No announcement yet.

Big Transition In 2008!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i agree with you on that but maybe there could be another WR not really heard about like Brandon Marshall but Berrian would be nice i guess i just dont want walker to go.
    sigpicR.I.P Darrent Williams and Damien Nash
    GO BRONCOS

Comment

Originally posted by Return of Lava View Post
      I think your way off, we dont need a big transition in '08. We are a few D tackles away from being another sleeper team for the SB. We couldnt stop the run and it trickled down into the other areas of the team......LB's, secondary, and I thin it even affected the offense's rhythm. With Cutler, Marshall and Scheffle we have our triangle in the pass game. And with Young and Hall, and Mike Bell, Travis Henry becomes expendable, but even if he stays we still have a decent run game. Special temas will have to improve, and we may need a new special temas coach cause this year was ridiculous, but other than that no changes need to be made. We just need continuity more than anything. No team goes to the superbowl with a bunch of new faces every year.
      I thought the Broncos were a few players away going into this season, but they are a lot further than that now. That O-line looked totally inadequate against the Chargers (not to mention the Jaguars, the Lions, the Colts, the Bears, the Raiders. . . .)

I don't think anybody can say that they just need another year. They need some new talent and THEN they need to play together. But there's no evidence that this present OL is good enough to protect Cutler.

As for the d-line a lot will depend on the development of the rookies next year. If Moss, Crowder and Thomas all improve in their 2nd year, then that's the basis of a decent line. With Ekuban coming back (maybe) they would be set at DE, but DT would still be a problem.

Alvin McKinley played decently as a backup, but he's no more than that at best. Thomas was a rookie and played like one. They just have to hope he gets better next year.

But, DTs Kenny Peterson and Josh Mallard are not the kind of players you want if you are serious about going to the playoffs. They are scrubs.

Meanwhile who replaces Lynch at safety? Saying something totally ridiculous like "Brandon Browner and Sam Brandon" neither of whom are here or are going to be here or were particularly good when they were here or can even play in the NFL due to injury, just points out how hard it will be to replace Lynch.

If Javon could be convinced to come back and play a role in the offense, that would solve one big problem. But, he wants to be the #1 WR and he won't be with Marshall here. That's his biggest complaint. He wants to go elsewhere.

Unfortunately, he can force a trade simply by refusing to re-do his contract. There's NO way the Broncos are going to pay him a $4 million roster bonus in 2008. They will have to cut him.

I was counting on him being smart enough to realize that he has very little leverage as a FA. He's coming off the second season lost to the same knee injury in the last 3 years. No team is going to just give him the #1 WR job.

At best a team lacking in WR talent will gamble by signing him as a FA to an incentive laden contract. Then he'll have to compete to be the #1 WR. If he succeeds, then he'll get paid. If not, then he'll be cut or relegated to the bench somewhere.

But, like Lelie before him, he's so full of himself he can't stand the demotion to #2. Lelie could have stayed and been the #2 WR this season in Javon's absence, but NO! He demanded a trade and wound up sitting on the bench in S.F. as the #3!

That wasn't a very smart move for him, but his pride dictated that he demand to be moved to another team. Same thing for Javon.

I over-estimated his intelligence. Apparently, his agent hasn't been able to talk any sense into him or he'd know that his best chance would be to come back strong in 2008, put up big #s, which he could easily do if he's healthy. Then become a FA in 2009 and get the kind of contract that his talent dictates -- i.e. something in the range of $15-20 million guaranteed including a big signing bonus.

He won't get anything like that this year. He'll probably have to come in for something around the veteran minimum or close to it, with incentives. Unless he can prove he can get healthy and stay healthy and that his knee isn't affecting him, he's not worth much to any team.
      Last edited by Cugel; 12-31-2007, 04:13 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel View Post
        I thought the Broncos were a few players away going into this season, but they are a lot further than that now. That O-line looked totally inadequate against the Chargers (not to mention the Jaguars, the Lions, the Colts, the Bears, the Raiders. . . .)

