Foxworth: "Holes on the defensive line"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foxworth: "Holes on the defensive line"

On denverbroncos.com watch the video of Foxworth. He is asked something about talent

He states the secondary has loads of talent, the linebacking core is strong, but the defensive line has some holes to fill

I think our offseason will be dedicate to fixing that interior Dline and DTs. Its not common when a player just flat out says we need help HERE and throws his teamates under a bus. WE NEED DTs and hopefully the coaching staff agrees with Foxy cause I sure do.

B-Marsh owning Al Harris(Aka: the supposed most physical corner in the league)

Mock Draft:

**If Ellis/Dorsey fall**

1) Dorsey or Ellis(whoever falls)
    2) Devin Thomas
    4) Frank Okam
    4) Beau Bell

**If Ellis/Dorsey dont fall**

1) Desean Jackson
    2) Pat Sims or Trevor Laws(whoever falls)
    4) Frank Okam
    4) Beau Bell

It's also not common to give up more points than the franchise has in 40 years.

Comment

Originally posted by ChampWJ View Post
      It's also not common to give up more points than the franchise has in 40 years.
      o....k.......thats why hes pleading for DTs

B-Marsh owning Al Harris(Aka: the supposed most physical corner in the league)

Mock Draft:

**If Ellis/Dorsey fall**

1) Dorsey or Ellis(whoever falls)
      2) Devin Thomas
      4) Frank Okam
      4) Beau Bell

**If Ellis/Dorsey dont fall**

1) Desean Jackson
      2) Pat Sims or Trevor Laws(whoever falls)
      4) Frank Okam
      4) Beau Bell

Comment

I like Dominique Foxworth a lot. I think he's a smart guy and the type of character you want on your team.

That said, he's in no position to be critiquing specific positions on defense.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncs2bowl View Post
          o....k.......thats why hes pleading for DTs
          I should have made my point more clear. When a team has this terrible of a season defensively, it's not the least bit surprising to me to hear some of the players talk about what needs to be fixed. They're all frustrated, and I'm sure they all know there is a glaring weakness on our line. If the line could hold their own, it frees up everyone else on the D to focus on their position.

Comment

I honestly don't see Foxworth here next year. He wants to be a starting CB and I think he'll give it a go somewhere else.

Comment

Foxworth is right we have been talking aobut it all season and a player sees whats going on also and i also see foxowrth here next year but not starting
              sigpicR.I.P Darrent Williams and Damien Nash
              GO BRONCOS

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                I like Dominique Foxworth a lot. I think he's a smart guy and the type of character you want on your team.

That said, he's in no position to be critiquing specific positions on defense.
                I was thinking the same thing. He doesn't have a lot of ground to stand on when it comes to holding his own. He filled in at safety, but there was a drop-off when he did, and same with corner.

Comment

Originally posted by gobroncsnv View Post
                  I was thinking the same thing. He doesn't have a lot of ground to stand on when it comes to holding his own. He filled in at safety, but there was a drop-off when he did, and same with corner.

I agree

I also find it comical that everyone seems to think its the D-Line thats only screwed up when several times I have watched our LB's whiff or get ran over and our Secondary constantly get blown up or just generally be out of posistion.

Sure our D-line could use a upgrade at DT, but so could our Secondary and LB core and just as much.

I know someone will say But if we had a good pass rush then the secondary and LB's would not be getting beat so bad. But seriously now folks, I can't tell you how many times I have seen the QB take a 3 step drop and then toss to a wide open Reciever or TE. No amount of pass rush in the league can help when your guys can cover a guy for 3 freaking seconds.
                  Last edited by PaperBagBronco; 12-31-2007, 02:31 PM.

Comment

I agree with your agreement... (I'm caught in a loop...)

But I think the priority has to be making improvements from front to back... Dline, then LB's, then DB's. Foxy's comments are correct, IMO, but he's not in any position to be calling out someone else's play, at all. We do need help at safety, to shore up our numbers, and I'm pretty sure he's never gonna be all-pro at that position. Nor does he have much of a shot at starting at CB for us.

Comment

He's right

But until he can cover a TE he should shut the <bleep> up.
                      "What I can promise is that...I’m going to play like my hair’s on fire. I’ve found that when you play that way, making plays just happens naturally.”

Comment

Originally posted by DiehardinAlaska View Post
                        But until he can cover a TE he should shut the <bleep> up.
                        Remeber Diehard... he's not supposed to cover a tight end.

The guy isn't even a safety (like Sam Brandon was) who can shut down or limit a tight end.

Comment

Originally posted by PaperBagBronco View Post
                          I agree

I also find it comical that everyone seems to think its the D-Line thats only screwed up when several times I have watched our LB's whiff or get ran over and our Secondary constantly get blown up or just generally be out of posistion.

Sure our D-line could use a upgrade at DT, but so could our Secondary and LB core and just as much.

I know someone will say But if we had a good pass rush then the secondary and LB's would not be getting beat so bad. But seriously now folks, I can't tell you how many times I have seen the QB take a 3 step drop and then toss to a wide open Reciever or TE. No amount of pass rush in the league can help when your guys can cover a guy for 3 freaking seconds.
                          This is just flat all wrong.

It all begins with the d-line up front. If they don't pressure the QB, then he can pick apart the secondary. Having Champ Bailey and Dre Bly is totally wasted if you need to keep 8 men on the line to stop the run. Of course you're going to see big plays to the TE and #3 WR coming open underneath, then running for a 1st down right up the middle.

The entire season, the Broncos defense had to compensate for totally inadequate d-line play. They safeties and LBs had to cheat up to the line just to fill gaps because the DTs were constantly getting blown up. Then if a RB breaks through there's nobody for 20 yards to tackle him, putting even more pressure on the CBs and safeties.

Believe me, it's not a good thing if your #1 starting CB is 2nd on the team in tackles! I don't care how good a tackler Champ Bailey is, he should NOT have more tackles than both starting DTs taken together.

Unless that changes, the Broncos won't win more than 8 games next year either.

It wouldn't matter if they had a young Ray Lewis back there at LB, without a good D-line, nothing works and it makes everybody else look bad.

For instance, was Dre Bly beaten this year? Yes. Did he all too often have to have single coverage on a speedy WR? Yes. Why was there no safety help over the top?

Answer: Because the safeties have to play up to the line to stop the run leaving both CBs alone on an island, matched up one-on-one. Sometimes when that happens you're going to get burned.

It's not so bad if the d-line is getting consistent pressure, then the QB can't throw deep on your CB in single coverage. But, if they're not, it's "one-one-thousand, two-one-thousand, three-one-thousand, four-one-thousand, throw 30 yards downfield to the open guy."
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm going to have to say, that although we fans believe the problem is with the DL, specifically DT and DE opposite of Dumervil, I find it extremely disturbing to see a player openly criticize his teammates. In all of Jake Plummer's struggles, Quentin Griffin's struggles, place your player's name here_______________ struggles, I haven't heard of a player from the Broncos pointing it out to the media for all the world to see or read.

That was a mistake on his part.

If that is the type of person he is, he may not be the kind of person that this team needs or wants, despite his ability.

And this hurts me, because I've always liked Foxworth.
                            Personal goals: GOAL WEIGHT = 250lbs
                            Weight loss needed for FGW = 120 lbs
                            Weight lost so far: - 24 lbs

Comment

I don't know, he's not saying anything different than what we have been saying here.

Comment

Working...
                              X