ARTICLE: Bates poised to walk Shanahan's plank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arapaho View Post
    we averaged 7th in defensive scoreing under coyers tenure?..in fact in 06 while the offense was averging 12.4 points a game the coyer defense was allowing less then seven...soi failto see how us averging more then twenty (which we didnt in 06 until cutler came in)made the defense look good?

other then bly for williams which is better ...we only mainly had four differant player positions...
    unlessyou count dj for wilson which wasnt a drop off by anymeans
    the lb that replaced dj
    and adams for warren
    and thomas for veal
    and doom for ekuban,although doom played alot lastyear

the talent isnt that much differnat then lastseason and certainly not so drastic a decline that the defense becomes a laughingstock

every one else was a player in the coyer system
    The only people that were in Coyer's system this year is DJ, Gold, Lynch, and Champ. Everyone else on the defense is new.

You're answering your own questions in your post, buddeh.

Besides you can't blame the defensive coordinater that wasn't running his scheme, or even calling the plays at the end of the season when we played the worst.

Like I had pointed out before in one of my previous posts; at what point in the season did the front seven look like it knew what it was doing? What I saw this year was an undisciplined front, that caused the rest of the defense to suffer.
    Careful what you wish for, Darth , cause here comes the worst DC in the league...... -stnzd
    What's that? Need proof? http://dack.com/archive/bob-slowik-must-be-fired.html

Goodbye social life...

My Mojo!

Comment

Originally posted by arapaho View Post
      well tobe honest,,i was more then willing to part ways with coyer...what i saw was a good defensive cordinator that got the absalute most out of what he had...
      what i didnt like was the dc that sometimes got outthunk,and certainly in most games got out coached in the second half...he was all for something..in o5 it was all out blitz,,we still struggled to get to the qb as the safety had the mostsacks on the team, in 06 he went to a laid back,rush four and the sack numbers did improve but the overall defense went down a little..why i dont know

so i was more then happy to usher in a well know bates...now i think that was a mistake

i say take two dcs one an extremly good defensive coach and one justa so so guy...give them the exact same players...what one would have the better defense? more then likely the better coach
      we gave bates the almost identical defense talent wise as coyer had...and it went totaly down hill...to me that speaks volumes

True, it means out of the 11 players we have in defense 4 out of the 11
      (champ, DJ, Doomer, Bly) were actually good and the other 7 were over the hill, too stupid or just flat out scrubs.

Granted Lynch should be counted as one of the better players but right now his ability to come back to the game is questionable by far as His age has truly show through this year.

The rest of defense could be consider more of the 2nd string personnel or even 3rd string. They are just flat out scrubs and because Shanny wont spend the cash on the front 7. Browncos and whatever does not work but maybe this will be his wakeup call.

Hopefully this year after we address our last secondary concern we can use most of the last few draft picks up front again... while we give Jay a few more offensive tools.

Look for Bates to stay on hand at reduced duties and salary, while we try fishing for a better DC for year 3
      McDaniles Career as a failure of a Head Coach is being fulfilled. Termination of McFailure has happen.

Rejoice Bronco Fans we have taken our team back, but at a heavy cost.

Comment

I dont think bates fits the broncos at all...JUst look at the year Champ had obviously something is radically different this year and I would have to say it is bates..PLus I think Bly was a total let down he got faked out and burned in critical games that got us beat....
        sigpic

GO BRONCOS IN 2008

Comment

Drew Litton:

"The Buzzard is hovering and Jim Bates knows it."

Comment

Originally posted by hudd76 View Post
            I dont think bates fits the broncos at all...JUst look at the year Champ had obviously something is radically different this year and I would have to say it is bates..PLus I think Bly was a total let down he got faked out and burned in critical games that got us beat....
            I just can't ignore this......

Good thing I seldom flame n00bs.
            Careful what you wish for, Darth , cause here comes the worst DC in the league...... -stnzd
            What's that? Need proof? http://dack.com/archive/bob-slowik-must-be-fired.html

Goodbye social life...

My Mojo!

Comment

Originally posted by delirium_05 View Post
              Wasn't Slowik left calling the plays?