I don't think anybody can say that they just need another year. They need some new talent and THEN they need to play together. But there's no evidence that this present OL is good enough to protect Cutler.

As for the d-line a lot will depend on the development of the rookies next year. If Moss, Crowder and Thomas all improve in their 2nd year, then that's the basis of a decent line. With Ekuban coming back (maybe) they would be set at DE, but DT would still be a problem.

Alvin McKinley played decently as a backup, but he's no more than that at best. Thomas was a rookie and played like one. They just have to hope he gets better next year.

But, DTs Kenny Peterson and Josh Mallard are not the kind of players you want if you are serious about going to the playoffs. They are scrubs.

Meanwhile who replaces Lynch at safety? Saying something totally ridiculous like "Brandon Browner and Sam Brandon" neither of whom are here or are going to be here or were particularly good when they were here or can even play in the NFL due to injury, just points out how hard it will be to replace Lynch.

If Javon could be convinced to come back and play a role in the offense, that would solve one big problem. But, he wants to be the #1 WR and he won't be with Marshall here. That's his biggest complaint. He wants to go elsewhere.

Unfortunately, he can force a trade simply by refusing to re-do his contract. There's NO way the Broncos are going to pay him a $4 million roster bonus in 2008. They will have to cut him.

I was counting on him being smart enough to realize that he has very little leverage as a FA. He's coming off the second season lost to the same knee injury in the last 3 years. No team is going to just give him the #1 WR job.

At best a team lacking in WR talent will gamble by signing him as a FA to an incentive laden contract. Then he'll have to compete to be the #1 WR. If he succeeds, then he'll get paid. If not, then he'll be cut or relegated to the bench somewhere.

But, like Lelie before him, he's so full of himself he can't stand the demotion to #2. Lelie could have stayed and been the #2 WR this season in Javon's absence, but NO! He demanded a trade and wound up sitting on the bench in S.F. as the #3!

That wasn't a very smart move for him, but his pride dictated that he demand to be moved to another team. Same thing for Javon.

I over-estimated his intelligence. Apparently, his agent hasn't been able to talk any sense into him or he'd know that his best chance would be to come back strong in 2008, put up big #s, which he could easily do if he's healthy. Then become a FA in 2009 and get the kind of contract that his talent dictates -- i.e. something in the range of $15-20 million guaranteed including a big signing bonus.

He won't get anything like that this year. He'll probably have to come in for something around the veteran minimum or close to it, with incentives. Unless he can prove he can get healthy and stay healthy and that his knee isn't affecting him, he's not worth much to any team.
        We had all the players going into this year, and we were a sleeper team to a lot of people, mainly because od the deaths we suffered, many thought we would all come together and have a magical season. Also, many were excited about the Bates hiring. He said all the right things at first, "Less shifting, more power on the line...play with more discipline and etc" it all sounded great, but then all the bizarre cuts happened and we went downhill from there. We lost every defensive tackle we had last year who contributed to that top 10 rushing defense, just before the season started. That was a big mistake obviously, but if we plug those holes with big strong tackles, Champ and Dre will make plays in the secondary......... guranteed. Our offensive line gave up like what 30 sacks this year? Thats not too shabby, though I agree we got work to do there, since it seems to be consensus Lepsis wasnt the same this year, and with Hamilton in doubt, and Nalen a year older, I'm sure we'll look at some people to fill holes there. Even though it seemed we were dealing with all scrubs on the o-line with all the injuries and everything, we still did OK imo. We're not dominat in the trenches like we used to be but besides the goalline, we're still solid on the line.

We're really not far from a championship, its more attitude than personnel, except on the d-line.
        dont let him pull dat move on ya, dont let him pull that move.......................oh no dats da move! TOUCHDOWN!!!

I tried to warn ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Cugel View Post

Yea, nobody saw the outcome of this year coming.

We suffered from a severe injury bug (No excuses though), inconsistent play from our young players who were replacing some of the injured players.

