Big Transition In 2008!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Transition In 2008!

Denver is facing an off-season of the greatest uncertainty of the entire decade after the disastrous 7-9 season.

Unfortunately, the team is no longer just a "few players" away from competing for a championship and needs help at a lot of positions. Here's a look at all the new starters the Broncos are going to need in 2008! (And now you want to get rid of Henry too?)

1. Javon "Denver is not for me" Walker. Javon's defection is a huge blow. Right now there is no reliable #2 WR besides Brandon Stokely. Brandon Marshall has emerged as a good young player, but he's only 1 guy. I would wish that the Broncos could work this out with Javon, because they desperately need having 2 or 3 WRs each of whom is a real threat. If Marshall is hurt at all there's basically NO WRs worth mentioning. Stokely is NOT capable of being a #1 WR, even he admits that.

So, getting a legitimate #2 WR with speed and hands and the ability to be the go-to guy if Marshall is hurt is now a big need either in FA or in the draft. Otherwise defenses will all double Marshall and his production will go down next year.

2. SS John Lynch is leaning towards retirement. This entire year has been a huge downer from Darrent's death to the losing season. Lynch doesn't need another season of this and right now it looks like the Broncos are a couple of years away from contending for a SB.

That means that S instantly becomes a prime need. Abdullah came out of nowhere to take the FS position, but nobody is ready to replace Lynch. That's just a HUGE hole on the defense that needs fixing. Look for the Broncos to look to acquire a FS via FA. But, losing Lynch is like losing Al Wilson last year - nobody's going to replace that veteran leadership. It's just a big hole that nothing can really fill.

3. OL. You saw the Chargers just run flat over the Denver O-line. Next year, hopefully they get Ben Hamilton and Tom Nalen back, but neither is young anymore. The Broncos need a serious talent upgrade here both at LG and RG/RT where Montrae Holland hasn't impressed at all.

This might be the biggest need of all, since you can't have Cutler getting creamed like that every game next year. The Chargers outscored the Broncos by about 40 points this season and the O-line was a big reason why.

4. DT. Another HUGE need. The Broncos brought in every FA they could find and nobody managed to do the job. Look to the Broncos to try the FA pool again, but they really need at least TWO and preferably THREE new DTs for 2008, keeping only Marcus Thomas.

They could draft 1 DT and get one via FA, but it won't be cheap and might not be possible at all to get what they need.

The defense will only be as good as the D-line. Right now that's not very good.

5. RB. Andre Hall and Selvin Young played well in 2007, but the team needs as many quality RBs as they can possibly get. Three or even 4 is by no means too many considering that Young, Hall and Henry all were injured for parts of 2007. Look for the Broncos to re-do Henry's contract and keep him for 2008.

You haters might not like that but the odds are great that they won't just give up on him.
    sigpic

In my mind the best case scenario is that Lynch and Javon stay because they're two fewer headaches that the team has to deal with. We will, however, still have to pick up an S in any case.

On the D Line, Thomas has done well for a rookie and McKinley hasn't been bad. They've desperately needed a nose tackle however. I've stated quite a lot that picking up 2 NTs - one high draft pick and one vet would be ideal. We have 4-way rotation, two NTs and two penetrating DTs. That's a solid rotation and would be a great upgrade at the position.

The OL will definitely be better if Nalen returns. I'm willing to give Pears another chance considering he had to move to RT this season and the LT-RT switch and vice versa isn't that easy. Lepsis should hang them up...he was an elite LT two years ago but he's declined and been a little exposed this season. The interior is definitely the more solid part of the line which should be ok with a little more experience. The biggest problem this year is having 3 young guys (including a C) with very little experience starting together. Even Holland was at a disadvantage having only gotten into the system this year.

Next year could be better than we think. But I'm pretty sure we should be at least 8-8 (with a strong finish).
    sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

I honestly think we keep both javon and henry even after the comments javon said that if he was wanted back he would stay that being said i think he going through the motions of d-will and being hurt basically the whole season. I think Nalen and Lepsis stay one more year and the oline becomes better here is my starters for next year.