When Bates was actually calling the plays I saw alot more LB blitzes. I remember game one DJ got his only sack and it was a loss of more than 10. The only reason we scrapped it early was because are damned LB are horrible at gap control. If anything I blame the LB's coach for not keeping these guys disciplined. What good is a LB he can't even do the most basic thing a LB is supposed to do? The main guy at fault is ofcourse Nate Webster, this guy over ran so many damned plays he left DJ, and Gold trying to cover for his mistake.

Don't believe pull up tape from the Jacksonville game, and you'll see them constantly getting run out of the play. Need more proof? Look at the last San Diego game LT was basing his cuts off where Webster was his gap.
              whoever is calling plays makes me want to jump from a tall place

and if it was slowik, why? do they not trust bates to make the calls?
              Orange Crush Fantasy League sign ups. All the cool kids are doing it.

Rivers has probably now the fastest release in the NFL that Favre is retired. - riversOWNSdonks
              Rivers has the potential to be better than Brady or any QB ever - riversOWNSdonks

Comment

Yea and I think Bly did great. You forget how long they were in coverage. Even Champ was getting beat, thats becuase. A no over the top help. And B No pass rush on the QB.

I think we can assume every QB even the backups can throw if they have time. It's no supprise that even scrubs like Rivers and V.Young were looking good.
                Last edited by SlyBronco; 01-04-2008, 02:03 AM.

:salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

Comment

Thats exactly my point with bly and champ...When we picked up bly and where so excited about 2 shut down corners the defensive schemes just where not jelling with them to use them to the best of there abilities..The front 8 we actually used cause of the run threat and getting no pressure on the opposing qb's left there recievers able to eventually get into the passing windows needed for key first downs and red zone td's..So I dont think we have the front 7 to pull it off and will take to long to implement so get rid of bates and go back to what we where doing the past years..Which is stopping the run with 7 men and giving champ and bly the chance to make key plays to stop the passing threat completly!!!!!!!!!
                  sigpic

GO BRONCOS IN 2008

Comment

Thats exactly my point with bly and champ...When we picked up bly and where so excited about 2 shut down corners the defensive schemes just where not jelling with them to use them to the best of there abilities..The front 8 we actually used cause of the run threat and getting no pressure on the opposing qb's left there recievers able to eventually get into the passing windows needed for key first downs and red zone td's..So I dont think we have the front 7 to pull it off and will take to long to implement so get rid of bates and go back to what we where doing the past years..Which is stopping the run with 7 men and giving champ and bly the chance to make key plays to stop the passing threat completly!!!!!!!!!
                    I dont think we need to get rid of Bates to do that. Im aware of his past failurs on other teams. But it seems to me. That those teams had problems before he got there.

I think we should give Bates another year. but thats just my rough opinion, I really do not know alot about what coaches are out there . But I do know that our Dline was a huge problem. Didnt matter who our coach was with that Dline.

:salute!: !!Get well soon!!:salute!:

Comment

coaching staff

I agree with alot of you guys, they'd better get ride of gates and the D-line coach Johnson cuz that whole year was sick to watch. How did we ever get away from what we use to do in our superbowl years becuase we 4sure have the players to get back to the glory years. I know Pat Bowlen wont be happy about paying out thier contracts, but PLEASE PAT!!! if ur reading this Go Big this off-season, get whatever players or coaches we need, because all of us fans are dying to see redemption in 08'. Its been a generally winning franchise, But lets be real, we want another superbowl. If you do your part Pat Bowlen, I assure the fans will take care of you back and will appreciate you even more. Many teams who have a bad season make alot of talk in the off-season about geting better the following season. Here in Denver, we dont want to just hear talk, we want action and results. I want to finish by saying Im lovin alot of profiles and comments from my fellow broncos fans out there. NICE JOB GUYS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gr3yStreet View Post
                        It's probably totally unfair to fire to Bates after only one year, in which Shannahan totally failed to provide him with the players necessary to run his scheme.

Unfortunately, life's not fair and in Denver, some one has to burn for a season like this one.
                        True, but who. Shanny or Bates?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaPirateFunk View Post
                          whoever is calling plays makes me want to jump from a tall place

and if it was slowik, why? do they not trust bates to make the calls?
                          Basically once Bates' scheme was dropped after week 5, they wanted to turn over the playcalling to someone more familiar with the scheme the Broncos utilized from that point after.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X