No announcement yet.

Foxworth: "Holes on the defensive line"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never been really impressed with Foxworth as a cornerback or a safety. I think he should keep his mouth shut about what needs to be fixed and worry about becoming a better football player himself. It's the coaching staff's job to decide what needs to be fixed.

That being said. He's right about the interior of the defensive line needing to be fixed. Assuming Bates will be back next year, we need two big run stuffers for the middle of the line.

I think he's wrong about the linebacker corps being strong. I would like to see the Broncos draft a linebacker in the first round, whether it's a MLB or a WLB, either one is fine with me.
    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
    You Mad Bro?
    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

^thats exactly what i just said he is just stating a fact i think the broncos are fed up with the season and how it went and they are just blowing off some steam just like Javon.
      sigpicR.I.P Darrent Williams and Damien Nash
      GO BRONCOS

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel View Post
        This is just flat all wrong.

It all begins with the d-line up front. If they don't pressure the QB, then he can pick apart the secondary. Having Champ Bailey and Dre Bly is totally wasted if you need to keep 8 men on the line to stop the run. Of course you're going to see big plays to the TE and #3 WR coming open underneath, then running for a 1st down right up the middle.

The entire season, the Broncos defense had to compensate for totally inadequate d-line play. They safeties and LBs had to cheat up to the line just to fill gaps because the DTs were constantly getting blown up. Then if a RB breaks through there's nobody for 20 yards to tackle him, putting even more pressure on the CBs and safeties.

Believe me, it's not a good thing if your #1 starting CB is 2nd on the team in tackles! I don't care how good a tackler Champ Bailey is, he should NOT have more tackles than both starting DTs taken together.

Unless that changes, the Broncos won't win more than 8 games next year either.

It wouldn't matter if they had a young Ray Lewis back there at LB, without a good D-line, nothing works and it makes everybody else look bad.

For instance, was Dre Bly beaten this year? Yes. Did he all too often have to have single coverage on a speedy WR? Yes. Why was there no safety help over the top?

Answer: Because the safeties have to play up to the line to stop the run leaving both CBs alone on an island, matched up one-on-one. Sometimes when that happens you're going to get burned.

It's not so bad if the d-line is getting consistent pressure, then the QB can't throw deep on your CB in single coverage. But, if they're not, it's "one-one-thousand, two-one-thousand, three-one-thousand, four-one-thousand, throw 30 yards downfield to the open guy."
        I am tired of screaming the exact same thing that you said here. I been at this for more than 4 years and the whole BROwNsCo's defensive line experiment failed..

Football is and always will be a game WON or LOST at the line of scrimmage. Period.

When a ****** like Philip Rivers has enough time to shred a defense what do you think that Manning and Brady are going to do?

We have been consistently at the bottom of the league in pressure on the opposing QB's for almost 5 years. The problem IS the line. It needs to be addressed by EVERYONE on the team.
        Foxworth was just stating the obviuos here. Its not really throwing the rest of the team under the bus. The players he is talking about jumped under it themselves..

Say what you will about his credibility being only a backup, but someone had to say it. I aint mad at him for it. Would you all have felt better if it was Champ or Lynch saying this?

Or should noone ever criticize their teammates? Someone has to be accountable here. If the guy's you battle with can't criticize you then who can?
        FIX THE LINE and the defense will be better. No doubt in my mind..
        Mid_Evil_thymz

Comment

Originally posted by mid_evil_thymz View Post
          I am tired of screaming the exact same thing that you said here. I been at this for more than 4 years and the whole BROwNsCo's defensive line experiment failed..

Football is and always will be a game WON or LOST at the line of scrimmage. Period.

When a ****** like Philip Rivers has enough time to shred a defense what do you think that Manning and Brady are going to do?

We have been consistently at the bottom of the league in pressure on the opposing QB's for almost 5 years. The problem IS the line. It needs to be addressed by EVERYONE on the team.
          Foxworth was just stating the obviuos here. Its not really throwing the rest of the team under the bus. The players he is talking about jumped under it themselves..

Say what you will about his credibility being only a backup, but someone had to say it. I aint mad at him for it. Would you all have felt better if it was Champ or Lynch saying this?

Or should noone ever criticize their teammates? Someone has to be accountable here. If the guy's you battle with can't criticize you then who can?
          FIX THE LINE and the defense will be better. No doubt in my mind..
          Mid_Evil_thymz
          The criticism should have remained in the locker room. He had no business talking to media about it. He should have kept his comments more generic or kept his mouth shut all together.
          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
          You Mad Bro?
          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel View Post
            This is just flat all wrong.