QB-Jay Cutler
      RB-Travis Henry
      FB-? could be sapp but unlikely
      WR-Brandon Marshall
      WR-Javon Walker(if he stays huge year)
      TE-Daniel Graham
      TE-Tony Scheffler
      LT-Matt Lepsis
      LG-Ben Hamilton(hopefully healthy)
      C-Tom Nalen(one more year)
      RG-Chris Kuper(has played well with what he has had)
      RT-draft pick or Pears gets another chance

so not alot of changes but i think if we get our starting oline back we will be successful. Anyone disagree or agree.
      sigpicR.I.P Darrent Williams and Damien Nash
      GO BRONCOS

Comment

Originally posted by ndbroncofan07 View Post
        I honestly think we keep both javon and henry even after the comments javon said that if he was wanted back he would stay that being said i think he going through the motions of d-will and being hurt basically the whole season. I think Nalen and Lepsis stay one more year and the oline becomes better here is my starters for next year.

QB-Jay Cutler
        RB-Travis Henry
        FB-? could be sapp but unlikely
        WR-Brandon Marshall
        WR-Javon Walker(if he stays huge year)
        TE-Daniel Graham
        TE-Tony Scheffler
        LT-Matt Lepsis
        LG-Ben Hamilton(hopefully healthy)
        C-Tom Nalen(one more year)
        RG-Chris Kuper(has played well with what he has had)
        RT-draft pick or Pears gets another chance

so not alot of changes but i think if we get our starting oline back we will be successful. Anyone disagree or agree.
        Lepsis was so out of character this season. Either his knee wasnt healed or he was scared to test it....I dont know. I've heard that it takes a full year to recover so we'll see.

But if the Broncos decide he's the man for the job, I hope next season is a big bounce back for him.
        sigpic

Comment

Stokes has proved himself to be a very reliable #2 WR.
          The Valiant History of the AFC West (Except for the Chargers):

Denver Broncos: 2x World Champions. 6x AFC Champions. Overall Record: (.532)
          Oakland Raiders: 3x World Champions. 5x AFC Champions. Overall Record: (.590)
          Kansas City Chiefs: 1x World Champions. 2x AFC Champions. Overall Record: (.528)
          San Diego Chargers: NEVER BEEN WORLD CHAMPIONS. 1x AFC Champions. Overall Record: (.493)
          sigpic

Comment

im interested to see what we do at full back sapp has shown some flashes of being good but i dont know if he is the guy we are looking for.
            GO BRONCOS

Comment

stokley has been very good but if javon stays i dont see stokley passing javon
              GO BRONCOS

Comment

If Nalen does walk, I think we're ok with Myers. He has filled in pretty well.

JWalk sounds like he just doesn't want to face the reality of being one who is due for a paycut. Right now, in my book, he owes us a year of less money, since he didn't earn any this year.

I could live with seeing Lynch back, but won't be shocked if he hits the silk.

I have liked watching Winborn play. For only 2-3 weeks on the job, we haven't missed a beat without Gold. Odds are, we'll fish really hard this off-season in the LB pond.

We DO need to go after DT, especially in agreement with the NT style player. This line needs an ANCHOR.

Still need to address the right side of the oline, and can Lepsis get his ship righted? Stink had multiple surgeries on his knees, and finished his career at a VERY high level for us. Maybe Matt could do the same?
                But I think we'll go after some FA talent on oline, as well.

RB, I think is Young's job to lose now. Doubt we let Henry go, but we have more slash with Selvin in there, and he can break a tackle to get in the open as well.

Seems like this offseason is gonna need to be more active than last, which is saying a LOT.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnElwayAce07 View Post
                  Stokes has proved himself to be a very reliable #2 WR.
                  that's true, but he's much better in the slot. So we need another reliable #2.

That being said, hello BERNARD BERRIAN!

He will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, and would be a great pickup.

a great pickup if Walker gets cut or refuses to take a pay cut and gets released.

He's a great deep threat and pretty quick to say the least.

I'll show you a few vids.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d804c1f22

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8041ffaf

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80349c7b

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d801dfb88

I'm getting excited just thinking about him being with the Broncos. Now the question remaining is if the Bears will let him walk and if they do, how much will he cost?

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel View Post
                    Denver is facing an off-season of the greatest uncertainty of the entire decade after the disastrous 7-9 season.

Unfortunately, the team is no longer just a "few players" away from competing for a championship and needs help at a lot of positions. Here's a look at all the new starters the Broncos are going to need in 2008! (And now you want to get rid of Henry too?)

