good or better than all of them. He has all the tools. He runs fast. He's the strongest quarterback I've ever worked with.

He's got the great attributes of all the good ones. He reads. He wants to learn about offenses and defenses. I don't see anything negative abut Jay Cutler." – Tom Shaw, NFL Trainer
                              Last edited by cutlerfan; 12-31-2007, 05:03 PM.

Where Jay Graduated!

Comment

Working...
                              X