It all begins with the d-line up front. If they don't pressure the QB, then he can pick apart the secondary. Having Champ Bailey and Dre Bly is totally wasted if you need to keep 8 men on the line to stop the run. Of course you're going to see big plays to the TE and #3 WR coming open underneath, then running for a 1st down right up the middle.

The entire season, the Broncos defense had to compensate for totally inadequate d-line play. They safeties and LBs had to cheat up to the line just to fill gaps because the DTs were constantly getting blown up. Then if a RB breaks through there's nobody for 20 yards to tackle him, putting even more pressure on the CBs and safeties.

Believe me, it's not a good thing if your #1 starting CB is 2nd on the team in tackles! I don't care how good a tackler Champ Bailey is, he should NOT have more tackles than both starting DTs taken together.

Unless that changes, the Broncos won't win more than 8 games next year either.

It wouldn't matter if they had a young Ray Lewis back there at LB, without a good D-line, nothing works and it makes everybody else look bad.

For instance, was Dre Bly beaten this year? Yes. Did he all too often have to have single coverage on a speedy WR? Yes. Why was there no safety help over the top?

Answer: Because the safeties have to play up to the line to stop the run leaving both CBs alone on an island, matched up one-on-one. Sometimes when that happens you're going to get burned.

It's not so bad if the d-line is getting consistent pressure, then the QB can't throw deep on your CB in single coverage. But, if they're not, it's "one-one-thousand, two-one-thousand, three-one-thousand, four-one-thousand, throw 30 yards downfield to the open guy."

Honestly I cannot believe I even read half of that essay. But anyways I totally disagree with the part I did read, I stand by my statement and say that no Dline in the world can help when your secondary could not cover a 80 year old grandmother of 12.

With the exception of Champ and Bly (on a few occasions anyways) our secondary was average at best. You can spout off about how the safties where always up at the line all you want, but the fact that we were last in the league agianst stopping 3rd downs (a passing down....) makes your huge block of text pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by PaperBagBronco View Post
              Honestly I cannot believe I even read half of that essay. But anyways I totally disagree with the part I did read, I stand by my statement and say that no Dline in the world can help when your secondary could not cover a 80 year old grandmother of 12.

With the exception of Champ and Bly (on a few occasions anyways) our secondary was average at best. You can spout off about how the safties where always up at the line all you want, but the fact that we were last in the league agianst stopping 3rd downs (a passing down....) makes your huge block of text pointless.
              I have to disagree with you again here.. The reason that we couldn't stop 3rd and long this year started right up fron't. Any Qb who is given 9 to 13seconds behind the line will have an open reciever. And guys regardless of how good they are defensively can't cover for that long in the secondary. The offensive player is always at an advantage anyway, because he dictates the routes and the changes in patterns etc.
              If there is not time to get the recievers into their spot and allow for them to make the plays they cannot.
              That comes down to Pressure. If you hurry the passer then he MUST act according to YOU. Then the defensive player is dictating...

How can you argue this point? Its impoosible to throw the ball downfield with 4 guys stanging on your chest..../

Mid_Evil_thymz

Comment

Originally posted by PowderAddict View Post
                I don't know, he's not saying anything different than what we have been saying here.
                Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't disgree with his assessment - I think it's dead-on.

But there's a difference between fans grumbling and making statements about the team, and an actual player doing it. To me, other players shouldn't pass judgment on other players. He basically stated that the defensive line was the problem this season on defense, and you just can't throw teammates under the bus like that.
                sigpic

Comment

yup

Originally posted by gobroncsnv View Post
                  I was thinking the same thing. He doesn't have a lot of ground to stand on when it comes to holding his own. He filled in at safety, but there was a drop-off when he did, and same with corner.
                  Exactly, I am not sure that Foxy should be evaluating talent. Evenm though he spent that majority of the year on the sidelines! Whe he did play its not like he lit the field on fire with fantastic play. I don't care how fast he finished his college degree, but I do like him on The Monday Night Blitz.
                  It's not just football, its Broncos Football, there IS a difference!

God, why didn't I call Mr. Bowlen back?http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...kbl/jayjay.jpg

Comment

The season is over. He stated the obvious after being asked a direct question. I would hope that the area he was pointing out will not have the same personnel next year. I don't see his statement as a big deal.
                    Last edited by Dean; 01-01-2008, 10:32 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                    X