1. Javon "Denver is not for me" Walker. Javon's defection is a huge blow. Right now there is no reliable #2 WR besides Brandon Stokely. Brandon Marshall has emerged as a good young player, but he's only 1 guy. I would wish that the Broncos could work this out with Javon, because they desperately need having 2 or 3 WRs each of whom is a real threat. If Marshall is hurt at all there's basically NO WRs worth mentioning. Stokely is NOT capable of being a #1 WR, even he admits that.

So, getting a legitimate #2 WR with speed and hands and the ability to be the go-to guy if Marshall is hurt is now a big need either in FA or in the draft. Otherwise defenses will all double Marshall and his production will go down next year.

2. SS John Lynch is leaning towards retirement. This entire year has been a huge downer from Darrent's death to the losing season. Lynch doesn't need another season of this and right now it looks like the Broncos are a couple of years away from contending for a SB.

That means that S instantly becomes a prime need. Abdullah came out of nowhere to take the FS position, but nobody is ready to replace Lynch. That's just a HUGE hole on the defense that needs fixing. Look for the Broncos to look to acquire a FS via FA. But, losing Lynch is like losing Al Wilson last year - nobody's going to replace that veteran leadership. It's just a big hole that nothing can really fill.

3. OL. You saw the Chargers just run flat over the Denver O-line. Next year, hopefully they get Ben Hamilton and Tom Nalen back, but neither is young anymore. The Broncos need a serious talent upgrade here both at LG and RG/RT where Montrae Holland hasn't impressed at all.

This might be the biggest need of all, since you can't have Cutler getting creamed like that every game next year. The Chargers outscored the Broncos by about 40 points this season and the O-line was a big reason why.

4. DT. Another HUGE need. The Broncos brought in every FA they could find and nobody managed to do the job. Look to the Broncos to try the FA pool again, but they really need at least TWO and preferably THREE new DTs for 2008, keeping only Marcus Thomas.

They could draft 1 DT and get one via FA, but it won't be cheap and might not be possible at all to get what they need.

The defense will only be as good as the D-line. Right now that's not very good.

5. RB. Andre Hall and Selvin Young played well in 2007, but the team needs as many quality RBs as they can possibly get. Three or even 4 is by no means too many considering that Young, Hall and Henry all were injured for parts of 2007. Look for the Broncos to re-do Henry's contract and keep him for 2008.

You haters might not like that but the odds are great that they won't just give up on him.
                    I think your way off, we dont need a big transition in '08. We are a few D tackles away from being another sleeper team for the SB. We couldnt stop the run and it trickled down into the other areas of the team......LB's, secondary, and I thin it even affected the offense's rhythm. With Cutler, Marshall and Scheffle we have our triangle in the pass game. And with Young and Hall, and Mike Bell, Travis Henry becomes expendable, but even if he stays we still have a decent run game. Special temas will have to improve, and we may need a new special temas coach cause this year was ridiculous, but other than that no changes need to be made. We just need continuity more than anything. No team goes to the superbowl with a bunch of new faces every year.
                    dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Beast#7 View Post
                      that's true, but he's much better in the slot. So we need another reliable #2.

That being said, hello BERNARD BERRIAN!

He will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, and would be a great pickup.

a great pickup if Walker gets cut or refuses to take a pay cut and gets released.

He's a great deep threat and pretty quick to say the least.

I'll show you a few vids.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d804c1f22

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8041ffaf

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80349c7b

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d801dfb88

I'm getting excited just thinking about him being with the Broncos. Now the question remaining is if the Bears will let him walk and if they do, how much will he cost?
                      I like the idea of getting Berrian.

I wouldnt mind having Lelie back either, I'm sure he's not happy being a #3 WR in San Fran
                      dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

I like Berrian but if i had the chose i would like to see walker over berrian
                        GO BRONCOS

Comment

I like Berrian but if i had the chose i would like to see walker over berrian
                          the thing is, Walker wants out. So we'll be looking for the next best thing

Comment

I know that but nothing has happened yet but we will see. Do you think Berrian is better than most of the 1st-4th round draft picks as far as WR.
                            GO BRONCOS

Comment

I know that but nothing has happened yet but we will see. Do you think Berrian is better than most of the 1st-4th round draft picks as far as WR.
                              berrian is proven. and I honestly don't think WR will be a big need in the draft

Comment

Working...
                              X