And finally we suffered from a lack coherence. A new Defensive scheme, a new CB, a new MLB and leader of the Defense, a brand new D-Line. All in all, Bly, Webster, Engelberger, Burton, Adams, and Dumervil were all new starters on opening day with D.J moving to the middle.

How can anybody expect to win with such a lack of coherence?

Well such lack of Defensive coherence led to a terrible Rushing Defense which trickled down and effected the whole Defense and even offense as other teams controlled the ball and screwed with our rythem. That IMO was the sole reason we did not make the playoffs, with some injury's mixed in there.

So, I beleive we are a few pieces away, and "ripping" this team apart is not the answer.

Getting a run stuffing DT can make all the diffrence, and that is one piece. Just look at the impact DT's like Haynesworth, Rogers and Tommie Harris in Chicago when they are in the lineup and then when they are out. There is a major diffrence.

So, yes with a healthy team, a more developed team, and finally one or two good additions on both lines how are we not contenders?

Blowing up this team will only continue our struggles and hurt Cutler. Everybody knows, as well as the players, there is enough talent on this team. There is no reason to start from make "major" changes.

In the end that would only hurt the team.

Look at Clevland, Tampa Bay, Green Bay and the Jags. All of those teams struggled last year but did not make "Major" changes. They stuck with what they had, gave there team a sence of coherence, and added the right players to fit there needs.

Obviously those teams were a couple additions away.

Comment

I pointed out in another thread that we've replaced 15 starters since 2005 (along with a positional change or two) and had 5 or 6 coaching changes. That's a hell of a turnover. And it's really disrupted our chemistry as Nick Ferguson put quite well in his locker room interview (see my sig). We could've been in the playoffs this year...but so many things beyond the team's control have gone wrong this year (and some which have been its fault admittedly) that I think we could be a dark horse next year provided that we have a lucky offseason.
            sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Originally posted by muse View Post
              I pointed out in another thread that we've replaced 15 starters since 2005 (along with a positional change or two) and had 5 or 6 coaching changes. That's a hell of a turnover. And it's really disrupted our chemistry as Nick Ferguson put quite well in his locker room interview (see my sig). We could've been in the playoffs this year...but so many things beyond the team's control have gone wrong this year (and some which have been its fault admittedly) that I think we could be a dark horse next year provided that we have a lucky offseason.
              yea, we are a 7-9 team. We are not the Miami Dolphins.

For a team like Miami they need as much turnover as possible, but alot of turnover will only hurt us even more. We know we have a talented core, so role with it.

If you look at the Pats for example, they have kept almost all of there team intact for the past couple of years with some carefully thought out additions.
              There is no reason we cannot win with the player's we have now, with few exeptions like Henry or maybe Walker. A couple of impact additions and we are in good shape.

Comment

Draft or sign a LT and move Lepsis back to RT for the rest of his career.

Comment

Originally posted by rockrules40 View Post
                  Draft or sign a LT and move Lepsis back to RT for the rest of his career.
                  Ryan Clady.

He should be our first round pick this year.

Comment

I doubt # 2 receiver is a high priority. Walker's departure will leave us searching for depth though. I'm not too high on Berrian. If a receiver was picked up, it would be better to get one that was in a "west coast" system. Less of an adjustment period. Andre Davis or maybe DJ Hackett are on my wish list. Davis is a dangerous return man and showed flashes when replacing injured Andre Johnson. Then again, houston and seattle might not let them go. That being said, some kind of improvement in the trenches should take presidence this offseason.
                    Last edited by Who'sTheMaster; 12-31-2007, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Fwiw......

Originally posted by Chidoze View Post
                      Lepsis was so out of character this season. Either his knee wasnt healed or he was scared to test it....I dont know. I've heard that it takes a full year to recover so we'll see.

But if the Broncos decide he's the man for the job, I hope next season is a big bounce back for him.

Jim Armstrong and Terry Frei believe he'll retire......

Comment

Working...
                      X